The Start

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
 
✻ chapter ten:
the start
eun mi's pov

 

I woke up with my music still playing. I turned it off and changed into my school uniform. The red marks on my facewere almost gone and my leg was sore, but nobody would notice it. Before leaving for school, I looked at my blog. BlackAngel sent you a message at 5:23pm yesterday.


Eun Mi, do you want to have dinner with Sooyoung and I? If yes, reply and meet us at the community park!

-Black Angel


I scrolled down to his other message. BlackAngel sent you a message at 7:18pm yesterday.


Eun Mi, are you alright? You didn't reply to my last message. Did something happen? You don't have a phone so I can't contact you. Don't make me worry!

-Black Angel


He was worried about me! How was I supposed to explain to him what had happened?


Changjo, mianhae for not replying (。-_-。)
I'll tell you at school why I couldn't go yesterday. 
~SilverStar☆


When I got to school, Sooyoung and Changjo were waiting for me.

"Where were you last night?" Sooyoung asked. "Changjo said he asked you to come eat with us."

I sat down and covered my legs with an old purple bag I found in the closet. "Something came up and I had to go do something."

Changjo saw me fidget with my bag. "Eun Mi, what happened to your other bag?"

"I...Uh... I thought I should get a new one."

He raised his eyebrow. Then he took the bag away from me and set it on the ground. Sooyoung's eyes widened when she saw what had happened to my legs.

"Eun Mi, what happened?"

"Nothing... Please don't worry about it."

"That obviously isn't nothing." Changjo's eyes narrowed. "The Queenkas did this to you, didn't they?"

I slowly nodded. What else could I do?

"That's it, if they go near you ever again I will make sure they-"

The teacher came in and our attention changed to the history facts written on the board.

I glanced at Changjo and mouthed "It's okay."

The morning class period went by fast. Before I knew it, Changjo and Sooyoung made me sit at the lunch table again. I quietly ate my sandwich when L.Joe came over from his usual table with Teen Top.

"EunMi, are you okay?" He asked me. Ricky and Chunji followed behind him.

Changjo stood up and gave him a glare. "Yah, it's all your fault she was hurt. You're stupid fangirl Queenkas did this to her!"

L.Joe looked taken aback. And I was too; it was the first time I've seen Chanjo's so riled up. "It's not my fault the Queenkas are stupid and selfish."

I stood up. The noise was going to attract some unwanted attention. "Guys, please don't start fighting."

Changjo looked at the pleading I had in my eyes so he sat down.

"L.Joe was the one who helped me after I got hurt." I told him.

"Jinjja?" Changjo looked surprised. He tilted his head towards L.Joe. "미안해 Mianhae for the outburst then."

"Do you want to sit with us?" Sooyoung asked.

"Of course not." A female voice said.

It was, unfortunately, the Queenkas. Jessica gave me another icy glare. "Yah, didn't I tell you to stay away? Aish, you should go jump in a hole and rot."

"Don't you dare talk to her like that!" Changjo said to her angrily.

"Oppa, why are you defending that nerd? We're trying to save you from wasting your time on her." Yoona whined.

"Why are you calling me Oppa?"

"What do you mean, Oppa?..."

"Stop it."

She pouted. "But Oppa..."

Chunji held L.Joe back, who strangely looked like he was going to hurt them. "Girls, just go away. Nobody wants to see your face."

The Queenkas were shocked. Then they turned and left in disbelief. "Oppa, how could you?"

Chunji let go of L.Joe and apologized to me. "Sorry about that. They can be so bratty sometimes."

I laughed a little. I guess the Kingkas were aware of that too.

"But are you alright, noona?" Ricky asked me. "L.Joe hyung told us what happened."

I nodded. "Gwaenchanha. But please keep this quiet."

He gave me a thumbs up. Ricky was such a cute little kid. He acted like a little brother.

I picked up my bag. "I'll be going to class now. See you guys later!"

Ricky waved enthusiastically. "Bye noona!"

Changjo held my shoulder all the way to my seat in case I fell or something. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw L.Joe waiting at the door with a frown on his face. Er, I thought it saw him...

The afternoon classes went by even faster than the morning classes. After what seemed like 10 minutes, school was over and I headed over to Sooyoung's house to get ready for the talent show, which started in two and a half hours.

Her house was incredibly big. Like, collosal huge. I was amazed at how she could live in a house like this.

Sooyoung led me to her room. It was like stepping into a trendy magazine catalog; the walls were painted lavendar and the curtains on her windows matched. Her bed was white with purple covers and her desk was white as well. Her laptop was on her desk and her dresser was in the corner. There was a huge floor-length mirror for her to admire herself. Her room gave off a soothing-spring vibe. 

"Did you bring that dress we bought the other day?"

I nodded and held up the bag. "Yeah, it's right here."

"Go change then."

I put on the dress and adjusted the belt to fit around my waist. I slipped on the beaded couple bracelets that I had brought with me for good luck.

When I came out, Sooyoung had prepared a straightener. "Now, sit down so I can do your hair and your makeup."

"No makeup!" I held my hands up in a protect-my-face position. "Never!"

"Just foundation." Sooyoung pleaded.

I sighed and sat down. "Let's get this over with."

After a while, she was done and my hair felt really soft and different. "Thanks."

She blew on the straightening iron like a gun. "Anytime."

"Aren't you going to change too?" I asked.

"I will, just with the other dance members." She took out a box from the shelf and opened it. Inside were a pair of gray flats with a small bow on the tip. "Here, these are the shoes I'm lending to you. Try them on."

They were a bit big on me, but I could walk without tripping so they were fine. "Thank you, Sooyoung, I'll return them in good condition."

"You better." She guided me over to the mirror. "So, what do you think?"

I gasped. I saw a pretty girl that couldn't have been me. "Sooyoung, you overdid yourself! I'm... I'm pretty! I don't look like myself at all!"

"Your normal self was already pretty. I just had to add a few minor changes."

I stuck my tongue out. "Yeah, right."

She shook her head but pointed to the room next door. "Want to check out Changjo's room?"

"Sure. Is he in there?"

"Of course not! He's somewhere else in the house. He would never let us go in there without permission."

I hesitated to go in. "Then maybe we shouldn't go in."

"You can. He has a soft spot for you. He won't get mad."

I blushed at the comment and slowly walked in. I pushed the door open and saw a bunch of posters on the wall. They were all of famous dancers and dance crews. Changjo was really dedicated to dancing.

His room held a gray bed and a black desk. Red rugs and pillows complimented the colors. I could tell he was the clean and organized type. I looked around until I found something rather interesting; a notebook with my name on it.

 

I picked it up. The first page had a picture of me at school, in my uniform. How and when did he get this? I read his handwriting underneath it.

 

Park Eun Mi. High-schooler. Pretty girl.

Very timid and doesn't like to socialize. Quiet, but very sharp and cautious. Doesn't have any good friends at school. Known as the school nerd. Has many talents but did not show anyone. Acts cold towards others and claims she needs nobody's help.

But inside, I think she is lonely and wished there was someone who could support her.

Choi Changjo. High-schooler. Dancing boy. 

Is Eun Mi's blog friend online and wants to help her. Moved to her school and met the cold person she described herself as. He wanted to help her become someone that could be proud of herself. He wished to be the one that was always there for her. He liked her.

 

I stopped reading and put the notebook back. What was this? Why did he write that? Don't tell me he...

"Eun Mi, what are you doing in here? It's time to go."

I quickly turned around. "Oh, Changjo-ah... I..."

"It's alright. Let's get to the talent show so we can line-up and sign in and stuff."

"Alright." I decided not to think to much about what I just read and followed out of his room quietly. We went outside and saw everyone was there waiting for us (everyone meaning the dance team). 

I noticed their attire.The girls were wearing black skinny jeans, gray tank tops, and black shirts that revealed one of their shoulders. Hyoyeon hair was in a messy ponytail, Eunjung's was as sleek as ever, and Sooyoung's was just let loose. The guys were wearing black skinny jeans, gray t-shirts, and black short-sleeved hoodies. Chan Doo still had his signature headphones, Changbum wore a sports hat, and Changjo had on fingerless gloves.

"Wow, you guys look like a real dance group!" I exclaimed.

"Eunjung bought them for us." Hyoyeon said. "She doesn't know how awesome she is for doing that!"

Eunjung gave a small smile and started walking to Namsan High. "Kaja! Let's go before we're late!"

We headed to the auditorium, which the school barely used. People were filing in and finding seats as we made our way backstage, where all the performers were. One of the staff gave us the production paper telling us who went after who. There was a long list of performers. A few students were participating, L.Joe and Teen Top were before me, and Changjo's dance team was last.

I looked down at the audience. There were certainly a lot more than last year. Was the bet between L.Joe and me that important to them? I nudged Changjo. "Did L.Joe agree to the bet?"

Changjo nodded. "Yeah, he said he'd do it."

I was going to ask him if anyone else knew about it when the lights dimmed and only one spotlight shone on the stage.

"Welcome to Namsan High's Seventh Annual Talent Show!" The principal's voice echoed throughout the entire auditorium. Nobody spoke a word. "We have many participants this year. You are invited to stay until the very end."

The audience politely applauded and Principal Kang Seok Ho continued. "We will have a panel of four judges as our judges for tonight." He introduced them and more applause came from the crowd.

"The talent show has officially begun. Act number one, come one out!"