The Talk

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

✻ chapter twentyone:
the talk
eun mi's pov
 
 

I looked at L.Joe's pale face and panicked. I tried to pick him up by myself but I was too weak. If only I could get him somewhere safe...

"Eun Mi? Is that you?"

I looked up and saw Changjo standing there with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. He ran over to me and saw the injured Kingka. "What-? What happened?"

I wiped my cheeks and didn't answer his question. "Can you help me bring him inside?"

He nodded and he picked L.Joe up and onto his back. I fumbled with the lock on the door but managed to open it. Changjo set L.Joe on my bed, leaning him against the bed frame, and I got some rags out to soak up all the blood.

"Changjo, could you please go find my first aid kit? It's somewhere in the kitchen."

"Arasseo."

He left and I grabbed a chair so I could sit beside L.Joe. I studied his closed eyes and the pained expression he had on his face. There was still blood near the edge of his mouth from the punch he had taken for me.

I could feel my eyes tear up again. Why did L.Joe have to get hurt because of me? He didn't deserve it.

I laid my head down on the bed and slipped my hand into his. They were ice-cold.

 

 

--   l.joe's pov  --

I groggily opened my eyes and squinted from the light. Was I in Eun Mi's house? Pain shot through my left arm and I winced. What happened to me?

Oh. That's right. I was walking home from Chunji's house when I saw a creep about to hurt Eun Mi, tried to save her, and ended up being taken down by a knife through the arm. Just great.

I turned my head to the right and saw Eun Mi sitting at the edge of the bed. She was waiting for me... Even though her braid was messed up and her cheeks were wet, she looked like an angel. Surprisingly, she wasn't wearing her usual glasses. I gazed at her and gave her hand a squeeze.

Her eyes fluttered open and she immediately sat up. "L.Joe! You're awake!"

She stood up and pointed to the kitchen. "Ah, Changjo helped me bring you in. Should I go tell him you're awake?"

Before I could answer, she turned around to leave. I didn't let go of her hand and pulled her back to me. She stumbled and landed on the bed next to me.

"Don't go."

I could see her eyes go soft and she nodded. "O-okay. I'll stay."

Eun Mi repositioned herself so that her head was on my shoulder. I looked over at her. "Are you alright? That guy didn't do anything to you, did he?"

"You came just at the right moment." I could see her eyes glitter with tears. "L.Joe, I'm so sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

"It's because of me that you're hurt." Her voice wavered. "You shouldn't have done that."

"It's worth getting hurt if it's for you." I gave her a smile and tightened my grip on her hand. She winced and I let go. "Did I hurt you?"

"The guy's grip on my wrist was really strong... so it's kind of sore now." She replied and took my hand again, only more gentle this time. "Don't worry about it. It's nothing."

My hand brushed against her cheek, wiping away a few tears. "So, I hear you're Changjo's girlfriend now."

"Y-yeah." Eun Mi blushed a deep shade of red.

I felt a sad pang in my heart. She didn't retaliate but actually agreed to it. She didn't seem upset at all. But I didn't say any of that. "Is he treating you well?"

She nodded. "Yeah. We're going on a... date tomorrow."

Date? God, I'm about to lose her to Changjo, aren't I?

"Are you okay with it?" She asked me nervously.

"Why wouldn't I be okay with it?"

She looked down at our hands. "I don't know... I just..."

"As long as you're comfortable and happy, I'm okay with anything." I leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss. It was all I could do to prevent myself from trying to make her mine.

 



-- ♥  eun mi's pov  --

L.Joe gave me a kiss and looked away. I blushed deep red, wondering if Changjo was eavesdropping. Was this wrong? Was this right? I don't even know anymore.

"Eun Mi, is it this thing right here?" I heard Changjo's voice come from the kitchen.

I got up and went to him, leaving a wistful L.Joe behind. Changjo was in a cupboard under the sink, holding a white box in his hands. "Yeah. Let's go clean L.Joe's wound."

We both went to my bed and Changjo took out some bandages from the kit and wrapped it around the Kingka's arm. "So tell me; what happened?"

"Um... I-I was..."

"A ert tried to make her his next target." L.Joe cut me off. His expression had hardened. "I was walking from Chunji's house when I saw her."

Changjo's eyes widened. "What?!"

I looked down, ashamed. "It's true. I was walking alone so..."

"What were you thinking, walking home alone so late in the night?" Changjo scolded me.

"Ya, don't scold her. She's the victim here." L.Joe said.

I shook my head. "No, I deserve it. I should have thought about more..."

"Where were you coming from at this hour?" Changjo's voice softened to a gentle tone and I turned red.

"I-I was... Today was my best friends birthday."

It was L.Joe's turn to have his eyes widened. "Seohyun?"

I nodded shyly. "Yeah."

"I see." Changjo finished wrapping it up and moved on to L.Joe's mouth, where the dried blood was. He wiped it away with a wet towel and L.Joe winced, but he didn't pull away. It looked like it stung.

He turned back to me. "Be more careful next time, alright? And don't go alone. If you need us, we'll be right here for you."

I smiled at his words. "Arasseo."

 

-- ♥ --


"Are you sure you'll be alright? I'll go with you guys."

Changjo had agreed to help out and take L.Joe home. They were outside at my doorstep and it was almost pitch-black.

"We'll be fine. But you're not coming with us! Who knows what will happen to you again?" Changjo pointed out.

L.Joe tried to hide the pain with a smile. "Be sure to get some rest tonight, got it?"

"I got it. But you have to go have your arm checked tomorrow. Promise?" I said.

He nodded. "Promise."

I took his un-injured hand and did a pinky lock. Changjo saw what I was doing and smiled. We had done the same thing, only on video chat.

Changjo pulled me aside for a quick word. "Eun Mi, these flowers are for you." He put the bouquet of flowers that I saw earlier into my hands. "I was going to wish you good night, but there was a delay, you see."

I blushed and smiled. "Thank you! You know you didn't have to do this, right?"

"I know. I wanted to." He gave me a hug and whispered in my ear. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you again."

"I-it's okay. Don't worry." He let go of me and I glanced shyly at L.Joe. What was he thinking right now?

"Bye guys. See you tomorrow." I closed the door and watched them leave. What would happen between those two?

 

-- ♥ --

 

The next morning, Changjo was waiting for me outside my apartment again. We held hands as we walked to school.

"Did L.Joe get home safely?" I asked him.

He nodded. "Yeah. He's going to get it checked this morning. He'll be back during lunch."

I sighed, grateful that he wasn't in a fatal condition. Changjo and I arrived in our classroom and he held my hand through the whole class. 

I could get used to this... Is that a bad thing?

At lunch, the Teen Top members jumped on L.Joe as soon as he step foot onto the campus. Ricky saw his hyung's arm and started to poke it. "Hyung, what happened?"

"Nothing." L.Joe answered. His eyes met mine and he gave me a look that said 'It's our secret'.