The Date

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
✻ chapter twentytwo:
the date
eun mi's pov
 

I really had no idea what I was going to wear for my date with Changjo. Usually I wouldn't be worrying about something so useless, but I didn't want him to be seen with a plain and ugly girl like me that couldn't even dress properly.

I took out the outfit I had worn to the talent show. Maybe I could just wear this with jeans and those flats Sooyoung let me borrow.

I decided to let my hair down, like always. But should I wear my glasses or not? I chose not to and put in my contacts again. Gosh, they were so uncomfortable.

I left my apartment and walked to the park Changjo had told me about. I sat down on one of the swings and waited for him to come.

The kids playing on the play structure were leaving to have dinner with their families. I looked at my iPod, which said 4:17pm. Where was he? He was late.

I tried once more to get the swing to, well, swing. But it didn't work. I must look like a fool right now.

Then I felt someone push me. I went forward and the cold breeze stung my ears. I gripped the chains, hoping I wouldn't fall off.

"Ya, Changjo! Don't do that!"

I looked back at him. He was grinning like an idiot. "It looked like you needed some help."

I stuck my tongue out. "Merong~"

He pushed me again and I held on for dear life, which was really hard considering that my wrists were sore. "I wouldn't be sticking out my tongue if I were you."

"Ya! Stop!" I cried, half-giggling and half-scared out of my wits.

He gave me one final push and I lost my grip around the chains. With a small gasp, I fell off the swing and into the bark chips.

"Eun Mi!" Changjo ran over to me. I stared down at the ground, my hair covering my face so he wouldn't see my expression. "Are you alright?"

He leaned down and I sprung up on my feet. Then I jumped onto his back. He let out a surprised gasp.

"Ya, Park Eun Mi! What are you doing?!"

I giggled. "This is what you get for not listening to me!"

I hung onto his shoulders so I wouldn't fall off. He struggled with balancing himself and he stumbled left and right.

"Ya, get off right now!"

"Never!"

"Stop pulling my hair! It hurts!"

"I'm not pulling anything!"

After what seemed like World War II, he finally fell over and we toppled to the ground. I looked over at him and saw his hair all ruffled, sticking all over the place. He caught my eye and we both laughed.

"I can't believe I just did that!" I exclaimed.

He chuckled and ruffled my hair in revenge. "You look better without glasses, you know."

I blushed and he help me get up. "T-thanks."

I fixed his hair and he fixed mine. "So... your punishment ends tomorow."

"Huh? Oh, yeah..." 

"So I guess that means you don't have to be my girlfriend anymore." He looked away but took my hand. "Anyways, follow me."

Changjo led me to a frozen yogurt shop called Menchies. It was fairly small but very cute and crowded with people. 

"Kaja!" I followed him over to the place where we got the frozen delight and toppings. I couldn't reach one of the handles and he leaned over to pull it for me. His face was so close to mine...

We sat down at a table next to a window. Changjo had gotten mint yogurt with bits of chocolate and syrup while I got vanilla with caramel syrup and mochi bits.  I ate a spoonful and smiled. I haven't had anything so sweet and sugary in a long time.

"Is it good?" He asked me.

I tilted my head and nodded with the spoon still in my mouth. 

He gave me one of his eye-smiles. "You're so cute~"

I blushed but continued eating. We talked about nonsense stuff that any couple would talk about; school, friends, anything. It was a really enjoyable date. 

When we got silent, I leaned across the table and put some ice cream on Changjo's nose.

"Ya, what was that for?"

I giggled as he crossed his eyes, trying to look at his nose. "I don't know."

He leaned forward and wiped some chocolate syrup on my cheek. "Sweet revenge!"

After staying at the shop for a while, Changjo walked me home, like always. Before going in, I smiled and was secretly sad about how short our date was. "Thanks, Changjo. I had a really fun time!"

"I did too." He gave me a warm hug but when he pulled away, his expression had turned serious. "Eun Mi..."

"Y-yeah?"

"You know that L.Joe and I both like you, right?"

I looked down and fidgeted my feet. "Yeah..."

"We both decided on giving you a chance to pick one."

I looked up at him. "Mwuh?"

"Think about it, alright?" He gave me a sweet kiss and left me standing there in my sea of thoughts.

I watched him leave until he disappeared around a corner. Did he just say pick? As in choose one of them?