Best Friend Story

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
A/N: thanks for all those who always comment and read my story. Keep those comments coming in ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danson could not believe what he saw. He can't believe that the paper crane girl is one of them all these time. He should've known that it was her, all this time. “The paper crane girl...” he said to himself. “Its...”

--

“Chun!” Joy shouted. Chun flinched as she shouted in his ear. “It's either you tell me where the hell my boyfriend is, or I will continue to shout in your ear!” she shouted. Kit was trying to top Joy from attacking Chun. Chun looked up at her, and they both could tell he is in pain because of Joy's shouting. “I told you, I don't know where he is? Why are you asking me? Do I look like his baby sitter?” he said in an annoyed tone. Joy glared at Chun again. “Don't lie to me. I know that you know where my boyfriend is, so better speak up!” she shouted at him again. Chun looked at Kit, pleading her from stopping Joy from questioning him. “I really don't know, Joy...”
“I won't let you off the hook until you tell me. Don't you know that your nose grows longer whenever you lie?”

Kit was trying to suppress her laughter as she looked at Chun's pleading expression. “Wei... what happened between you and Jiro? Maybe Chun really didn't know where Jiro is...” she said to Joy. Joy looked at Kit and became hysterical again. “He doesn't know? He doesn't know?! He knows where Jiro is!” she shouted again. “Wait, wait, wait.... why are you being like that? Did the two of you have a fight?” Kit asked. Joy shook her head. “But there will be if I found out that he met up with that Abby, the girl he flirted with during our vacation!” she said. Chun looked up at Joy, confused with what she was saying. “Abby? He'll be meeting up with Abby?” he asked. Joy raised an eyebrow at him. “He is! I heard the two of you talking. He asked you to cover for him while he's going at Abby's!” Joy said. “Wait, what I know is that he is going to...”

“Abby's Flower Shop” They heard someone say. They all looked back and saw Jiro walking towards them. Joy was giving him a death glare, but her expression changed when he saw that he was holding a bouquet of flowers. “I told Chun to cover for me at our class while I go to Abby's Flower Shop to get you this.” he said. Joy looked at the flowers and then looked up at Jiro again. From what she knows, if a guy gives you a flower for no reason, it means that he did something wrong and he's guilty about it. “Jiro Wang, did you do something behind my back?” Joy asked. Jiro just chuckled at her. “I didn't silly girl. Didn't you remember what day is today?” he asked. This made Joy more confused. She looked at Kit, and she just smiled at her, shrugging her shoulder. “I... I don't know...” she admitted. “A year ago today, I realized that I am in love with you, Joy Lin.” he said. Joy blushed as he took the flowers from him. “I thought you'll be meeting up with that girl...” she said, pouting at him. Jiro smiled at her and then pinched her cheeks. “I am not... you know I won't ever do it. I promised, remember? You're the only girl that I love, and no one could ever replace you.” he said. Joy smiled at him, and then gave him a hug. “I love you, hunny...” she said. “I love you too.” Jiro said. He looked at her, and then kissed her on the lips.

“Awww... how sweet...” Kit said dreamily. Chun just rolled his eyes at them. “Yeah, it's so sweet especially when Joy beats you up.” he said. Joy looked back at Chun and smiled. “I'm sorry, Chun...” she said. “Yeah, yeah... I accept it or your boyfriend will beat me up.” he said. The two lovers just laughed at him. Just then, Hannah came. She saw the flowers that Jiro have given to Joy. “Oh, so you finally got the flowers, huh?” she asked Jiro. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. “It was a pretty far place, but they have the prettiest flowers there. Thanks for recommending that shop to me.” he said. Then, Danson passed by them. “Hey, Dannie boy!” Chun called. Danson stopped at them, and smiled at them. “Oh, hey guys!” he said. Then, he saw Kit and Hannah. Upon seeing them, the smile on his face disappeared. “Uhmmm... I'll see you guys around.” he said as he walked away from his friends. They all noticed the change in his expression upon seeing Kit and Hannah, and how he avoided the two girls. “Uh, Danson, wait up for me!” Chun said as he followed him. The four just looked at each other, wondering what happened to Danson.

--

Calvin smiled as soon as he saw Kit by her locker. He immediately rushed to her. “Hey, Kit!” he said. Kit looked at him and smiled. “Wow, you sure are in a good mood today. Let me guess, paper crane girl left you another paper crane and love notes?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “No wonder...” she said. “Hey, are you busy?” he asked. Kit shook her head. “I'm done with my reports, so I guess I'm free today.” she said. “Good. Can you go with me somewhere? Let's skip some of our classes...” he said. Kit was wondering what's happening to her best friend. He seems to be very happy today, and as a straight A student, he even asked her to skip classes with her. “What's wrong with you?” she asked. “What do you mean?”
“You're extra cheerful today, and you want to skip classes when we both that this week is one of the hell weeks we have here in school...”
Calvin just smiled at him, and then held her hand. “Trust me. You'll find out.” he said. He winked at her, and then he pulled her away.

That afternoon, Calvin brought Kit to the playground near their house. This is where they used to play as kids. “What are we doing here?” Kit asked him, giving him a confused look. “Well, I just realized that a lot of things have happened these past few months, and maybe we could have fun for a while, even for just today...” Calvin said. “And why did you brought me to this park?” she asked. Calvin paused, and then smiled at her. “I just want to reminisce our happy times together.” he said. He looked away at her, and then he pointed at the swing at the far corner of the playground. “Remember that swing?” he asked him. He looked at her again, and saw her nodding her head. “How can I forget. That's where we first met.”
“You're right. I was new in the neighborhood that time. I saw you sitting at that swing, crying. I asked you what' wrong, and you said someone bullied you and took your lollipop and pulled your pig tails. I can still remember how you looked that day. You were so disheveled.”
“Then, the bullies came back, and you beat the hell out of them for me. You even threatened them, you told them not to bully your best friend anymore”
Calvin smiled and nodded his head. “Since then, I promised myself to take care of you always. I will be your best friend until the end. You were grateful to me that day, that you even gave me your most prized possession...”

He took a teddy bear from his bag, and showed it to her. Kit was so happy to see that teddy bear. “QQ!” she said in excitement. She looked up at him, surprised at what he have shown him. “You kept QQ all this time?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “QQ is precious to me, as precious as our friendship that's why I kept him.” he said. He handed QQ to her. “I'm giving this back to you, as it's your turn to take care of QQ. She will always represent our friendship, and my promise to you that no matter what, I will always be here for you.” he said. Kit took QQ from his hand, and then looked up at him and smiled. Then, Calvin pulled her to him and hugged her tight. “This time, I will keep my promise. I will always trust and believe in you. Nothing could ever come between us again. Always remember that no matter what happens, you will always me my best friend. I hope that you would promise me the same thing.” he said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “No more broken promises this time?” she asked. Calvin raised his right hand. “Cross my heart, hope to die.” he said. Kit smiled at her best friend, and then gave him a hug.

--

Soccer field.

“Man, what's wrong with you?” Chun asked Danson, who has been quiet all this time. It seems like his friend is in his deep thoughts. Then, Danson looked at Chun. “Can I ask you something serious this time?” he asked. Chun nodded his head. “What if.. what if you accidentally found out about your friend's secret... would you let your friend know that you already know all about it?” he asked. “Why would you tell your friend that you know about her secret, unless you want to blackmail your friend?” Chun said. Danson shook his head. “Of course, I have no plan to blackmail my friend.” he said. “So, how deep and how dark is your friend's secret?” Chun asked. Danson didn't answer his question. Instead, he looked away from him. “OK, I won't ask anymore if you don't want to talk about it. Why are you being worried about your friend's secret anyway?” Chun asked again. Danson looked back at him, giving him a glare. “Wei... I thought you're not going to ask anymore?” he said. “Fine, fine... forget that I asked.” Chun said.

Danson was silent again, and Chun is getting bored with him. “Aiyo, Dannie boy! Don't just be silent, OK?” he said. “Can you tell me what's wrong? I observed you a while ago, and you ignored Kit and Hannah. Did the three of you fought?” he asked again. “Maybe I'm just not in the mood...” Danson said. “Wei, I could understand if you ignore Kit, but Hannah? You guys are pretty close. Did something happened between the two of you?” Chun asked again. Danson just shook her head. Chun sighed and leaned back. “Fine, don't answer me. I think I saw Hannah on the verge of tears when you left ignoring her...” he said. Danson looked at Chun, shocked at what he said. “Hannah cried when I ignored her?” he asked. Chun smiled and nodded his head. “If the two of you fought, you guys should make up, OK?” he said. Then, Danson stood up from his seat. He decided to look for Hannah and apologize to her for acting up a while ago. He didn't mean to ignore or avoid her a while ago. Before he could walk away, Chun called him again. “Wei, where are you going?” he shouted at him. Danson paused and look back at him. “I'm going to find Hannah.” he said, then he went on his way. Chun smiled to himself as he watched his friend leave. “I knew it. You can't resist Hannah...” he said to himself.

“Hannah!” she heard someone call her. She looked back and saw Danson running up to him. “Danson?” she called. Danson stopped in front of her, then he pulled her towards him and hugged her. “I'm sorry... I'm sorry if I kept on avoiding you today...” he said to her. Hannah smiled to herself as she hug him back. “You worried me... you kept me thinking what I did wrong to you....” she said. Danson let her go, and smiled as he shook her head. “Maybe... maybe I'm just not in the moon.” he said as he let her go. “You forgive me, don't you?” he asked, staring into her eyes. Hannah smiled and nodded her head. “Of course I do...” she said. Danson sighed with relief upon hearing that. “But...” she continued. “You have to find Kit and apologize to her as well.”

--

Her name is Celestine Xiu
She is Jiro's ex-girlfriend.
And she is out to get back what Joy have taken away from her.

She stepped out of her car, and took her shades off. She looked at the building in front of her, and smiled. It has been almost a year since she last set foot in Taiwan, and now she's back for good. Now that she's back, she will have her revenge on the girl who caused her heart break. As she turned her eyes away, she saw Jiro and Joy was walking out of the building, smiling and laughing with each other. She could see how happy Jiro is with Joy, and this maddened her. Jiro's smile is hers, not Joy's. Now that she's back, she would do everything to have him back, even if it means that she have to break Joy's heart.

She wore a fake smile, and walked towards them. “Jiro!” she called. The two stopped, and were surprised to see Celestine. Joy could feel her heart beating faster as she comes nearer to them. Jiro looked at his girlfriend, and saw the fear in her eyes. He held her hand tight, and squeezed it, assuring her that everything is under control. Christine stood in front of Jiro, and then she reached up to him and kissed him on the cheek. Joy turned away as she did that. “How are you, Jiro dear?” she said sweetly. “I'm OK. So, you're back from Manila, huh?” he said. Celestine nodded her head. “I believe you already met my girlfriend, Joy?” he said, looking at Joy. He smiled at her and squeezed her hand. Celestine stared at their hands for a while, and then looked at Joy fiercely. “Of course, I know Joy. We already met.” she said. Then, she smiled at Joy and then kissed her on the cheek, “I'm so glad to see you again, Joy!” she said. Joy just nodded her head. “Yeah, me too...” she said. Then, Celestine turned to Jiro again, totally ignoring Joy. “I just dropped by your school to see you. I'll see you around, OK?” she said to Jiro.. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. They watched her as she walked towards her car and leave.

As Jiro looked at his girlfriend, she saw the worried look in her face. “Hun, anything wrong?” he asked. Joy looked up at him and shook her head. “Everything's OK...” she said, smiling at him. But at the back of her mind, she felt that everything will not be OK, especially now that Celestine's back. She could feel that she's back to steal Jiro from her.

--

Kit and Calvin sat on the bench, tired from playing tag and running around the playground. “God, I felt like a kid again...” Kit said as she pants. “Well, you sure still ran fast, Kit!” Calvin said. Kit smiled proudly at her best friend. “Of course, I still do.” she said. Calvin just laughed at her. They leaned on the bench, as they saw two kids playing on the sand box. One is a little girl, and the other is a little boy. “Hey, look at them...” Calvin said, pointing at the kids. “You think they're best friends, like us?” he asked her. Kit nodded her head. “Can you see how the little boy helped the little girl to create the sand doll?” she asked him. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. They watched the two kids as the played. The little boy, who seemed to be bored with what they were doing, decided to play a joke on the little girl and threw dirt on her dress. The little girl let out a toothy smile, and got back on the little boy and threw dirt on his shirt. Before they knew it, they were running around the sand box, both of them wanted to get back at each other.

Kit laughed as she watched the kids. They somehow reminded her of herself and Calvin when they were little. “Do you think those two kids would be like us when they grow up?” Kit asked Calvin. “I guess they will be. As long as they keep their promises to each other, they will be friends for life.” he answered. Kit smiled at what he said. “Do you think... do you think those kids will fall in love with each other when they grow up?” she asked unconsciously. Calvin just shrugged his shoulder. “I don't know. Maybe, they will, maybe they will just stay friends just like us.” he said. “What if... what if the little girl eventually fell in love with the little boy, and the little boy only wants them to be friends? Do you think the little girl would be able to accept that?” she asked again. Calvin did not answer her question. He looked at her, getting a little suspicious of her questions. “Kit... why are you suddenly asking these kind of questions? Are you -” Kit became wary of what she was saying, she looked up at Calvin and shook her head. “No... I mean, there are times that two best friends would fall in love with each other, right? I mean, there are those who are unlike us... who decided to be just friends.” she said to him. Calvin smiled and sighed with relief. “For one second, you scared me...” he said. “I could never fall in love with you. I promised, and I told you there won't be any broken promises anymore.” Kit said. She turned her eyes on the kids again, and smiled. “One way or another, one of the best friends would fall in love with another. Sadly, the other one would want nothing more than friendship. It's because the other best friend would only have it's eye on another girl... or another boy. That's the sad thing about it, and that would make the other best friend's heart break.” she said. She looked up at Calvin and saw him smiling at her. “And I'm glad that we didn't fell in love with each other. It would really get complicated if one of us fell in love, right?” he said. Kit paused, and then slowly nodded her head. “Yeah...” she said. “I'm glad we promised not to fall in love with one another,”

--

But, what if two friends fell in love with each other, but they were to blindly in love with another person that they don't want to admit how they feel?

--

“What are we doing here?” Hannah asked Danson as he pulled her to the soccer field. It was late afternoon, and they were the only persons left in the uni. “Trust me...” Danson replied. Before she knew it, they were already at the center of the soccer field. “OK, can you now tell me what are we doing here?” she asked as soon as Danson let go of her hand. “We're here to practice.” he said. Hannah gave him a confused look. “Practice what?” she asked. “Practice our love confessions...” Hannah burst out laughing after hearing what he said. “Wei, this is really a good idea. Come on, at least you would know what to say to Calvin when you confess to him, and I would know what to do with Kit when I confess to her.” Danson said. Hannah stopped laughing, and then looked at him. “Do we really have to practice?” she asked. Danson put his hand on his waist, and raised an eyebrow at her. “Why, are you confident enough to tell Calvin what you feel?” he snapped back. Hannah paused and shook her head. “See, that's why we have to practice...” Danson said. “Fine, fine. We'll practice. You start first, since this is all your idea. I'll act as Kit.” she said.

Danson walked towards her, and stared into her eyes. He imagined that the girl standing in front of him is Kit. “Kit...” he began. “Since the first day I saw you, I have fallen in love with you. I kept it to myself because I enjoy our company, and I'm scared that I will lose our friendship... but I'm willing to risk everything now. Every time I see you, every time that I'm with you, I just kept on falling in love with you. I'm telling you this now, because I want to end our friendship, and bring it to the next level. Kit... will you give me a space in your heart?” he said. Hannah stared into his eyes, and she could see his sincerity as he speaks. “Yes...” she said. She got carried away by their so-called practice. Then, Hannah realized just what he said. “I mean, yes. That's OK, not bad... except for the next level part.” she said as she turned away from him. “Why? What's wrong with that?” Danson asked. “Can you be more direct? Tell her instead. 'I'm telling you this because I want to end our friendship and be more than friends'. That's it.” she said. Danson smiled and nodded her head. “OK, I'll bear that in mind. This is just a practice, so thanks for the input. Now it's your turn. Just imagine I'm Calvin.” Danson said.

Hannah composed herself, then she looked Danson in his eyes. “Calvin... I know there are a lot of girls that were vying for your love and attention, and I'm one of them. I've had a huge crush on you since the day I laid my eyes on you. I wanted to get close to you, but with all the girls around you, I couldn't have my chance. I'm so glad when you began to talk to me, and became my friend, because I know I will finally have my chance with you, to tell you what I feel. Calvin... I love you...” she said. She looked up at Danson, and saw him staring into her eyes. “But... I think I am falling for...” she thought. Then she shook her head to shrug off that thought. “What am I thinking. I like Calvin, not Danson!” she thought. “I love -” she heard Danson muttered. She looked up at him, and saw him shaking his head. “What the hell am I doing? Why am I telling Hannah that I love her? I love Kit, and she's obviously in love with Calvin.” he thought.

Then he heard Hannah laugh nervously. “My line's too corny right? I mean, I don't think Calvin would be moved by that... I think he'll turn me down...” she said. Danson just smiled at her. “My lines as well. I think Kit will reject me if I would say that to her. I think I should change it.” he said. Then, he looked at Hannah again. She was smiling at him. Then, he did the unexpected. He pulled Hannah towards him, and locked her into his arms.