The Song

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

✻ chapter thirtyfour:
the song
l.joe's pov
 
 

"So... what's your name?"

Sooyoung and the others had gone outside to call her doctor to see if there was anything we could do. Meanwhile, I was supposed to talk with Eun Mi to see if she really didn't remember me.

"Um... what's your name?" Eun Mi asked again.

I blinked. "Oh... Byunghun. Lee Byunghun."

"Byunghun? That's a nice name." She said politely. She looked down at her hands and saw the red marks on her wrists. "What happened to me? Do you know how I got these scars?"

"You don't remember?" I asked her. She shook her head, but I didn't want to tell her because it would probably make her more confused. Instead, I gave her a pair of black arm warmers. "Here, wear these to cover it up."

She hesitantly took them from me and put them on. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Eun Mi looked away at the floor. Forgetting me and all, I was a stranger to her so she was uncomfortable being alone with me. It hurt to think of us that way.

"Do... do I know you from somewhere?" She asked me. "You keep on asking if I remember you..."

"Yeah. We're friends." I tried to think of the right words to use. "...really good friends."

"Jinjja?" Eun Mi said. "I only remember Seohyun, Sooyoung, and Changjo oppa."

"Changjo oppa..." I repeated. "Why do you call him oppa?"

She gave me a light and hearty laugh, something I haven't heard in so long. "What do you mean why? Because he's my boyfriend, silly."

"He is?" I was shocked at this. She thought they were dating?

"Yeah." She smiled at his name. "Where is he? Sooyoung said he was away somewhere."

I had a feeling she wasn't acting... she really thought she was Changjo's girlfriend. "He... he's on a short trip. He'll be back soon."

"Oh... arasseo. I can't believe he didn't tell me though." Eun Mi made a little pouty face and then giggled. "How do you know him?"

"How?" I repeated. "I'm in Teen Top with the others."

"Really? I didn't know that." She said thoughtfully. "I haven't seen you until today..."

It was hard to believe what she was saying, but I couldn't stop looking at her. She looked peaceful, talking to me like this. 

"But if you're Changjo's friend, you must be a really nice guy." She caught me staring at her and smiled. "I hope we can become great friends, Byunghun."

"Yeah... me too." I said softly. I guess being friends with her was better than her forgetting me and never talking to me agian. 

A knock interupted our little talk and Sooyoung came in, holding her phone. "I need to talk to you, L.Joe."

"L.Joe?" Eun Mi said. "Who's L.Joe?"

"That's my nickname." I answered her. I hoped she would remember after hearing my name, but all she did was bob her head up and down.

"That's cool." Was all she said.

Disappointed, I went outside to see what Sooyoung found out. "What did your doctor say?"

"She said that the memory loss could have been because of too much emotional stress." Changjo's sister told me. "Or maybe it was triggered by a memory that Eun Mi was trying to forget."

"The doctor said she's forgotton about the most important aspect in her life, but the memory loss is usually temporary for a few days or possibly a week." Sooyoung continued. "She'll remember who you are in no time." 

"But what if she doesn't?" I said worriedly. There was a possibility she won't.

Sooyoung glared at me and handed me the phone. "Don't think that way. Now, do you want to tell Changjo or do I have to?"

"Tell...?"

"He's going to find out sooner or later. It be better if sooner, because then he can come back and we can figure out a way to deal with this." Sooyoung pointed out. 

I sighed and took the phone from her. "Arasseo, I'll tell him."

Sooyoung approved of my decision and I dialed his phone number, waiting for him to pick up. It took several rings before he did. 

"What is it, noona?"

"Noona? I'm your noona now?"

"Oh, L.Joe! Why do you have my sister's phone?"

"That doesn't matter. I called because you have to come home now." 

"What? Why?"

"Because... of something."

"Does it have something to do with Eun Mi?"

"..."

"I take that as a yes. What happened?"

"....I'll tell you later." 

There was a pause before he replied. "I'll be there in the morning tomorrow."

"You sure? You can stay if you want..."

"I'll be there. But if something bad happened to her because of you, I swear I will give you a good kick in the-"

"Arasseo, arasseo!"

"-and you'll be sore until the end of time. Got it?"

"I got it." I sighed. "She'll be happy to see you, you know."

"Huh?"

"Nothing. I'm hanging up now."

"Okay. Bye, noona."

"Ya, I'm not-"

Your call has been disconnected.

"Again?!?" I threw my hands up in frustration. That Choi Jonghyun was really something.

Sooyoung smirked at our conversation. "You two are so nice to each other."

"Yes, totally." I said sarcastically. I gave her the phone and went back into the room. Eun Mi had gotten up from the bed and was roaming around the room. She was looking out the window and into the sky, where the sun was slowly setting. I approached her and she turned to me.

"What were you guys talking about?" She asked me innocently. 

"Nothing important..." I fibbed. "Um, you can get comfortable here if you'd like. I mean, you're going to have to stay here overnight..."

"I am?" She asked me, wide-eyed. "I have my own apartment, you know."

"About that... the owner said you had to move out."

She eyed me suspicously. "Mwuh? Why?"

So she didn't remember the incident with the twins either. I guess that was good, because then she wouldn't have to worry about them anymore. "I don't know, something about hard times and money problems..."

"Geurae?" She didn't look troubled at all. "Well, I guess I can stay for a night. But once I find another place to stay, I'll leave. I don't want to be a nuisance to you."

"You're not a nuisance at all." I said. "It gets kinda... lonely here, sometimes. Nobody ever visits me."

"Oh..." Eun Mi said softly. "If that's the case, then I'll keep you company tonight."

It was decided: Sooyoung and Teen Top would go home and Eun Mi would stay here for the night until there was a place she could go. I could tell she was really uncomfortable because she still wasn't familiar with me. But she didn't disagree.

"You can sleep in my room if you want." I told her. "I'll sleep in one of the other rooms."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. And you can wash up if you want to; don't worry, I'm not a ert." I joked.

She laughed and nodded. "Arasseo. Thanks, Byungh- I mean, L.Joe."

Eun Mi gathered her stuff to take a shower and I sat down, waiting for her. I heard the soft pit-pat as the water hit the tiles and thought about the whole wacked-up situation.

She had really forgotten me. I knew she didn't forget me on purpose, but it really hurt to see her look at me with those eyes. I hoped she remembers me soon. I don't think I can handle it if this lasted longer than a couple days.

Eun Mi finished showering and had changed into the pajamas she had worn on our trip to Jinan. I wondered if she remembered about that...

"I'm done." She said shyly and climbed back into the bed.

"Are you hungry?" I asked her. "I can get something for you to eat."

She shook her head. "I'm fine. Just a little tired."

"I'll leave you here to get some sleep, then." I nodded, standing up to leave and turning off the lights. "If you need anything, just let me know. I'll be in the room right next to this one."

"Arasseo." She said. "Gommawo."

"No problem." I gave her a small smile. "Good night, Eun Mi."

"...Good night, L.Joe." She said before laying down and covering herself in the sheets.

I closed the door but left a small crack, and entered the bedroom nearby. It was my parents, but they were never home to actually sleep here. The bed was still neatly made, a sure sign of nobody living here for the past few years.

I laid down and shut my eyes to sleep, but my mind was too restless and I was worried. I my right side, then onto my left side, and then on my stomach, but it didn't work. I was too worried to get a wink of sleep.

Quietly, I got up and tiptoed to the door of my room with Eun Mi in it. I sat down next to the door, leaning against the wall and closed my eyes. Surprisingly, it was more comfortable here.

I was able to have some peaceful sleep until I felt something jab me in the ribs. I opened my eyes to see Eun Mi opening the door. She gasped when she saw me. 

"Oh, L.Joe! I'm sorry, I didn't see you there..."

"It's alright." I said. "What is it?"

"I... I can't sleep." She said.

"Because you need music, right? You can't sleep without listening to music."

Her eyes widened. "Y-yeah... How do you know that? Even Changjo doesn't know."

"I told you we were really close friends, didn't I?" I patted on the floor next to me, telling her to sit down. "Sit here. I'll sing for you."

"Sing?" Eun Mi slowly sat down next to me, but several inches away. "Um..."

"Just sit down and relax." I told her. She nodded shyly and hugged her knees to her chest. I took a deep breath and began to sing for her. 

"It’s a star twinkling, beautiful night.
I hope this night lasts forever, hold my hand.
The blue moonlight makes this a beautiful night.
Walk across that sky with me."

Eun Mi gazed at the floor, but I saw her body relax so I continued.

"I’m yours – only you can make my heart race – I’m outta control.
I’m yours, nobody, nobody can take your place.
You drive me crazy."

I looked up at her and saw that she had closed her eyes. She was nodding her head along with the melody.

"Left and right, you shake me up on this disco night.
From top to bottom, from front and back, you flip my heart inside out.
You are like cotton candy, I never get sick of you.
Before this night is all over, let’s love all night."

Eun Mi's breathing became even and I had the sudden urge to cuddle next to her. But I didn't.

"I still don’t really know love – the moment I first saw you.
I felt a strong wave washing over me.
Drenching my heart to the deepest corners oh oh oh oh girl."

She looked so peaceful and angelic with her eyes closed and her hair falling naturally in layers. Unknowingly, I stopped singing as my hand inched forward and closed around her hand. Her eyes fluttered open and she withdrawed from my touch.

"L-L.Joe..." Eun Mi stuttered, a blush coming to her cheeks. "Uh... I think I can sleep now." I watched her as she stood up in a hurry. "Thanks... you can go back to sleep"

I sat there and watched her get up. She went back into the room and closed the door. My heart ached again... watching her jump from my touch, as if it was something foreign.

I was really forgotten. Forgotten.