The Trip

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses
 
✻ chapter thirteen:
the trip
eun mi's pov
 
 
We were halfway to our destination when my stomach growled. 
 
"Where is that monstrous noise coming from?" Sooyoung cried.
 
I turned red. "It, uh, is coming from my stomach."
 
"Oh." Sooyoung chuckled. "Have you eaten lunch yet?"
 
I shook my head no. Then a brown paper bag landed in my lap. "Wha-?"
 
"I packed some food for myself but I'm not hungry. You can have it." L.Joe said from behind me. 
 
"Jinjja?" I exclaimed. 
 
"Just eat it."
 
I smiled and opened the bag. Inside was a container of rice and kimchi, still warm. There were chopsticks too. 
 
I peered at L.Joe by turning around and resting my head on top of the seat and looking down. "Thanks."
 
I think it was my imagination, but I think he blushed before turning away to look out the window. "You're welcome."
 
After I had finished my lunch in peace, Eunjung and Hyoyeon wanted to play 'Would You Rather'...
 
"Changbum, would you rather wear a pink tiger suit and dance in front of the entire school or 'Gangnam Style' in front of your elders?" 
 
"Definitely the tiger suit! My grandpa would take me to the mental hospital if I did the pelvic in front of him."
 
Everyone laughed and Changbum pointed at Changjo. "Would you rather be chased by a mob of fangirls or face the wrath of Sooyoung?"
 
"That's easy! I choose crazy fangirls! Sooyoung is a monster when she's mad. Once, I accidentally misplaced her heels somewhere in the house and I swear, she was out to get me."
 
Sooyoung wacked him with her fist as I laughed. "What did you just call me?"
 
"Nothing, nothing." He rubbed his head. "Okay, your turn Eun Mi!"
 
"No, I don't want to!" I waved my hands in front of me.
 
"You have too! Everyone's doing it! So, would you ra-"
 
The bus halted to a stop and everyone cried out in shock and lurched forward. I fell off the seat and landed on my . 
 
"We have arrived at Jinan." The bus driver calmly said.
 
"Ow..." I said, getting up and rubbing my bottom. At least I didn't have to answer whatever Changjo was going to ask me. "Remind me to bring a seat belt next time."
 
Everyone filed off the bus with their luggage. The bus had taken us to a reserved house set in a beautiful scenary. The house was traditional looking, with sliding paper doors and tiled roofs. The grass was lush and green, the cherry-blossom trees were in full bloom, and there was a mini pond with lilypads and a few koi fish. It was absolutely breathtaking.
 
"Wow!" Eunjung said, mesmerized. "The school really outdid themselves this year!"
 
The bus pulled away and we brought our stuff into the house. It was simple but cozy inside, with cream-colored walls and pale green curtains. 
 
"There are two rooms. One for the girls and one for the guys." Changjo said, pointing at the doors respectively.
 
The four boys headed into one of the rooms and the girls went into the other. I noticed L.Joe was really quiet all through the ride here. I shrugged and entered the room with everyone else. There were only two beds, so Eunjung and I volunteered to sleep on the floor. We claimed our spots and headed out into the main room.
 
"So, what are we going to do now?" I asked.
 
Sooyoung checked the time. "Considering the time it took to get here, it's around supper time."
 
"Let's play a game!" Changjo suggested. "But not just any game. The loser has to make the food!"
 
Chan Doo nodded. "Okay! Let's have a 'High Note Battle!"
 
Hyoyeon pouted. "But that's not fair! EunMi will definitely win!"
 
"She has to help go get the ingredients." Changjo said. "And she still has to play! I'm not going to let her sit out from any games, you know."
 
"Aw, you're so mean." I stuck my tongue out at him.
 
We took turns singing and going higher up the scale. We went around in a circle about 2 times when Chan Doo got out first, then Eunjung, Changbum, and Changjo.
 
"FAAAAAAAA~" 
 
"SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
 
"LAAA-Ack!!" Hyoyeon's voice cracked. She was out.
 
Sooyoung strained her voice and managed to croack out the next note. "TEEEEEE!"
 
"Do~" I sang the high note easily. Kekeke, my voice could handle this really well.
 
L.Joe was next. He raised his hands in defeat. "I surrender."
 
"Aw, come one! Give it a try! It's no fun if you quit just like that!"
 
He sighed and out came a scream higher than a little girl's. He coughed and everyone, including me, burst out laughing. 
 
L.Joe saw me laugh and turned red. "Hey, it's not that funny."
 
"Yes it is." I finished giggling.
 
"So, Chan Doo, Eungjung, and Changbum have to cook tonight's dinner! EunMi has to go with them and L.Joe will help out with the cooking when they get back." Changjo said, obviously rubbing it in the other's faces. 
 
"Mwuh?" L.Joe said in surprise. "I didn't lose!"
 

"But you're my slave for a week, remember?" Changjo teased. L.Joe 'hmmphed' and crossed his arms. "You guys better get going before it's dark!"

 

-- --

 

Our small group headed out to the nearest grocery store. We decided to make something simple and yummy so we chose dukboki, or Korean spicy rice cakes! We went around the store, searching for hot pepper chili paste, fish cake, garlic, and cabbage. 

Eunjung and Changbum went to pay for the food and we quickly made our way back to 'our' house. On the way, Eunjung and Changbum were talking to each other, so that left me and Chan Doo walking in the back.

"So, are you happy you went with us?" He asked.

I nodded. "You guys are fun to hang around. And definitely funny!"

I thought of a question that I had stored in my mind for quite a while. "Oh, and Chan Doo..."

"Yeah?"

"What's your relationship with L.Joe?"

"Well... we used to be friends." His smile slipped off his face and he looked ahead of him. "In elementary school we were best buddies. But when we got to middle school... he changed. He wasn't the L.Joe I knew anymore."

So that explained the picture in front of the 'Locks of Love'. My friend Seohyun had a friend (Chan Doo) who had a friend (L.Joe). "Wasn't that when he started to become a Kingka and was really popular?"

"Yeah. He told me it was something I didn't understand, that he needed to change. But I was his best friend. I knew why he changed and left me for the popular crowd." 

"Why?"

Chan Doo stopped walking. We were right in front of 'our' house now. Eunjung and Changbum headed inside, still talking about something and not noticing us. 

"He needed to become a Kingka... so you would notice him." 

"Mwuh?"

"EunMi-ah, he likes you. He has liked you ever since the first day of elementary school." Chan Doo looked at me seriously. "But you didn't notice him. He tried to talk to you, but you were always with Seohyun and he would get all nervous."

I was shocked. He must be kidding. "But what about now? He doesn't like me anymore, right?"

"What do you think is the reason for him to dress nicely everyday? For him to become a Kingka so everyone, including you, would know him? And the reason he made a bet with you?" Chan Doo said. "He's always wanted to comfort you after Seohyun was gone, but hanging out with a nerd would ruin his reputation as a Kingka."

Now that I think about it, why did he treat me to lunch the other day? Why did he help me when I got hurt? Why was he so worried about me? 

"Guys, are you coming or what?" Changbum called from the doorway.

"Coming!" Chan Doo looked back at me once more before going in.

I stood there, trying to understand what he just said to me... L.Joe liked me. I didn't know. He became a Kingka so I would like him. 

What?