Safe Here

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
A/N: Thank you for all the wonderful comments :) pleease keep them coming, as they make me more inspired

~~~~~

Calvin felt his heart beating fast with every step he takes. Time is running out, and they are still yet to find Kit. “Kit... wait for me...” he thought. They reached the elevator. He pressed up, but the next elevator would be coming from the 20th floor. “God damn it...” Calvin muttered, as he kicked it's door. Danson put his hand on his shoulder to calm him down. “Calm down, Cal...” he said. Calvin glared at Danson. “How can I calm down when I know that that bastard is doing something to my best friend?!” he shouted at him. Danson was shocked when he flared up, that he stepped back from him. Jiro sighed at Calvin, shaking his head. “Man, even if you flare up, that won't make us fly up to the 12th floor, so calm down, OK We're all worried about her.” Jiro said. Calvin took a deep breath, and leaned on the wall. “I... I shouldn't have left her alone. I shouldn't have. This is all my fault...” he said in low voice. Danson shook his head. “It's my fault too, Cal. I should've tagged Kit with us even though she insisted on being alone. She said she wanted to see you, even though she knows you'll be with Trixie the whole night.” he said. Calvin looked up at him, worried. “I should've warned her. I've got this got feel about Mike He... but I hesitated...” he said. “Aiyo... it's not time to blame yourself.” Jiro said.

Just then, The elevator door opened. Calvin stood up straight and looked at the two. “Let's go...” he said as he got inside the elevator. As the elevator went up, he prayed that Kit would be safe. He prayed that Kit would be brave enough, until he could find her.

--

“No!” Kit shouted at the top of her lungs. She tried to break free from Mike's grip, and tried to stay away from his kiss, but Mike was still able to manage to kiss her on her neck. She cried as Mike molested her. She looked at Mike, and saw him smiling devilishly at her. “I really like it when you struggle from me. You just made it more challenging for me.” he said, then he continued kissing her. “No! Stop it!” Kit shouted. Tears were falling nonstop from her eyes. “Somebody help me please...” she said weakly. As time passes, she gets weaker and weaker. She doesn't have enough strength anymore to attempt to break free from him, but she know that she have to. “Calvin... please find me... please...” she thought.

She gathered all of her remaining strength, and when she found the right moment, she kicked Mike in his groin. Mike flinched with pain, letting her go. She immediately stood up from the bed, and ran towards the door, but as she reached it, she felt him pull her hair. “Come back here, you !” he shouted at her. “Let me go!” she shouted. Mike held her tight, and then threw her on the floor. He positioned himself on her top again, and this time he looked at her more fiercely. “I'm not going to make it easy for you, Kit.” he hissed at her. He gripped her hands tight so that she won't be able to go. “Let me go, Mike... please stop this...” she pleaded. Mike just shook his head, and continued kissing her.

--

They reached Mike's room, and as they reached it, they heard Kit shouting. Calvin became more scared for his best friend. He clenched his fist, swearing he will kill that Mike He. Danson took the key card and opened the door. They walked inside, and at the bed, they saw Mike molesting Kit, while Kit was trying to get free. Calvin felt his blood rushing up to his head. His sight became dim as he walked towards them. He took Mike by the shoulder, and as he faced him, Calvin gave him a strong punch, that made him threw on the floor. Not contented, Calvin stood him up, and punched him again. “Bastard!” he shouted at him. Mike landed in front of Danson and Jiro this time. He stood up, but the two guys held him. “...” Jiro hissed at him. Jiro and Danson began to beat him up.

Calvin was about to join them, but he paused upon hearing Kit's soft sobs. Calvin looked at her, and saw her crying, she was disheveled and almost half-. “Kit...” he said. He immediately rushed by her side. Kit looked up at her, he could see how scared she was. “Calvin...” she whispered. Calvin sat beside her and let Kit lean on him. She let him cry on his shoulder, and he embraced her. “Sssshhh... it's OK now...” he said to her, hoping it will make her stop from crying. He her hair to calm her down. “I'm here now... you're safe here now...”

--

Calvin put his jacket around Kit. Hannah came and handed Kit a glass of water.. Kit looked up at Hannah and gave her a faint smile. “Thank you...” she said. Hannah smiled and nodded her head. Then, Jiro and Danson stood up, after playing a prank at Mike, who was unconscious after the two beat him up. Jiro borrowed Joy's make up kit, and put make up on his face, and drew funny things on his bare body. “Done here.” he said, snickering. “So, what are we going to do with this ?” Danson asked. Calvin looked up at them. “What else should we do but bring him to the police and -”
“No. Don't do that...” Kit said to Calvin. Calvin turned to her, confused. “I... I don't want mom and dad to worry. They just left for a vacation, and I don't want them to come back just because this happened.” she said. Calvin put his arm around her. “But we have to, Kit. Mike almost you... we can't let that pass.” he said. “And then what, Cal? Everyone will turn this thing into a circus... I've had enough for now... he wasn't successful with me so let's not bring this up to the police...” she said. Calvin glared at her as he shook his head. “I insist that we put him to jail! What if he comes back for you? What if the next time, he'll be successful with his plans? We have to do this, Kit... trust me, OK?” he said. Joy walked over her, and sat beside her. “Calvin's right, Kit. You have to file against him. It's your right, after all...” Joy said. “OK, I agree with you... but can we wait until dad gets home from vacation? I... I don't know what to do, and only dad would know what's the best for me. After all, he's a lawyer...” Kit said. Calvin sighed at her, resigning to what Kit wants. “OK... we'll wait for your parents till they comes back. I'll tell them what happened, OK?” he said. Kit nodded his head, and Calvin smiled at her.

They left the hotel room to go home. At the lobby, they saw Trixie patiently waiting for Calvin. Trixie saw Kit, who looked as if a storm hit her. She faked a worried look on her face as she walked towards them. “Oh my God, Kit, sweety... what happened?” she asked. “Mike tried to do something to her. Good thing we came just in time.” Calvin explained. Trixie gasped upon hearing what Calvin said. “Oh my God, are you OK, Kit?” she asked. Kit smiled at her and nodded her head. “I'm OK, don't worry...” she said. Then, Trixie turned to Chun, who was standing besides Danson. “Chun, I think you should drive Kit home. She needs to rest after all the things she have gone through.” she said. Chun looked at Calvin, and then Calvin turned to Trixie. “Actually, baby... I'm going to drive Kit home...” he said. “Oh... OK. We can drop her off along the way and -”
“Trixie, you don't understand. Kit needs me now, and I just can't leave her like this...”

Calvin saw Trixie's face became dim. “I asked Chun to drive you home. I'm sorry, baby... I hope you understand...” he said. Trixie looked at him with a hurt expression on her face, then her eyes landed on Kit. “Why does she always have to come first? Why can't I be your priority? I'm your girlfriend!” she wanted to say. “Cal... you can drive Trixie home. I'll just ask Danson to drop me off, and ask Hannah to keep me company for the mean time...” Kit said to Calvin. Calvin shook his head in disagreement. “No. It would be much better if I would drive you home. At least I know that you're safe, and if anything happened, I'm just a stone's throw away.” he said. Kit looked at Trixie, and could see how mad she is about the situation. “It's OK, Kit. I'm OK with Chun driving me home.” she said in a hurt tone. Kit sighed, she's guilty for making Trixie mad. If only this had not happened, Calvin would not worry this much about her. “I'm sorry Trixie.” she said in a low voice. Trixie forced a smile on her face. “I understand, Kit. I perfectly understand.”

--

Danson and Hannah reached the latter's home that midnight. “Thanks for the ride.” Hannah said, smiling at Danson. Hannah opened the door of the car, and got out. Danson got out of his car, and followed Hannah. Hannah sensed that Danson was following her. “Wei...” she said as she turned to Hannah. “Why are you following me?” she asked. “I just want to make sure you'll get inside your house sound and safe.” he said. Hannah smirked at him. “Oh really? I was not the one who almost got , Danson. And besides, our neighborhood is safe...”
“I just want to make sure you'll get inside the house safe...”
Hannah could feel that there are other reasons why he followed her. “Do you want to come in?” she asked. Danson turned his gaze away from her, not answering her question. “You have other intentions, I know. It's either you want me to make you a cup of coffee, or you want to talk about what happened, or both.” she said. Danson sighed as he nods his head. “I guess you're right... it's both...” he said. Hannah nodded her head, and let Danson inside her house.

Danson stayed at the den while waiting for Hannah. After a while, he saw Hannah came out if the kitchen, holding a tray with two cups of coffee in it. She put it on the table, and then sat beside Danson on the couch. “OK, speak up, lover boy...” she said. “I felt jealous....” he began. Hannah looked at her, surprised at what he said. “Wei, Danson... a lot of things have happened tonight, especially to Kit. It's not the perfect time to be jealous, OK?” she said. “I can't help it, Hannah. I always thought I could be like Calvin in Kit's life... but at that moment... I proved to myself that I could not even come close to what he is to her. I can make her smile like Calvin does, but only Calvin knows how to take away her fears...”
“Danson, you know that no one can replace Calvin in Kit's life. They grew up together, so it's only natural that Calvin knows her more than anyone else in this world. We all have our roles in other people's life, and it just so happened that your role in Kit's life in not the same as Calvin's role in her life.”
“But I couldn't help but be jealous, or even be mad at myself, Hannah. I should've been the one that Kit cried to when she was out there and scared. I didn't even felt that she is in danger, but Calvin did...”

Hannah smiled at him, and held his hand. “You were there to save Kit as well. You are a hero in her eyes. Shouldn't that matter to you as well?” she asked. Danson slowly nodded his head. “See? It matters to you. It matters to Kit as well. If I were her, I would be thankful for coming to my rescue. I know she is... she might've not said it a while ago, but she is thankful for you and Jiro.” Hannah said. Danson finally smiled at her. “Wow... you really know how to make me feel better...” he said. “Of course, I do. Anyway, it wasn't only you that was jealous. I'm just making you see things in a better perspective...” she said. She looked down on her cup of coffee and toyed it with a spoon. Danson smirked at her. “Oh, so you're jealous of Kit?” he asked. Hannah looked up at him again. “Jealous might not be the right term... maybe envy. She's lucky to have Calvin as her best friend. He's always there for her, always looks after her... I wonder if someone would do that for me as well...” she said. “Of course there is, silly girl!” he said. Hannah gave him a curious look. “I'm here. You have me, I have you... that should matter, right?”

--

Calvin stopped the engine of his car, and then turned to Kit. “We're here...” he said. Kit sat up and then reached for the door. She was about to open it, but she hesitated. She looked at her house, and found it was dark and empty. The mere thought of being home alone made her scared. After what happened tonight, she definitely wouldn't want to be alone. “Calvin...” she said as she turned to him. “Can you stay with me? Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?” she asked. Calvin felt that his best friend is scared. He wouldn't want to leave her in this condition. He smiled at her, and nodded her head. “I'll stay with you, don't worry...” he said.

The two went inside the house, and then wen to her room. “Do you want me to turn the lights on?” he asked her. Kit just nodded her head. Not bothering to change her clothes, she just plopped on her bed. She suddenly felt tired. All of her strength were used up when she fought Mike. Maybe it's also the effect of the drug Mike put in her drink. As he laid on her bed, a tear fell down from her eyes. She wanted to be mad at herself for being such a weakling. She have always thought she is brave, and that she is unlike the other girls who would always ask for help and could not defend themselves. She have always thought that she could face any danger that comes her way, but she was wrong. Mike tried to help her, and the only thing she could do was cry for help. She struggled to break free, but he was too strong for her. Because of what happened, it seems that she have lost her confidence of being left alone. It would now be hard on her part to trust someone else. Until the day comes that she would be able to forget this night, she will live in fear of being alone. What scares her most is that she felt like she would rely on Calvin most of the time until she forgets this night. She didn't want to rely on him because it would only prove that she is weak. She wouldn't want to be a burden to him, because she knows he also have a life to live. It was Calvin who thought her to rely on herself and to be brave, but all of it seems to have disappeared because of what Mike did to her.

Calvin sat beside Kit, and brushed her hair with his fingers. He heard her soft sobs again, and he knows it's because of the traumatic experience that happened to her a while ago. “it's OK, Kit... I'm just here...” he whispered to her. He watched her until she fell asleep. As soon as he is sure that she's in her deep slumber, he let her go so that he could leave. As he stood up from her bed, Kit reached out for his hand and held him tight. “Calvin, please don't leave me...” she pleaded. “I won't leave you...” he said to her. He sat back on her bed, and watched her. Feeling tired after a while, he laid beside her, embracing her tight to make her feel that he's just beside her. As long as he is beside her, he can assure her that she is safe, that he is here to protect her from those who wants to hurt her.

--

Monday came, and it was time to go to school. It was early in the morning when Calvin decided to pick up Kit so that they could go to school together. “Kit said that shes not feeling well...” her mother said to him. He looked at Mrs. Jin as she shook her head. “I don't know about her... she just stayed up in her room the whole day. It's like she didn't want to wake up... she's getting me worried...” she said. “Auntie, did... did Kit told you something?” he asked. Mrs. Jin shook her head. “I tried asking her what's wrong, but she wouldn't tell me. Maybe you can talk to her, Calvin. She'll tell you...” he said. Calvin nodded his head, then rushed up to Kit's room.

“Kit...” he called as he opened the door of her room. He saw Kit lying on her bed. Kit looked up at him. “Calvin...”
“Your mom said that you're not feeling well... are you sick?”
Calvin walked over her, and sat on her bed. He put the back of his palm on her forehead to check her temperature. “You seem OK. Get up, and let's go to school, OK?” he said. Kit just shook her head. “I don't feel like going to school...” she said in a low voice. “But why?”
“Maybe the all knew what happened. I... I can't face the ugly rumors now...”
“But it wasn't your fault, Kit. You didn't want to get molested by Mike.”
“But still, you know what people think. I'd rather stay here...”

Calvin sighed at her. He thought up of a way to convince Kit to go to school. “Well, if that's what you want. I'll tell your mom and dad the real reason why you can't go to school...” he said. As he stood up, Kit sat up on her bed and held his hand to stop him. “No, please don't tell them...” she pleaded., Calvin gave her a confused look. “Kit, you promised that we will tell your dad what happened to you as soon as they're back from vacation. Obviously, they're here now, so we should tell them.” he said. “I know you're doing this to make me go to school. OK... I'll go to school, just don't tell them.”
“And when are you planning to tell them?”
Kit lowered her head, unable to answer his question. Calvin sat on her bed again, and lifted up her chin. “Are you scared that they will get mad at you?” he asked. Kit slowly nodded her head. “They won't be mad at you. It wasn't your fault, Kit. You were the one who got molested here... they would understand and support you.”
“I just don't want any complications, Calvin. Nothing happened, right? I was not by Mike... so it would be better if I won't tell them.”
“But he still tried to. It would be much better if we let your mom and dad know about what happened,, they know what to do next.”
Kit finally gave in to what Calvin said. “Fine... but let's tell them after school. And promise me one thing, Cal...” she said. Calvin listened to what she have to say. “Promise me you won't leave me, no matter what...”

--

“Did you know, Mike He and his friends dropped out of school?”
“Really?! Why?”
“I think because of what he did to Kit Jin at Rainie Yang's party...”
“Oh, is it true? He really tried to her?”
“Yeah! Good thing Calvin Chen, Danson Tang and Jiro Wang came to save her...”
“Wow, I never thought Mike He could be that erted...”
“Poor Kit... I hope she's OK...”
“If she didn't come to school today, then it means she's still not OK...”
“But she's safe now, right?”
“I think so...”
“Poor Kit...”

Trixie glared at the two gossiping girls at one corner. She became more mad because of what had happened. Her plan didn't turned out the way it should. If Mike was only successful at what he should've done, then maybe the whole school wouldn't sympathize with Kit. “Why does she always have to be the center of attention?!” she said aloud. The two girls looked at her, scared with the way she reacted. Before Trixie could look at them, they rushed away from her, afraid that Trixie would turn her anger on them. She clenched her fist, as she walked away. “Kit will pay for this...” she said to herself. “She will definitely pay for getting Calvin's attention.”

--

“He dropped out?” Kit asked Joy in a surprised tone. Joy just nodded her head. “I think he felt guilty for trying to you...” she said. “Or, he's running away in case you decided to file a case against him at the at the admin.” Hannah said. “I... I just hope that I won't ever see his face again...” she said in a hard tone. Joy and Hannah looked at each other. They could not blame Kit for being furious at Mike, after all he did something bad to her. “So what's your plan now, Kit?” Joy asked. “He still have to explain why he did that to me...” Kit said. “I should find him...”
“But what for, Kit?” Hannah asked. Kit looked at Hannah. “Because it's the only way I could have my closure. I want to know why he did it. There must be other reasons why he did it...” she said. Joy and Hannah looked at each other, confused at what Kit said. “What other reason could Mike have other than lusting over you?” Joy asked. “What if... what if someone told him to put me in danger?” Kit said. “Kit, Mike did that because he knows that you can't love him.” Hannah said. “That's the point, Hannah. If you love someone, you would not put the one you love in danger, right?” she said. Joy and Hannah nodded their head, finally understanding what Kit is trying to say.

--

“Calvin, can we talk?” Trixie said as she walked towards Calvin. Calvin closed the door of his locker, and then faced Trixie. “Yes, Trixie?” he asked. “I was just wondering if we go out later...” Calvin smiled at her, and shook his head. “I'm sorry, Trixie... but I promised Kit that I'll drive her home.” he said. The smile on Trixie's face disappeared upon hearing what Calvin said. “So... it's still Kit...” she said in a low voice. “You understand, right? Kit needs me now more than ever.” he said. Trixie looked up with a hurt expression on her face. “But did it ever crossed your mind that I need you too? I need you more that she needs you, Calvin...” she said. Calvin sighed, he felt he is being pulled in different direction. “Trixie... please don't do this... You know what happened to her, and the only person she could trust right now. I just cant let her down... because I promised her.”
“Maybe she's just making an excuse to have you by herself. Ever since the two of you made up, you spend most of your time with her. It seems to me that you have forgotten that I am your girlfriend.”

Calvin shook his head as she speaks. “That's not true, Trixie. You know that I give you all my attention...” he said in a calm tone. “That's not true!” she shouted at him. He saw the tears that involuntarily fell from her eyes. “She always have your attention, Calvin. She always comes first. She have always been your priority. What about me, Calvin? I need you too... I'm longing for that even small time that you would spend with me...” she said as she cried. “Trixie, why can't you understand? Why are you being so selfish? Kit have always gave way to you... You know that I defended you from her when the two of you fought. She always understood. I wasn't there on her special day, and now that she needs me, I have to be there for her because I am her best friend. Why can't you understand that?” he asked.

He was getting frustrated with the way Trixie is acting. He was afraid that Trixie would ask him to chose between the two of them, and he didn't want to chose with any of them. “Yes, you're right... she always gave way to me, but she always get in my way, especially when it comes to you. She perfectly knows how to grab your attention. She will always come between us and I hate her for that. Why can't I be on top of your list, Calvin? I'm tired of begging for your time...” she said. Calvin let out a sigh of dismay. Trixie is narrow-minded, and though he have explained everything to her, she would never understand his situation right now. All he's asking from her is to understand him if he would be giving a little of his time to her, because he have to there for Kit. He shook his head, and then looked up at her. “This conversation is going nowhere, Trixie. Let's talk when you learn to realize everything...” he said. He started to walk away from her, and Trixie could only look at her. “Then, you have to choose. Is it me, or your best friend?” she shouted. Calvin looked back at her with disbelief. “Come on, Trixie. I can't choose between the two of you. I love you as my girlfriend, and Kit, I love her as my best friend.” he said. Trixie shook her head, not believing what he said. “Tell me the truth, Calvin...” she shouted again at him. “Are you in love with your best friend? Do you love her, that you would rather be with her?”