The Meeting

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
✻ chapter five:
the meeting
eun mi's pov
 
 

My alarm went off at 5am today. I quickly changed into shorts and an evergreen sweater. No time to check blogs or eat breakfast, I had to be there at 5:30am sharp. If I was thirty seconds late, my pay will be halved for that week.

At 5:18am, I stepped into my black converse and plopped a black beanie on my head of messy hair. The cafe I worked at was a few streets away so I started to walk as fast as I could with my leg in its current state. There weren't many cars out but the shops in this area were opening for the day.

Sandwiched in the middle of a clothing shop and a hardware store was my workplace, Namsan Delights. I entered the rather small but cozy shop and the hanging bells on the door jingled.

The walls were painted a creamy white color and the wooden floor matched well. Green chairs were placed neatly around white round tables. Each table had a cute little vase with an origami flower sticking out. Paintings were framed on the wall and a bookshelf added to the room's charm. Some orchestra music was being played in the background. Most of this was done by the owner's niece, Lee Sun Kyu. Everyone calls her Sunny because she's always bright, positive, and acts like a kid.  

The counter where the employees worked behind was in the back of the shop. I went behind, swiped my employee card, and put on my black apron (the shop's uniform). My name tag was pinned to my chest.

"5:26am. Not bad, Eun Mi." A short woman came out from the little kitchen area. She was wearing the same apron as me and her gray hair was tied in a neat bun.

"Good morning, Grandma Kim." I gave her a full 90 degree bow. She was the owner of this cafe and was very kind. Sure, her rules may be pretty strict but she was generous enough to keep me as an employee and pay me the same salary as everyone else.

I could smell cinnamon in the air. Grandma Kim always made her signature cinnamon rolls fresh in the morning. I had them once (the first day I worked here) and they were really good.

She went back into the kitchen to finish them and I went to the cash register. From 5:30am to 6:00am I worked behind the counter. When more customers come in, I switch to a waiter. Every few minutes, adults would come in, order some coffee, and then leave for work. I sighed. Morning shifts were slow...

Around 7am, some kids came in too. They ordered Grandma Kim's cinnamon rolls and some milk.

At 8am, more people entered the cafe and I went to each table to take their orders. I clipped the orders on a little magnet-board-thing so the employees in the kitchen knew what to make.

The customers started to pile in and Luna, one of the other workers here, came to help me. With brown layered hair and friendly eyes, Luna was very pretty. Of course, our customers liked her. She knew how to talk to people and make them feel good, unlike me.

Around 9am, the cafe started to empty out and by 10am everyone was gone. I slapped my notepad on the counter and picked up a damp washcloth to wipe the tables. I was on the fifth table when the door jingled and three figures walked in and sat in a corner table.

I hung the washcloth on my forearm, picked up my notepad, and clicked my pen. "Hello, what would you like to have today?"

"Eun Mi? You work here?"

I looked up from my notepad. Three familiar faces looked back at me. "Guys! What are you doing here?"

Sooyoung, who was wearing a simple white shirt with a black miniskirt that had a frayed hem, pointed at Chan Doo. "He said this place was popular so we came here."

Chan Doo held up a peace sign. He had his headphones over his black sweatshirt and jeans. "Glad to see you again!"

"We came over to your place to ask you to come with us but you were already here." Changjo said. He looked like one of those Kpop idols on TV wearing black leather jackets and those denim skinny jeans.
 
They actually went to my place to find me. I felt a tiny twinge of happiness inside. But it was deep inside... maybe two billion feet deep. "What would you like to order?"

Sooyoung decided on some iced tea, Chan Doo order a latte, and Changjo had an iced coffee. I gave them a free cinnamon roll each, leaving a note for Grandma Kim to subtract it from my pay.
 
"Are you allowed to sit down with your customers during work hours?" Chan Doo asked me. I shook my head but he insisted. Carefully, I looked over my shoulder. Luna had retreated into the kitchen to help Grandma Kim, so I was safe if they didn't come out.
 
"I thought students weren't allowed to have jobs." Changjo asked me.

I nodded. "Yeah, that's true... But I talked with the school counselor and she said it was okay for me because of the financial situation I'm in."

"Financial situation?" Sooyoung raised her eyebrow.
 
I played will a loose strand coming from the end of my sweater sleeve. I was uncomfortable talking about money. "I live alone so it's kind of hard for me to find money and pay for everything. So the school lowered their tuition for me."

There was a pause of silence and I tried to continue the conversation. "So, how did you two meet?" I looked at Chan Doo to Changjo. It

"Well, at my other school I was in a dance team. It was practically the only reason why I went to school. One of my online friends told me I should form a dance crew at my new school if there wasn't one. So I asked for permission from the school and the first person who signed up was Chan Doo." Changjo replied.
 
Chan Doo nodded. "It was cool how I already knew Sooyoung and you, so I figured he must be a good person too."

In my mind I gasped. I was the one who told BlackAngel, or Changjo, to do that.

Sooyoung finished her ice tea and asked me a question. "What are you going to do for the talent show?"

I groaned. "Aish, I screwed myself up. I never should had accepted the challenge."
 
"No, you should've. That dude L.Joe needs to be beaten once and for all!" She pumped her fist in the air.

Changjo agreed. "Yeah, we'll support you so do the best you can!"

I noticed that Chan Doo grew quiet when L.Joe was brought up. I wonder why. "Don't you have any special skills?"

I shook my head. "Not any I can think of..."

"Well, your safest bet is music. Almost all winners in competitions are singers or dancers." Sooyoung advised me.

"Do you know how to play any instruments?" Chan Doo asked me.

I started to shake my head but then thought about the guitar that was put away in my closet at my apartment. It was a gift from Seohyun for my 9th birthday and I use to play all the time. "Well... I do know a bit of guitar."

Sooyoung clapped her hands together. "Great! You can play guitar and sing! That's perfect!"

Sing? Oh, no. The only person that has ever heard my sing before was Seohyun. If I were to sing in front of the whole school, I will stutter and make a fool out of myself. But my friends were too excited to notice my poor reaction.
Friends. The thought of having friends was really nice.

"Eun Mi, could you please help us with this?" Luna ran out of the kitchen.

I immediately stood up and out of the chair. "Sure." I gave her a Will you tell on me? look and she replied with a wink. I nodded, grateful. I looked back at my three classmates. "My shift ends at 10:30am, so wait for me. I'll be back in a few minutes."
 
They nodded and I headed to the kitchen to help Grandma Kim clean up. After completing the task at hand, I swiped my time card, hung my apron on its hook, and said my goodbyes to Grandma Kim and Luna.
 
I headed up front where my friends were weaiting for me to leave. "Where are we going?" I asked them curiously.
 
"To our dance studio! We want to show you our dance team." Sooyoung said. "Kaja!"
 
 

-- --

 

The studio was very big and spacious, The wooden floor was polished and the mirror walls had no smudges. It was the perfect place for a dance practice. A group of people were stretching in the back of the studio. They all lined up when they saw Changjo but eyed me suspiciously. They must have heard all the rumours about me.

"Guys, this is my friend Park Eun Mi. She's our first 'audience' and is here to watch us today and give us feedback."
 
"Feed-what?" I asked him. "I don't know anything about dancing!"
 
He grinned. "First, I'll introduce you to our team. I'm the captain, of course. Then there's co-captain Sooyoung and you already know Chan Doo."
 
The blonde curly-haired girl raised her hand. "I'm Hyoyeon."
 
The quiet-looking girl next to her had short black hair and bangs that covered her left eye. "Hey. I'm Eunjung."
 
"The name's Changbum. Nice to meet you." The super-tall guy next to her flipped his light brown hair out of his eyes. 
 
"Nice to meet you too." I replied. Wow, they really do look like dancers.
 
Changjo pointed at the front mirror wall. "You can sit there and watch us. This is the first ever routine we have choreographed together, so it might not be our best."
 
I slowly sat down, criss-crossing my legs and nodded. Eunjung the stereo and everyone went into their positions. 'Super Girl' by Super Junior-M began to play.  The familiar 'Oh~ oh~ oh~ oh~' and the strong beat rang in the air. 
 
They started off with Changbum in the middle, doing a really cool popping dance. Then they merged and danced in unison, their movements flowing as one. You could tell from their efforts that they all had a passion for dancing. The girls went up to the front and did their solos. Sooyoung winked at me before it was Chan Doo and Changjo's turn. They were so focused. They both did a flip and landed on their feet as soon as the song came to an end. 
 
I got up and clapped my hands in awe. "Are you sure you're students at Namsan High? You guys must be professional dancers in disguise or something!"
 
Hyoyeon laughed. "We're not that good!"
 
"Not good? You must be joking!" I scoffed as the others sat down to catch their breath. "You guys did really well!"
 
Changjo took a swig from his water bottle. "Thanks."
 
"Are you guys going to continue practicing here?" I asked.
 
Sooyoung nodded. "Yeah. You can go home first. We can talk about performance later."
 
"Okay." I said, and exited the studio. "See you guys later."
 
The sun was over my head now. My stomache growled. It was lunch time and I haven't eaten yet. I decided to head home and eat something when I passed by a small community park. Maybe I'll just sit on the swings for a little bit...
 
Sitting down on one of the swings, I tried to swing back and forth with all my might, but I was going nowhere. I ended up surrendering and just sat there. 
 
During recess, I would always be alone, sitting on the ground and picking at the rocks. When Seohyun came along, she taught me how to swing, hang upside down, and play all sorts of childish games with her. I watched two little kids play tag in the field or a while before their parents told them to go home. 
 
I kicked the ground with my shoe. Why did I accept the talent show challenge anyway? I wasn't the kind of person who cracked under peer pressure. I looked up at the sky, where a few white clouds were floating by. A couple of birds flew to my left and I turned my head to continue watching them. Instead of birds, I saw L.Joe sitting in the swing next to me. 
 
"Oh my-! L.Joe! You scared me! How long have you been sitting there?"
 
L.Joe grinned instead smirked. "Just a few minutes. You seemed to be spacing out." 
 
I sighed, not wanting to really talk to him. Then my stomach growled again.
 
"Have you eaten yet?" L.Joe asked. 
 
I shook my head. "No. I was about to go home and eat."
 
He stood up. "I haven't eaten either. How about we go eat something?"
 
I almost fell off the swing. "Together?"
 
"Yeah, together." 
 
I slowly stood up. "Is this a trick?"
 
He rolled his eyes. "Look, let's just be enemies in the talent show, okay? Outside of school, let's be friends."
 
I couldn't believe it. Was this the same self-concieted boy from the other day?
 
"Um... okay."
 
 
 

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
 

✻ author's note the dorky me
Next set of cameo appearances from 100%'s Changbum, T-ara's Eunjung, and SNSD's Hyoyeon. I've had this thing for Eunjung after watching Dream High and Hyoyeon is just awesome. Changbum is my bias in 100%, but it's slowly changing to Rockhyun and Jonghwan now...
~Ljjang창조♪