Giving Up

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
“Tell me the truth, Calvin...” she shouted again at him. “Are you in love with your best friend? Do you love her, that you would rather spend your time with her?”

Calvin paused, not being able to answer her question right away. He knows in his heart that he love Trixie, but posing that question to him, he didn't know how to explain to her that his feelings for the two girls are different. Calvin closed his eyes in frustration, as Trixie's reaction is already getting out of hand. “You don't have to answer, Calvin...” he heard a familiar voice say. He looked back, and he saw Kit walking towards them. Kit then turned her attention to Trixie. “You know very well how Calvin feels for you. Calvin loves you more than anything else in this world, Trixie. He did everything for you, especially breaking my heart, so don't ever question what he feels for you.” she said to her. Trixie let out a smirk at her. “That's the problem. I am not secure with how Calvin feels because he always makes me feel that you are more important to him than me.” she shouted at her. Kit looked up at Calvin, and then looked at Trixie again. “I'm sorry if that's what you think... I'm sorry if I'm always getting in your way. Now I could understand why you hate me so much. I assure you this will be the last time that I would need Calvin....” she said. Calvin looked at Kit, surprised at what she said. “Kit?” Kit looked up at him and forced a smile. “Hey, I think I should learn not to depend on you that much. Since we were kids, I always relied on you, and I didn't realize that my dependency on you would break someone else's heart...” she said. “But Kit...” Kit smiled at him again. “It's going to be all right. I'm going to be all right.... Trixie needs you more than I do. And besides, it's not like I'm ending our friendship. You will always be my best friend, Cal... but as of now, be with Trixie...” she said.

Kit held Calvin's have and led her to Trixie. She took Trixie's hand, and put their hands together. “Trixie... promise me that no matter what, you will not break Calvin's heart...” she said. Then, she looked up at Calvin. “Because you will also break mine if you do...” she said. Trixie looked at Kit, unable to believe what she was saying. “Kit...” she called. Kit looked at her again and smiled. “This is my sacrifice for you. I'm putting our friendship at the back seat so that you could be happy. The least you could do for me is make Calvin happy as well...” she said. Then, she turned her back on them, and walked away. She was not just walking away from them, she's walking away from her best friend, and the friendship they have nurtured for more than ten years. As she walked away, she closed her eyes, letting the tears fall from her eyes. “Goodbye, Calvin...” she said silently. “I'm sorry if I have to do this... I just can't bear seeing someone's heart breaking because of me.”

Calvin watched Kit as she walked away from them. God knows he tried to save their friendship, but in the end, it was her who decided to walk away from him. At that very moment, he wanted to let go of Trixie's hand and followed her. He will always choose Kit, no matter what, because Kit is important to him. He can't bear to lose his best friend. “Why, Kit?” he thought. “Why did you choose to give up on me? Why did you choose to put aside our friendship just to make someone else happy?”

Trixie looked up at Calvin, and saw how sad his eyes is as he watched his best friend leave. “Calvin..” she called. Calvin looked at her, and smiled. She could feel that Calvin is trying to hide his loneliness Can she really be happy with him, though she knows she is the reason why Kit walked away on him?

--

That night, Calvin drove Trixie home. Like before, she noticed that Calvin have been silent. He did not speak a word at her, and just turned his attention at the road. She didn't want him to be like this, she felt like she's losing him and that he's mad because she is the reason why Kit decided to end their friendship. “Calvin... please talk to me...” she told him. But Calvin did not bother to look at her. She know she should happy for what Kit did, but how can she be happy if he knows that the man she loves is hurting because his best friend walked away from him? Could she forgive him for being selfish? The only thing she wanted in this world is his love, and would it be to much to ask for all of him?

His car stopped in front of her house. She didn't want to leave yet, not like this. She wanted him to her what he feels, because she could not keep on guessing what's in his mind. “Speak to me, Cal. Tell me, are you mad at me?” she asked. This time, Calvin looked up at her with a sad look in his face. “I could never be mad at you, but please give me this moment to be alone. I still could not believe what just happened, Trixie... you just don't expect me to move on that easily.” he said. “I know it's all my fault, Calvin... I'm sorry... I'm sorry for being selfish.” she said as she turned away from him. She reached for the door, and opened it. As she was about to get out of the car, she felt Calvin's hand reach her. “I'm sorry... I thought that she would always need me... I'm sorry if I assumed that you understand. I.. I should've not hurt you this way, Trixie...” he said. Trixie looked up at him and hugged him. “I love you too much that I can't bear losing you... and now that Kit gave way to me, I'll keep my promise to her.” she said to her. She looked at him, and kissed him on the lips.

--

At one corner, Mike watched from his car as Trixie got out of Calvin's car. As soon as Calvin is gone, he started the engine of his car and drove it in front of her house. As he stopped, Trixie was just about to get inside her house. He got out of his car, and walked towards her, and held her hand. Trixie looked back at him, surprised to see him. “What are you doing here?” she asked. Mike smirked at her. “I'm here to get my part of the deal...” he said. Trixie just laughed at what he said. “What deal? Were you successful at getting Kit? You were not even able to do what you're supposed to do, Mike...” she snapped at him. “Do you think it's that easy, Trixie? I did all the work here.”
“And I did all the planning. All you have to do is do your part, but you failed.”
“But still, we have a deal. You are mine now, Trixie.”
“I am not yours, Mike... and will never be.”
“But you are mine. You are mine since that night you betrayed Calvin.”

Furious, Trixie glared at him and slapped him in the cheek. “It was a big mistake. That night is a big mistake!” she shouted at him. Mike rubbed his cheek, and then glared at her. “Then why did you call me that night? Why did you agreed to do it? I could steal hear you in pleasure...” he said, mocking her. Then he laughed evilly. “You don't know what you're getting into, Trixie Yan. You wouldn't want to mess up with me, because you never know what I can do to you...” he said. Then, he walked over her, and leaned to her. “I could even ruin your relationship with Calvin. Trust me, I can do it, Trixie.” he whispered to her. Then, he kissed her on the lips before walking towards his car. Trixie could only watch him, fearing his threats. Now that she and Calvin are OK now, there's no way that Mike He could ruin them... but still...

--

“Oh, Kit! I love you so much Kit!” Chun said as he hugged Kit that afternoon. Danson and Hannah were laughing hard as they watched Chun. Kit just laughed as she hugged Chun back. “Oh, Chun! I love you too!” she said to him. Chun let go of her, and looked at her, smiling. “Tickets to a very boring recital... this is exciting!” he said as he looked at the ticket Kit handed to him a while ago. “Wei, Chun... it's not a boring recital, OK? It's Hannah's recital.” Danson said. Chun looked at him and stucked out his tongue at him. Then, he looked at Kit again. “Don't worry, Kit. Just to make you happy, I'll go to this recital...” she said. “I'll be expecting you there, OK?” Hannah said. Chun looked at Hannah and smiled. “Sure... just make sure you boyfriend here won't be there.” he said, glaring at Danson. Danson and Hannah looked at each other, and then looked at Chun, shaking their heads. “He's not my boyfriend!”
“He's not my girlfriend!” they said in unison. Chun just laughed at them. “Hey, I'm just kidding. I'll be there to support you, Hannah.” he said. Danson and Hannah excused themselves to the two as the two need to go on their way – Danson still have a soccer practice, while Hannah still have to practice for her upcoming recital. “So, you want to hang out at the cafe? Jiro and Joy would be there after their classes. Kit smiled at him, and nodded her head. Then, the two went on their way.

They were walking towards the cafe, when they saw Mike walking towards them. Kit was taken aback as he saw him. “Uh-oh...” she said. Chun held her hand, and looked at her. She could see the fear in her face. “Don't worry, I'm with you. I'll protect you from him.” he said. Mike stopped in front of them. “Kit... can we talk?” he asked. He did not looked as fierce as before, but instead, his eyes were filled with regret and sadness. “What do you have to say to her, ?!” Chun said to him. Mike looked up at him. “A lot of things...” he said to him. Kit remained unmoved by him. “Whatever it is that you want to say to me, say it now. I'm just giving you five minutes.” she said in a hard tone. Mike looked up at her, and she saw how mad she is at him. He could not blame her, after all the things he have done. She have given her a chance, and even considered him as her friend, but he betrayed her trust. He should've listened to his conscience that not, and be carried away with his anger, his emotion, and with his lust. “I'm sorry...” he said as he lowered his voice. “I know what I did to you is unforgivable, and I regret doing that. I'm sorry if I harmed you... I'm sorry for everything...” he continued. He looked up at her, and saw that she was still unmoved. He does expect that she forgive him right away. He only wanted to apologize for what he has done. If Kit would decide to file a case against him, then he would face it.

The reason why he decided to drop out of school is because he could not face her. He was guilty, and he was too scared to face her wrath. It took him a lot of courage to face her, and apologize. He is ready if Kit would slap him in the face, or if Chun would beat him up. All he wanted to do is show them that he is sincere with his intentions. “What you did... it was unforgivable, Mike. I don't think I could ever forgive you as long as I remember what you did to me that night. You exploited me. You made me feel like I'm the dirtiest girl in the world, and you put down my dignity.” she said. Mike lowered his head as she speaks. “Do you know how much it hurts me? I trusted you, Mike... but you took advantage of me. I felt like you used me... and that you only wanted my body. Is that how shallow and low you think of me, huh, Mike?” she asked him again. Mike shook his head. “No... I don't see you like that. I didn't want to do it but...” he paused. He looked up at her, having second thoughts if he would tell her about what he and Trixie planned before. But if that's the only way that Kit would see his sincerity, then he have to tell her. “Trixie...” he said. “She... asked me to do that. Kit could not believe what she heard. “Trixie? How can Trixie be part of this?” she asked. “She was the one who planned everything. She wanted you to get in danger, because she thinks you always steal Calvin from her, that's why she wanted to have her revenge on you...” he explained. “Trixie? You planned everything with Trixie? What proof do you have that she's part of this?” she asked. She could not believe what Mike told her. She crossed her arms, and she glared at Mike. “Trixie and I may not be in good terms, but I don't think she would resort in this kind of things.” she said to him.

“I know you would not believe me, Kit. I know. But, I could not believe that you would still side with Trixie after what she have done to you.” Mike said. He turned his back to her and started to walk away from her. Halfway through, he paused, and then he looked back at her. “I will look for my proof so that you would believe me...”

--

It was after soccer practice, and Calvin rushed to his locker. As he opened his locker, he saw another black paper crane by his locker. “What is this?” he said to himself. He opened his locker, and saw a little yellow note inside it. He took it and read what's written on it.

“The hardest thing in life is when you know inside your heart that you love the person but you ran out of reasons to fight for what you feel and believe in.”

He stared at the note in his hand, and stared at it for a moment. He’s starting to receive these notes and paper cranes again, and he is sure that Trixie did not left this in his locker. The first time someone left this black paper crane, Trixie was not around. The second time, he asked Trixie if he left something in his locker but she denied it. And this third time, he’s not sure if this came from Trixie or not. He does not want to think that there is another girl, because it would complicate everything. “Calvin, you left this.” He heard someone say. He turned around and saw Danson rushing up to him. He handed Calvin his towel, and then he noticed the paper crane and note he was holding. “You… you got another paper crane?” Danson asked. Calvin nodded his head. “From Trixie?” he asked again. Calvin shook his head. “I don’t know…” he said while staring at it. Then, he looked up at Danson again. “This is the third time that someone left this black paper crane on my locker, and I don’t think it’s Trixie.” He said. “You’re right. If Trixie did that, she would’ve given to you directly…” he said.

Danson suddenly remember the paper crane he saw in his bag a few days back. He took a deep breath, and decided to ask Calvin about it. “Cal… before you found out that Trixie is the paper crane girl, how many paper cranes do you get in a day?” he asked. “I only receive one paper crane from her a day.” Calvin answered. His answer proved his theory about Trixie. Trixie is not the real paper crane girl. Calvin saw the change in Danson’s expression. “Is there something wrong?” he asked. Danson reached for his bag, and showed Calvin the paper crane and the note that he and Kit saw on that day. “We found this on your locker on that same day you saw Trixie putting the paper crane on your locker.” He said. Calvin looked up at him, confused at what he said. “What do you mean?” he asked. “That’s the real paper crane left to you on that day.” Danson said. Calvin looked at the paper crane that Danson is holding and took it. “So Trixie lied to me… about being the paper crane girl?” he asked. Danson nodded his head. “There is a possibility, Cal. Tell me, since the two of you became an item, was there ever a time you received a paper crane, aside from those black paper cranes?” he asked again. Calvin shook his head. “You’re right, Danson…” he said. “Trixie might not be the real paper crane girl.”

--

Mike entered his pad, and he saw Ethan and Joe watching something on the TV. “What’s that?” he asked as he threw his jacket on the couch. “A movie…” Joe said, grinning from ear to ear. Mike gave him a confused look. “Movie? Which kind of movie?” he asked. Ethan looked up at him. “A y movie…” he said, smiling at him. Mike took a seat beside them, and turned his eyes on the TV. His eyes widened at what he saw – it was a video of him and Trixie inside his car. “Wei! How did this happen?” he asked them. “Well, we figured out that Trixie might not keep a part of her bargain, so we secretly installed a camera on your car.” Joe said. “Joe just realized it yesterday. So, here it is.” Ethan said. Joe grinned at Mike as her tapped his back. “Man, looks like Trixie’s really good huh?” he asked. Mike watched carefully the video, and at the end, it showed the two talking.

“About the plan...”
“You're a very impatient boy, Mike He...”
“And you're such an evil princess, Trixie Yan. I can't believe you'll cheat on your boyfriend like this.”
“Serves him right...”
“Didn't you wait a long time to be with him? I thought you were going to be a good girl now that you have him.”
“How can I be a good girl if that always gets in the way.”
Mike laughed as she answered. “You really hate her that much...” he said. Trixie looked at him and smiled. “So, the plan...”

Mike was surprised to see that scene. It was the part that he and Trixie were talking about their evil plan. “Joe, rewind that part…” he said. “Would you rather rewind it to the very first part?” Joe asked. Mike glared at Joe. “Just do it!” he shouted at him. Startled, Joe reached for the remote and rewind that scene that he and Trixie were talking. “Ethan,” he called, not taking his eyes on the TV. “Can you burn this video for me on a CD?” he asked. Ethan nodded his head. “Sure, no problem. Just give me a minute.” He said. Mike smiled to himself. Good thing his friends were as clever as he is. With this video, he could prove to Kit that Trixie planned everything, and he could get back at Trixie for not keeping her promise.

--

“But… but how would I know if she is telling the truth?” Calvin asked Danson. Danson shook his head. “I don’t know either…” he said. Calvin sighed. He is confused right now. Now that he knows that Trixie is not the paper crane girl, what should he do? He gave her a chance because he thought her intentions are real. He has fallen in love with her, because he thought he is the person that she is.

“Calvin?” he heard someone call. He looked back, and he saw Kit walking towards him. She saw his face filled with confusion, and so is Danson. “Is there something wrong?” she asked. Neither of them answered. Instead, they showed them the black paper crane on Calvin’s hand and the yellow paper crane on Danson’s hand. “What is this?” she asked them. “There is another paper crane girl, Kit…” Danson said. This made Kit even more confused. “I thought it’s Trixie…” she said. Calvin shook his head. “It wasn’t her… but I want to prove that she is really not her.” He said. “Then, what would you do if you proved that? Will that change the way you feel towards her?”

--

“She lied to me, Kit…”
“But, you love her, right?”

Calvin turned away from her as she shook his head. “I was in love with the girl I thought she were…” he said in a low voice.

--

“Then, it means you were never in love with her all this time…”