The Salad

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

 
 
✻ chapter seven:
the salad
eun mi's pov
 

I woke up with an ache in my back. I had fallen asleep sitting up with my guitar still in my lap. I put on my glasses, which had fallen off during some point in the night, and checked the time, which said 4:00am. I had woken up an hour earlier than I needed to (I worked on Sundays too).

I placed my guitar back in my case, stood up, and stretched. I took a shower and changed into a pair of worn out jeans, an old light pink blouse, and a brown belt. This was probably the nicest outfit I owned.

With the free time I had left, I checked my blog. Black Angel has replied to your message!

 

Kekeke, I admit you are a genius. v(^_^v)♪
Her name is Park Eun Mi. She's really quiet but has the prettiest eyes I've ever seen. 

-Black Angel

P.S. We should chat sometime!



My eyes were pretty? I got up and looked at the mirror on my door. They were the dullest eyes I've ever seen. They looked dead to me. I sat back down again. Now I had a really hard time replying.

 

"Really? Is she that pretty? Don't people brag a lot about themselves if they look pretty?"

~SilverStar☆

P.S. We should! What time?

 

I pressed send and went to get ready for work. The morning at work started just like yesterday. But out of the blue, the three Queenkas of Namsan High entered the cafe during the busy hours of the morning. Everyone scrambled to get out of their path and they sat down at a table. Luna was busy waiting another table, so I had to wait on them. I sighed.

"Good morning, what would you like to have today?" I said, ever so enthusiastically.

The cafe went quiet, the other customers waiting for their glorious answer so they could order the same thing.

"We would like a salad." Yoona said.

"Okay, and what would you li- wait, what?"

"A salad." She said it again matter-of-factly. 

I shook my head in amazement. "This is a bakery, not a restaurant. We don't serve salads."

Jessica smirked. "What, so you can't give us a salad? You snotty brat."

I rolled my eyes. "Like I said, we don't serve salads. We have coffee, other beverages, and sweets."

"I can't believe this. Those types of foods will ruin our diet! Let's leave this garbage dump." Yuri stood up. "Why are we here anyways?" They left and the shop erupted into whispers.

"Why couldn't she give her a salad?"

"Wow, why does she have to act like that?"

"I hate her."

"Let's go. If the Queenkas don't like this place or that girl, then we shouldn't either."

Everyone glared at me as they went out. I scoffed at them. I couldn't believe they came here to do this.

"What just happened?" Grandma Kim came out of the kitchen with a ladle in her hand and the other on her hip. "Why did the customers leave?"

"It's all my fault. I'm sorry." I bowed my head down in shame. "I'm sorry. If you're going to fire me, I'll leave right now. I don't want your business to be harmed because of me." Which was a pity, because I really needed this job.

Luna tried to defend me. "It wasn't her fault! Several of the customers raised a ruckus."

Grandma Kim narrowed her eyes. "I don't know what exactly happened, but you're not going anywhere, Eun Mi. That would just mean those customers would win, right?"

"Huh? Oh... um, yeah."

"Now, go on. Back to work, in case someone comes in."

"Thank you, Grandma Kim."

For the rest of the morning, only one or two people entered the shop. I felt really bad for being the cause of this. "It's not your fault." Luna told me over and over. Grandma Kim laughed it off, but I could hear the uneasiness in her laugh. "My customers will be back before you know it. They can't resist my coffee and cakes!"

After work ended I went back home. I was really ticked off about the Queenkas and their unreasonable grudge. I got to my apartment and saw Sooyoung waiting for me. All the bad thoughts were thrown out the window.

"Sooyoung, what are you doing here?"

"I want to help you with your performance! Can I listen to you sing something?"

She looked eager and excited, like a puppy, so I couldn't say no. "Alright. You can tell me where I need to improve."

I let her into my apartment and we went to my room, where my boxes were still strewn across the floor. "Sorry if it's cramped and dirty. Just ignore it when you're here. And you can laugh when I sing. I know I ."

Sooyoung looked out of place in my drab room, with her perfect curly hair, loose purple top, and gray skinny jeans. "I won't laugh."

We sat on my bed and I lifted my guitar out of it's case and into my lap. I picked up my guitar pick and started playing. For some reason, I didn't feel nervous in front of her.

Once I finished playing, I looked over at Sooyoung to see her eyes shining. "Wow, daebak! I never knew you were this awesome!"

I blushed. Her reaction was exactly like Seohyun's when she first heard me. "Thanks."

"You have nothing to worry about! You just need to practice vocal exercises everyday and you will own this competition!"

After gushing on and on about how I was going to win, Sooyoung went home and I was left with nothing to do. I made myself comfortable on the floor and opened one of the boxes. I randomly took out a black drawstring bag. I tugged on the strings and two bracelets fell in my lap.

They were beaded couple bracelets. One was white with a black heart charm and the other was black with a white heart charm. Even though we weren't a couple, Seohyun and I used to wear these everyday because we thought they were cute.

Thinking about giving them away to somebody, I placed them on my bedside table. I dug through the rest of the box and found other small trinkets Seohyun and I use to share: notebooks, doodle pens, headbands, rings, all that stuff. I put them all back into the box and moved onto the next one. This one held thick black albums of photos.

I skimmed through each one. All of the pages were filled with memories and past dreams. There was a whole album about Seohyun singing. Her eyes sparkled in every picture. There was also a small album about me, too.

I sat there flipping through the pages and remembering how much fun I had back then. I held up a photo of us at the beach. It was the first time I saw the ocean and it was beautiful.

A teardrop landed on the photo. I wiped my eyes and put all the photos back in the boxes. I pushed them back into the closet and picked up a picture that had fallen out. It was of Seohyun, me, and two other guys. I think it was taken on our 4th grade field trip to Namsan Tower, in front of the fence where couples put locks. I pushed my glasses firmly on my nose and looked closer. One boy had long black hair that brushed over his eyes. The other boy had black hair as well, but was a bit shorter and had a pair of headphones on.

Was that Chan Doo? I don't remember knowing him in fourth grade... And who was that other boy? He seemed really familiar. I put the photo on my bedside table as well and decided to check my blog/inbox.



Black Angel has replied!

In my opinion, Eun Mi is prettier than the Queenkas at my school. But she doesn't realize it.
And its so weird how we're online at different times... How about at 12:30pm today?

-Black Angel



Me? Prettier than the Queenkas? You must be joking. Changjo was spouting nonsense this time.

I looked at the clock. It was 12:24pm. I logged into a chat-box and waited for him to log on. I wondered about what we were going to talk about? A notification popped up on my screen. I clicked on it.

 

BlackAngel has requested to Video Chat with you. Accept or Ignore?

 

I panicked. I thought he said he wanted to chat, as in typing, not as in face-to-face webcam chat. He would know SilverStar was me! I didn't know what to do. If I ignored, he would ask me why and it would be really awkward. If I accepted, he would know who I am and it would be even more awkward. What am I supposed to do?


Unknowingly, my hand moved on its own and clicked Accept.

 


▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
 

✻ author's note the dorky me
I REGRET NOTHING.
~Ljjang창조♪