The Goodbye

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
✻ chapter twentynine:
the goodbye
eun mi's pov
 

During class today, L.Joe and Changjo were sitting with Ji Yoo and Yoo Jin. I saw Sooyoung sitting all by herself to the side. Wondering what was up, I went over to her and waved my hand in front of her face. She didn't react and kept staring at something. I followed her gaze to see that it fell on Yoo Jin. She sighed, but it was like a love-sick kind of sigh.

"Sooyoung, don't tell me you like Yoo Jin?"

She snapped out of her trance and saw me standing there. "Mwuh? No, I don't."

I giggled. "Yes you do. You're such a terrible liar."

She blushed for the first time ever. It was so weird; usually I was the one who turned red and she was the calm and collected one. I had this sudden plan to get Sooyoung and Yoo Jin together. They were both single, from the looks of it anyways. Sooyoung saw my evil grin and backed away. I laughed and sat down to L.Joe as class began.

We were 'supposedly' taking notes on the lesson when a folded up piece of paper landed on my desk. I looked up to see Yoo Jin looking at me, mouthing "Read it!" with his lips. And so I did.

This is boring. Are you actually paying attention?

I smiled and wrote a reply back. You'll live through this, don't worry.

I tossed it back onto his desk and L.Joe raised his eyebrow. I held up a finger to my lips, telling him not to get us in trouble. He smiled playfully. As if my boyfriend would tell on me.

Yoo Jin replied and gave it back to me when the teacher's back was turned to the class. Do you want to hang after school?

Hang? Was that some sort of American slang for hanging out? Then I realized it would be a perfect chance to get Sooyoung to talk to him! Sure! Can L.Joe , Changjo, and Sooyoung come too? 

Yoo Jin replied in a flash. They can if they want. Ask them!

I passed the note to L.Joe, who passed it to Changjo. They both nodded their heads ‘yes’. Then I showed Sooyoung, who also said yes. "I know what you're trying to do, Eun Mi! Setting me up with him..."

I grinned and wrote back. They want to come. Where will we 'hang'?

I tossed the note to Yoo Jin's desk and he was about to read to it when the teacher appeared before him. She snatched the note away from him. "Eh? Are you guys passing notes?"

I said no while Yoo Jin said yes at the same time. The teacher laughed.

"Well, I'm glad you're honest." The teacher said to him. She discarded the note and turned back to us. "But both of you have detention today, after school."

"Mwuh?" I exclaimed. I could see Sooyoung trying not to laugh out of the corner of my eye.

"You should know better than this. Don't be late!"

Class ended and Yoo Jin glanced at me apologetically. "Sorry..."

"Nah, it's not your fault." I told him.

 "Well, I guess that means we can't hang out today." L.Joe said. "I wanted it to be a small good bye party for Changjo."

I had totally forgotten about that. Ji Yoo and Yoo Jin looked curious. "Wait, where are you going?"

"To Japan." Changjo answered. "It's for a dance program."

Ji Yoo clasped her hands together. "Whoa, you must be daebak!"

"He's the best!" I bragged. Why couldn't I? He really was amazing.

The teacher came over and hustled us out of the classroom. "Go to your next class, kids! Bali!"

We laughed and parted ways to our next classes. The rest of the day I was extra good, so I didn't get any more detentions. Ji Yoo shared gym with Sooyoung and me so it was really fun. We got along so quickly! I discovered she was fantastic at volleyball; something I couldn't do. What was so hard about hitting a ball over the net? Well, let's see.... Everything.

"Ji Yoo, did you know Sooyoung has a crush on your brother?" I said when we were changing.

She gasped in disgust and Sooyoung turned red. "Ya, don't go around telling everyone!"

"I won't, don't worry." I winked at her. It was really fun teasing her! No wonder she used to do it to me.

"Why do you like him though? I've lived with him for all my life and I don't think he's attractive, whatsoever." Ji Yoo said.

Sooyoung got that dreamy look in her eyes. "His eyes sparkle every time he smiles and the way he talks is so sweet. He's just my height and he makes our school uniform look high-class. The way we walks is so cool, his laugh is like music, and he's kind to everyone..."

"What in the world are you talking about?" Ji Yoo made a face. "He's a self-centered jerk, a dork in every situation, and his laugh is the sound of a donkey having a seizure."

I laughed at her reply and Sooyoung stuck her tongue out. "You guys don't get it at all..."

We exited the gym and Ji Yoo and Sooyoung left first. I had to go to the detention room and spend an hour after school. Changjo will be leaving at around 5pm, so I still had time to see him before he leaves.

Yoo Jin and the teacher were already waiting for me in the classroom. I set my bag down on the floor and went over to them. "What are we doing?"

"You'll be sorting these papers out by grade and last name." The teacher directed. "If you have any questions, don't ask because I'll be too busy reading my book over there in the corner."

"Um, okay...?" Yoo Jin looked at her weirdly but just shrugged and picked up the huge pile of paper we were supposed to sort. "Let's get this over with..."

I helped him and we got through half of the stack pretty quickly. I wanted to know what he thought of Sooyoung. "Yoo Jin, do you like dancing?"

"Dancing? Um, sure..." He looked up from his pile. "I'm not a dancer but it's cool how like dance groups can come up with routines and stuff."

"Really? Well then maybe you should watch Sooyoung dance some time! She's really good!" I said. This was a good start. "What hobbies do you like?"

"I like playing soccer." He said. "What about you?"

"Me? Oh, I like playing guitar..."

"That's cool! You should play for me sometime." Yoo Jin said.

"Okay..." 

Yoo Jin started a new pile on the floor. "How long have you known Sooyoung and the others?"

"I met Sooyoung and Changjo a few months ago, when they transfered here." I didn't expect him to ask me a question like this. "As for L.Joe, I've known him since grade school."

"Oh. Did you have any friends before that?"

I puzzled about this question. Why was he asking this? "Um... there was this other girl I was really good friends with."

"What happened? Are you guys still friends?" Yoo Jin asked.

I hesitated to answer. "She... she moved away a long time ago."

"I see... sorry for asking, if it made you uncomfortable." He apologized.

"Ah, that's okay. It's fine." 

We finished sorting the rest of the stack in silence. The teacher was now sound asleep in the chair with the book covering her face. I glanced at Yoo Jin and we tried not to laugh.

"Let's just go. We finished with what we were supposed to do, anyways." I told him. 

He nodded and we quietly filed out of the room. We were about to leave the building when we passed by a classroom with the door hanging open. I peeked in and saw L.Joe and Ji Yoo hunching over a textbook on a desk. They were sitting really close to each other.

I felt my stomach tie itself into knots. What were they doing together?

"...so, if this equals this times that, what is the answer?" I heard L.Joe say. 

"Um... 394?" Ji Yoo guessed.

"Right! Do you get it now?" L.Joe smiled.

"Yeah! Thanks a lot, L.Joe!" 

Yoo Jin saw me stand by the doorway and came over. "Guys? What are you doing here?"

L.Joe looked up and saw us. "Oh! Is detention over?"

"Yeah, it just ended." I said, hoping my voice wasn't wavering. "Are you tutoring her or something?"

Ji Yoo nodded her head. "My math teacher told him to help me with my homework since I didn't get it."

"Thanks for putting up with my sister." Yoo Jin said. "I know she's a handful."

Ji Yoo smacked him on the head. "Ya!"

L.Joe laughed. "No, in fact it was kind of fun."

The knot in my stomach grew tighter. "That's really nice of you, oppa."

He looked over at me. "Yeah..."

I looked away and hugged my hurting stomach. "It's about time for Changjo to leave. Let's go to his house to say goodbye."

"Arasseo." L.Joe turned back to the bickering siblings. "Do you guys want to come with us?"

Ji Yoo put her textbook in her back. "Sure!"

We walked together to Changjo's house, Ji Yoo and me in the middle of the boys. We would say our goodbyes there because the airport would be too far away for everyone to go.

L.Joe came over to me and whispered to me. "Gwenchanhayo?"

"Huh? I'm fine." I said, puzzled. "Gwenchanha."

He gave me a worried look. "You only call me oppa when there's something wrong."

"I'm fine." I repeated, fibbing. I moved away farther from the others and walked behind them. When we passed by my house, I quickly ran in to get my guitar. 

"What's that for?" Yoo Jin asked, pointing at my instrument.

"You'll see." 

Teen Top and BlackAngel members were already there at Changjo's house. Ricky and Niel were hugging him to death but as soon as they saw us they let go and ran over. "Noona, you're here!!"

I smiled and the knot in my stomach faded away. "Of course!"

They both hugged me and L.Joe. Changjo pouted again. "Hey, I'm the one leaving!"

We all laughed and gave him a group hug. The Jung siblings, feeling out of place, stood by the side. I couldn't blame them though, they were new here.

"You have to message me when you get there, got it?" I told him.

Changjo nodded. "Arasseo! I'll message you every single day if you want!"

"That works too!" I smiled as a taxi car drove up to the driveway. 

C.A.P. and Chan Doo brought the suitcases out and put them into the trunk. The atmosphere got a little less cheerful, since the time for him to go was near.

"Wait, Changjo!" I said before he got it. "I have a song for you."

"Really?" I nodded and took out my guitar from the case. I put the strap around my shoulder and faced the tall black and red haired boy. I took a deep breath and began to sing. I had prepared this song earlier. 

"Even if life is hard, don’t quit until the end
The sky will protect your side
Your footsteps are heavy, make some noise
You sink down and let out a sigh
But one more time, one more try

Look to the sky confidently
Now is just the beginning
Open your shoulders
Inside of you is someone like you
Don’t give up on your future even if it’s hard
Stand up, hold my hand, take the world

Observe and feel
Even if we’re different, my friend
You’re not alone, stand up again."

I ended the song and he smiled. "Thanks a lot, Eun Mi."

"You're welcome." I went up to give him a hug. I whispered so the others couldn't hear. "I'll miss you, you know."

"I will too." He whispered back. "Promise you'll wait for me?"

"Of course."

He let go and his best friends L.Joe and Chan Doo came up to him and gave him a hug too.

"Changjo, you better come back and show us what you learned. If you play around to much, I might become a better dancer than you!" Chan Doo said jokingly.

"That won't happen!"

Chunji was dabbing his eyes with a tissue and sobbed. "This is so touching!"

Changbum patted his shoulder. "Now now, don't get all emotional. If you start, then Chan Doo will start bawling his eyes out too."

Which was true; Chan Doo was trying not to cry either. It just showed how close they were and how strong their friendship was. But it was kind of funny; the drama type of funny.

"Changjo, get in! The taxi driver doesn't have all day!" Sooyoung scolded.

"Arasseo!" Changjo said. He climbed into the taxi and closed the door. 

The car slowly drove out onto the road and Changjo stuck his head out the window, waving back. "Bye guys! See you soon!"

We all waved back to him. "Come back soon!"

The sun was setting as well, so the orange light blocked part of our sight. We all stood there until he drove out of sight. And Nobody said anything for a long time.

He was gone. He was really gone.