The Evil Queenka

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

✻ chapter three:
the evil queenka
eun mi's pov
 
 

Gym was the only class I had without Changjo. But his sister was, and Sooyoung took over his place. Changing into our gym clothes (gray t-shirts and black shorts), we jogged around the gym for three minutes for warm-ups.

"Sooyoung, you're probably the tallest in the whole school!" I said, looking up so I could make eye contact with her.

She laughed. "Maybe. I like being tall because you look better in clothes." She was right. Her figure was absolutely perfect and made every girl in school jealous.

The warm-up jog ended and our gym teacher assigned us into groups. I was with Sooyoung (yay!) and Jessica (not yay). Each group was put against each other in a field-hocky match. We were against Niel (Kingka in Teen Top), Ricky (Kingka, Maknae in Teen Top), and a boy called Hong Chan Doo.

The match started and the guys got the puck in the goal first. But we quickly rebounded and got even points. After a while, Sooyoung and I started to pant and breathe heavily. I looked over at Jessica, who was standing in the corner, leaning on her hockey stick and checking out her nails, which were painted light pink. She wasn't even trying to help us.

When Sooyoung passed the puck to me, I aimed it at Jessica. Even though I had horrible aim, it managed to hit the end of her stick, knocking it to the ground. She stumbled and almost fell down. I saw Sooyoung giving me a thumbs up out of the corner of my eye.

"Ya, what do you think you're doing?!" Jessica shouted at me. "My hair is all messed up now!"

"Stop being a sissy and start helping us." I told her.

"But hockey isn't my thing!" Jessica protested.

Niel shook his head in disaproval. "You wake up, take a step, then complain about how your hair is messed up. Sheesh, shut up and play."

Out of all of Teen Top, Niel was probably the most carefree about things. And if you asked me, Niel was as pretty as Jessica. That's right, Niel is pretty. His best point is his lips and his hair...

Jessica turned red. A Kingka just told her, a Queenka, to shut up. She gave me a you'll pay for this death squint and moved next to me. "Fine, I'll play."

Ricky launched the puck and the match continued. We all gathered into one spot where the puck was and everyone tried to be the one to take the puck. Jessica, not knowing what to do, took a powerful random swing with her hockey stick. It made contact with my right leg.

A wave of pain rippled through my body and I fell down with a thud.

"Eun Mi!" Sooyoung cried, rushing over to me. "Are you okay?"

Chan Doo came over as well, peering down at me. "Obviously not."

I tried to sit up. "I'm fine. I can get up." I lifted my self off the floor but my arms gave out, causing me to land on the ground again. I groaned.

Sooyoung looked at Jessica with an accusing glare. Jessica just smiled evilly and shrugged. "Oops."

I tried to get up with Sooyoung supporting me. "Can someone help me bring her to the nurse's office?"

Chan Doo put my right arm on his shoulders. "Kaja."

Niel and Ricky went to tell our teacher where we were going. Jessica looked a bit sour. Probably because she intended to hurt and embarrass me, but it backfired and now I was the center of attention, for the millionth time. I didn't want to be, but it just had to turn out this way.

It took awhile to get to the nurse's office, considering how much pain I was in, but we got there eventually. Nurse Han Soo Jung told me to sit down so she could examine my injury.

"It's not broken, just bruised, so I'll wrap it up and you can go back to class."

I nodded. "Okay."

Sooyoung heaved a breath of relief. "Who knew someone who looked as flimsy as her could pack a powerful punch? And she didn't even say sorry."

"It was an accident! She was so clueless about how to play so she just took a random swing and I was in the way."

"As if." Sooyoung sneered. I sighed, knowing I sounded pathetic trying to defend her.

The nurse finished wrapping my lower leg in bandages and asked Sooyoung to help her find an ice pack in the storage room. Chan Doo sat next to me and kept me company. We sat in awkward silence. I wasn't good at starting conversations and all I knew about Chan Doo was that he was into dancing and always wore a pair of headphones on his neck.

"So..." He started. "What does the Evil Queen Jessica have against you?"

I liked his nickname for her. "I have no idea."

For some reason, I felt like I had this unknown connection with him. It was like a gut feeling or something. He was always quiet, like me and didn't say much.

"My older brother died 2 months ago." Chan Doo suddenly told me. "I kind of know how you felt when Seohyun left."

I looked at him, but he fixed his gaze on the floor. Why was he telling me all of this, out of the blue?

"I heard about the rumors. About how people thought you were jealous of her and that you wanted her gone."

I gazed at the floor with him. "But that's not true..."

He nodded. "I know. But for me, I was very envious of my older brother. He was smart and my parents were proud of him. They would always show him off to other parents while they told me to stay put in my room and make sure no one saw me. They were ashamed of me."

I knew exactly how that felt. It was a horrible feeling.

He went on. "I would always ignore my brother not talk to him out of jealousy, even though he tried his best to be a good brother to me. I didn't care about anything that had to do with him. When I found out he had cancer, it was already too late. He was gone and I regretted being the bratty kid I was. My parents were devastated that they were left with a failure like me."

I couldn't believe there was someone who experienced something similar to me. Chan Doo grabbed my hand and held it, trying to comfort me. Usually when I have skinship with a guy, even if it was just poking, I would blush and turn red. But with Chan Doo, I felt as though he was a brother. It really was comforting.

"You're not alone in this world you know. There are other people who care for you too." He told me.

"Like Gil Pulip?" I asked him.

He blushed red. Gil Pulip was a kind and innocent girl in my history class. He and Pulip usually hung out together and you could tell they had the hots for each other. Their relationship was the pure and honest kind.

"Yeah." He smiled. For the first time in the past few years, I smiled back.

Sooyoung and Nurse Han Soo Jung came back and he let go of my hand, blushing. Thankfully, it looked like they didn't see it. The nurse handed me an ice pack, which I accepted gratefully. School was about over, so she wrote each of us a pass.

After thanking her for her help, we walked back to the gym. Our gym teacher took our slips and we changed back into our uniform.

The school bell rang and everyone filed out of the school building to go home. When Sooyoung was looking the opposite way, I whispered "Gommawo" in Chan Doo's ear. He smiled and said goodbye before unlocking his green bike and riding out of school property.

Chan Doo was a really nice guy. It was really sweet the way he tried to tell me I wasn't the only who had pain inside.

"Eun Mi!"

I turned around, with great difficulty thanks to my leg, and saw Changjo running towards us. "Oh, Changjo..."

Changjo scanned me from top to bottom and paused when he got to my leg. "Eun Mi, what happened to your leg?"

Sooyoung answered for me. "We were playing hockey in gym and the target for Jessica's hockey stick was her leg."

Changjo bent down and traced the bandage. "Wow, she's got issues. Just because you're prettier than her doesn't mean she has to get all violent."

I froze. Did he call me pretty? As in not ugly?

"Stop joking around, Changjo." I said sharply. He slowly stood up, eyes still on my bandage. "I'll be going now."

"Are you walking home?" Sooyoung asked.

I nodded. "Yes, why?"

"Will you be okay?" Changjo eyes darted from my face to my leg.

"I'll be absolutely fine." I said. "I live only a few blocks from here."

Sooyoung voice had a hint of doubt in her voice. "Okay then. Be careful, alright?

"Arasseo." I headed towards the road to my apartment. The Choi siblings waved and I turned a corner, disappearing from their sight. I walked slowly, making sure not to put pressure on my right foot. Today was really crazy. Just because of one transfer student, I received twice the hatred from fangirls and a hockey stick to the leg. And there was that one problem with L.Joe. I sighed.

I looked up at the setting sun and looked at it's brilliant shades of orange, pink, red, and purple. I fumbled in my bag to take out my camera and take a picture. Very big mistake.

"Ahhh!" I tripped over something and flew to the ground. Then my vision became blurred; my glasses had fallen off. I couldn't get up by myself so I stayed sprawled on the ground, my right leg starting to hurt again.

A figure out of nowhere appeared and helped me up. Using their arms as a support, I brushed my bangs away from my eyes. I filled with panic as I checked to make sure my camera wasn't broken. It wasn't. I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Then I remembered about my 'rescuer', who was still holding onto my shoulders. They let go for a second and put my glasses on for me. I looked up and my eyes met a pair of warm brown ones.

"Changjo?"

His voice was full of concern. "Eun Mi, I told you to be careful."

I didn't know what to say, except for "You followed me?"

He nodded. "I knew you were going to be too careless."

I felt myself going red from our contact. He was way too close... But now that he's this close, I finally realized how tall he his.

"Where do you live? I'll walk you home the rest of the way." He said.

"We're almost there. Just a few more blocks to go."

He held my hand as we walked, just for support. We didn't say anything, so it was awkward. When we got to my apartment, I let go of his hand and took the keys out of my pocket.

"Thank you for taking your time to look after me." I told him shyly. "Sorry for being such a nuisance."

Changjo flashed that amazing smile of his. "You're not a nuisance. And anyone would help a person who was in trouble, right?"

Not just anyone, I thought bitterly to myself. "I'll see you tomorrow then." I opened the door and stepped inside. "Gommawo."

"Have a good night, Eun Mi." Changjo stood there until I closed my door and locked it. I went over to my window and peeked through the blinds. He was gone already.

I the lights and put down my bag. I decided to take a shower to freshen up. After removing my bandage, I got the cold water to run and I was chilled to the bone, but I didn't want to waste warm water.

While I shampooed my hair, I thought about how many times Changjo bothered me today, the first day I met him. He was gentle and caring to a person he just met. And he called me pretty, which must be a joke. But his sister Sooyoung was nice to me also.

Maybe Chan Doo was right. Maybe there are people who care about me, but I never gave them a chance.

But now that I realize it, I don't want people to care for me. It made me feel weak and helpless.

I turned off the water and climbed out of the shower. After drying myself off, I changed into my sleeping attire of an oversized t-shirt and long pants. I tied my hair up and took my time wrapping the bandage around my leg. I inhaled deeply. Taking a shower really cleared up my head.

My head... I instantly thought of butthead L.Joe. Or buttface, same thing. Ugh, just thinking about him made me mad. How could one person make me feel so many emotions inside?

But the things I had said to him... maybe I had been too harsh? I bit my lip. Should I apologize? I shook my head violently. Never will I ever bow down to him and his flower boy crew.

I took out my laptop and went straight to my message inbox. Black Angel replied! I clicked on the message.

 

Today was my first day at Namsan High School. I met this one girl who was really interesting. She didn't fangirl over the Kingkas and she didn't idolize the Queenkas either. I hope I learn more about her.
As for dancing? I don't know... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.


-Black Angel

 


▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
 

✻ author's note the dorky me
First cameo appearances from Hong Chan Doo and Gil Pulip, both from God of Study. That drama is really good ^^ Oh, and Hong Chan Doo is actually played by Lee Hyun Woo. I prefer God of Study over To the Beautiful You though, since Chan Doo was really cute in that drama.
~Ljjang창조♪