The Competition

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 

 

✻ chapter eleven:
the competition
eun mi's pov

 

sat backstage with the other competitors, fiddling with the end of my scarf. There was a TV screen where we could watch the other people perform. So far, the first few acts were amazing! The Queenkas were performing right now. My talent felt so plain and boring. 

I gasped when Changjo sensed my nervousness and grabbed my hand. He smiled. "You'll be fine."
 
I blushed and looked around to see if anyone was watching, but their eyes were all glued to the screen. "T-thanks."
 
It was when L.Joe and Teen Top lined up at the end of the stage that Changjo released my hand. My face was turning red. Did he see that?
 
"And now, please give us a round of applause for Teen Top!" Principal Kang Seok Ho announced. The whole room erupted into screams, squeals, and fanchants. 
 
L.Joe shot a glance at me from the front of the line. I didn't know what to do, so I looked away and at the screen. They came out and positioned themselves. Music started to play and they began their musical act. 
 
 
"I need you baby, baby, baby
Annyeongiran mareun hajimara
I want you Babe Babe Babe 
Wae iri sarangi himdeungeonji
Neo jebal

Stop Stop Breaking my heart 
I love you you girl
Stop Stop Breaking my heart
 I need you girl
Stop Stop Breaking my heart
I love you girl
Daeche arisonghan ni sogeul nan al su eobtjanha
 
 Mwohaneun geoya wae iri yeollagi an dwae
Hoksi dareun saramirado saenggingeoya?
 Bogosipdan mariya igeon jeongmal aniya
Nae jeonhwa wae pihae neo jangnanchijima! 

Silgamjochado najiranha
Neo hana gyeote eobseuni na
Maeilmaeil haruharuga naegen geujeo jiokgata! 
Jukdorok neomu apeunde michil deusi himdeunde
Niga jjijeonoheun nae mam na eotteokhae."
 

 
This time, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. L.Joe was a complete different person onstage! He had so much charisma and confidence in his rap. I was practically mesmerized. How could I win against him?
 
They continued to dance and sing. Niel, Chunji, and Ricky were the vocals and L.Joe and C.A.P. were the rappers. They took turns taking the spotlight. My tried to make my heartbeat slow down whenever it was L.Joe's turn. 
 
The song ended and the fangirls started screaming. It hurt my ears, that high-pitched shrill of theirs. The Kingkas filed off the stage. Niel punched his fist in the air. "Wow, that was awesome!"
 
Ricky jumped on C.A.P.'s back. "That was so fun, hyung!"
 
Chunji grinned at me. "Try beating that, Eun Mi!"
 
I couldn't help but smile. Teen Top was so playful and carefree. They merely liked performing because of the fun.
 
"Now, now, please settle down." The principal tried to shush the roaring fangirls. "Park Eun Mi, please come out."
 
I froze. It was my turn, but I couldn't move. Changjo grabbed my guitar from its case and handed it to me. Sooyoung came over and took off my glasses. 
 
"Wait, what are you-?"
 
"Trust me, you look better without your glasses." She told me. "Now, go out there and knock their socks off!"
 
My feet started to move and I my eyes started to adjust to having no glasses. I passed by L.Joe and he whispered in my ear. He said it softly but loud enough for me to hear.
 
"Good luck."
 
I almost tripped but steadied myself. I slowly went out onto the spacious stage. The spotlight blinded me, making me squint. All I could see of the audience were black blurs. I heard whispers and a few 'boo's' coming from the audience. 
 
I nervously looked backstage. I could make out Changjo and Sooyoung standing there, giving me a thumbs up. If they believed in me, then I should too. I positioned my mic, held my guitar pick firmly, and took a deep breath. 
 
 
"Niga ittneun gose nado hamkke halge... 
Niga ganeun gose nado hamkke galge... 

Neol wihaeseo maeil utgo
Neol wihaeseo gidohago
Ni saenggage jamdeulgo
Neol bureumyeo nuneul ddeo
Nae yeopeseo jikyeojugo
Nae yeopeseo gamssajuneun
Neon naui cheongugingeol... "
 
 
I sang into the mic, ready to dive into the chorus. The chorus was Seohyun's favorite part. I was singing this for her.


"You're my only one way
Ojik neoreul wonhae
Naega ni gyeote isseume gamsahae
You're the only one babe
Himdeun sesang soge sarangeul alge haejun
Neo hanaro naneun haengbokhae... 
Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven
Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven
Uri hamkkeramyeon
We will never cry never never cry

Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven
Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven
Yeongwonhi duriseo never gonna be alone."
 
 
Seohyun and I used to sing this song all the time. It was our all-time favorite, I remembered. I continued singing and was thankful I couldn't see the audience's faces. Their reaction would make me much more nervous. s/a/ailee/heaven.html ]
 
I held out the last note as long as I could. I finished strumming the last note and listened to the silence in the auditorium. I stood there nervously, regretting my performace and running backstage. But as soon as I took a step, I heard cheers coming from the crowd. 
 
Sooyoung ran up to me. "Eun Mi, that was daebak! You totally nailed it!"
 
I laughed and took my glasses back from her. "I can't believe I just did that in front of everyone!"
 
Changjo gave me a smile. "You better believe it. I knew you had it in you."
 
I gave him a shy smile. "Thanks."
 
I heard Principal Kang Seok Ho's voice once more. "The last act of the night will be the new dance group, BlackAngels!"
 
Did I just hear him correctly? I looked at Changjo in shock. "What? You're dance team's name! That's..."
 
He grinned. "Yep."
 
The newly-formed dance group went out and I heard the fangirls and fanboys go nuts all over again. I stood there, smiling and watching them dance to one of my favorite songs, Stop Girl (by Ukiss). It was the perfect song.
 
I watched Changjo dance in the front and thought back on what I read in his notebook. And the messages he sent me as Black Angel. Did he really... like me? I shook my head and turned red at the thought. That was just absurd.
 
"Eun Mi, you were great out there." 
 
I turned around. "Oh... you were too, L.Joe."
 
He looked out at the dance team onstage. "Pretty stiff competition, eh?"
 
"Yeah."
 
Their dance ended and everyone was called out to the stage. The BlackAngels were on my left and Teen Top were on my right. 
 
"The judges will now announce their pick."
 
Everyone silenced themselves, not wanting to miss out on the most important part of the night. It was dead silent and I was sure people could hear my heart beat 2,500 times a minute.
 
The first judge, a middle-aged man spoke into his microphone. "Park Eun Mi."
 
I couldn't believe my ears. I got one vote from the judges! Sooyoung turned to me and hugged me. 
 
The second judge took the microphone. "BlackAngels."
 
I hugged Sooyoung back and gave everyone a thumbs up. This was really unbelievable!
 
The third judge announce her pick. "Teen Top.'
 
The fangirls screamed. Now we were at a tie. My fate for the next week was in the hands of the last judge. 
 
I felt a hand slip into mine. It was, surprisingly, L.Joe. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. Blushing, I tried to hide it from view of the entire student body. What was he thinking? Him being my rival in this thing and all... yet he was holding my hand? 
 
 
 
 
The final judge chose his final answer. "My pick is..."