Finding Lost Time

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
A/N: did you got scared that Kit will die? Hmmm... read on to find out :) don't forget to leave comments and violent reactions. thanks :)

--

The little girl happily played around the park. She held her arms up as she ran, pretending she is a bird. As she is running around, she bumped into someone, making her fall on the ground. She looked up and saw three big boys smirking at her. The one at the center was laughing at her. “Stupid kid...” he said. As she stood up, the boy walked towards her, and then pushed her on the ground again. Then, the bou began to pull her pigtails. “No!” she shouted She was trying to fight him back, but he was too strong for her. The boy pushed her, making her fall on the ground. “Look at her, she's so ugly.” one of his friends commented. The other two just snickered at her. As she fell on the ground, she didn't notice that most of the candies inside her pocket have fallen out. “Oh, look... the ugly girl have some treats for us.” he said. She looked at the ground, and saw that her favorite lollipop was lying on the ground. She began to move to take it, but they bullies were faster than her. They were able to get her lollipop before she could make a move. She looked up at them, almost crying, but the bullies just laughed at them. “Ha ha! Thanks for the candy, loser!” they said as they ran away from her.

She stood up from the ground, and slowly made her way to the swing, where her teddy bear, QQ, was sitting. She took the teddy bear, and clutched it in her arms. At least the bullies were not able to get her favorite toy. She sat on the swing, then she began to cry silently. As she was crying, she saw someone hand her a handkerchief. She looked up, and he saw a boy smiling at her. She have not seen this boy in their neighborhood before, and she thought this might be the son of the couple who moved back into the house next to theirs. “Why are you crying?” the boy asked. She just looked down, and continued to cry. “They... they took my... my lollipop...” she said in between sobs. The boy gave her a confused look. “Who?” he asked. “Those.. those bullies...” she said. Then, she looked up at him. “They... they even... pulled... my pigtails...” she said. The boy was angered by what she said. He could not bear seeing anyone being bullied, and so, he swore to himself that no matter what happens, he will protect this little girl from them. He sat beside her, and then, he put his arm around her, and smiled. “Dont worry, I'll protect you from them.” he said.

Just then, the three bullies came back. The boy stood up from her seat, and blocked the girl from them. “What do you want from her? Have you had enough? Isn't it enough that you made her cry?” he shouted at them. Their leader just smirked at him. “What is it to you? Are you her bodyguard or what?” the biggest among them asked. “I am her bodyguard. And as long as I'm with her, nobody can hurt her.” he shouted. The biggest boy looked at his sidekicks, and then smirked at the boy. “Let's see about that.” he said. The bully walked towards him, and as he was about to throw a punch at him, the boy was able to avoid his punch. In return, the boy punch the bully in his stomach. His punch was so hard that the bully fell down on the ground. “You had enough now?” the boy asked. The bullies looked at him with fear. The bully whom the boy punch immediately stood up, and ran away from him. The boy smiled to himself, and as he looked back at the little girl, he saw her smiling at him. “Thank you...” she said. “Can we be friends now?” he asked. He extended his hand to her, and smiled. “I'm Calvin Chen. And you are...” he asked. The girl took his hand, and looked up at him. “I'm Katherine Jin. But you can call me Kate.” she said. “Nice meeting you, Kit.” he said. She looked at him and gave him a pout. “It's Kate, not Kit.” she said. “OK, Kit.” he said. Instead of getting mad of him for mispronouncing her nickname, she laughed at him. “Fine, I'll let you call me Kit.” she said. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. “Nice meeting you, Kit. I hope we can be best of friends.” he said. Kit smiled and nodded her head.

The two headed back home. Kit was surprised to see that Calvin was indeed their new neighbor. “Wow! This is great! Not only we are best of friends, we're also neighbors!” she said. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. “Hey, is your room the pink one?” he asked. Kit nodded her head. “Wow... my room is just in front of your room.” he said. Kit's eyes widened at what he said. “Really? Then, that's great! We can talk over the window, right?” she asked. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. Just then, Calvin's mom called him. Calvin looked at her, then held her hand. “Come on, I'll introduce you to my mom.” he said. Then, he pulled her to their house, and introduced Kit to his mom, dad, and elder brother. His mom was happy to know that her son was able to make friends soon.

“Calvin, thank you for today.” she said as soon as his family got inside their new house. Then, she handed him her teddy bear. “I'm giving you this, to thank you. Take care of QQ, as she's my favorite, OK?” she said. Calvin looked up at her, and smiled. “You're giving this to me?” he asked. She smiled and nodded her head. “Thank you, Kit. Don't worry, I'll take care of QQ.” he promised. “Thanks, Calvin. I'll see you tomorrow outside your house, OK? Let's go and play at the park again tomorrow afternoon.” she said. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. He watched his new friend as she walked towards their house. Then, Kit paused, and looked back at him. She waved goodbye to him before she got inside their house.

--

Memories of how they first met flashed back through Calvin's mind as he rushed Kit inside the Operating room. He held her hand tight, his eyes filled with tears as he looked at her. He could see her getting weaker and weaker by each second. “Hold on, Kit... hold on...” he said to her. As they reached the door of the operating room, he have to let go of Kit's hand. He attempted to get inside, but one of the doctors stopped him. “I'm sorry, but you are not allowed to get inside.” the doctor said. “But Doc... my friend...” he said. The doctor smiled at him, and patted his shoulder. “She's in good hands. Don't worry, we'll do our best to save her.” he said. Then, the doctor went inside the room.

He remained standing in front of the door, as if he is in a daze. Just then, Danson came, and put his arm around him to comfort him. “She'll be OK... you don't have to worry, Cal... Kit's a strong girl. She'll hold on... she'll be fine...” he said. Calvin just slowly nodded his head. Knowing that Calvin is still in a state of shock, Danson led him to seat on the chair, as they waited for the doctors to go out of the room and tell them of Kit's condition. Soon after, Kit's parents and his parents came. He looked up at her mom, and he saw her in tears. “What happened?” Mr. Jin asked. Calvin opened his mouth to speak, but words got stuck in his throat. Each time he attempted to speak, tears fall from his eyes. Danson looked at Calvin worriedly, then, he faced Kit's parents. He explained what happened to their daughter, how Trixie attempted to kill Calvin, and how Kit saved Calvin's life by blocking him from the bullet that was meant for him. “It's all my fault...” Calvin finally said. “I... I could have saved her... but... but...” he paused as the tears began to fall from his eyes again. Mrs. Jin sat beside him, and comforted him. Both of them were now crying. “It's not your fault, Calvin. It's all that Trixie's fault! She wanted to kill you, and my daughter was only trying to save you.” she said. Calvin buried his face on his palm and sobbed. “No... you don't understand, Auntie...” he said. Then, he looked up and faced Mrs. Jin. “I caused her this... all the pain... It's my fault that... that she's dying...” he said. He looked at his father, and for the first time, he saw him in tears. Mr. Jin clenched his fist, and as he turned his back, he punched the wall before him. “I swear... even if that Trixie came from a very rich family... I swear she will pay for what she have done for my daughter...” he said. Mr. Chen walked towards Mr. Jin, and then rubbed his back to calm him down.

After a while, Chun, Jiro and Joy came rushing up to them. “We came as soon as we heard.” Chun said as they got near them. “Mike surrendered Trixie to the police, and are now investigating her.” he continued. Mr. Jin looked up at Chun, then back at Calvin's parents. “I know I should be here for my daughter, but I think it would be for the best if I go to the police first to file a case against her.” he said. Mr. Chen nodded his head. “I'll go with you, Tony.” he said. Mrs. Chen gave a faint smile at the two elder man. “I'll stay here with Joanne and Calvin's friends. Don't worry, Tony, we'll let you know whatever it is that's happening with Kit. All that you have to do is file the case against that murderer.” she said.

After a while, the doctor came out of the operating room. Mrs. Jin, Mrs. Chen and Calvin immediately stood up from their seats, and walked up to the doctor “Doc, what happened? How is she?” he asked. The doctor pulled his mask, and then looked at him. “She lost a lot of blood, and she needs a blood transfusion now. We can't continue with the operation if she'll lose a lot of blood.” he said. Jiro heard what the doctor said, so he stood up from his seat and walked towards them. “I... I volunteer... I'm willing to give my blood... just save our friend, doctor.” he said. Calvin glared at him upon hearing what he said. “Why are you always getting in my way, Jiro? And how can you be sure that you have the same blood type as Kit?” he told him. Jiro looked at him. He sighed, and then shook his head. “I know me and Kit have the same blood type. At least if I give her my blood, I could repay Kit for saving me ten years ago. Don't tell me that you wouldn't want me to help Kit? You want her to be saved as well, right?” Jiro snapped back at him. Calvin sighed, and ignored his remark. He turned to the doctor. “I... I have the same blood type as Kit. I'm willing to give my blood as well.” he said. The doctor smiled, and then nodded his head. “It's good that the two of you volunteered to donate blood. She have lost a lot of blood, and we need the two of you...” the doctor said.

--

It has been two hours and they are still waiting for the doctor to come out of the OR. Everyone could see the worried look on Calvin's face as he was praying hard for Kit's recovery.”Calvin...” Joy said as she sat beside him. Calvin looked at her blankly, then turned away from him. “Kit's going to be all right...” he heard her say. “Why are you saying this now...” he said. Then, he glared at her. “You don't have to pretend that you care about Kit. I know how much you hate her.” he snapped at her. “I care for Kit. She's also my friend...” Joy said in a low voice. Calvin let out a faint laugh, and then glared at her again. “Friend? You consider yourself Kit's friend?” he asked. He stood up from his seat, and then looked down at her. “How can you consider yourself as her friend, if you are the reason for her heartbreak?! Are you happy now that she might be gone? Are you happy now that in some way, you had your revenge on her? Are you that she have suffered the most painful thing in the world?” Calvin shouted at them. Danson, Chun and Jiro could see the commotion between the two. The three stood up from their seats, and then went up to Calvin and Joy. “Stop it, Calvin...” Danson told him as he pulled him away from Joy. “Are you happy now that Kit is dying now, huh?! Now, no one can get in your way when it comes to Jiro!” he shouted at her. Joy was crying hard as Calvin shouts at her. Jiro was by her side, consoling her. “I didn't want her to die...” Joy said in between sobs. Then, she looked up at him with tears on her eyes. “I admit, I hated her... I hate her for breaking my heart. I hated her for taking away Jiro from me, and for falling in love with you... but this is not what I wanted, Calvin. I didn't want this to happen to her...” she said. She stood up from her seat, and tried to reach for Calvin. As she reached for him, Calvin slapped her hand away from him. “I don't need you, Joy. I don't need your pity right now.” he said. Jiro consoled Joy as she cried, then he glared at Calvin. “Why are you blaming Joy for everything? This wouldn't have happened to Kit if it wasn't your fault! You've done something in the past to Trixie, that's why she attempted to kill you, you bastard! You should be the one who should have been shot in the head, and not Kit! It's all your fault, Calvin. All your fault!” Jiro shouted at him.

Angered by what he said, Calvin moved towards him, and punched him in the face. Jiro lost his balance, and fell on the floor. Joy came to him, and helped him to stand up. “It was not me who cheated her with his ex-girlfriend, Jiro!” Calvin shouted at him. Jiro looked at him angrily, and the walked towards him. Before he could come closer to Calvin, Chun already got in his way to stop them from further hurting each other. “Stop it, guys! You're not helping out if you'll act this way!” he shouted at the two. “I was not the one who ended our friendship just because of a stupid paper crane, Calvin! Why can't you forgive her for all the things she have done?! She loves you and in the end, she chose you over it, Goddamn it!” Jiro shouted back at him. Calvin paused, and then stared at Jiro. His expression softened as the tears fall from his eyes. “You're right... it's all my fault...” he said in a low voice. “I had my chance to tell her how I feel. I had my chance... but God took it away from me in a second...”

Just then, the door of the operating room opened, and the doctor came out. All of them looked at the doctor as he approached them. He took off his mask, and Calvin could see the loneliness in his eyes. “We did our best...” he began. All of them became silent at what the doctor said. Mrs. Jin began to sob, as well as Calvin's mother. “Her body was getting weaker, and as we took the bullet off her head, her body gave up. I'm sorry... but she... she's gone...” the doctor continued.. Calvin shook his head violently. He doesn't want to believe what the doctor said. “You're lying...” he said in a low voice. “You said she's going to be all right after the blood transfusion. You said you will save her. She can't die...” he said. The doctor lowered his head. “I'm really sorry. We really tried to save your friend.” he said. He turned his back to retreat back to the operating room, but Calvin stopped him. He pulled the doctor to face him again. “Save her! You can still save her! It's not yet too late... maybe... maybe you were wrong... maybe she's still alive!” he said to the doctor as he cried. “Please, doctor... save her... save Kit. I can't lose her....” he pleaded again. The doctor shook his head. “I'm really sorry...” the doctor said. Calvin paused, and looked at him. “You're lying...” he said in a low voice. He held the doctor by his collar, and glared at him. Danson immediately came up to him to stop him. “Cal... stop this... we have to accept that Kit is gone!” he said. “You're lying! What kind of a doctor are you? Why can;t you save the girl I love?! Go back to that room and do your job! Retrieve her, it's your job, goddamn it!” Calvin shouted at him. Chun helped Danson to pull Calvin away from the doctor. “Stop it, Cal! That won't bring Kit back to life!” Chun told him. He was also crying because of the doctor's news. Calvin let go of the doctor, and before he turn his back to leave, he let out a sad smile at him. “God knows, I did my best to save her... but God have better plans for her. I save lives, but I also have my limitations. I'm if I failed you...” he said before he left.

Calvin fell on his knees as he broke down. He could not accept that Kit is already gone. He felt that more than half of his body became paralyzed at her loss. “No...” he said as he cried. “Why did you leave me, Kit? Why? I have a lot of things to tell you.. to let you know...” he said. He wiped the tear from his eyes, then he stood up. He looked at his friends, and he could see that they were crying as well. “This is just a dream. We'll soon wake up from this dream. Tell me that this is just a dream.” he said. He looked at Joy, and saw her shake her head. “No... this is reality, Cal... Kit... she... she left us...” she said. Calvin shook his head. “No... it's not true... We'll soon wake up from this nightmare. Kit is still with us...” he said. Chun pulled Calvin to face him. He put his hands on his shoulder, and shook him. “Calvin! You have to accept the fact that she is gone. The doctor did their best to save her!” Chun shouted at him. Calvin clenched his fist as he glared at him. Then, he threw a strong punch at him. Danson immediately came up to Calvin, and punched him the face, making him fall on the floor. “God damn it, Cal! Hurting us won't bring Kit back to life! You're not the only one who's grieving here! All of us does! We also lost a friend, Calvin... not just you. We also lost Kit... but we have to accept this. She's gone forever!” Danson shouted at him. Everyone fell silent, all eyes were on Calvin. He stood up from the floor, and then looked at the door of the operating room. “No. I could never accept that.” he said. Then, he began to run towards the operating room. Before anyone could stop him, he have already gone inside.

--

He entered the operating room, and he looked at the machine beside Kit. It has flat lines on it. “What are you doing here? You are not allowed inside this room!” One of the nurses said. Before the nurse could push Calvin out, the doctor stopped the nurse. “Let him be...” he said. Calvin was in a daze as he walked towards Kit's lifeless body. “We did our best...” the doctor said. Calvin looked at him sadly and nodded his head. As he reached her bedside, he knelt down, and held her hand. A tear fell from his eyes as she watched her face. “Why? Why did you have to leave me so soon? Why didn't you give me the chance to let you know how I feel inside. I have a lot of things to tell you, Kit... you can't die yet, Kit... not now. I haven't even told you that I love you... that I loved you since the very first day I met you. I haven't said I'm sorry for being the first one to break our promise. Why did you leave me, without letting you fell what I really feel for you? Please come back, Kit... come back for me...” he said. He buried his head on her hand, and then cried for a while. After a while, he heard a beeping sound from the machine. He looked up at Kit, and saw a tear fall from her eyes. He looked at her hand which he was holding, and then saw it moved. The doctor was surprised to see that the flat line on the machine suddenly went up. “She.. she's still alive.” he said. The doctor called on the nurses, and then they tried to resuscitate Kit.

As the nurses did their best to bring Kit back to life, Calvin stepped back and smiled. “Kit.. you heard me. Hold on... don't give up. I'll be waiting for you... don't give up on us...” he said in a low voice. The doctor looked back at Calvin, then he walked towards him. He smiled at him, as he patted hi shoulder. “I don't know what you did, but this is indeed a miracle. Maybe God have better plans for your friend, son. Don't worry, this time, we'll do our best to save her.” the doctor said. Calvin smiled at him and nodded his head. As he turn his back to leave the operating room, the doctor called on him again. “Son, I want to know... is she a special girl to you?” the doctor asked. Calvin looked back and smiled faintly. He shook his head, and said. “No... she's the other half of me.”

--

“We were able to retrieve the bullet from her head. We can say that the operation is successful. However, based on some tests, we're seeing some blood clots in some parts of her brain, and I'm afraid this would complicate her recovery.” The doctor explained to them as soon as Kit was placed on the ICU. Calvin was listening to the doctor as he was watching Kit from the window. “What complications?” Mr. Jin asked. “I'm afraid she will be in a coma indefinitely. The next 72 hours would be critical to her. As long as her body is responding to the medications after 72 hours, she would be safe.” the doctor explained. “Will... will our daughter wake up? After 72 hours?” Mrs. Jin asked. The doctor paused. When Calvin did not hear an answer from the doctor, he looked at him. He saw him shake his head. “As I've said, she'll be in a coma indefinitely. Maybe she will be able to wake up soon. As long as the clot has not been dissolved, she would not wake up. But after she wakes up, you have to ready yourself for a lot of possibilities.” he explained. “What possibilities?” Mrs. Jin asked again. “There's a possibility of amnesia. There's a possibility that she would not be normal again, and become paralyzed and a vegetable. There's also a possibility that she...” The doctor paused, and looked at Calvin. “There's a possibility that she will die eventually...”

Calvin turned his eyes away from the doctor, and continued to watch Kit. He heard Mrs. Jin crying, and Mr. Jin was consoling her. He looked closely at Kit, and he felt pity at her. Her head was bandaged, and there was a tube on . There were a lot of machines that were connected to her body, a lot of tubes on her body. It seems to him that Kit's life now depends on these machines. “Wake up, Kit... Wake up... I can't lose you. You're a strong girl, remember? Prove to me, to us, to these doctors that you don't need those machines to make you live. You don't need that respirator to help you breathe. Kit... please...” he said in a low voice. He closed his eyes as he leaned on the glad. “I can live if you had amnesia. I will help you bring back those memories we had. We can also make new good memories. I can live if you become paralyze or become a vegetable, I assure you that I will take care of you until we grow old. Just... just don't die, Kit... don't leave me. I can't lose you...”

He felt someone stand beside him. He looked at his side, and saw Chun. “She's a brave girl. A really brave girl.” Chun said. Calvin just nodded his head. Then, he continued to watch Kit. “I can't bear to see her like this. It's breaking my heart...” he said in a low voice. “Kit came back for you... I know.” Chun said. “I'm scared...” Chun looked at Calvin, his friend did not take his eyes off Kit. “The doctor... they said... she... she might eventually die. I'm too scared to lose her...”
“She was scared to lose you too, Calvin.”
Calvin paused, then he looked at Chun. “Reason why she hid the truth about being your paper crane girl. I know deep in her heart, she wanted to tell you... but she was also scared that if you found out, you have to end your friendship.” he said. “If I knew it was her back then, I would still accept her.” Calvin said. Chun smiled at Calvin, then looked at Kit. “I knew back then that you are in love with Kit. Remember when we were still in middle school up until we're in high school? Every Valentine's day, she would make chocolates for me. She have a huge crush on me, and you were so jealous. So, you would ask me and threaten me not to take her chocolates. So, every Valentine's day, I would ignore her so that you could have her chocolates.” Chun said. Calvin smiled faintly as he remembered those days. “I know... and on our last year in high school, she was so determined to give you her chocolates because she know once we graduate, she will never have the chance to give you those chocolates. But a day before, I asked you that favor again...” Calvin said. Chun smiled and nodded his head. “I got this chocolates from Ella Chen, but she was asking me to give it to Toma-chan. Kit saw us, and she thought that I was accepting Ella's feelings. She told me that she's happy for me and Ella...” As chun remembered how Kit looked like then, he laughed. “She was so sad that day... she had no choice but to give me her chocolates. I ate it all... I never accepted any chocolates from my admirers because...”
“Because you could not accept their feelings. Because you only had your eyes on Kit.”

Calvin looked at Chun, and slowly nodded his head. “Everyone thought the two of you would end up together, but you decided to stick with your promise..” Chun said. “Because I thought she stick to hers... if I knew right then that she loves me, I shouldn't have made that deal with her...” Calvin said. “Every Valentine's day, you would ask your sidekick, Eric Li, to buy you peach roses outside the school. Every Valentine's day, you would leave those peach roses by her locker with the note saying it came from her knight in shining armor...” Upon hearing what Chun said, the smile on Calvin's face slowly disappeared. “But this time, I did not became her knight in shining armor...” he said. “I used to save her, to protect her. But this time, she chose to save me...”
“Because she knows that if she loses you forever, it's as good as she dying with you. She sacrificed herself for you... because she loves you too much.”
“And I was not even able to reciprocate that love. I did not even had the chance to tell her that I love her...”
Chun looked at him, and then put his arm around him. “You now have your chance, Calvin. She may not be awake, but she could hear what you are saying to her. She could feel what you want her to feel. Don't lose this opportunity, Calvin.”

--

“Auntie Jin...” Calvin said as he opened the door of Kit's room. He looked inside, and saw Mrs. Jin preparing Kit's clothes. “Oh, you're here, Calvin...” Mrs. Jin said. She put the clothes she's holding inside the bag. “Kit hates hospital gowns. Maybe we could ask them if dress Kit in her favorite pajamas...” she said. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. He entered the room, and then sat on her bed. He looked around, and saw that her room is stripped off with their memories together. “A few days back, Kit came home, and decided to put everything away. She put all of your pictures and all the things you gave her in a box, and hid it inside her closet. Maybe it's her way of letting you go...” Mrs. Jin said. Calvin looked up at her, and then she sat beside Calvin. “I don't know what happened to the two of you. Every night, I would hear her cry. During the time she skipped school for a week, she didn't want to go out of her room, and just cried all night. I thought she would get worse when she and Jay broke up, but I was glad to see that she was much stronger that time...” The elder woman looked at him, and then smiled. “She loves you very much, Calvin. Whenever the two of you fought, she would cry herself to sleep. I hope that whatever it is that she have done to you, you have forgiven her.” she said. “I was at fault, Auntie. I've hurt her a lot of times...” he said in a low voice.

Mrs.. Jin stood up, and then went to Kit's closet. She took a small wooden box, and then gave it to Calvin. “I believe she puts all of your memories together in this box. I'm giving this to you, so that you would understand how much my daughter have valued your friendship. You are very important to Kit, Calvin... more important than Jay. Maybe after you have taken a look inside this box, you would know how much Katherine loves you.” Calvin took the box from the elder woman. He looked at her as she left the room. As soon as he is alone, he opened the box, and the very first thing he saw was their picture which was taken during their high school graduation. He could feel the tears falling from his eyes as he looked at that picture. Kit was smiling brightly that time, as he hugged her. At one corner, he saw their friendship bracelet, which he gave to her on that summer that he was not able to go with her at the resort.

[Flashback]
“I want to give you this before I leave...” Calvin said. Then, he held up a blue friendship bracelet. Kit's eyes widened as she saw that. “Wow! That's the friendship bracelet we made in our Home Economics class?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “You gave me yours, so I'm giving this to you. Sorry it took me so long to get this... I have to hide these from the other girls.” he explained. Kit laughed at him.

Kit extended her hand to him, and then Calvin put the friendship bracelet on her wrist. “Don't ever lose this OK? If you lose this, you have to find me a blue shell.” he said. “Of course I won't lose this!” Kit said. “I don't trust you. You tend to lose a lot of things. Remember the whistle I gave you during scouting days? You lost it.” he said. Kit put her hands on her waist and glared at him. “I did not!” she shouted at him. Calvin folded his arm and smirked at her. “Then, where is it?” he asked. Kit just stared at him, not answering his question. “It... It's somewhere... in my room.” she said. Calvin just laughed at his best friend. “OK... I believe you when you said it's in your room. Just promise me you won't lose this bracelet, OK?” he said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Will you promise to call me once you're already at the resort?” he asked. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Promise me you'll call me once you're there at your grandma's, OK?” she said. Calvin nodded his head. He said his goodbye to his best friend and ran back inside their house.

[End of flashback]

Calvin put the friendship bracelet back inside the box. Then, he smiled as he saw the whistle that he gave her during their scouting days. He have always thought that Kit have lost it. It was important to him, because he used that whistle when it was his first time to become a patrol leader. He could still clearly remember the day he gave her the whistle.

[Flashback]

“Kit?” Calvin said as he approached Kit, who was standing beside her tent. “I don't want to go hiking! You know I'm bad with directions!” she protested. Calvin just laughed at her. “Wei, you're in my patrol! I won't let you get lost.” he said. Kit pouted as she folded her arms. “I just don't trust myself...” she said. She lowered her head, and then stared at the ground. Calvin smiled, and then he took his whistle from his pocket. He took Kit's hands, and then gave the whistle to her. Kit looked at the whistle, and then he gave Calvin a confused look. “Wei? Why are you giving this to me?” she asked. “You need it more that I need it. Besides, I can ask Teacher to give me another whistle.”
“But why are you giving your whistle to me?”
Calvin smiled at her. “If you feel you got lost, or you're in danger, use that whistle to call me. Wherever I am, I will be able to hear you... and I promise I'll come to you.” he said. Kit smiled at Calvin, and then gave him a hug. “Thanks, Calvin!” she said. “You're the bestest bet friend in the whole wide world!”

[End of Flashback]

Calvin wiped the tear from his eyes as he put the whistle inside the box. He looked inside the box again, and he saw the button that Kit took from his uniform on their high school graduation.

[Flashback]

“Congratulations!” Kit said as he hugged Calvin. “Uh... Kit... I can't breathe!” Calvin said. Kit let him go, and then laughed at him. “Wei, now that we're in college, you can separate yourself from me. I promise I won't be a pain in your anymore.” she said. Calvin laughed at her. “Wei! I still want you to be my biggest headache that's why I decided to enroll in the same school that you'll be studying.” he said. Kit put her hands on her waist, and then glared at him. “Wei! Calvin Chen! Have we talked about this a thousand times? It's going to be National Taiwan University for you, not St. John's!” she said. “Aiyo! Don't be mad at me. Aren't you glad that we would go to the same school again? Imagine, I can be you driver! Besides, I know you will fail math, so you will definitely need me.” he said proudly. Kit rolled her eyes at him. “Fine... just don't change majors, OK? You promised me you will take up Architecture so that you could help be build my dream house in the future.” she said. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. “I promise.”

Kit looked at his chest, and saw that he still have the second button on his uniform. “Weird, I thought all the girls were asking you for that button.” she asked. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. “They did. But I lied, saying I'm saving it for someone. I want to be the first guy from Claret Academy to graduate with the button of uniform still stitched on it.” he said. Kit looked up at Calvin, and gave him a vicious smile. From the way she smiles, he could tell that an evil idea hit his head. “Kit?” he asked. Kit moved closer to him, and before he knew it, Kit took his button. “Got it! Ha ha! You did not graduate with your button still stitched on!” Kit said. She ran away from him, but Calvin did not bother to follow her. After all, he was reserving that button for Kit.

[End of flashback]

As Calvin put back the button inside the box, an old, dried rose petal caught his eye. He took it and stared at it for a long time. He thought, maybe it's one of the roses he gave Kit during Valentine's day.

[Flashback]

At one corner, Calvin an Eric were hiding as they watched Kit open her locker. “You're so weird, Calvin...” Eric said. Calvin gave him a confused look. “Why do you always have to leave those roses at Kit's locker? Why can't you give it to her directly?” Eric asked. Calvin put his pointer finger on his lips, making a quiet sign to Eric. He eyed on Kit again, and saw her smile as she saw the roses on her locker. She closed her locker, and then walked away happily. “Have you seen that, Eric? She liked the roses I gave her!” he said happily.

--

“I got roses from someone today.” Kit said as they were walking home. “Oh...” Calvin said, smiling to himself. “It says it came from my secret admirer named Knight...” she continued. “So, you have a secret admirer now, huh?” he asked. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Ever since middle school, I always get roses from him. I wonder who he is...” Kit said. She put her hand at her back, and walked. “It must be someone who knows how sad I am for not being able to give my chocolates to Chun...” she continued. Then, Kit paused and looked up at Calvin. “Thanks for you beautiful roses, Calvin. You really know that peach roses are my favorites.”

[End of Flashback]

Calvin's tears were falling endlessly. All the things that Kit have kept inside that box brings back their happy memories together. He closed his eyes as he let those tears fall. “I ruined everything between us... we could still be happy, but I ruined it...” he said. When he opened his eyes, he saw a paper crane inside the box. He took it, and then he noticed a pink envelope with his name on it. He took the envelop, and opened it. He began to read Kit's letter for him.
.

Dear Calvin,

I'm sorry for everything... I'm sorry that I have fallen in love with you. God knows I tried to stop this madness, but with those little things you do each day, it makes me love you even more. I know you will never give me a chance to hear me out. Even though you will never be able to get this letter, I still wrote this for you to let you know what I truly feel.

I fell in love with you on our last Valentine's day in high school. I don't know... but that day, I've started to see you in a different light. I thought you felt the same way for me, because I found out that you were 'Knight', the one who always leaves the peach roses on my locker each day... but when I asked you what you think of me, you said you only see me as a friend. It broke my heart, because I thought we would have a chance. I thought that you were also willing to forget that promise, but everyday, you would remind me of that. Then, someone caught your eyes, and your heart. It was Joy. Calvin, I was scared when you told me that you have fallen in love with her. I thought I would lose you to her, but then she got together with Jiro, but that didn't stop you from loving her secretly.

I know that if I won't be able to tell you how I feel, I would burst out. That's why I started to leave those paper cranes for you... those paper cranes, and those love notes... When you told me that you have fallen in love with the paper crane girl and that you would accept her whoever she is, It sparked this little hope in my heart. I wanted to tell you badly that it was me, but I remembered our promise. I remembered our promise, and how you remind me of it each day. You made me feel as if I have no right to love you, that's why I stopped giving you those paper cranes. When you started to look for me again, I told myself that I will only love you secretly, and that thing I'm doing, I will continue doing it until the day I have finally learned to give you up, and realize that what I feel for you is wrong. I was scared of how you would react if you found out that your best friend is in love with you... I never had the courage to let you know in person that I love you. I was so scared to lose you if you found out I am in love with you, scared that you will have to end our friendship.

I'm sorry if you felt that I only played with your feelings. It didn't meant to be like that. Whatever it is that I've said to you in those notes, it came from my heart, and it's what I feel in my heart. I'm sorry for not being brave enough to tell you the truth. I'm sorry if I lied to you. I know I've hurt a lot of people, especially you... but I was hurt as well. I take the blame for ruining everything...

I hope that now that I have kept my distance from you, you would be able to forgive me. I miss you so much... and it hurts a lot... I love you... you don't have to love me back, but I'll be giving you my heart anyway...

Kit

--

“I'm sorry, Kit...” Calvin said in a low voice after he read the letter. “I loved you even before... I'm sorry that I was a coward to not let you know...” He closed his eyes, and a tear fell on the letter. Now, he fully understand how Kit have loved him so much. Those subtle hints in the past, those missed opportunities, those unspoken words, those little clues that the two of them could have a chance together.. he have let them pass and turned a blind eye on them. He wished he could turn back time, and change the past.

All that he is feeling now is regret after finding their lost time....