The Challenge

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 

✻ chapter four:
the challenge
eun mi's pov
 
 

I sat in my seat in History class and fiddled with my glasses nervously. I had decided to wake up half-an-hour earlier than usual today so I could take my time walking to school. I ended up being early and was the first one in class.

After reading Black Angel’s message, I couldn’t sleep at all. I stayed up all night, confused. Black Angel was… Changjo?

 

Today was my first day at Namsan High School. I met this one girl who was really interesting. She didn't fangirl over the Kingkas and she didn't idolize the Queenkas either. I hope I can learn more about her.

 

He was obviously talking about me, Park Eun Mi. I had been friends with Black Angel for five years, so he knew a lot about me. I never felt this anxious in so long and the butterflies in my stomach were complete strangers to me.

But most importantly, did he know I was SilverStar? I didn’t remember telling him which school I went to. Or what I looked like. Or my real name. Maybe this is all just a prank by the Kingkas and Queenkas to humiliate me. I pulled on my hair in frustration. All this thinking was frying my brain.

The classroom door opened and I jumped in my seat. It was none other than the guy who was causing me all this stress, Changjo. He sat down next to me. “You’re really early today, Eun Mi.”

I tried to avoid eye contact, embarrassed about what happened yesterday on the way home from school. “You are too.”

“I figured that if I come to school early, I won’t have to deal with those crazy stalker fangirls early in the morning.”

“And I’m not crazy?” I replied quietly.

Changjo chuckled. “No, you are crazy. Just… a special kind. The good kind of crazy.”

Was that a compliment? And what did I do to make him think I was ‘a special kind of crazy’? I remembered about the blog. I did say some pretty weird stuff to Black Angel. Like ‘buttface’. But did he really know it was me?

“Is your leg getting better?” Changjo suddenly asked. He really cared about me. He cared.

I nodded, trying to convince myself it was only out of politeness. “Y-yeah. I didn’t trip when I walked to school. Praise me.”

He laughed. “You’re funny.”

I noticed how cute he was when he did. I blushed and looked down at my desk.

The morning classes (history and math) went by pretty fast today. In math, I was so scared and nervous that L.Joe would bring our argument up. But he didn’t. He stayed silent throughout the whole period (something I thought he couldn’t do). For some reason, I felt as if his eyes were on me when I turned my back on him.

Lunch came and Changjo dragged me into the crowded cafeteria. He was surprised when I told him I never ate in here.

“There are way too much people, it’s noisy, and nobody would let me sit at the same table with them either. I’m unwanted here.” I explained to him. But he made me sit down with Sooyoung and him anyways.

I could hear people looking at us and whispering to each other. The rumors began to spread like wildfire.

“Why is SHE sitting with them?”

“Isn’t that the nerd? Who does she think she is?”

“Maybe she’s blackmailing them and they have to do what she wants!”

“She’s so wicked! What’s wrong with her?”

“Poor Changjo-oppa! Someone save him!”

I was used to the rumors by now. Plus, the rumors about Seohyun and me from three years ago were much worse. I shrugged and took out half a peanut butter sandwich from my bag. Changjo and Sooyoung took out their lunches of kimbap. When they saw what I was eating, they stared at me.

“What?" I asked them, picking up the sandwich and taking a bite.

Sooyoung raised her eyebrow at my lunch. "How can you eat that and be full for the rest of the school day?"

I shrugged. "I'm used to it."

I continued to devour my sandwich and the Choi siblings went back to their lunches. When we finished I took our trash and went to throw it away. I managed to get to the trash can without tripping over anyone's backpack or hurting my leg. But on my way back, L.Joe and his gang blocked my path

"Can I help you?" I said, coldly.

L.Joe smirked. "How can someone like you help me?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't know... But maybe psychologist could."

By now, their was a small crowd forming around us. L.Joe was very aware of it and narrowed his eyes. "You think you're so smart. You think you're better than me, don't you?"

"Well, you're not exactly the brightest person I know." I replied.

Now their was definitely a huge crowd circling us. L.Joe took a step closer to me. "Well then, if that's the case, why don't we make a bet?"

A bet? I knew I should say no, right at this moment. But the whole crowd was watching. Sort of intrigued, I asked him, "What kind of bet?"

"How about we compete in the school talent show. It's two weeks away. The loser has to do whatever the winner wants for a whole week." He put his arm out and the oldest of Teen Top, C.A.P., high-fived it.

A talent show? I had no talents whatsoever. But I couldn't admit that. Not now. "Tell me more."

L.Joe took another step closer. "Each group can contain up to five people. I'll be doing it with my gang Teen Top. You can choose whoever you wish. There will be a panel of judges who decides the winner."

I thought about it. Seemed fair enough except for one thing. "The judges have to be adults and aren't your fangirls. Deal?"

He looked back at his fellow Kingkas, who were surprised at my request, but he nodded anyways. "Deal."

The crowd was full of chatter and whispering. I saw Sooyoung and Changjo find their way to the front of the crowd. They looked at me with worry. L.Joe was one foot away from me. I took a deep breath. It was now or never.

"Well then... Bring it on."

 

-- --

 

The rest of the day past by like a blur. Everyone knew about the talent show competition and of course, they were all in for the winner being L.Joe. Nobody listened to the teacher because the students were too busy talking and gossiping about the whole situation. In gym, everyone were too distracted to do anything. The teachers gave up and decided to teach us tomorrow.

After school let out, Changjo and Sooyoung asked me about my decision. 

"Are you really going to go against him?" Sooyoung exclaimed.

I nodded. "Apparently."

"Do you have any talents?" Changjo asked me.

I shook my head shamefully. "Nope."

They both face-palmed. "What? Then why did you accept the challenge?"

"Because I want to teach him a lesson. I'll figure something out, eventually." I was quite taken aback with myself too. I was never the type to get involved and cause trouble, so why was I doing this now?

A group of girls ran of to Changjo and squealed. "Oppa, can you please sign this for us?"

Changjo grinned, proud of his popularity. "Sure, why not?"

He took a pen and wrote in their notebook. His signature was cool, with loops and stuff. But what really caught my eye was what he wrote under his signature. He had written 'Black Angel'.

He really was Black Angel. I gasped. That meant he knew much more about me! If he really knew I was SilverStar, I would be embarrassed for life... I looked at him nervously but when the fangirls were gone he didn't say anything to me.

After saying our goodbyes, we parted ways and I walked back to my apartment. I was extra-careful this time, just in case Changjo was following me again. No tripping meant no more awkward moments with him.

I got to my apartment safely and the first thing I did was go onto my blog. I didn't Changjo to him last time because I didn't know how. I was too shocked with the fact that my best blogger friend was the new Kingka in school. 

 

Namsan High, eh? Sounds like a good school. And that girl you're talking about, does she really not act like a regular fangirl? She could be my long-lost twin. And isn't there a dance group at your new school? If not, form one!

~SilverStar☆

 

If he didn't know who I was, then I shouldn't tell him it's me. But if he already knows, then I'll appear stupid. I sighed. Who cares if I'm stupid? I logged off and flopped down on my bed. Today was Friday, so that meant I had to go to work tomorrow on the weekends. I closed my eyes. Changjo's face appeared in my mind... then Sooyoung's... and then. L.Joe's....

I sat upright. I totally forgot about the talent show. I groaned. "Eotteoke?!"

Curse you, L.Joe.