The Tower

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
✻ chapter twentyeight:
the tower
eun mi's pov

 

I was being kicked out of my apartment. 

How can this be? It was so sudden, out of the blue. I needed this apartment; without it, I have nowhere to go. I always payed the rent on time, never late even once. So why?

I quickly went to the rentor's house, which was close by. I knocked on the door and waited anxiously for them to come out. After what seemed like forever, a short and plump woman came out. "Oh, it's you. Did you get my letter? I hope you can move out in two days..."

"I recieved your letter. But why do I have to leave? Is there something wrong?" I asked her, worried. "Are you raising the rent cost? I'll pay more if I have to."

"Well... it's not that."

"What is it? Do you need the money quicker? I get this month's pay at the end of the week, if you could just wait..." I was really desperate now.

"Aniyo." She shook her head. "I got another offer from another customer and they agreed to pay me a lot for that apartment." 

"Mwuh?" I exclaimed. "How much did they offer?"

She said a large amount of money that I never would get my hands on, even if I worked for fifteen years day and night. It was so large, I can't even believe someone would pay that much for a small apartment like mine.

"Is there something special about this apartment? It's small and can barely fit one person. Can't they go somewhere else?"

The rentor shrugged. "I don't know. They just said they wanted this apartment, and this one only. I also think it's kind of weird..."

I let out a sigh of frustration. Why was this happening to me? 

"Now, if that's all you were going to say, I'll be going in now." The lady closed the door and I quickly stuck my foot out, blocking her from doing so.

I winced at the pain. "Please, can I stay for a few more days? I don't have anywhere to go..."

The lady looked sort of annoyed now. "Arasseo. But only a few more days, alright? Then you have to go."

"Kamsahabnida." I nodded and bowed. "Kamsahabnida."

She went in and I sighed again, dragging my feet towards the apartment that wasn't going to be mine any longer. Where was I supposed to go now?

I was about to go in when I heard someone call my name. I turned around to see it was the Jung siblings, Ji Yoo and Yoo Jin. 

"Eun Mi! Is that you?" Ji Yoo said, running up to me. 

"Oh, Ji Yoo! What are you guys doing here?"

Yoo Jin finally reached us. "We were taking a walk to see what this place is like."

"Can you give us a small tour?" Ji Yoo asked.

I nodded. Maybe this would get my mind off the apartment crisis. "Sure, why not?"

I showed them small shop center in Namsan, the popular eating places, and the parks. We stopped right outside Namsan Tower though, because we needed admission to go up.

"Aw, let's go, Eun Mi!" Ji Yoo begged.

"But I don't have any money on me..." I started.

Yoo Jin pulled out his wallet. "I'll pay."

Before I could stop him, he had already payed and Ji Yoo dragged me along with them. "Now I feel bad..."

"It's okay!" Ji Yoo said in English, giving me a wink and an 'okay' sign with her fingers.

I giggled. "Okay!"

We went rode on the cable car before walking the rest of the way to the tower. The scene was really breath-taking and I could see everything from above. It was such a pity I didn't bring my camera along.

Ji Yoo looked really happy browsing the gift shops while Yoo Jin looked bored. I stayed with him outside the gift shops because if I followed Ji Yoo, I knew I would get lost.

"How long have you lived in America?" I asked him.

"I don't know... twelve years, maybe? We've lived there for a long time." He answered.

I nodded. "Then why did you decide to move to Korea, of all places?"

"We just wanted to see what our home country was like." 

I didn't know what to ask him next so we had a little awkward silence. But then he suddenly took my hand and pulled me forward with him. "Oh no, Ji Yoo's leaving without us!"

"Mwuh?!" I looked ahead to where he was leading me to and indeed, his sister was running off somewhere. "Where is she going?"

"I don't know! Let's follow her!" 

Yoo Jin held my hand as we chased after her. I blushed at this and felt a bit uncomfotable, since L.Joe was already my boyfriend. But I didn't let go because if I did, I'd lose sight of him.

We followed Ji Yoo all the way up the tower until we got to the love locks. Yoo Jin let go and went to hit his sister in the arm. "Ya, what was that! Making us run up here!"

She giggled and pulled me over to the love lock trees. "I've heard of this place! Isn't this where romantic couples go and swear their eternal love for each other?"

"Yeah right, that's only in sappy mushy movies." Yoo Jin snorted. Ji Yoo ignored him and tugged on my arm. 

"I wish I had a boyfriend..." She sighed. "That blonde guy at school was pretty cute. What's his name?"

My heart skipped a beat. "That was L.Joe."

"L.Joe? What a cool name!" Her eyes started to sparkle. 

I looked down at my feet. "Um... he's my boyfriend."

"Really?" She exclaimed with wide eyes. "Oops... sorry about that. I don't plan on stealing him, or anything, just so you know."

"It's alright. You didn't know." I smiled. "But he is really cute, huh?"

Yoo Jin rolled his eyes at our 'girl' talk. "Can we go now?"

"No!" Ji Yoo said. "I want to look at the locks first."

"Yay, this will be fun." He said sarcastically. 

The siblings began to bicker and I zoned out for a few seconds. What was this feeling? After Ji Yoo brought up L.Joe, I felt really weird inside. 

Ji Yoo finally let us leave after looking at some of the messages on the locks ("Aw, so romantic!" she would say every five seconds). They thanked me for showing them around and we parted ways. 

I flicked the switch on in my apartment and sighed again. That little tour took my mind off of my apartment problem, but now I had to face it. Finally, I made up my mind and decided to start packing, just so I would be ready for when I had to move out.