The Words

Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses

 

✻ chapter thirtyeight:
the words
eun mi's pov
 

I felt L.Joe slip something cold into my hands before letting me out of the hug. I looked down at what he had given me; it was a necklace in the shape of a heart.

Suddenly, a searing pain shot through my head. I winced and my hand went up to my head. Shutting my eyes closed, I stumbled and lost my footing. Memories began to flood my mind. 

I saw an image of myself opening my locker at school and finding the necklace in a box. The hand that held mine on the talent show stage. The fingers that played a sweet melody on the violin. The eyes that always showed concern for me and the voice that whispered comforting words in my ear. The cute smile that would form whenever I would do aegyo. The arms that held me warmly in Jinan.

"Eun Mi?" I felt a pair of hands steady me. I opened my eyes and saw a blonde boy holding onto me. It was the same face I had thought was a jerk from a long time ago. 

"Buttface L.Joe?"

His eyes widened and he pulled me into a tight hug. "Eun Mi! Y-You remember me?"

I breathed in the smell of L.Joe. It was familiar and welcoming. "I remember you, L.Joe. I remember."

He let out a sigh of relief. "Do you know how worried and devastated I was when you said you didn't know me? I felt like you had slapped me in the face."

"I'm sorry..."

"You're not playing with me, right? You really do remember me?"

"Yes, I'm serious." I smiled at him once he let go to face me. He was the one I had fallen for, not anyone else. "I'm sorry, I wished I remembered sooner!"

"I'm just.... I'm so happy! I thought you would forget me and things would never be the same again." He whispered in my ear, not letting me go. 

How could I forget someone as caring, cute, and loving as him? I whispered back into his ear. "I love you. I wold never forget you."

L.Joe squeezed me even tighter and I closed my eyes, smiling.

"I love you too."

 

-- ♥ --

 

"I can't believe the first thing you thought of was 'Buttface L.Joe!" Sooyoung laughed.

"I know! It came to my mind first!" I giggled with her.

I was in the park with Teen Top, Sooyoung, and of course L.Joe. We were supposedly 'celebrating' because my memories returned. Sitting on a picnic blanket and eating lunch, we were just talking and having fun.

I caught L.Joe's eye and smiled. "I'm just glad I remember him."

Changjo, who was sitting on the other side of me, let out a sigh. "Too bad. Those four days where you thought I was your boyfriend were the best days of my life."

L.Joe gave him a glare and the red-and-black haired boy responded with a toothy grin. I let out a laugh and L.Joe's gaze softened.  

"I'm kidding. I'm happy you guys are back together again, like you should be." Changjo said genuinely. 

I smiled and my blonde boyfriend placed a kiss on my forehead. Ricky and Niel, sitting across from us, pointed at us and childishly exclaimed, "C.A.P. hyung, they're being all mushy and lovey dovey! It's creepy!"

"Honestly, how do I live with these kids?" L.Joe muttered under his breath, rolling his eyes. Then he turned to the long-haird brunette. "Ya, Niel! How can you be popular with the girls and act this way?"

"I'm only interested in noonas!" He replied, sticking his tongue out. "And noona's love me, unlike you!"

"Ya!" We all laughed as L.Joe crossed his arms, fuming.

We spent the rest of our time dancing, cracking jokes, and having fun before leaving the sunny park. What did we do, you ask? A dance battle:

 

      

      

      

 

Okay, not really a dance battle.... but anyways, we were only our way home, laughing and smiling at how idiotic they all were.

Chunji, who had been quiet all throughout our little picnic, suddenly tapped L.Joe on the shoulder. "Hey, don't you feel something weird?"

He looked back at his hyung, puzzled. "What do you mean, Chunji?"

"Well, there's this feeling where I feel like I'm being watched."
 
Everyone grew quiet and Chunji's words. I looked around us, spinning around 360 degrees, and something did seem a bit strange. We were the only ones on this road and everything was silent. 
 
Ricky nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I feel that too!"
 
"The feeling as though someone was behind you, watching your every move." Chunji continued. "I don't feel safe..."
 
Niel snapped his fingers. "Now that you mentioned it, a few days ago I was walking home with C.A.P. hyung. And I think someone was following us."
 
"That's right!" The eldest said. "It was weird. We kept looking over our shoulder, but no one was there."
 
I glanced nervously at Sooyoung, who just shrugged. This conversation was getting creepier by the minute. Suddenly, I heard a faint 'click' coming from behind me. I swiveled around and scanned the deserted road behind us. Nothing.
 
Were we being stalked?
 
"Are you okay, Eun Mi?" L.Joe said. I nodded and slowly turned back.
 
Changjo finally said something. "Let's just get out of here, quick." 
 
We all nodded and began walking, the atmosphere turning tense. But then out of nowhere Chunji shouted. "Guys, run!"
 
"Wha-?"
 
Without any hesitation, L.Joe grabbed my hand and pulled me forward. To my left and to my right, Sooyoung and Changjo were running away as well. I looked behind us, my ponytail bouncing up and down. There were multiple men, in shiny black suits and black sunglasses, running after us.
 
"What the heck?" I said, breathing heavily. I was developing a cramp in my side from running so fast. "L.Joe, slow down...!"
 
He looked back at me worriedly but didn't stop. We turned a corner and then crashed into the others, who had stopped in front of us. L.Joe finally let go of my crushed hand and I tried to catch my breath. 
 
There were men in black suits everywhere, surrounding us. I hid behind L.Joe and gulped. What in the world of kimchi was going on?!