Troubled Hearts

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
A/N: thanks for those who read this fan fic. please do leave your comments, they keep me inspired :)

And by the way, in a few more chapters (hehehe actually i'm not sure how many chapters this will have) this fan fic would come to an end. a good friend suggested that i make 99 chapters for this story, but at the rate of how the story goes, it might not reach 99 chapters, since secrets are already being revealed. so what do you think guys?

anyway, i'm starting on a prequel and sequel of this story (hahaha) so i hope after this fan fic ends, you would support this fan fic's prequel and sequel ok? ok... enough of this lame talk... enjoy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Can we talk?” Celestine said as she approached Joy and Kit that afternoon at the uni. The two paused as soon as they saw her walking towards them. “What is there to talk about?” Joy asked. Celestine took of the shades from her eyes, and looked Joy in the eye. “About Jiro...” she said. Suddenly, Joy felt her heart beating faster upon hearing Celestine utter his name. “W-what about him?” she asked nervously. Then, Celestine looked at Kit. “I want to speak to you in private if you please...” she said, smiling at Kit. Kit raised an eyebrow at Celestine, and folded her arms. “Whatever it is that you have to say to her, you have to tell me as well. After all, Joy and Jiro are my friends.” she snapped at her. Celestine smirked at Kit as she walked towards her. “It's none of your business, dearie. Trust me.” Celestine snapped back at Kit. Kit clenched her fist, stopping herself from hurting the girl in front of her. Joy looked at her, and she could see the anger in her eyes. “Kit... it's OK. I'll see you in a while.” she said to Kit. Kit looked at her worried, but Joy smiled at her. “I'm going to be OK, don't worry. Celestine and I are just going to talk.” she said. Kit nodded her head, and then she left Joy with Celestine. Before she could walk away, she threw a glare at Celestine.

“You have a hell of a for a friend, Joy...” Celestine said as soon as they were alone. “What is it that you want to talk about Jiro?” she asked. Celestine gave her a wicked smile as she circled around Joy. “I'll be straight with you, Joy. I know that you know why I came back here in Taipei.” she began She stopped and then leaned over her. “I want Jiro back, sweety...” she whispered Joy was surprised at what she said. She looked at Joy with her eyes widened. “You two broke up a long time ago!” she said to her. Celestine just smiled at her. “Exactly. Now that I'm back, I'm going to take what is rightfully mine, Joy.” she said sweetly. “I'm with Jiro now, and I'm the one he loves.” Joy said. She clenched her fist, trying her best not to burst out in front of her. “The one he loves, huh?” Celestine said. She let out another wicked smile at her. “I guess you stll have not heard about Tin...”
“I know Tin.”
“So you know the story?”
“Tin is Jiro's first love.”
“Tin is Jiro's first and only love, sweety.”
“He said he have forgotten about what he feels for Tin because he's with now...”
“And you fell for it?”

Joy paused, and turned her gaze away from Celestine. Celestine let out a smirk as she folded her arms. “Jiro told me the very same thing when we got together. I heard he told it to several other girls that he dated. In the end, his love for Tin always win, and he ends up breaking up with those girls, especially me.” she said. “Nothing you could say to change what I feel for him...” Joy said in a low voice. She was still avoiding Celestine's eyes. “Did you even bothered to ask him what he said to me when we broke up? Did he even told you the real reason why after two years of being together, he still chose to break my heart?” Celestine asked. Joy lowered her head, unable to answer her question. “He said that he realized the he could never love me as much as he loved Tin. That he felt guilty that while he's with me, he could not love me whole-heartedly because his heart still belongs to her.” Joy looked at Celestine again, trying her best to control her anger. “Whatever it is, I know it's all in the past. Jiro is with me now. He chose to love me, so better leave us alone.” she said. Celestine still did not give up. “If I wasn't able to have his heart, then you will never have his. After all, the two of us have been living in Tin's shadow. Jiro could only love her and only her. He could never love me, then he could never love you. I'll do everything to take him away from you. Everything, Joy. Everything.”

--

“Oh my God!” Kit exclaimed as he went down the stairs. From the den, she saw her cousin Ariel standing and smiling at her. “Katie!” Ariel said. “Ariel!” Kit shouted. Kit rushed down the stairs, and gave her a hug. “Oh my God... look at you! You're still as pretty as ever!” Kit said. Ariel just smiled at her. “So, are you back here in Taiwan for good?” she asked. Ariel shook her head. “I just came back for my grandma's wedding. Remember Grandma Esther from my dad's side? She's getting married again, and guess who...” Ariel said. Kit gave her cousin a confused look. “Who?” she asked. “Uncle Sam!” Ariel said. Kit was surprised at what she said. “You mean to say...”
“Remember the fairy tale that Uncle Sam always tells us? It turns out that the princess he was talking about is my grandma. It was a real story after all.”

Kit could not believe what her cousin told her. “Really?” she asked. Ariel nodded her head. “You guys are invited, OK? Don't forget to bring Calvin. Uncle Sam wants to see him. You know how fond he is with that guy...” Ariel said. “Of course. Actually, you can tell him now.” Kit said as she pointed at Ariel's back. Calvin entered the den, and behind him, Danson and Chun followed him. “Ariel!” Calvin said as he gave her a big hug. Ariel smiled at him. “Long time no see, Calvin.” she said. “Finally you're back from Singapore?” he asked. Ariel shook her head. “Just came back for Grandma Esther's wedding two weeks from now.” she said. Then she looked over at the two guys behind him. “And they are...” she asked. Calvin turned to the two. “This is Danson...” he said pointing at him. Danson smiled at her and then shook her hand. Calvin looked at Chun and pointed at him. “And this is...” before Calvin could introduce him, Chun, who looked obviously smitten by Ariel, extended his hand to her. “Wu Ji Chun is my name, L-O-V-E is my game...” Chun said. Calvin, Kit and Danson tried their best not to laugh at Chun's corny lines, but Ariel doesn't seemed to be amused at her. “Ow-key...” she said as she took his hand.

Ariel turned to Kit and gave him a gave her a disgusted look. “Please don't tell me this is the Wu Chun that you had a crush on during high school.” she said. Kit laughed and nodded her head. “The one and only!” Chun said. Ariel rolled her eyes at him, totallt ignoring him as she turned to Kit again. “So, did you and Calvin already hooked up?” she asked. Kit and Calvin were surprised at her question. “No!” they both exclaimed in unison. “OK... OK... I get it. You both don't have to react violently, OK?” Ariel said. Meanwhile, Danson and Chun were laughing secretly at the BFF's reaction. “So, you mean to say, you don't have a boyfriend yet?” Ariel asked Kit. Then, she turned to Calvin. “And you didn't have a girlfriend yet?” she asked. Calvin smiled at her. “We just broke up.” he said. “Oh... I'm sorry to hear that...”
“Don't worry, Ariel. I'm OK now. Thanks to Kit.”
Then, he looked at Kit and smiled at her. Ariel glanced at Kit, and saw her cousin blushing. “Cuz, please don't tell me you're dating this dork over here.” she said, pointing at Chun. “Wei! I'm not a dork!” Chun said to her, but Ariel just ignored him. Kit smiled and shook her head. “Nah. Not seeing anyone at the moment.” she said. Ariel put her hand on her waist as she sighed. “Please don't tell me you're still waiting for that Jay, Cuz...” she said. Kit looked away from her, and then she glanced at Calvin. How can she explain to her cousin that she have fallen in love with her best friend, but she could not admit it to him because of a promise they made long ago. “Actually, I'm still waiting for the right guy...” she lied.

--

Joy walked absent-mindedly through the hall. Her conversation with Celestine two days ago is still on her mind. She was getting worried about what she would do to steal Jiro from her, as if it's not enough that she have to compete with Jiro's first love. She paused, and sighed. “What should I do now?” she thought. She doesn't want to lose Jiro. If she would lose him, she would rather see him with Tin rather than with Celestine, because she know Jiro would be more happy with Tin than be with her, but can she really bear to see the man she loves with another?

She shook her head, and began to walk again. She was too spaced out, that she bumped into someone. “Sorry...” she said. She looked up and saw Calvin smiling at her. “I'm OK... are you?” he asked. Joy forced a smile and nodded her head. Calvin scratched his chin as she looked at her closely. “You don't seem OK to me... you and Jiro had a fight?” he asked. Joy shook her head. “No... maybe I'm just thinking about the lesson today...” she said. Calvin did not believe her excuse. She can't be possibly be thinking about the lessons as it's only the first week of classes. “Come on, Joy... I know you're worrying about something, and I know it's not about any of your subjects. You can tell me... don't you trust me?” he asked. “It's not that, Calvin... I just don't want to talk about it. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid about things, and...” then, she looked up at him and gave him a faint smile. “I'll talk about it some other time, OK?” she said. Calvin nodded his head. “Just always remember, if you need someone to talk to, I'm just here.” he said. Joy smiled and nodded his head.

--

Jiro walked over the parking lot, when a silver car stopped in front of him. He stopped, and looked at it as the window rolled off. He saw Celestine at the passenger seat. “Hey, Jiro!” she said to him. Jiro smiled at her. “Hey, what are you doing here?” he asked. “I was hoping to catch you here. Are your classes over?” she asked. Jiro nodded his head. “I'm waiting for Joy. We're going out for dinner tonight...” he said. “What time does her classes end?”
“In an hour.”
“Great! Would you like to have coffee with me?

Jiro closed his eyes and sighed. He knows where this is heading to. He knows that Celestine is douing her best to win him back. “Celestine, I'm sorry. I promised Joy that I would wait for her...” he said. Celestine gave him a pout. “Come on, Jiro... for old times' sake? I'll be going back to Manila in three weeks' time, and I really want to spend some time with you...” she said. “Cel... you have to understand... I'm with Joy now. Things between us aren't what it used to be anymore...” he said. “Then, can't we be friends? You said when we broke up that we could still be friends...” she said. Jiro sighed again, and looked away from her. “Please, Jiro? Pretty please with sugar on top? We won't take long, I promise...” Celestine said in her sweetest tone. Jiro sighed and nodded his head. “Fine, I'll go with you...” he said. Then, he opened the door if the passenger seat of her car, and Celestine sped her car away.

--

At the Jin's residence that afternoon...

Kit smiled as Ariel handed her the pink shell necklace. “Thanks, Cuz!” she said as she took it. “Gee, I really wonder why you lost your necklace, and why you wanted mine?” Ariel said. Kit just shrugged her shoulder as she stared at the necklace. “I didn't lose it. I gave it to Jay.” she said. “Yeah, your prince charming. The guy who promised to meet you at the beach 10 years ago, but stood you up every summer...” she said, rolling her eyes at her cousin. “Cuz, get over it. It's so history!”
“I can't, Ariel. You know that Jay will always be special to me...”
“Even though he never came back?”
“Even if he never came back.”
Ariel sighed as she looked at her cousin. “What's with that Jay anyway? You know, I've always been thinking that you and Calvin would be a better pair rather than that monkey boy.” she said. Kit paused upon hearing Calvin's name. She badly wanted to tell Ariel about her secret feelings towards Calvin, but she knows that the more people knew about her secret, the more possibility that Calvin would find out about it. “I only see Calvin as a brother.” she lied. “Besides, if we got together, it's like engaging in , yuck. Imagine you and your twin kissing...” she said. Ariel made a face a what she said. “I'm so not having this conversation...” she said. Kit just laughed at her disgusted expression.

“But come to think of it... maybe Jay came back after all...” Ariel said. Kit paused, and looked at her cousin, wondering what she was talking about. “What do you mean?” she asked. “Well, Uncle Sam told me about this guy who comes to the beach once in a while. I think one time he heard him shout the name Tin... he gave you the name Tin, right?” Ariel asked. Kit slowly nodded her head. Kit was stunned at what Ariel said. Maybe Jay is looking for her all this time. After three summers of waiting for him, she decided to give up on him, and since then, she stopped going to the resort for a vacation. “Do you think it's Jay?” she asked. Ariel shrugged her shoulder. “We wouldn't know it's him if he have your necklace.” she said. “But how would that be possible? Somebody else might have the necklace that I have...” Kit said. Ariel smiled and shook her head. “Well, according to Uncle Sam...” she said. “There were only three pink shell necklaces like that. The first one was the one grandma gave him, the second is that necklace you are holding, and the third and last one was the necklace you gave Jay.”

--

Jiro looked at his watch, then he looked outside the window of the coffee shop. Joy's classes have end a few minutes, and he's still stuck here with his ex-girlfriend. She's probably waiting for him. Jiro turned to his side, and saw Celestine coming up to him. “Celestine, I really have to go. Joy would be waiting for me.” he said. Celestine sighed as he frowned at him. “Come on, just a few more minutes, please?” she asked. Jiro shook his head. “I'm really sorry, Celestine. I promised Joy we'll be going out tonight.” he said. “Can't you stay a little bit more? Hang out with me?”
“I can't Celestine...”
“I will only be here for a few more weeks. All I'm asking is for you to spend more time with me...”

Jiro closed his eyes as he sighed. It's difficult to deal with Celestine, he knows that. She won't stop until she gets what she wants. “Cel... you have to understand. Joy is my girlfriend now, and she will always be my priority.” he said. He stood up from his seat and turned around to leave. Celestine let out a smirk as she watched him. “Will she always be the one? What if Tin came back one day?” she asked. After hearing that question, Jiro paused. Celestine knows to well what would make Jiro pause for a while. “Will she still be your priority once you see Tin again? Or, will you dump Joy the way that you dumped me?” she asked. This time, Jiro turned around to face her. “I love Joy. You have to understand that, Celestine...” he said. Celestine turned to smile at him. “Oh, I understand perfectly.” she said. She leaned over the table as she looked at him. “And I understand what's inside your heart. It will always be Tin, I know... will Joy ever understand that?” she asked. Jiro shook his head in frustration. “What are you trying to do, Celestine? If you're doing this to win me back, I'm sorry. I can't go back to you. I have a girl who loves me as much as I love her, who understood me and accepted my past. She is willing to help me forget Tin, something that you were not able to do while we were together...” he said. He saw the smile on her face disappear as she stood up from her seat. “So this is what it's all about...” she said in a low voice. She took a step towards him. “You got together with her because she's much better than me. Or is it because you see Tin in her?” she said. Jiro turned his eyes away from him. “You know what you are, Jiro Wang? You are selfish. I pity Joy because he fell in love with a very selfish man. Most of all, I pity her, because she loved a man who could never move on...” she said. She threw one last glance at Jiro, and then she walked out of the restaurant.

Jiro watched as Celestine walked out on him. She is right, and he is wrong. He is a selfish man, and he could not move on. In the end, he only hurt Joy and Celestine because of it.

--

Calvin walked towards her car at the parking lot that late afternoon, and he saw Joy sitting at the waiting area. She was alone, and he assumed that he's waiting for Jiro. He decided to walk towards her to keep her company. “Waiting for your boyfriend?” he asked as he approached her. Joy looked up at him and smiled. She moved over to give Calvin a space at the bench. “Were supposed to go out on a date tonight... you know, pre-anniversary date...” she said, smiling at her. Then, Calvin saw the smile disappear from her face slowly. “Guess he forgot our date...” she said in a low voice. “Maybe he's caught up with something. You know your boyfriend's school activities... it's really quite a handful.” he said. Joy shook her head. “He's no where to be found in school. I tried calling him, but he's not answering my call...” she said. “Maybe he's preparing a surprise for you. I know your anniversary is coming up, and maybe he's preparing something special.” Calvin said. Joy smiled and nodded her head. “I really hope so...” she said in a low voice.

Joy turned her gaze away from Calvin. “You know, we girls have this sort of a radar... gut feel, you call it. We could sense if something is wrong... and most of the time, the gut feel is correct...” she said. Calvin gave her a confused look. “So, you're saying, you have this gut feel about Jiro? Cheating or something?” he asked. Joy looked at him and shrugged her shoulder. “I don't know... but what I know something is not right. Something is not going as it is. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid again...” she said. “You just have to trust Jiro. I don't think he would do something to break your heart.”
“I trust him. I always trust him. I just don't trust the things that would happen in the future...”
“Whatever it is that would happen in the future, maybe there's a reason for it. You just have to be brave to face them...”
Joy shook her head. “I don't think I'll be brave if I lose Jiro. I don't want to lose him. I'm not yet ready... not now, not even tomorrow...” she said. Calvin put his arm around her as she looked at him. He felt envy at Jiro because he was loved by Joy. “You really him, huh?” he asked. Joy nodded her head. “Jiros a lucky guy to have you. I know a lot of guys who would love you to be their girlfriend.” he said to her. “Including me...” he added silently. At that moment with Joy in her arms, all of his feelings for her suddenly came back. He felt like he wanted to protect Joy from all the hurt, and kiss away all of her fears, but he knows that it's wrong, as she is already his friend's girl. “Well, I know a lot of girls who's willing to be your girlfriend...” Joy said. Calvin just smiled at what she said. “Too bad, the girl I like doesn't seem to like me...” he said. Joy looked up at him and smiled. “Everyone likes you, Calvin. Everyone does. It's not that hard to fall for someone like you, you don't need to try harder...” she said. Then, Calvin looked into her eyes. He smiled lovingly at her. “But I think I should try harder for this girl... hey want a ride? I can give you a lift home... you must be really tired.” he said. Joy smiled and nodded his head. They stood up and went up to his car. After a while, they were already leaving the school premises.

Just then, Jiro finally came. He looked around the parking lot, and found it empty. “I'm too late...” he thought. Joy have gone home already, and for the first time, he broke a promise to her.

--
That night, Kit could not sleep. She sat on her bed as she stared on the shell necklace her cousin gave her. She could still remember that day when she and Jay parted ways, and when she gave him her shell necklace. “I'm giving this to you so that you won't forget me, and so that you'll always remember your promise. We'll meet here again next year, OK?” she remembered the exact words she told Jay. She remembered his smile as he nodded his head.

“Why didn't you came back that summer, Jay? Why didn't you keep your promise?” she asked. She clutched the necklace on her hand as she laid down on her bed. “Now, you came back for me, and you are too late. My feelings are never the same for you. Did you know that I've fallen in love with my best friend? It could have been you whom I'm loving right now... if only you came back for me. Did you know that I'm suffering now because of that broken promise? Calvin has always been there for me all throughout the summers that I'm waiting for you. He consoled me whenever I lose hope in you. He made me smile when I'm about to cry after realizing that you're not coming back. I fell in love with my best friend, and I broke my promise to him...” she said silently. She doesn't want to blame Jay, after all he is still his first love. She knew at that instant that he smiled at her, that he have fallen in love with Jay, and she could feel that he feels the same way for her. But he never came back, and all the love she had for him were turned to Calvin.

--

That night, Jiro could not sleep as well. He sat up on his bed, and took the shell necklace from his side table. “Tin...” he thought as he stared at the necklace. “I know I am selfish, and I know I have made you wait for a long time. Will you ever forgive me?” he thought. Their situation is like the story that Uncle Sam told them years ago, about the princess and the prince and the pink shell necklace. He knew at that moment that he saw Tin that he have fallen in love with her, and he knows that Tin feels the same way towards him. He badly wanted to go to her the next summer, but a lot of things have happened that's why he never came back. On the day he was supposed to go back to the resort, he found himself on the plane going to Singapore. There were several summers that he planned to go back to Taiwan, but he couldn't. He have made Tin wait for a long time, and he could not blame her if he got tired of waiting.

He tried to let go of her thought several times, tried to move on, but he just couldn't. He knows that he need a closure with Tin so that he could finally move on. He looked at the shell necklace again as he laid down on his bed. “Tin... where are you? I have to find you...” he thought. He closed his eyes, and after a while, he drifted into a dream...

--

Jiro found himself walking towards the beach. At the far end, he saw a girl picking up sea shells on the shore. Jiro smiled as he looked at her, as he recognized who she is. “Tin?” he called. He saw the girl look up at him and smiled. He immediately rushed to her, but as soon as he got near, she disappeared. He looked around the beach to find her, but she was nowhere in sight. “Tin!” he called desperately. “Tin!” he called again. But there was no answer.

--

Kit found herself by the shore. At her foot, she saw a blue sea shell. She smiled as she picked it up. As she looked up, he saw a man rushing up to him. She recognized who he is, and she smiled as she saw her. “Jay?” he called. She waited for him to come near him, but before he could, he vanished. “Jay!” she called desperately. “Jay! Don't leave me again! I've waited a long time for you!” she said. Then, she looked back, and she saw a familiar figure walking towards him. She was surprised to see him, and he could tell that he is as surprised as she is. “Jiro?”

--

Jiro looked in front of him, as he heard someone call her. Again, he saw the girl. “Jay! Don't leave me again! I've waited a long time for you!” he heard her shout. He walked towards her, and reached for her. As he got near her, she looked back at him. He was just as surprised as she is when he found out who she is. “Kit?”

--

Kit slowly opened her eyes after waking up from her dream. She sat up on her bed, wondering why she had that dream. “Jiro is Jay?” she thought.

--

Jiro slowly opened his eyes after waking up from his dream. He could not believe what he dreamed of, if that is what is subconscious mind is telling him. “Kit is Tin?” he thought.