The Mysterious New Kid

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
✻ chapter one:
the mysterious new kid
eun mi's pov
 
 
My alarm woke me from my sleep. I rolled over and shut the dang thing up, not wanting to start my day. 
 
Eventually, I climbed out of bed and changed into my school uniform. I freshened up in the bathroom quickly before I tied my hair into two messy braids and put on my nerdy-looking glasses. I grabbed my schoolbag, a granola bar, and headed out the door of my small apartment and to Namsan High.
 
I slowly dragged my body along the sidewalk as I listen to my music on my iPod. Upon arriving at my school, I head to my locker, get my textbooks, go to my history class, and sit down in the far end of the classroom near the windows.
 
My classmates were loud and noisy, as usual, acting like foolish kids. I watched a group of guys pick on a girl by grabbing her notebook and running away with it. I sat there silently, waiting for the teacher to come and do attendance. When she does, I am almost marked absent (again) because I barely even squeaked out an audible 'Here'.
 
The rest of my school day was like that; I was ignored and talked to no one. During lunch, I sat all by myself under the cherry-blossom tree in the corner of the schoolyard  and chewed on my peanut butter sandwich. When we were supposed to pair up with partners for a game in gym, I was left out and tried to play badminton with only one player. 
 
When the Queenkas of the school (Kwon Yuri, Im Yoona, and Jessica) bumped into me in the hallway and made me drop all my books, they recoiled in fear as if I had sprouted several elephant trunks from my head.  "Ew, a nerd!" They walked away with a huff and their fellow Queenka wannabes kicked my books while giving me glares. When school let out and everyone went home, I was the only one walking alone.
 
I got home, finished my homework and ate a bowl of instant ramen. The rest of the night I sat on the floor, leaning against the wall and listening to my Kpop music from my iPod.
 
As you can see, I'm a very interesting person.
 
I have lived like this for the past three years. There is nothing special about me; I'm not the prettiest girl at my school, I'm not the smartest, I'm not the most athletic, I'm not the cutest, I'm not the most talented, I'm not I'm not I'm not. The only place where I am acknowledged is on the Internet.
 
A few years ago, I started a blog just to see how far it could go. On the blog site I am known as SilverStar. My only hobby is listening to music and being a photographer, so I post some song reviews and some pictures I take out of boredom. Sometimes I also rant about the problems at my school; guys and their stupid pride, girls and their fail aegyo. My posts get views, but I know nobody really cares.
 
The one thing I like the most about having a blog is because of Black Angel.
 
Black Angel is another blogger on this website that strangely decided to befriend me. His blog is all about dancing, so I assume he is a dancer. He likes to talk to me about the most odd things; the weather, the news, and so forth. But I like listening to him (or reading his messages, in this case) because...it's hard to explain, but his words are so elegant and soothing in a way. Black Angel also told me he lived in the same area as me, so who knows? Maybe we will cross paths someday. Only, he would think how could I be such a boring person.
 
I logged onto my blog to see if Black Angel had replied to my messages, but my inbox said 'Empty'.
 
With a sigh, I passed by the hanging mirror on my bathroom door and was disgusted at what I saw. A pale, thin, fragile-looking girl that was no more than 5'1" tall. Her black slightly-wavy hair was now in a tangled ponytail and her bangs were way too long, covering her dull brown eyes. Her black thick-framed glasses took up almost half her face. I looked away and climbed into bed, going to sleep early today.
 
 
-- --
 
 
I lazily woke up the next morning and went through my usual morning routine of brushing my teeth and changing clothes. Still having time left over until school started, I checked my blog for any updates and saw that Black Angel had sent me a message.
 
 
Black Angel sent you a message 4 hours ago: 
 
Annyeong, Star! Guess what? I'm transferring schools! And in the middle of the school year too... My mom is nuts! Apparently, she doesn't like the idea of me becoming a dancer, so we're moving away from my friends and away from my dance group. She says I won't get a good pay if I continue on that path and it's a waste of my time. I wanted to say listening to her yak on and on about that is a waste of my time, but I dare not. *grin* Reply back soon!
 
-Black Angel
 
 
I smiled and began to type a reply. It was just like him to be positive about everything.
 
 
Annyeong! Your mother is a buttface *giggle* I have never called anybody that since 1st grade... Now I feel immature xD What's the name of the school you're transferring to? And what are you going to do about dancing now? You're not gonna give up, are you? Because that's not the Black Angel I know...
 
~SilverStar☆
 
 
The only person I have ever called a buttface was L.Joe, when we were a little kids in first grade. I remember it pretty well, because he poured liquid glue into my hair. I had to cut it short and it took me ages to get it the length it is now.
 
L.Joe is a Kingka at Namsan High, and he is a member of what the fangirls call 'Teen Top', a group of guys that are supposedly the hottest at our school. But really, I see nothing special in them. They were still just guys and I didn't have any interest in them.
 
I looked at the time and quickly grabbed my schoolbag to head to school. I was going to be late! But it's not like anyone would notice if I was there or not, so why even bother going?  Nevertheless, I got to school and sat down in my regular spot before class began.
 
"Aish! You're so stupid!" A girl's voice rang out.
 
A boy's voice replied, "Compared to you, I'm a genius."
 
"Wipe that smirk off your face or I'll do it for you!"
 
I couldn't stand the noise so I put my earbuds in and turned my music up loud, not noticing the teacher coming in with a student trailing behind her. When I did, I yanked out my earbuds but I already missed half of what was happening.
 
"-treat me well. Kamsahabnida." The new guy student bowed.
 
I heard deafening squeals come from the girls in the room. When he lifted his head up he caught my eye. He smiled and I immediately looked away.
 
"So, for right now, could you sit in the empty seat in front of...uh..." The teacher had to check the student roster to remember my name. I slid down a little in my seat, turning a bit red while the class snickered at me. "Ah, Park Eun Mi. Please raise your hand, Eun Mi."
 
I slowly raised my hand and received a bunch of glares from his new fangirls. He smiled a genuine smile at me and sat down. This reminded me a scene from a manga or anime, where the new cute guy is placed right next to the main character every time. But I'm a nobody. Why would I be the main character?
 
As the teacher went on and on about some important person that changed the government or something, I studied the new kid. I missed his name, but I had a feeling I was going to know soon from all the gossip the other girls spread. He was pretty tall, and he had black hair that swept across his forehead. The front part of his bangs were dyed red and looked somewhat cool. When he turned to the left to look out the window, his warm brown eyes seem to sparkle.
 
Guessing he was going to become the new Kingka at Namsan High, I took out my photography portfolio. They were basically just pictures of nature; trees, flowers, birds, sunset, etc. But they were full of color and gave me a breath of fresh air. I don't really know why I keep them and what to do with them though, since they're not good enough for people to acknowledge.
 
"Wow, those are beautiful pictures! Did you take them?" A gentle voice said.
 
I quickly shut my portfolio closed and covered it with my hands. I looked up to see the new kid turned around. I didn't answer and just stared blankly at him. In my mind, I was trying to telepathically tell him to turn back around.
 
"Changjo, is there something wrong?" The teacher asked. Everyone in the room looked at us.
 
The new kid turned around and beamed at the teacher. "Aniyo, teacher."
 
The teacher smiled. "Okay then. Everyone, pair up with partners and answer this question sheet. It's due at the end of class."
 
There was a large uproar as the girls in the class huddled around the transfer student, Changjo.
 
"I call Changjo!" A girl pushed herself to the front, only to be pushed aside. "No, I call Changjo!"
 
There was this huge commotion before Changjo stood up and said, "Mianhaeyo, but I'm working with Eun Mi."
 
The class was stunned. Several girls standing closest to us gasped. "What?"
 
I looked at him in disbelief. "What?"
 
He just grinned. "Mianhae. Maybe next time?"
 
The girls sat down with a pout and Changjo faced me. "Sorry for doing that. I just didn't want to sit with any of those crazy girls."
 
I could understand why, so I said nothing and nodded.
 
"Anyways, you seem like a nice person." The new boy continued.
 
I was speechless. Nobody has ever told me that ever since...my best friend left me. Why would a nerdy student seem like a nice person? Right now, I just stared at this new stranfer student. I'm the most boring person on earth. Is this part of a bet he made? Becoming my friend so he could win a bet of some sort? But he just transferred here, so why would he take a bet or a dare?
 
Changjo looked up from the assignment sheet he was writing on. "What? Is something wrong?" He said it with a concerned tone.
 
I shook my head. "Nothing..."
 
He gave the paper to me. "Here, write your name."
 
I looked where he wrote his name. It said Choi Changjo in neat handwriting. I wrote Park Eun Mi under it with my silver pen. It looked weird because his words slanted to the left and mine slanted to the right.
 
During the remaining class time, we completed the sheet in awkward silence; he would answer a question, then I would, then back to him. It was so weird for me because I've never been anybody's partner and nobody has been mine.
 
When history was over, I headed over to my locker. I opened it and took out my math textbook. On the inside door of my locker was a bunch of sticky notes. One said "Saengil Chugahahabnida, Park Eun Mi! You're the best friend ever!" Another one said "Seohyun loves you! Hwaiting on your guitar recital!" There was also a picture at the bottom of the door. It was of a girl with straight black hair, smiling shyly next to a girl with her hair in brown luscious waves and holding up a peace sign with her fingers. 
 
That was Seohyun and I three years ago. If you looked at the picture, then at me, then at the picture again, you wouldn't believe that we were the same person. The girl in the picture seemed much more happier.
 
I shut the door to my locker and turned to come face-to-face with Changjo, who was standing right behind my locker door the whole time. Startled, I started to stumble but he grabbed me and stopped my fall. Blushing, I quickly pushed him away and regained my composure. "What are you doing, Changjo?
 
He innocently held out his schedule. "Could you show me where my next class is?" I took the piece of paper from him. It said 'Cha Ki Bong, Math'. He was in the same class as me! I quickly scanned the rest of his schedule. Aside from his last period, he was in all of my classes! I mentally groaned.
 
"Follow me." I returned his schedule to him and walked past him. I heard footsteps following behind me and the squeaking of the rubber insoles against the tile floor. I could just imagine him right now, following me with a stupid grin on his face.
 
My life is totally turning into a Japanese Anime show.