Recollection of Memories

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
A/N: This is a series of Kit's flashback, during the time when Kit was still the paper crane girl, so you might be reading something that came from the previous chapters.

--

The darkness hidden the figure lying on her bed. Her eyes, wide awake,and only soft sobs can be heard. The darkness have managed to hide the loneliness in her eyes. It have hidden her tears. It have hidden her heartache. What happened that day, it was something that was unexpected. Who would've thought that on that day, she will lose the most important person in her life? The man she have loved for so long have decided to walk out on her just like that... because she have broken a promise they made long ago.

She closed her eyes, and a single tear rolled from her eyes. She could still hear him shouting at her, accusing her of playing with his feelings, of breaking his heart. Of all people, she know how he have felt toward the paper crane girl. After all, he confided to her, and told her all of his feelings for that girl. Listening to him, telling her how he felt that this mystery girl is his soul mate, made her filled with hope. She badly wanted to tell him it was her, but her fear stopped her from doing so. She was too scared to break her promise and lose him forever, that's why she chose their friendship. But now, she regrets all the things she have done. If only she could turn back time... she would tell him how she feels for him...

--

Hannah walked towards the familiar locker. She took the yellow note from her hand, and then inserted it inside the locker. “Hannah?” she heard someone call. She froze in her place. Someone found her, and she know who it was. She slowly looked back, and saw Kit standing beside her. “What are you doing here?” she asked, smiling at her. “I... I...” she stuttered. She saw her took a paper crane from her bag, and then hang it on his locker. “Kit?” she asked. She was confused at what she was doing. Kit just looked at her and smiled. “You left a love note for Calvin?” she asked. Hannah nodded her head. “You... you're leaving a paper crane for what?” she asked. “The paper crane symbolizes my love for him...” Kit said.

Hannah was even more surprised at what she said. She have known Kit way back their first day in the uni, but they weren't close enough for her to tell her this things. “You... you are in love with... with Calvin?” she asked. Kit nodded her head. “There's no way he would love me back, I know. For him, I am the sister he never have... that's why I'm doing this. This way, I could let Calvin know how I feel without him knowing that it's me.” she said. Hannah could clearly see the sadness in her eyes. She never thought that she was secretly in love with her best friend, and sadly, there is nothing she could do. “Kit... I'm sorry... I never thought...” Kit smiled at her and shook her head. “Don't worry about me. I have been through this. Promise me... whatever it is that you found out, you will keep it a secret...” she said. Hannah smiled and nodded her head. “Don't worry, I will definitely keep this secret. Trust me.” she said. Then, Kit held her hand. “Come on, we shouldn't linger here for so long, or he might see us.” Kit said. Hannah smiled at her and nodded her head.

--

From one corner, Kit hid herself. As soon as the bell rang, she saw Calvin walked towards his locker. She saw the surprised look on his face as he found his little gift from her. Then, his lips turn into a smile. As he opened the locker, he saw the note that Hannah left for him. He smiled as he read that note. Shes happy to know that he have appreciated the things they gave him, and was not annoyed by it. She felt contented seeing that sunshiny smile of his, for this is what she have always wanted to see. She stood up, and took a deep breath. She opened the book that she was holding, and walked towards him. “Drats... Professor Ren is really something...” she said as she approached Calvin.

--

As Kit was walking to her next class, she saw Calvin as he stared at Joy. She stepped back, and hid herself to watch him. She know Calvin have liked Joy for so long, and it breaks her heart watching him as he watched the girl he loves. She wished that Calvin could look at her the way that he looks at Joy, but he knows that it's impossible. It's like wishing for pigs to fly. He know Calvin could never notice someone like her, after all, she's just a friend. But her heart ached when he saw the pain in his eyes the moment he saw Jiro. She wished she could take that pain away, and make him smile... if only she could have the courage to do that...

--

“Kit, you told me you'll help me find her, right?” she heard Calvin ask her. She smiled at him, although inside, she was feeling nervous. Then, she nodded her head. Calvin smiled at her. “Can you start looking for her?” he asked. Kit nodded her head again. “Sure. Danson will help me. Right, Danson?” she said, looking at Danson. She was praying that Danson would not agree to her, but she was wrong. “Sure, no problem.” Danson said. Calvin smiled at his two friends. “Thanks a lot, guys!” he said as he put his arms around them.

--

“Hannah...” the smaller figure looked up at her. She walked towards her. Hannah let out a faint smile as she approaches. “Kit...”
“I need your help, Hannah...”

--

“Why are you doing this?” Chun asked Kit as they were sitting by the rooftop. “Do you really like me a lot or you are lying about loving me? Kit... if you want me to stop annoying Calvin, then I will stop...” he said as he looked at the girl beside her. Kit felt her heart beating fast. With the way Chun looked at her, it seems that he could see through her. “I liked you ever since, Chun...” she said. Chun just shook his head. “There is someone else that you like, Kit. It's not me.” he said. Kit looked away from him. “You know...” she said in a low voice. “Yes, I know...” Chun said. “I know you are in love with Calvin... and you are keeping this a secret. I don't know why...”
“Because we made a promise of not falling in love with each other...”
“What would happen if one of you fell for another?”
“We have to end our friendship...”

Chun sighed and shook his head. “So... things would be complicated now that you are in love with Calvin... wouldn't he understand that if he found out?” he asked. “I don't know. All I know is that I'm scared of losing my best friend that's why I'm not telling him this...” she said as she looked at him. “Chun... promise me you won't tell anyone about this... about what you have found out...” Chun looked at her and smiled. “I'll keep this a secret... don't worry...”

--

As Hannah opened the door, she saw Kit sitting by the piano, waiting for her. Kit looked at her and smiled. “Hey...” she said. Hannah smiled at her. “Hey, Kit.” she said. She walked towards her, and sat beside her. “I heard about your scholarship in Vienna...” Kit said. “Is that the reason why you were leaving the notes for Calvin?” she asked again. Hannah nodded her head. “I don't have much time, Kit. Like you, I can only love Calvin from afar... and I wanted to let him know how I feel before I leave...” she said. Kit stared at her for a long time, and then smiled at her. “You've done a lot for me... from keeping my secrets... to helping me do my deeds. I know one thing that could help you let him know how you feel...” she said. Hannah just looked at her, confused at what she was saying. “What do you mean?” she asked. “How about taking my place... as the paper crane girl?”

--

Danson and Kit saw Calvin and Trixie by Calvin's locker. They immediately ran towards them, and was surprised at what Calvin asked Trixie. “Y-you? You are my paper crane girl?” he asked. Trixie was not able to answer for a while. Kit knew that Trixie would lie to him. She was about to walk towards them and explain everything to Calvin, but Danson stopped her. They both looked at each other, as if telling each other to wait for what Trixie would say. “I... I didn't know you would find out this way...” they heard Trixie said. Then, Trixie looked up at Calvin and said. “Yes Calvin, I am the paper crane girl...”

Kit could not believe what she heard. She know for a fact that Trixie is not the paper crane girl, but she is. “No...” she wanted to shout. She looked at Danson, hoping he would help her, and say something, but he just remained standing listening to Trixie's lies. “Maybe we were wrong...” she heard Danson say. She shook her head, and looked at Calvin again. “She's lying, Calvin...” she wanted to say. “I... I am the real paper crane girl, not Trixie!” She looked up at the other side, and saw Hannah standing from the other side. She could also see the shock on her face upon hearing what Trixie said. “No... Kit's the one...” she wanted to say to Calvin. Confused about what's going on, she didn't notice that she dropped her books as she turned and ran away from that scene.

“Hannah!” she heard Kit said. She looked back, and saw Kit and Danson running towards her. She shook her head, and headed to the music room. “Kit, wait... “ Danson said as he held her hand. Kit looked back at him. “Let Hannah be alone for a while...” he said. Kit just shook her head. “She needs me now, Danson. Let me talk to her.” she said. She let go of his hand and then followed Hannah to the music room. As she opened the door, she found the room empty.

--

Hannah slowly opened the door of the music room, and saw Kit playing a lonely tune on the piano. Moon River. It was Calvin's favorite tune and she knows that it was Kit's favorite tune as well. She slowly walked inside the room, and as she stood beside her, Kit looked at her with tears on her eyes. “Hannah...” she said. Hannah sat beside her, and let her head rest on her shoulder. She could also feel her pain. They both knew it was Kit that Calvin was looking for, but someone have assumed her identity, She could also feel the pain that she was feeling. “Kit... it's going to be all right...” she said to her. There's nothing she could do but hear her soft sobs. If only she could help her take away the hurt she is feeling right now, she would do that. Kit doesn't deserve this, not her, who have became her only friend. Kit does not deserve to be hurt, even though it's wrong for her to love Calvin.

Shr reached for the piano, and continued playing her tune. “Kit... it's gonna be OK...” she whispered to her. She wanted to believe what she was saying. but she knows it's not going to be OK. Not anymore. They both know that starting today, everything will change. She leaned over her, and then she cried with her...

--

Kit leaned over the wall. She crept from the corner she was hiding, and watched Calvin and Trixie together. She saw how happy Calvin is in Trixie's arm. She saw the love in his eyes as he looked at her She saw how happy Trixie is for having his heart. Her heart is breaking again at that sight. She was supposed to be in Trixie's place. She was supposed to be in Calvin's arm right now. She should be the one whom he would be lovingly look at, not Trixie.

She could not believe that Calvin would learn to love Trixie, to the point of even forgetting her birthday. She was scared that someday, he will totally forget about her. It's happening now, and it could happen again. If only she have the courage to tell him the truth, to let him know what she feels, but she couldn't bring herself to let him know what's inside her heart. She turned away, and leaned on the wall again. She's unable to bear the sight of that happy couple. She closed her eyes to stop her tears from falling. As she opened her eyes, she stared at the paper crane she's clutching. “In time, I know you will find out that Trixie's lying to you...” she said to herself. She knows there is no use for this paper crane now. As she stood up straight, she dropped the paper crane and headed outside of the building.

--

Kit and Hannah sat in front of the piano. Hannah stared at the ivory keys in front of her. “Now, he found out the truth about her lies…” she heard Kit say. Hannah looked up at her. “What would he do now?” she asked. The tall figure looked away at her, staring at the mirror in front of them. “I’ve always prayed for this day… for him to find out…” Kit said in a low voice. Then she looked at the girl beside her and smiled. “Am I selfish?” Hannah shook her head. “She deserves it after all this time… the truth will come out eventually, and it just so happen that he have to find out about her lies this soon…” she said. Then, she turned her attention to the ivory keys of the piano again. “She does not deserve him…” she said, with a hint of anger in her voice. “We could not deny the fact that he loved her… Maybe, he’s still willing to give her a chance, if only she would tell him the truth this time…” Kit said. Then, Hannah smiled at her. “I doubt if she will tell him the truth. She’s a good liar, after all…”

Hannah pressed the key of the piano, making a loud music inside the room. “Should I tell him now? Do you think he will still find the real paper crane girl?” she asked. “Do you think this is the right time to let him know what you feel for him?” Kit asked. “Time is running out…”
“But, I don’t know how he would react if he found out…”
“Would you just let this moment pass?”
She paused. Then, she looked up at Kit. “How about you? Would you let this moment pass?” Hannah asked. “There’s a big difference between the two of us…” Kit answered. Hannah smiled and shook her head. “No, we’re in the same boat…”she said. “We are both secretly in love with the man we know we can never have…”

--

Kit walked inside the room, and she saw Hannah playing the piano again. She was playing his favorite tune again. She smiled as she walked towards her. The tall figure sat beside her, and the girl looked up at her. “He is looking for you again...” Kit said. Hannah smiled and shook her head. “You should say, 'he is looking for me again'.” she answered. Kit just smiled. “Nevertheless, he is searching for the paper crane girl once more...”
“Then tell him it's you...”
Kit shook her head. “You know very well that I can't...” she said in a low voice. “I can't tell him how I feel...” she said. Hannah could understand how she feels. She's scared that he would reject her when he found out that she is in love with him. Then, Kit looked at her again, smiling. “But you... you can let him know that you love him. You still have the chance...”
“I don't want to lie to him...”
“You're not going to lie... you will tell him the truth. Both of us did this, we're both...”
“Yes, I know...”

Hannah looked at her and smiled. “We're both the ones who leaves the paper crane in his locker. You were the one who leaves the paper crane, while I... I was the one who leaves those love notes...” she said. She looked away from Kit, as she remembered that day when they found out about each other's secret. “Remember that day when you found out I was leaving him those love notes? I was scared... so scared that you would tell him. But then, you told me it's OK... then you hang the paper crane on the handle of his locker...” she said, smiling. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “I found out that you have been secretly loving him, and I told you that I do love him as well. But... but I can't even let him find out...” then she looked at her again. “You have your chance. You have to let him know that you are the paper crane girl...” she said to Hannah. But Hannah just shook her head. “If I tell him that, I will still be lying...” she said, looking up at her. “Because between you and me, you are the real paper crane girl.”

--

“Time is running out for you...” Kit told to the girl standing in front of her. Hannah slowly looked up at her. “I still have time...”
“But until when? When will you tell him what you feel?”
“I just don't think this is the right time...”
Hannah looked up at Kit, and she saw her sighing. She know that she is just concerned about her. The girl in front of her understands exactly how she feels. “I'm sorry...” she said as she lowered her head. “It's just... I'm scared... scared that he will reject me if he finds out...”
“If he found out that I am in love with him, he will reject me. And worse... he will....”

Kit shook her head, shrugging off her thoughts. “But you... you have your chance. He's looking for you, and I know that no matter what, he will accept you, the way he accepted Trixie.” she said to the girl. “It's just not me that he is looking for... he's looking for you as well. Remember, we did this together, to let him that we love him.”
“I know...”
“Then why? Tell me why you want to give me your identity? Why would you like everyone think that I am the paper crane girl, when we both know that it's you?”
Kit smiled and shook her head. “You still don't understand, don't you?” she said in a low voice. “If he found out that I am in love with him, I'll be breaking my promise...”

She looked at her, and then held both of her hands. “I'm giving you this chance. You may never have a chance again once you leave. Take it. Tell him that you love him.” she said. Hannah could only look up at her. She felt sad for this girl in front of her. “Because if you do... it's like I've told him what I feel...”
The girl looked away, her mind is debating whether she will say yes or not. She looked at her again, and saw her eyes pleading at her. She took a deep breath, it can't be helped at all. She have to help her friend, in the same way that she did helped her before. “Please... Hannah?” Left with no choice, Hannah slowly nodded her head.

--

“I know that it was you.... that you are the real paper crane girl...” she heard Danson said. Kit looked away from him. She suddenly felt scared now that Danson knew about her secret. Like her, Danson has been also the one looking for this mystery girl. “You're going to tell Calvin?” she asked. Danson shook his head. “I have no plans of telling him. Because... because I know the complications. I know the promise you made about not falling in love with each other...” he said. Kit looked at him again and nodded her head. “If one of us fell in love with another, we have to end the friendship. Calvin will end our friendship if he found out that I am in love with him. Worst, he... he will avoid me... if he found out....and I can't bear to lose my best friend again because of a broken promise.” Kit said. Danson took her hand and squeezed it. “Calvin will never know. I will keep your secret, I promise you.” he said.

--

“She have been locking herself up in her room since yesterday... not even Jiro could talk to her. I don't know what's happening to her...” Mrs. Jin told Danson as they peeked inside Kit's room. Danson looked up at her mom, and saw how worried she is about her daughter. “Auntie, can I try and talk to her?” he asked. Mrs. Jin smiled and nodded her head. “You can try... anything to get her up from that bed.” she said. Danson smiled at her and nodded his head. He slowly opened the door of her room and walked inside. “Kit...” he called. He saw that she buried herself under a pile of blanket. Upon hearing Danson's voice, Kit slowly peeked outside the blanket. “Dan... son...” she called in a weak voice. He sat beside her, and took off the blanket. “I am here...” he said. Kit sat up, and looked at him. He could see how broken her friend is. He doesn't know what happened to her, or to Calvin, but he could feel something is wrong “Danson...” she said as she looked at him. “Kit... what's wrong? Talk to me...” he said. He saw the teat fall from her eyes again. She began to cry uncontrollably. She reached for him for hug, and Danson held her. “Ssshhhh... I am here now... don't cry now...” he whispered to her. He rubbed her back to make her feel at ease, but he could still hear her sobs. He's now sure more than ever that something have happened to her. “Danson... Calvin...” she said between sobs. “Calvin... he... found out... that I... I am the paper crane girl... he found out that I am in love with him...” He was surprised at what he heard. He felt Kit released herself from the hug, and then she looked up at him. “Danson... he... he left me... Calvin ended our friendship...”

He knew this is bound to happen. He knew Kit would be heartbroken if Calvin ended their friendship. He never thought how broken she is when Calvin left her. She have never seen Kit this sad, this down, this depressed. He wanted to blame Calvin for all the heartache she is feeling right now, but he knows it it was Kit's fault as well that's why she was hurting this way. He pulled the girl in front of her, and gave her a comforting embrace. He wanted to say that everything is going to be all right, but he know it's not the case. A lot of things have happened already between them, and he know by now Calvin already have a change of heart. All that he could do for now is let Kit cry to ease the pain she is feeling right now.