The Pranks

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
✻ chapter fourteen:
the pranks
eun mi's pov

 

I sat down at the table we were going to eat at. The cooking group was finishing up the rice cakes and the rest of us were having a moment of peace.

Wait... So L.Joe had liked me from the beginning? Why?
 
I sneaked a glance at Changjo, who was talking with Sooyoung and Hyoyeon about something. Did he really like me? Since when? And why? 
 
Aish, all this thinking was going to fry my brain. That is, if I had one. 
 
"The rice cakes are done!" Eunjung cried, carrying plates and setting them on the table.
 
"Aigoo! The dukboki looks so delicious!" Sooyoung gushed. 
 
Eunjung haughtily lifted her chin up. "Of course! I made them!"
 
Everyone sat down and I watched them eat their portion of the meal. 
 
"So, Changjo... Do you like the dukboki? Is it spicy?" Changbum asked eagerly.
 
Changjo swallowed before answering. "Yeah! It's really good! But I can handle the spicyness."
 
Changbum looked at Eunjung, who looked at Chan Doo, who looked at L.Joe with worried expressions. "What about you, Sooyoung? Hyoyeon?"
 
Sooyoung nodded. "Yeah, I can handle it. Why?"
 
I shrugged at this unusual conversation, picked up my chopsticks, and ate the rice cakes on my plate. The cooking group was watching me with expressions of horror on their faces. "Wait, Eun Mi, don't eat it-"
 
Too late. I ate it and my mouth suddenly felt like it was on fire. Holy crap it was spicy. 
 
"Spicy... spi...spicy..." I gasped out. I felt like I was going to faint. 
 
"Ah, get her ice cream! Wait, we have no ice cream!"
 
"What about milk? Do we have milk?"
 
"Water! Just get water!"
 
Sooyoung held my shoulders as I gasped and wheezed. I just found out I cannot handle spicy stuff well. Someone handed me a cup of water and I lifted it to my lips, gulping it down in five seconds flat.
 
"Are you okay?" Eunjung asked, her eyes wide.
 
"Gwaenchanha." I replied. "What the heck did you put in there?"
 
L.Joe looked guilty as he answered. "We put in a whole tube of wasabi in some of the rice cakes."
 
"Mwuh?" I coughed and drank some more water. "Why?"
 
Chan Doo looked kind of frightened. "It was for Changjo, I swear!"
 
"Sooyoung told us he liked to eat spicy things so we wanted to see how much he could take." Changbum explained. 
 
"Oh, so it's my fault now?" Sooyoung exclaimed. 
 
Everyone started to talk and say how it wasn't their fault. Changjo, who wasn't saying anything at all, caught my eye. We burst out laughing. Everyone looked at us.
 
"You guys, it's alright! It's just a prank that went wrong!" I chuckled. "Come one, let's continue eating."
 
Everyone turned back to their own plates and Sooyoung shared some of hers with me. I was put on clean-up duty with L.Joe, so when everyone was done we washed the dishes. 
 
"Sorry about that, Eun Mi. It was my idea." 
 
I picked up a sponge and wiped some plates. "As long as I'm still alive, it's alright."
 
We washed the dishes in silence. This was really awkward. What was I supposed to say to him? Out of nervousness, I dropped one of the dishes into the sink with a splash. The soapy water landed on L.Joe.
 
"Ya, what are you doing?" He took a handful of bubbles and blew them at me. 
 
"Hey!" I giggled. I counter-attacked with my own dishsoap bubbles by putting some on his nose.
 
"Guys! Don't play while you're washing the dishes!" Sooyoung's voice came from the main room.
 
I called back teasingly. "Yes, Mother!"
 
L.Joe laughed and tried to blow away the bubbles in my hair. It was the first time I saw him laugh. He was really cute. I blushed at the thought and ran out of the kitchen after drying the dishes. It was time for everybody to wash up and go to sleep.
 
Everyone went into their assigned rooms and changed into their sleeping garments. Sooyoung, surprisingly, put on a pink flannel pajama outfit. I never imagined her to be the type to wear something like that. We turned off the lights and heard the guys in the other room quiet down. 
 
"Hey, we should prank the guys or something." Hyoyeon whispered. 
 
It didn't take me long to realize Hyoyeon was the playful and carefree one of the group. But seriously, what was with these people and pranks? "Okay."
 
We waited a while to make sure the boys were asleep before tiptoeing into their room. Chan Doo and Changbum were on the beds while Changjo and L.Joe were sprawled on the floor.
 
Eunjung grinned as she picked up the iPod Chan Doo was listening to. She pressed a few butons and set it down again. Chan Doo was as silent as ever, not noticing what was going on.
 
"I changed his hip hop music to the Poporo theme song!" She whispered. 
 
Sooyoung crept over to Changbum and pulled out a Sharpie from her pocket. I was befuddled. Why would someone keep a Sharpie in their pajama pockets?
 
She took off the cap and gently pressed it on his arm. He didn't move, so she doodled all over his arm and gave him a mustache and swirls on his cheeks. "Kekeke, I'm Jigglypuff!"
 
I got an idea and went over to the boys sleeping on the floor. I picked up L.Joe's leg and pulled it over to Changjo. What really surprised me was that none of them woke up. 
 
I made both of the boy's hold hands in their sleep with their faces positioned a few inches from each other. Imagine their faces when they woke up like this! 
 
Hyoyeon gave me an 'ok' with her finger and we quietly tiptoed back to our room. Before closing the door, I looked back at Changjo and L.Joe. They looked so sweet, cute, and innocent in their sleep. 
 
 
-- ♥ --
 

I was the first to wake up the next morning. I changed into a purple t-shirt, a red plaid button-up, and a pair of faded blue jeans. I put on my glasses and went out to the main room, deciding not to wake up the others. I wanted to make them some breakfast, so I headed out to the same grocery store we went to last night. I purchased some cheap ingredients for banchan so we could eat it with rice. 

As soon as I got back, I began to prepare the food. In the middle of setting the table, I heard a few surprised shrieks coming from the guy's room (A/N: Um... Do guys shriek? lol). I opened the door and saw L.Joe and Changjo on opposite sides of the room. Both were a bit pink in the face. 

"What's wrong?" Sooyoung, Eunjung, and Hyoyeon had gotten up and were standing behind me.

"Nothing." The boys said in unison as I tried to stiffle a giggle; my little prank had creeped them out.

Changbum sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Why is everyone here?" 

He got up and went into the bathroom. All the girls covered their mouths, trying not to laugh as he ran out and back into the room. He pointed accusingly at Changjo and L.Joe. "Ya, which one of you did this to me?"

Their eyes widened. "Not us."

This time Chan Doo woke up and with a confused look on his face. He took off his headphones and pressed some buttons. "What kind of music is this? Poporo? Wha-?"

That was it. All the girls ran out laughing. "That was so funny! The looks on their faces!"

My stomach started to hurt from laughing too hard. It felt really good.

This was the best morning ever.