The Video Chat

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 

✻ chapter eight:
the video chat
eun mi's pov
 
 

Why. Did. I. Press. Accept. 

My heart was beating fast as my webcam loaded. My face appeared on the right side of the screen. The left side was black before it flickered and Changjo's face appeared. I bit my lip and shut my eyes. I was as nervous as heck. What would Changjo say? "You're SilverStar? No way. You tricked me! How could you! Don't ever talk to me again!"

"Annyeong, Eun Mi."

I opened my eyes and looked at Changjo on the screen. He was smiling and didn't look one bit surprised. "Changjo, you knew it was me?"

He grinned. "Well, you knew I was Black Angel, right?"

I blushed, embarrased that I thought he didn't know. "Yeah."

"It was pretty obvious, though. You acted way too similar and too predictable." 

I laughed. "I don't major in acting, you know... But if you knew it was me, then why didn't you say so earlier?"

"I don't know... I just wanted to see the really cute expression on your face." Changjo said. 

My eyes darted away from him. Me? Cute? He was always making me blush.

"Anyways, how is your talent show performance coming along? I heard from Sooyoung that you are awesome with the guitar."

I waved my hands. "I'm not very good. She exagerrated." 

"Stop denying every compliment that's given to you. I'm sure you're amazing." I blushed even redder from Changjo's smile. Although he was on a laptop screen, his smile was ever so bright and warm. 

"Is the dance team going to participate in the talent show?" I asked. I never thought about it until now.

"Yeah..."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Changjo fidgeted in his seat. "Because I didn't want you to worry about more competition."

"I'll root for you! If I don't win, it should be you guys."

He looked thoughtful. "If our dance team wins, will you and L.Joe become my 'servant' for a week?"

It wasn't a bad idea. Becoming Changjo's 'slave' for a week didn't seem so awful. "Sure! But what about L.Joe? Will he agree?"

"I'll ask him tomorrow at school. He'll agree."

"Okay." I paused before asking another question. "Can you keep this a secret? You know, us being blog-buddies? I don't want other people to know..."

"Sure. Between you and me." He raised his hand to the screen. "Pinky swear?"

It was childish, but I smiled and raised my pinky to the screen. "Pinky-swear."

A phone rang on Changjo's side and I told him to take it. He picked it up. "Yeoboseyo? Yeah? Oh... arasseo, I got it."

He hung up and I leaned forward. 'Who was it?"

"It was Sooyoung. She needs help with something back home."

"Then where are you right now?"

"I'm at a quiet park, sitting against a wall. Who knew there was wi-fi here?" He stood up. "I have to go now. Talk later?"

I nodded. "Alright. See you tomorrow at school."

He disconnected and sadly our video chat was over. I logged off as well.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was actually nice to have Changjo to talk to. He was such a sweet and caring guy. What did I ever do to deserve someone like him to look after me and become my friend? 

 

-- --

 

The next day at school began with a horrible start. Everyone who had heard about the 'salad' incident glared and taunted at me on my way to school. But I wasn't going to give the Queenkas satisfactory. Sooyoung had agreed with me that the salad thing was stupid and wasn't worth worrying about. So I carried on with the day and survived through the classes.

Whenever I made contact with Changjo I didn't feel as awkward as I did before. In fact, I felt more comfortable, as if I really did know him for several years as a blog-friend. In math class, I felt nervous about L.Joe. He didn't mention the lunch we had together, and I was glad he didn't since his fangirls were listening.

Lunch came and I sat with the Choi siblings again. Lunch ended and I went to all of my classes. My leg had basically healed and I participated in gym. It was just a typical school day.

After school, Changjo and Sooyoung went to the studio to practice with the crew. And I went home by myself today. For the rest of the evening, I browsed the Internet to find a song to sing for the talent show. Sooyoung told me it had to be a song where I could show off my 'powerful' vocals.

For the next few days, my life was like that. Go to school, ignore the bullies, and concentrate on singing. It was a routine for me now. And at work, more customers were coming back. I guess they couldn't resist Grandma Kim's sweets for that long. Either that or they forgot about the Queenka's stupid complaint.

Changjo would send me encouraging messages every now and then too:

 

Eun Mi, remember to practice practice practice! Practice until your hads fall off! ^^

 

Don't worry if you think you don't sound good; it's the emotion in the song that counts.

 

Eun Mi hwaiting! ♪───O(≧∇≦)O────♪

 

You know what... Maybe my life is getting better now. Maybe there really is such a thing called happiness. Or maybe there isn't.

Sooyoung dragged me to go shopping for my outfit a few days before the talent show. I know girls should love shopping and squealing over clothes, but I certainly did not.

Sooyoung made me wait for her when she saw something she liked so she could try it on and she would pick out the most girly things for me. I told her I would not wear anything that looked like a rainbow threw up on me.

So far, I had found nothing and Sooyoung had a million shopping bags in her hands. Plus, she was doing all this shopping in her heels. How does she do that?

Sooyoung agreed to take me to one last shop. It sold all sorts of teenager stuff, so I guess it was okay. I browsed through the clothes and found something that I didn't dislike. It was a light pink minidress with gray polka dots. A blue belt and a pink and gray striped scarf went with it. I tried it on before Sooyoung could nag me about it.

Sooyoung gasped dramatically. "It looks great on you! It's absolutely perfect!"

I looked at the price. "Well, it sure isn't a perfect match with my wallet." I changed back to my regular navy blue t-shirt and black shorts. "I got nothing. That dress is way too expensive."

Changjo's sister waved that thought away. "Well, I'm paying for it, so does it matter?"

I shook my head. "Don't. I feel uncomfortable if other people buy things for me. I don't want to be in debt."

Sooyoung have it to the cashier, not hearing a word I said. "It's going to be a gift. A present. So you don't need to pay me back, got it?"

"Sooyoung, I said th-"

She cut me off. "It's either that dress or I buy you the whole store. Which one do you want?"

I shut up and let her pay.

"I have a pair of flats that match! You can borrow them." She clasped her hands together. "This will be perfect!"

We exited the store and went home. At least someone was satisfied.

"And by the way, I'm totally doing your hair. I want to see what it looks like when it's curled!"

Oh God. I'm not looking for to the talent show at all.

 

 

-- --
 
 
It was Thursday, the day before the talent show. Changjo and Sooyoung were at the studio with the dance team to practice. I packed my bags and began my usual route home. When I neared the back of the school, someone pushed me into the wall. 
 
"Where do you think you're going?" Jessica told me icily. 
 
"Um... I don't know... To meet the wonderful wizard of Oz?" I replied sarcastically. 
 
"Very witty." Yuri said, crossing her arms. 
 
"Well, you're not witty enough to ignore our warning." Yoona said. "You know, the one that should've cost you your worthless job."
 
Ah, the salad incident, I recalled. "Warning for what?"
 
"To stay away from the our Kingkas." Jessica gave me a fail death squint that wouldn't have scared a fly. 
 
"I do. But they don't leave me alone." I didn't blink and stared at them dead-on. "What, you jealous?"
 
Yuri's hand hit my cheek with a loud slap. "Shut up! You think you're so smart! You're not better than us at all!"
 
I turned my head slowly, my cheek stinging and gave her the most menacing glare I could muster. "Slap me with all your might. I don't care if you hit me or kick me either. I know that's all you low-lives can do."
 
However, Jessica saw me tighten my grip on my bag. "But what about this?"
 
She yanked it from my hands. I tried to hold on but Yoona kicked my shin and I let go, falling to the ground.
 
I looked up and saw her dump out the contents of my bag. My school textbooks, notebooks, pens, and my camera fell to the ground with a thud. She threw the bag aside and picked up the camera with interest. "Oh? What is this piece of junk?"
 
"Leave it...alone..." I gasped.
 
Yoona kicked me again, even harder this time. Which most likely meant shut up or else.
 
Jessica grinned evilly. "Nah... I don't want to leave it alone."
 
And with a heart-dropping crash, she dropped it and step on it with her black heels. 
 
That was it. I sprung up and threw a punch at her but Yuri grabbed my hair, yanked me backwards, and smacked me down to the ground again. My glasses flew off this time and my vision blurred.
 
Pain. That was all I could think of.
 
"You don't feel so smart and superior now, do you?" She smirked. 
 
Jessica picked me up by my collar and shoved me once more into the brick wall. My head hit it first and I crumpled to the ground. I could feel something warm trickle down my leg. The last thing I heard was their victory laugh ringing in the air. 
 
Then I out.