Happy Anniversary

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
A girl,
A boy,
His first love,
His past love,
Her secret admirer,
His would-be rival
Her heartache
And a love story that will come to an end...

--

The girl who loves him

--

Joy smiled as she crossed out the date on her pocket calendar. Just three more days, and it will be their anniversary. She knows Jiro have been preparing a surprise for her, and though she could not make him tell what he's planning for their anniversary, she knows he's going to make it a special and memorable night. She picked up the phone from her bag, and stared at it's wallpaper. It was their first picture, which they took exactly a month ago. When they got together, many have thought that they will not last, since during their first year in college, Jiro had this reputation of dating a lot of girls. But, they proved them all wrong. For the past one year, Jiro remained faithful to her. Since they got together, he never looked at any other girls. As for her side, a lot of guys were trying to break them apart simply because they were envy of Jiro, being able to capture the heart of one of the school's prettiest girls.

“Hey, Joy!” she heard someone call. She looked up, and saw Calvin walking up to her. “Hey, Calvin! Where's Kit?” she asked. “She had to be absent today. She have to go with her cousin at the resort to prepare a little for their grandma's wedding next Saturday...” Calvin explained. He took a seat beside her, and then, he noticed that he sighed. “I thought she'll be here... I was actually planning to ask her to go to the mall with me to buy a dress for this coming Saturday...” she said. “Oh, I totally forgot! The big day is on Saturday, right?” he asked. Joy smiled and nodded her head. “You must be really excited...”
“Of course I am. I cant believe me and Jiro were together for a year now. I just hope our relationship will last...”
“Of course you two will last. I could see that he loves you so much, and I know that you do too...”

Then, Joy looked away from Calvin, her smile slowly faded from her face. “I don't know, Cal... it's just that I'm starting to get scared. I... I don't feel secure now...” she said. Calvin looked at her, confused at what she is saying. “This has something to do with that gut feel of yours?” he asked. Joy nodded her head. “Partly, yes. I don't know... it's just that I'm too scared to lose Jiro. You know how much I love him...” she said. Calvin nodded his head, and he continued to listen to her. “Since we started going out, Jiro told me everything. He made sure I know everything about him, and his past. And part of his past is this girl... the girl he met 10 years ago. He's Jiro's first love...” she said. “So, you feel insecure with his first love?” he asked. Joy nodded her head again. “I know he never saw her again after their first meeting, as his family migrated to Singapore. But, he can't seem to forget about her. It's like her memory will always overshadow our relationship, and though I know Jiro is trying his best to forget him, I know he still couldn't. It's like I'm competing for his love with this ghost. I don't even know if that girl ever exists.” she continued. “That's a complicated one.” Calvin said as he let out a laugh. He looked at Joy, and saw her laughing as well. “I think, you should trust Jiro. You said he's trying his best to forget that girl, then maybe he really is. I could tell that Jiro loves you and would do everything to keep you by his side.” Calvin said. “I don't know... it's just that I'm scared. What if that girl suddenly comes back? What is Jiro choses her over me?”
“I don't think Jiro would do that. And besides, you're way better than that girl, believe me.”

Joy simply smiled at Calvin. “Well, that takes care of my first fear. Second, Jiro's ex-girlfriend is back. I know Jiro's not happy to see her, but she keeps on trailing my boyfriend. It's kinda irritating.” she said. “So, you're annoyed at the ex-gf of your boyfriend?” Calvin asked. Joy nodded her head. “She's still not over him, I know. And I know she's mad at me because shortly after they broke up, we got together. She even threatened me that she'll everything to have Jiro back. I just don't know what she means by everything....” she continued. “And you said that Jiro's not that happy to see her?” he asked. Joy nodded her head again. “I don't know, maybe because he had enough of her. When we got together, she did everything she could to steal him from me, but she never won. Imagine how Trixie tried to catch you attention, she's exactly like her.” she explained. Calvin was surprised at what she said. “Really? I never thought there could be someone as desperate as Trixie.” he said. Joy laughed at him as she nodded her head. “More than desperate, I must say.” she said. Calvin just laughed at her. “Oh, well... I don't think Jiro would still want to get back with her, and after all, past is past. All I can say is, you're just being to paranoid.” Calvin said. Joy smiled and nodded her head. “I think you're right, Cal. I'm just being paranoid.” she said. “So, stop obsessing with those crazy thoughts. You have to prepare yourself for your anniversary date. Make Jiro fall in love with you just like the first time he did.” Calvin said. Then, he put his hand on her hand, and held it, and then stared into her eyes. “Just like the very first time I fell in love with you...” he thought. “You're right...” she said. “The problem is, my side-kick isn't around to help me shop for a new dress. You know, Kit could tell me which dress would look good on me.” Calvin turned into a smile. “What am I doing here? I can accompany you to the mall. And believe me, I have better taste than my best friend.” he said, winking at her. Joy could only laugh at him.

--

The guy who have always been in love with her

--

Calvin looked through the rack to find a pretty dress for Joy. Then, he saw a small, light blue haltered dress. He took it from the rack, and then glanced at Joy, who was busily looking around for a dress. “Joy...” he called. Joy looked at him, and she saw the dress he was holding. “That's pretty!” she said. She walked over him, and then took the dress from his hand. “I'll try this on, and then tell me if it looks good on me, OK?” she said. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. He watched her as she walked towards the fitting room. As soon as she is inside, Calvin began to look for another dress for Joy.

After a while, Joy came out of the fitting room. She looked at Calvin and smiled as she watched him look for another dress for her. “Calvin?” she called. Calvin turned around and saw Joy standing outside the fitting room. At that moment, Calvin couldn't help but stare at her loveliness. He felt as if he have seen a beautiful princess. At her sight, he was stunned, speechless and unable to move. “What do you think?” Joy asked as she twirled around in the dress. “Pretty, very very pretty...” Calvin said. Joy blushed at what he said. “Thank you...” she said shyly. “And since you really look good in that dress, I'm going to buy it for you.” Calvin said. Joy surprised at what he said. “Calvin, you can't do that!” she said. Calvin turned to her and smiled. “Consider this as my anniversary gift to you...” he said. Joy smiled as she nodded her head. “Thank you, Calvin...” she said. She went back to the fitting room to take off the dress. Calvin smiled to himself as he watched Joy walked back to the fitting room. He sighed, thinking how lucky Jiro is to have a girlfriend like her. She is his dream girl, and she will always be. He may have a girlfriend before, and even told himself that he would be OK with just being her friend, but his heart would tell otherwise. He longs for her so much, but he knows he's wrong for loving her for she is his friend's girl.

As soon as Joy got out of the fitting room, they approached the sales lady. “Miss, we'll take the dress.” Calvin said to the sales lady. The sales lady looked up at them and smiled. “Your girlfriend is lucky to have a boyfriend like you who buys here this kind of pretty dress.” she said, winking at the two. The two were surprised at what she said. “Oh, no... you're wrong. He's just my friend.” Joy said. The lady just smiled at them. “Aiyo, you don't have to deny. I can see the love between the two of you, especially the love this guy have for you...” she said as she eyed Calvin. Calvin blushed at what the lady said. “Am I that obvious?” he thought. Joy looked up at her, giving her an apologetic look. “Sorry...” she said in a low voice. “Why are you saying sorry?” he asked. “Because someone thought that you are my boyfriend, you really don't have to buy me that dress, Cal...” she said. Calvin just smiled at her as he held her hand and squeezed it. “I don't mind at all, Joy. Not at all...”

--

“So now, you have the perfect dress, the perfect shoes... all you have to do is to prepare for the perfect night.” Calvin said as he drove her home that afternoon. “I'm actually quite nervous for this Saturday. I'm nervous and excited about Jiro's surprise for me.” Joy said. Calvin glanced at her, and then gave her a smile before he turned his attention on the road. “Actually, you really deserve to have a perfect night. After all those 12 months that you bear being with Jiro...” he said as he let out a nervous laugh. He was a little scared that Joy would be annoyed at his joke, but as he looked at her again, she was laughing as well. “You're right. It's really hard to take care of someone like Jiro. I mean, I have a lot of rivals when it comes to him...”
“But hes not the only one who have to protect his place in your heart. I know Jiro have a lot of rivals when it comes to you.”
“Well, he have to prove himself to me...”
“And was he able to prove himself to you?”
Joy smiled and nodded her head. “We all know that before Jiro and I got together, he dates a lot of girls. I don't know... maybe that time, he was also affected with his breakup with Celestine... or...” then Joy paused. Calvin looked at her, and saw the smile on her face slowly fade. “Or?” he asked. “Maybe...” she said, suddenly realizing a thought. “Maybe, he goes out with a lot of girls, because he is looking Tin in them...” she said. Then, she became silent. “And maybe...” she thought. “Maybe he found Tin in me...”

--

The man she loves

--

Jiro took the folder from the manager's hand, and then signed it. He smiled as he handed it back to him. “Thank you for choosing our restaurant to celebrate your anniversary, Mr. Wang.” the manager said. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. Then he turned to Danson and Chun, who was sitting and waiting patiently for him. “Why does first year anniversaries always have to be special?” Chun asked, rolling his eyes at Jiro. “I mean, can't you just eat in a fancy restaurant then get it on after? Why do you have to bother with all the surprises?” he continued. Danson glared at Chun. “Wei, Joy is a very special girl. Of course, Jiro would make sure that that night would be a very memorable and special night for them. Don't you have any romance in your body?” he asked. Chun folded his arms, and looked at Danson. “I'm just being practical. I mean, if I have a girlfriend, and we have to celebrate our frist year anniversary, I will never rent the whole restaurant for that day.” Chun said. Jiro walked towards Chun, and smacked him in the head. Danson laughed as he watched him flinch in pain. “For your information, I did not rent the whole restaurant so just we have to be alone on Saturday night. We'll be having dinner at this restaurant's garden. I took advantage of the package they have for anniversaries.” Jiro said. Danson looked at Jiro and smiled at him. “You really love Joy after all. She is lucky to have you, Jiro.” he said. Jiro just smiled at Danson and nodded his head. “After all, this is the only thing I could do after all the things she have done for me...” he said in a low voice. “Well, it's not easy being around you for 12 months! If I were Joy, I would break up with you within a week.” Chun said. This time, Jiro hit Chun on his arm. Again, Chun flinched in pain.

“From what I see... Joy really loves you, and you do love her as well. I hop and pray that you and Joy would stay forever and ever.” Danson said. Jiro looked away from his friends ad then smiled bitterly. “You guys didn't know what she've been though this past year. And you didn't know how much I've hurt her. You don't know the pain I've caused her... and I felt guilty because despite of it all, she chose to stay by my side...” he said. Danson and Chun looked at each other, confused at what he said. As far as they are concerned, Jiro and Joy are the perfect couple. You would always see them sweet towards each other, and they never fought, except for that incident during their long vacation. Jiro have always been faithful to Joy, and Joy only loved Jiro. “What do you mean?” Chun asked Jiro. Jiro looked at them, and gave them a faint smile. “I will tell you, but you have to promise me that no matter what happens no one will know about this, especially Joy.” he said. The two nodded their head. “I love Joy... you all know that... but despite my love for her, there is someone who will always have my heart...” he began. “Is it that Celestine, your ex-girlfriend?” Danson asked. Jiro shook his head. “No, not Celestine. I would want to think that my love for Joy is different from my love for Celestine before. When I was with Celestine, I could not love her with all my heart. And it's because of my past. Now that I'm with Joy... I don't know. I love her... and I loved her because I see someone in her, someone whom I have longed to see.”

Jiro turned his gaze away from them again. “I feel guilty because I know I should forget all about my first love. But I really can't. God knows I tried my best... because Joy deserves something better that what she have now. But every time I try to let go, something's holding me back. It's like Tin doesn't want me to let go...” he continued. Danson finally understood what Jiro was trying to say. “So, you mean to say, you feel like you're hurting Joy because of Tin, your first love? Because you could not forget all about her?” he asked. Jiro nodded his head. “She may not say it, but I know I've been hurting her. She understood me, and I felt guilty for not being able to love her whole-heartedly. I felt guilty because she is fighting with my own ghost...” he said. Then, he looked at Danson. “I'm selfish, I know. But I want to make amend with my shortcomings. I want to be a better boyfriend that's why I'm doing this.” he continued. Danson gave him a smile, but he shook his head. “Jiro, you're not making yourself a better boyfriend just because of this special night. This is just for one day. What about the next few days, or years? If Joy will have to continue to compete with this Tin for your love, then you're only hurting her more. You have to chose who you will love between them.” he said. Chun nodded his head in agreement. “By the way, where's this Tin? Is she dead or something?” he asked. Jiro nodded his head. “I met her 10 years ago during our summer vacation. She saved me when I drowned. We became friends that summer, and then when our vacation is over, I promised her that I would come back and meet her the next year at the resort. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to come back since dad was assigned overseas and we have to go with him.” Jiro explained. “So, this Tin... you never saw her again after that summer?” Chun asked. Jiro nodded his head. “So, how did you know that you are really in love with that Tin. You only saw her once...” he asked again. Jiro turned away from him and smiled. “At that moment, when I opened my eyes, I thought I saw an angel.. And at that moment that she smiled at me, I knew in my young heart, that I have fallen in love with Tin...”

Danson shook his head as he listened to Jiro. “But, this is still wrong, Jiro...” he said. Chun and Jiro looked at him. “You love Joy, and you love this Tin. God gave us one heart so that we could only love one person....” he said. Then, he looked at Jiro. “Somehow, you have to decided between Tin and Joy... who will stay and who will you give up. It's either the past or the present. Yes, you're hurting Joy, but, you don't even know if that Tin feels the same towards you... in the end, you are only hurting yourself...”

--

That afternoon, Jiro found himself walking by the beach again. He was confused more than ever. He knew that he have to let go of Tin, for he knows it would be impossible to meet her again, but there's this part of his heart and his mind that tells him to hold on. He paused, and then looked at the necklace in his hand. How many times have he decided to let go of the past, and throw this necklace away? Whenever he tried to throw it, something holds him back. How many times have he promised himself to let go of the past and move on? Whenever he tries to start anew, the memories just keeps on haunting him like a ghost. He should be over it, after all, it's been 10 years. They have not seen each other for 10 years, but in those 10 years that he was away, his heart just keep on loving her. He continues on loving a girl, who doesn't even know about his feelings.

“Danson's right...” he thought. “I'm only hurting myself and Joy, if I continue loving you, Tin. Do you even know how much I love you? Do you even know how I feel towards you, this longing that I have for you?” he thought. Jiro closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. “It's now or never...” he thought. He opened his eyes, and then looked at the necklace one last time. As he was about to throw it away, he paused again. “Why can't I even let you go? Why can't I find the courage to give you up?” he thought. He lowered his hand and stared into the necklace again. He wanted to throw that, as well as the memories with it, but he just couldn't.

“You can never throw away something important to you like that, son...” he heard someone say. He looked back, and he saw an old man walking towards him. He gave Jiro a warm smile. “That necklace...” he said pointing at the necklace he was holding. “It should've been given to you by a very special girl back then...” he said. Jiro gave him a confused look, but he still nodded his head. “How.... how did you know?” he asked. The old man stood beside him, and then looked at the horizon. “Fifty years ago, I tried to do the same thing...” he said. “I thought I could forget her when the necklace is no longer with me... but I was wrong. The more I wanted to let go the harder it is.” Jiro sighed, and then looked at the elder beside him. “I have to do this. I have to, because it's hurting the girl who loves me. I could never love her if I would live in the past...” he said. The elder man looked at him and smiled. “I'm glad that you acknowledge the reason why you have to throw it away, but looking at you now... you can't even do it. You can never throw the happy memories you had with that necklace, am I correct?” he asked. Jiro was surprised at what he said. Then, he nodded his head slowly. “Deep inside your heart, there is still this hope, and this wish, that you would see the real owner of that necklace?” the elder man asked again. Jiro nodded his head again. He was surprised that this old man knows and understood what he was feeling at that moment. “Maybe, you are asking yourself why you can't let go. Why should you still it was still her after all this time... though you know you should live your life today, why are you still stuck at the past?” the elder man continued. “You really surprise me, grandpa. You know everything...” he said, shaking his head. The elder man turned into smile again and shook his head. “Everything that you are going through right now, I've been through that as well. Like you, I longed to see her, to have a happy ending, but I have to understand that God have better plans for us. If people are meant to be together, even if fate broke you two apart, in the end, only fate would bring the two of you back with each other. You just have to trust that one day, you will be with her once again... and most of all, you have to trust in her that her feelings will be the same for you. No matter how far she is from you, as long as you feel that she loves you and that you know in your heart that you love her, you only have to rely on that till the day she comes back to you.” he said. Jiro shook his head in confusion again. “I... I don't understand...” he said. “Son...” the man said. “Only the heart understands what the mind could not comprehend.”

--

The girl who wants him back

--

Saturday night.

“Thanks, Calvin.” Jiro said on the phone before he ended the call. It was the nght of their anniversary. With a little help from their friends, he was able to make the necessary preparations. Danson and Chun helped him prepare the venue, Kit helped Joy to prepare for tonight, while Calvin will drive Joy at the restaurant. They will be having dinner at the restaurant's garden, and they will be alone. Jiro also hired a violinist to serenade them during dinner. He ordered all of Joy's favorite food, and knowing his girlfriend, he knows she would complain about the food since it would make her gain more weight, but he also know that she would gobble it all up. He looked at the table, checking if everything is in place. He lighted up the candle at the center of the table, and then took the solitary red rose, and inhaled its fragrance. Calvin have just informed him that they are a block away from the restaurant, and he knows that anytime soon, Joy would arrive.

He heard footsteps coming towards him. He smiled towards him, for he assumed that it's already Joy. He turned around, smiling. But that smile faded when he saw Celestine standing in front of him, instead of Joy. “What are you doing here?” he asked. “I just want to talk to you...” Celestine said as she walked towards him. “Can't it wait? Tonight is our anniversary...”
“It can't anymore, Jiro. I've been here for a long time, and I just to tell you this...”
“Please don't ruin this night, Celestine. I know what you're up to. Don't do this to me and to Joy.

Celstine just ignored what he said, and she continued to walk towards him. “Jiro... Jiro I love you...” she said in a low voice. “Please come back to me. Please... I can't live without you. You mean the whole goddamn world to me... please...” Jiro looked into her eyes, and he could see it filled with tears. He pitied Celestine, but he just can't love her back anymore. He's with Joy now, and he have no plans of leaving her side. “Celestine...” he whispered. “Please, Jiro. I'm willing to do anything for you... anything. I would accept it if you would continue to love Tin, just come back to me. I need you in my life...” she begged. Celestine held his hand, and looked into his eyes. “Please Jiro... you don't have to love me back... just chose me again...” she begged. Jiro turned away from her. “I... I'm sorry, Celestine...” he said. “I can't love you anymore...”

At that instant, Celestine let go of his hand. “Jiro...” she said.. “I'm with Joy now. I... I can't leave her...” he said. “But do you love Joy? Do you love her as much as you love Tin?” she asked. Jiro was surprised at her question. At that moment, he felt confused about his feelings towards Joy. The fact is, he fell in love with Joy because she sees Tin in her. She have similar traits as Tin, and it also helped that she looked like her. “Do you really love Joy, or you only loved her because she is like Tin in some ways?” Celestine asked her again. Jiro looked at her, and open his mouth to speak. His mind was telling him that he already have the answer, but his heart was hesitant if his answer is the right one. Does he really love Joy, or he loves Tin more than her?

Celestine smirked at seeing him stunned and speechless. “See? You can't even answer me right away. If you really love Joy, then you would immediately speak up. But you didn't. You didn't love me because of Tin, and you can't even love Joy with all of your heart because of her...” she said. She folded his arm and circled him. Jiro lowered his head, as if admitting his defeat. More than anyone else, it seems that Celestine knows his weakness. “Is she willing to share your heart with someone who seems to be a ghost of your past? Is she willing to understand in the end that you can never learn to forget Tin? Jiro, I know, and I understand. Maybe I was not able to accept it before, but I am willing to accept it now. Just come back to me...” she said. Jiro turned to face her. “I know she understands...” he said. Celestine shook his head. “I don't think so... maybe you have told her everything, but you don't know what could she be feeling. Have you asked her? Have you asked her what's her opinion about your unrequited love for Tin?” Celestine asked again. Jiro turned his gaze away from her again, unable to answer her question. Celestine put her palm on his cheek, and turned him to face her. “I am here, Jiro. I am not willing to accept you and your past. All I'm asking is another chance to be with you...” she said. Jiro closed his eyes, and sighed. “Celestine... I... I don't think it would work... even if I come back to you...”

At the corner of Celestine's eyes, she saw Joy approaching them. She let out a smirk, and before Jiro could finish his sentence, she reached up to him and kissed him passionately on the lips. Joy, who was about to approach Jiro, saw what Celestine did. She was shocked, confused and heartbroken all at the same time because of that sight. Meanwhile, Calvin, who was just behind him, could feel the anger building up inside him as he watched Jiro kissed another girl on his and Joys anniversary. Then, he looked at Joy, and he could see that she was heartbroken. Joy felt her kneed began to weaken, and the tears started to cascade from her eyes. “No...” she whispered. She shook her head, and then wiped the tears from her cheeks. Calvin reached for her hand, but Joy rejected his touch. “Joy...” he said in a loud voice. He could only watch Joy as she walked away from that place.

Upon hearing Joy's name, Jiro broke free from Celestine's kiss. He looked back, and he saw Calvin, and Joy as she was about to leave the garden. He suddenly became anxious upon seeing Joy crying. “Joy!” he called. He took a step to walk towards her, but Celestine stopped him. “Jiro... let her be. I don't think she would want to see you after she saw us kissing.” she said. Jiro only gave Celestine a glare. “You know what, you're right...” he said to her. Celestine let go of his arm. She stepped back, for she saw the anger registered in his face. “Maybe I am not in love with Joy because of Tin, and I will never come back to you... and it's all because of Joy.” he said. Celestine could only watch the man he loves chase after Joy. She was defeated, she knew at that moment. She have totally lost Jiro, and he lost him, not because of the girl from his past, but because of his present love. She have to learn to accept that their love story is finally over, and there's nothing she could do to start anew with him.

--

The heartache he have caused her

--

Jiro rushed to follow Joy, but Calvin blocked his way. “Joy!” he called.. Calvin pushed Jiro away. “Don't follow her!” he said, glaring at him. “You don't understand... What you saw -”
“We know what we saw. And you chose to break her heart on this special day?”
“You don't understand!”
“If you prefer to be with that girl, then be with her. Don't ever follow Joy just to break her heart again.”
Calvin turned his back to follow Joy, but after a few step, he paused and then looked back at him. “By the way...” he said. “Happy anniversary.”

--

Calvin found Joy sitting at a swing by the park a few blocks away from the restaurant. Her head is hanging low, and he could tell that she have been crying all throughout. “Joy...” he called as he walked towards her. Joy looked up at him, and then forced a smile at him. “Cal..” she said as she wiped her tears. Calvin knelt down in front of her. He took a handkerchief and then wiped her tears. “You're going to be OK...” he said to her. Joy just nodded her head. Then, she put her head on his shoulder, and Calvin embraced her. He let her cry onto his shoulder, and he stayed silent as he listened to her soft sobs. He knows she is in pain know, and he assured her that he is just there for her, willing to help her out.

Jiro finally found Calvin and Joy at the park. He felt his heart breaking when he saw joy in Calvin's arm. It's known to him that Calvin have always liked Joy, but he gave way to him and never pursued Joy because of their friendship. But at that moment, he felt like he already lost to Calvin. He finally made a decision, and now that he saw her with Calvin, he knows that the decision he made would be the best for everyone, especially Joy and Calvin. He just can't go on breaking her heart, and if Calvin would be the one who could give her the love she deserves, then he would accept it. “Joy...” he called. Calvin and Joy looked up, and saw him walking towards her. “Can we talk?” he asked. Calvin stood up, glaring at him. Joy looked at Calvin, and she could tell how mad he is, that he is going to attack him anytime soon. “Calvin...” she said as she held his hand. “It's OK. We have to talk about things...” she said. Calvin looked at her, and saw her give him a faint smile. “But Joy...” he said. “I'll be OK. Please leave us alone for a while...” she said. Calvin nodded his head. Before he leaves them, he gave Jiro a glare.

“Joy...” Jiro said as he walked towards her. “Please... please don't tell me you'll be getting back with Celestine. Please don't...” she said as she covered her ears. Jiro slowly shook his head. “I am not getting back with her...” he said. Jor looked at him, and smiled. She smiled and rushed to him, and gave him a hug. “I know you will chose me. I know that you love me. I know you could never leave me, right hunny?” she said. She waited for his answer, for his assurance, but Jiro remained silent. Joy looked up at him, and she saw the confusion written in his face. “Jiro?” she asked. “I... I know I should not do this. Not tonight... but there's no other right time but now.” he said. Joy let go of him, and made a few steps back. She could already sense what he was about to tell her. “Joy, I love you. I really do... but... but I know that I have been hurting you. I know I am breaking your heart because I could not let go of my past...” he said. She lowered her face to hide the tears that were falling from her eyes again. “You are a very special girl, and I am lucky that you chose to love someone like me. You accepted me, and understood me. You have been always there for me, and you have been a great girlfriend...” he said. Joy shook her head violently as she began to cry uncontrollably. “No... please don't say it...” she said as she buried her face on her palm. Jiro closed his eyes, as he could already feel the tears in his eyes. He never thought that what he was about to do would be this difficult. “I... I can't break your heart anymore, Joy. I don't want to see you hurt because of me. I have been a bad boyfriend...”
“Don't say that, Jiro. You have been the greatest boyfriend.”
“But I am not. How can I be great in your eyes if...”
“I don't care, Jiro. I don't care! I love you, you love me, that should matter most. I don't care about your past. All I care about is our present and our future!”

Jiro didn't speak. “You didn't chose Celestine, and you chose me instead. I'm glad that you did what you should do. That's all that matters to me. I forgive you, Jiro. I forgive you for what you did back there. We could start anew, and we know that all the things that happened tonight, it would be something that would strengthen our relationship,” she said. Jiro closed his eyes as he sighed, and then he shook his head. “You don't understand, Joy...” he said. He opened his eyes and then looked into her eyes. “I love you... but I can't love with all my heart as long as I'm stuck with my past.” he said. He walked towards her as Joy began to cry again. “I have to let you go... I have to let you go first so that I could think things through. I need the space and time to forget Tin. I have to do this for myself, Joy...” he said as he held her. “No!” Joy shouted, breaking free from her. “If you love me, you will never leave me! I could accept everything, Jiro... just don't tell me that you're leaving me to forget your past....” she said. Jiro shook his head again. “I really have to do this, Joy. I've hurt you enough, and I can't bear seeing you hurt more because of me. Trust me with this, please? Once I have forgotten about Tin, I'll come back for you. I'll come back to you once my heart is free from the past, and I could love you whole-heartedly. I'll be back for you when I am sure that my heart would only be yours totally.” he said. Joy shook her head as Jiro speaks. “I know you will not... I know because that's what you did to Celestine, but you never came back to her. You never did.” she said. “I never promised her that I'll come back for her, but I'm promising you this. Please, Joy... this is the only thing you could do for me now...” he said. He reached for her and hugged her for the last time. He let the tears fell from his eyes, and he embrace her for the last time. Then, he looked into her face, as if memorizing everything about her. He closed his eyes again, and he kissed her for the last time on her lips. “I'm sorry... I'm sorry that I have to break your heart this way... but please trust in me...” he said.

Joy could only cry as Jiro turned his back to leave. Finally, the love story they shared have reached its end.

--

This is the end of their love story...

--

“Chunnie!” Kit said cheerfully when she saw him at the hallway. Chun paused, and the looked at her. He put his hands on his waist as he glared at her. “Where have you been all this time? We needed you!” he said. “Busy preparing for the wedding. I'm helping my cousin out, remember? And, I'm doing this so that she would agree to be your date on Uncle Sam's wedding!” she said. Chun sighed, and then began to walk. Kit followed him. “What's wrong?” she asked. Before Chun could answer, they bumped into Joy. Kit smiled at her, and Joy just gave a faint smile at her. She saw that her eyes have been red and swollen. “Hey, Joy! Anything wrong?” she asked. Joy simply shook her head. Just then, Jiro walked by them. He paused, and looked at Joy, and Joy just stared at him. Then, she turned to Kit and Chun. Kit looked at Jiro, and smiled at him. “Hey, Jiro! Looking good! So how was the anniversary?” she asked. The two did not answer her question. “I... I have to go..” Joy said. Then, she walked as fast as she could away from them. Jiro could only watch her as she tried to avoid him. “I... I have to go too...” he said. Then, he left Kit and Chun alone. Kit was confused with what's going on. “What's wrong?” she asked Chun. “They broke up. On their anniversary.” Chun said. Kit was shocked at what he said. “Really?” she asked. Chun nodded her head. “Oh my God, how come I didn't know? Maybe Joy need me now...” she said. She was about to follow Joy, but Chun stopped him. “Wei... Joy doesn't need you. Calvin's keeping her company...” Chun said. Kit paused, and then looked at Chun, He could clearly see the sadness in her eyes. “Oh... so Calvin have been with her all throughout...” she said. Chun nodded her head. “I'm sorry...” he said in a low voice. Kit looked up at him and forced a smile. “It's OK. I understand. It's inevitable anyway...” she said.

“We've been talking to Joy. Our problem is Jiro. He won't even speak to us about what happened. Maybe you could talk some sense into that guy...” Chun said. “Why should I talk to him. I'm a girl, and my sympathy should go with Joy.”
“I know, I know... but Jiro's friend as well. Talk to him, OK?”
Kit could only sigh as she nodded her head. “Fine... I'll go and talk to Jiro.” she said. Then, she went to follow Jiro's direction.

Kit found Jiro at the school garden. He was sitting at the bench alone, as he stared into something that he was holding in his hand. “Jiro...” she called. Jiro looked up at her and gave her a faint smile. She sat beside him. “I... I heard what happened. Want to talk about it?” she asked. Jiro shook her head. “I can't right now. I hope you understand...” he said. Kit nodded her head. “I understand, Jiro. If you think you are ready to talk about the breakup, you can always talk to me.” she said. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. He stood up from the bench, and then put something inside his pocket. “I have to go..” he said. Then, he turned to leave. As Kit watched him walk away, he noticed the pink shell necklace again dangling from his pocket. She stared at it for a long time, wondering why it looked familiar. Then, she took the shell necklace and stared at it for a long time. “Weird...” she thought. Why does Jiro's shell necklace looks similar to the shell necklace that she have now?

--

Or is it just beginning?

--