The Twist

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
✻ chapter thirtythree:
the twist
l.joe's pov
 
 

"Eun Mi!" The cold water hit me like a wave of ice as I ran after her. The figure turned around but as soon as they saw me, they turned back to the sea and kept wading further out. "Eun Mi, stop!"

I managed to catch up to her and grabbed her wrist. "Eun Mi, what do you think you're doing?!"

"Stop it!" She cried and struggled to get out of my grip. "Stop calling my name! Leave me alone!"

She was crying. Her face glistened with tears mixed with the ocean water. Her eyes were blotchy and she was pale. Her clothes were soaking wet and she was shivering uncontrollably. 

I tried to stop her from flailing around and examined her wrists. My heart seemed to have gotten heavier, about the same weight as two-hundred tons of lead. I drew in a sharp gasp and stared at her wrist.

There were red scars, cut deep into her skin. "Eun Mi! What is this?!"

"Nothing." Eun Mi slipped out of my grasp and looked away. 

"That is obviously nothing!" I exclaimed. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because I feel like I don't belong here!" She cried. "I don't know what to do anymore! I feel like I'm only a burden to everyone! Everybody hates me!"

"You know that's not true!" I lost the feeling in my legs. The freezing water had numbed me. 

"Yes it is!" She looked at me with what must be the most saddest eyes I've ever seen. Tears spilled from her eyes. "Those twins even came from the other side of the world to tell me that!"

I reached out for her hand. "Eun Mi-"

"I said stop calling my name!" She turned away and cried even harder. Her voice wavered as she spoke. "I hate myself for existing. I hate myself for hurting everyone I care about. I hate myself for loving you!"

My heart shattered to pieces, seeing her like this. She had endured too much, and now it was too much for her to handle. It was breaking her. 

"If I just never entered this world, none of this would have happened!" Eun Mi was blaming herself, making her feel guilt for something that wasn't her fault. "So if I leave, everyone will be happy. Nobody will even care."

"Shut up!" I cried. "Eun Mi, just shut up and think about what you're saying! Do you think that everything will be solved if you leave? Do you think that we would be happy with it?"

Her eyes widened at my outburst and I saw the dark bags under her eyes. But I continued anyways. "What would I do if you left? Did you even think about that? Do you think that when I said I loved you, I was joking?! You have to wake up from the web of lies you're wrapping yourself in. Because you're not the only one hurting; I am too."

"L.Joe..."

"It hurts every time I see you like this. My heart grows heavier with every tear that falls from your eyes. And I can't do anything because you keep pushing me away. Do you know how that feels?" I said to her. This time, I could feel my own tears sliding down my cheeks. "Leaving me like this would be the most selfish thing you could ever do, Eun Mi."

I took a step forward and wrapped my arms around her shaking body. She didn't move away, but she didn't hug back either. The cold waves didn't stop moving and swirled around us, making us even more wet. 

She sobbed for a couple seconds before slowly lifting her arms and hugging me back. "I-I thought it was just a prank, you loving me... I don't know what to say..."

"Just say you'll never try to hurt youself again." I whispered into her ear. "Promise me."

Eun Mi began to cry again. The scars on her wrists seemed to stand out on her white arms. "I-I... I promise..."

I hugged her even tighter against my chest, as if I could protect her from the harmful world this way. We stood like this for... who knows how long... until I felt a weight on my arms. Eun Mi had fallen unconscious from the cold water. Her face was even paler and her lips were slowly becoming purple. She looked so vulnerable. 

I carefully picked her up (A/N: Bridal style, piggy back, whatever you prefer to satisfy your imaginations xD) and carried her to the sand. I laid her down on the sand and ran to the nearby payphone. 

Ring... Ring...

What was taking so long for him to pick up? School should be over by now.

Ring... Ring...

Honestly, if he doesn't pick up right now, I will take his stuffed teddy and rip its little head off-

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Niel! I need you and Teen Top to come help me."

"Huh? L.Joe hyung? Why?"

"Just come to the beach.:

"Mwuh? Hyung-"

I slammed the phone back on the holder and ran back to Eun Mi. She was shivering and I tried to warm her up by placing her coat around her. When the Teen Top members finally arrived, they helped me bring her back to my house with no questions asked. They knew it was serious when they saw her like this. 

We brought her to my house and laid her on the bed, hoping the covers would warm her up. Her skin was really pale now, and almost looked as white as the white bed sheets. Her current condition worried me.
 
"Hyung, what happened to noona?" Ricky tugged on my sleeve and pointed at her wrists.
 
"She... she tried to commit suicide." I whispered. My dongsaeng's eyes widened and he gasped.
 
"Why?"
 
"I... I don't know." It was better not to tell him.
 
I moved towards the bed but then tripped, almost falling over and having to grip Chunji's arm. 
 
"L.Joe, what's wrong?" He looked down and I did too. My feet were sore, one had a purple bruise and the other was bleeding. "Your feet!"
 
"I was running barefoot. Don't ask what happened." I winced and sat down. "Don't worry about it."
 
He was about to protest when I heard the front door bang open and footsteps coming up the stairs. Sooyoung ran into my room, panting. She gasped as soon as she saw Eun Mi. "What happened?!"
 
This time, I didn't answer. I didn't need to, because she suddenly realized the answer. C.A.P. noticed the solemn atmosphere and told Niel and Ricky to hush, moving to one corner of the room. 
 
I sat down on the bed, Sooyoung sitting on the other side. I took Eun Mi's cold hand and stared at the worried expression on her face. She was still stressed, even if she wasn't unconscious. 
 
What would've happened if I was five minutes too late? Or even thirty seconds to late? I didn't even know what I would've done if I knew she drowned herself. 
 
"Babo..." I whispered to her, my eyes tearing up. I could hear Sooyoung sniffle across from me.
 
"Why would she do something like that? Doesn't she know that we're there for her?"
 
"I don't know. Maybe because all her life, nobody's been by her side." I choked out. Still... she should've told us or something. She could have gone to us for comfort instead of trying to go through it all by herself. Nobody can do that.
 
"Have you told Changjo?" I asked her quietly. She closed her teary eyes and shook her head. "Why not?"
 
"I don't want to trouble him. How would he react if he found out about this?" I could see her reasoning in this.
 
We got quiet and turned back to Eun Mi, who was still out-cold. Suddenly, she stirred and her eyes began to flutter open. 
 
I immediatly sat up straight, not letting go of her hand. "Eun Mi!"
 
She opened her eyes and squinted, adjusting to the light of the room. She slowly sat up, leaning against the bed as the other Teen Top members came over and surrounded us. I expected her to cry, or say my name, or something like that. But instead, she suddenly jerked her hand away from mine and looked at me with a confused look in her eyes. 
 
"Who... who are you?"
 
Those words were like a dagger, piercing my heart. "W-what do you mean, Eun Mi?"
 
"Eun Mi, you're just joking around, right?" Sooyoung laughed nervously. "You're just playing around, right? You know who we are."
 
"I... I do know you." Eun Mi slowly said, her eyes going over each of our faces. "You're Sooyoung... and that's C.A.P., Chunji, and Niel. And over there is Ricky."
 
Her eyes stopped at me and that same confused look remained in her eyes. "What about me? You remember me, right?"
 
My heart dropped as she shook her head. "No. Who are you?"
 
Chunji and Niel exchanged worried glances. Eun Mi backed away from me, as if I were a stranger, and over to Sooyoung. "Where's Changjo oppa? Isn't he here?"
 
"Changjo oppa?" Sooyoung glanced at me with a puzzled expression. "Since when did you call him oppa?"
 
I didn't know what to say. I just sat there, paralyzed at her words. Eun Mi remembered everyone else and even called Changjo 'oppa'. But what about me?
 
Didn't she recognize me?