The Lunch-Date

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 

✻ chapter six:
the lunch-date
eun mi's pov
 
 

I was at a table in a place called "Bong Goo's Restaurant" with Kingka L.Joe sitting across from me. No, there is absolutely no reason to be nervous. Not unless someone from school sees us, gossips, and then BAM. It's on the school newspaper. It possibly couldn't happen.

I looked down into my lap. This was a really uncomfortable feeling because I've never eaten out before and because L.Joe was sitting in front of me. "What do you want to eat?" He asked me.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'll take whatever's cheapest on the menu."

L.Joe laughed. "You know, I'm not a beggar. Order anything you want. I'll pay for it."

I wasn't a picky eater, but I didn't really have any favorites. "Then I'll eat whatever you eat."

He ordered some paella, so I got the same. For the first few minutes, we just sat there in silence and ate out lunch until my curiosity got the best of me.

"L.Joe, why did you challenge me in front of everybody?"

He looked up and hesitated to answer the question. "I'll tell you after the talent show."

"Why not now?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Just because."

"Fine, then." I continued to eat my paella. "Are you going to rap and dance again this year?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I mean, that's what I'm good at."

"Don't you know how to play any instruments?" I asked him.

"Well... Yeah, I do. I know how to play the piano and the violin."

I took a sip of water. "How come you don't do that instead?"

L.Joe sighed. "Because that's not what everyone pictures me as. People think of me as the in-trend rapper, not the classical pianist or violinist."

So he was like me. We were restricted from doing what we wanted because of what other people thought of us. "I see... Do you have any problems at home?"

L.Joe stiffened and put down his utensil (A/N: lol, I just think 'utensil' is a funny word. You-TEN-sul xD). "No. I'm an only child so there's no one to argue with."

I noticed he didn't say anything about his parents, but I let him be. If he didn't want to talk about it, I respected that.
We finished our plates and a waiter came by to clean it up. They also left a small tray of sweets.

L.Joe took a piece of chocolate and popped it in his mouth. I saw a piece of caramel candy and put it in my mouth.

"Do you like caramel?" He questioned me.

"Yeah. I rarely get to eat them though, since they're expensive and not easy for a person like me to come around."

We stood up and went up to the counter to pay for our meal. L.Joe took out his money but I stopped him. I gave the cashier my money instead. I glanced at what was left in my wallet; several dollar bills. My pay for this week was almost gone, but I quickly put it away and hoped L.Joe saw nothing. Man, these places charged big bucks for just one dish.

He looked at me in disbelief when we exited the restaurant. "I can't believe a girl just paid for me."

I stuck my tongue out at him. "You better believe it. Remember that you owe me."

"How do you earn money?" L.Joe asked me, as we walked down the road to my place.

"I work." I simply said. I didn't like talking about money. He followed as I turned a corner.

"Oh. It must be hard to go to school, study, and handle a job too."

I shook my head. "You get used to it after a couple years." We got to my apartment. I hoped L.Joe didn't laugh at me for living in such a shack. I stumbled over the steps of my apartment and steadied myself. L.Joe's eyes widened and his hand caught my arm. "Are you okay?"

I withdrawed my arm and nodded. "I'm fine."

L.Joe saw my bandaged leg. "What happened to your leg?"

"Nothing much." I opened the door to my apartment and slipped inside before he could make a fuss. "Thanks for eating with me. But I'm still going to beat you in the talent show!"

He smiled. "Good luck then." He left and I shut the door. My hands crept up to my cheeks. Why was he acting like this? He was my rival, yet we just ate lunch together. Is this normal? 

I shook my head. It was probably just a scheme to have me let my guard down. That's what it was. I logged onto my blog, hoping I would forget about that situation. 

 

Yeah, Namsan High is great! I like it here. And yes, she really does act like you. When I first met her, I immiedately thought of you. Weird, right? :D By the way, I took your suggestion into account and I formed a dance group at school! Thank you!

-Black Angel

 

I smiled. I was really glad Changjo was happy here. And should I be glad that he's Black Angel? Maybe things wouldn't be as awkward... He was getting kind of suspicious anyways...

 

That's daebak! Also, you're welcome ^^ Keke, I know I'm a genius... And what's the girl's name? What does she look like?

~SilverStar

 

I wondered how he would reply. Would he say I was an average-looking girl? 

I logged off and wandered over to my storage closet. I opened it and looked inside. I could see my guitar case in the back. I squeezed myself inside and carried out box after box of... things I didn't even know I had. Seriously, what did I own that was this heavy? 

I reached my instrument and hauled it out into my room. I carefully set it on my bed and opened it. Dust drifted everywhere and I coughed. I picked up the handle and set it on my lap. My guitar was still in good condition. 

I strummed a few notes and let the sound stay in the air. I felt nostalgic, as though I was reuniting with an old friend. I sat there on my bed for the rest of the evening, playing with my guitar and trying to sing along.