The Tears?

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

✻ chapter twentyfive:
the tears?
eun mi's pov

“Eun Mi.”

“…”

“Hellooooo~?”

“…”

“Eun Mi! EUN MI!”

I snapped out of my trance. “Huh?”

“Stop daydreaming and start working.” Luna scolded me.

“Oh… okay.”

My fellow employee went back to waiting tables and I picked up the wet towel on the table I was supposed to be cleaning.

This morning at work, I’ve been dazing off on my duties. I tried to throw the thoughts of my love life out the window but I just couldn’t concentrate at all.

“Go wait the tables over there, Eun Mi.” Luna pointed to one of the corners of the care.

I nodded and obeyed her orders. Now was not the time to be worrying about boys. “How may I help you today?”

“Can I get some blueberry scones?”

“Sure.” I shook my head to clear my thoughts. “Let’s see…”

I looked up and gasped. Then I wacked the customer on the head. “Sooyoung! I haven’t seen you in forever!”

My friend grinned. “I came here yesterday but you weren’t here.”

“I’ll go get you some scones and come back.” I giggled. I went to get the tasty treat, returned, and set the plate down. “Why were you looking for me?”

“To ask you about your date with my brother.” She reached for a scone. “Was it awkward? Was it boring? Was he cheesy?”

“No, he was actually really nice and I had fun.” I stuck my tongue out at her teasingly.

The bells on the door jingled and three boys walked in. It was (ironically) Changjo, L.Joe, and Chunji. They saw us and came over to sit down.

“Why are you guys here together?” I asked them.

“I was on my way here when I ran into them.” Changjo said. “Since we were going to the same place, we came together.”

“Oh, I see.” My eyes stayed on the table and avoided looking at L.Joe or Changjo. I wasn’t ready to face Changjo and L.Joe at the moment.

“I heard from Grandma Kim you went to Lotte World yesterday.” Sooyoung told me.

“Yeah, I went with Teen Top…”

Changjo pouted and pretended to look hurt. “You went with them but didn’t invite me? I feel offended now.”

“Aw, come on! She went on a date with you before. You can’t have her all to yourself, you know.” Chunji said.

“But I wish I did.” I heard him say softly.  

I blushed and pointed to the other tables, which were filling in with other customers. “I, uh, have to continue working. You guys can stay if you want.”

“Arasseo, we’ll wait for you.” L.Joe replied.

For the rest of my morning shift, I ran from table to table and got food for the customers. My small group of friends stayed at the same table and whenever I passed by them, we’d exchange a few sentences or so.

After my shift was done, I pretended to fall onto the chair and look exhausted. “Wow, that felt like ages…”

Chunji handed me the last scone on the plate and I gratefully accepted it. I bit into it and smiled. Grandma Kim’s treats were indeed the best.

I finished the delight and L.Joe pointed at the side of my mouth.  “You have something right here…”

He leaned forward and was about to wipe it off but Changjo beat him to it. He off the crumbs next to my mouth using his tongue.

Chunji and Sooyoung gasped in awe as I blushed as red as Hyunseung’s hair in the music video Beautiful Night. “Ew, Changjo! Do that in your own time!”

I looked down at my fingers sheepishly as he leaned back in his own chair. “What? Did I just do something illegal?”

I couldn’t believe Changjo was so daring. L.Joe sent him a death glare and he happily counter-attacked with a smirk. I could feel them going head-on with each other, declaring war with their sinister stares.

“Um… g-guys?” I asked nervously. They both looked at me at the same time I flinched. “Why don’t we go somewhere together as a group? You know… have fun?”

Sooyoung stood up. “Sounds like a good idea. I have a place in mind.”

We all followed her out the door and she led the way. L.Joe took my hand and tugged on me so that I was really close to him. I heard him whisper to himself. “If he’s not afraid of the public, then I won’t be either…”

I wasn’t really paying attention to where we were going; it was kind of hard, considering that there was a really cute guy holding your hand and another really cute guy keeping his eyes on you.

I felt something wet splash onto me. “Sooyoung! What are you doing?”

I looked at where we were. There was a huge area of water fountains, spraying out water above our heads. Sooyoung had taken off her shoes and was splashing me with water.

“Ya, get back here!” I let go of L.Joe’s hands, kicked off my own shoes, and ran after her into the field.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Changjo and Chunji attacking L.Joe. I laughed and tackled Sooyoung. We fell onto the grass and burst into laughter.

Then I saw the boys running away from us. “What are they doing?”

Sooyoung squinted her eyes and gasped. “Oh no, they didn’t!”

“They didn’t what?”

She quickly got up and started chasing after them. “They have our shoes!”

I followed her and when the boys saw us, they threw our shoes all the way across the fountains. “Ya, Chunji! I thought you were the nice one!”

He grinned and pointed at L.Joe and Changjo. “It was their idea.”

That was the cue for both boys to chase after me while Sooyoung went to retrieve our shoes. “Ya, guys! Why me?!”

I ran into the fountains but they followed me without missing a beat. L.Joe slipped and I giggled. But then I slipped as well, and Changjo started laughing at both of us. I gave L.Joe an ‘okay’ and we both pulled Changjo down.

I suddenly thought about the answer Changjo and L.Joe were waiting for from me and turned a bit sad. I was having so much fun with these two. Did I have to pick only one?

L.Joe noticed me stiffen up. “Are you okay?”

I nodded and managed to smile. “Gwenchanha.”

“Well then, let’s go see what my sister and Chunji are up too.” Changjo helped me get up and gave me an eye smile.

We went over to the other two. I dragged a bit behind and let the two boys go ahead by a few steps. They were actually getting along really well, and didn’t argue or anything.

We were all soaking wet, from head to toe. My face was also wet, but why?

Was it because of playing around in the water, or were they tears?

I don't know... I just don’t want to choose.

 

-- ♥ --

 

After retrieving our soaking wet shoes, we went to get some patbingsoo before heading back home.

“Eun Mi-ah, say ‘aaaah’.” Changjo took a scoop from his and held it out to me. I could see Sooyoung and Chunji rolling their eyes and pretending to throw up behind him.

I blushed as he brought it closer to my mouth. But L.Joe intercepted it and ate it.

“Mmm, it really is good.” He glared at Changjo, who just shrugged and went back to eating all by himself.

L.Joe held out a cherry for me. “Want it?”

I nodded shyly. He was about to let me have it but then popped the entire cherry in his mouth. I pouted at him as he smiled goofily. I ran over to Chunji, clinging onto his arm. “Oppa, give me some!”

He looked surprised at my sudden reaction but he happily gave me some with his spoon. “Omo, it’s so good!”

We both looked back at L.Joe and Changjo, who both scowled at the fact I had called him ‘oppa’ and that he was the one who had shared some with me. I looked back at Chunji and we tried not to laugh. The two boys were acting really childish today.

Chunji and Sooyoung headed home first and L.Joe and Changjo brought me to my door. I thanked them for taking me somewhere fun again.

They both smiled and then glared at each other, as if saying ‘her smiles are for me, doofus’.

Changjo turned to me. “Have you thought about it yet? Which one of us are you going to pick?”

“Huh? Oh… yeah. I-I’m not ready yet.” I looked down at my fingers. “Could I have more time? I…”

L.Joe ruffled my hair. “Of course. Take as much time as you need.”

“I’m sorry you guys have to wait so long…”

“It’s alright. We know it’s a hard decision for you to make.”

”But of course, it’s going to be me.” Changjo joked.

L.Joe scoffed. “In your dreams.”

I pinched both of their cheeks. “No matter who I pick, you have to promise me not to fight, okay?”

They nodded and I went in. “Bye, Changjo. Bye, L.Joe.”

I closed the door shut and I watched them leave. I heard them arguing and giggled.

“She said my name first. She obviously likes me more.”

“Oh, shut up Mr. I-Think-I’m-Perfect.”

“You’re just jealous.”

“Ya, why would I be jealous?”

“You’re my hyung, aren’t you? You’re old…”

“Mwuh? I dare you to say that again!"