Another Chance

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
Everyone deserves a second chance...

--

“Calvin, can we talk?” Joy said as soon as the people at the cemetery have left. She walked towards him, following him to his car. It was the day of Trixie's burial, and everyone from their batch have gone to say goodbye to their classmate, including Calvin, Jiro, Danson, Chun and Joy. Calvin paused, and then looked at Joy. “I guess, eventually we really have to talk. What is it about, Joy?” Calvin asked as he turned to face her. Joy closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. As she opened her eyes, she looked into Calvin's face. “About us...” she finally said. He felt his heart beating faster upon hearing what she said. “W-what about us?”
“Calvin, I know how Kit means to you. I am not blind to see that you love her. You are in love with your best friend, and it was also one of the reasons why I got mad at Kit. Because she loves you, and I could feel that you love her too...”
“I did love you, Joy...”
“I know, Calvin. Those past four months that we were together, it's one of the happiest days of my life. But from what I am seeing, all of us are hurting each other...”

Joy paused, and then moved closer to him. “I admit... we did start at the wrong foot. When I answered you, I was not really over Jiro. I still have that little hope inside my heart, that one day he will come back for me. But then you entered my life, in your little ways, you helped me move on and forget the past, and I've fallen in love with you. You made me happy, Calvin... I know I have loved you, but I have not loved you entirely because of my love for Jiro. When I found out that he found Tin, and Tin was Kit all along, I was hurt. Despite that fact, I acted normally, making all of you believe that I'm OK with it, although I know I am not. I did that because I was scared to hurt you... and because I did love you and I know you love me. Everyone seems to leave me, and I was scared to be alone. You were all I ever got, Calvin...” she said. She paused again, and wiped the tear that was about to fall from her eye. “All my life, all I ever wanted is for someone to love me. I thought it was Jiro who could do that, but he failed me. I put all my hopes in you, because I know you have liked me from the start. I thought I won't have to compete with anyone for your love, but when Kit got shot, I realized the she always had your heart...” she continued. Calvin lowered his head, feeling guilty with what Joy have said. He admits the he got confused between Joy and Kit. He knew he have always loved Joy, his dream girl, but at the same time, his feelings for Kit suddenly all came back. He have successfully forgotten his feelings for his best friend before, but when Jiro came into the picture, he became even more jealous, more possessive of Kit. The mere thought of losing Kit forever was slowly killing him. “I admit... I have fallen in love with Kit... even before I met you, Joy... but our promise... I still have to consider it. I was scared that if Kit found out, she would end our friendship. I was more than willing to break my promise to her, but then I met you. You came, and you changed everything. I fell in love with you at first sight, and since that first day I saw, I have loved you.” he said. Joy nodded her head. “She was everything to you. I can see that. That day at the hospital, I've seen the sadness in your eyes when we almost lost her. What hurts the most is I've heard you say that you love her. That day, I realized that... that I have to do what I should do... even if it hurts me...”

Joy walked up to him, and gave him a hug. She hugged her for a long time, and when she let go, she reached up to him, and kissed him on the cheek. “I want you to be happy, Calvin. I want you and Kit to be happy. You two have been circling for quite some time, and it's about time that you two get together. If your happiness means I have to let you go, then I'm letting you go...” she said in a low voice. Calvin was surprised at what she said. “Joy...” he said in a low voice. “I should have done this a long time ago, but when I tried to talk to you, you seem to avoid me. I just want to have my closure, just as how Jiro got his closure with Kit. I don't want this relationship to end in the same way that Jiro and I ended our relationship. I don't want to leave any bitterness in my heart, that's why I have forced myself to accept the reality. I accept that no matter what happens, it will always be Kit that you will love. I don't want you to feel guilty for breaking my heart, that's why I choosing to let you go. I'm making this easier for you, Calvin...” she said. Calvin smiled at her, and then he took her hands and looked into her eyes. “Thank you, Joy. Thank you for giving me my freedom... thank you for giving this chance for me and Kit...” he said. Joy smiled and nodded her head. “Promise me one thing, Calvin. When Kit wakes up, you have to tell her that you love her. Please don't waste this sacrifice that I am making now. Promise me that you will love her with all your heart.” she said. Calvin smiled and nodded his head. “I will, Joy.” he said. “I will...”

--

Calvin entered the room, and walked towards Kit's bed. He placed a solitary peach rose by the side table, then he leaned towards her, and kissed for on her forehead. He sat beside her on her bed, and then held her hand. “Kit...” he called. He smiled as he looked at her. He brushed the hair from her face, and stared into her for a while. “Joy and I finally talked...” he began. “She said she's sorry for everything, for hurting you by setting you up, for being mad at you, for hating you. She already know what I feel towards you, and so she decided to break it off with me. She said, it's about time that we confess our feelings for each other, because we've been circling around for quite some time. She gave me my freedom back, so that we could finally be together...” Calvin paused, and then let out a faint laugh. “Funny... almost all of our friends knew that I am in love with you, and the only person who haven't realize that is you...”

He took her hand, and placed her hand on his cheek. He closed his eyes as he kissed the palm of her hand. “Kit... we are free to be together now. All that needs to happen is for you to wake up, and to listen to what I have to say to you. We could be happy together... we don't have to worry about hurting other people because of our love, because they understand us. They now understand that we are in love with each other. Kit, please... wake up soon. I need you beside me. I need you to hear those words I long to say to you. I wanted to take this chance with you, because I know we could make it work this time. We have been chasing around, and I miss you, Kit. I miss you so much... please come back to me. I need you... I love you...” he said in a low voice. He opened her eyes, and looked into her face again. He could feel her heart breaking as she stared into her beautiful face. She looked at peace as she sleeps, but he was scared that she might not wake up anymore, and she would leave him forever. “Don't leave, Kit... promise me you'll hold on. I wouldn't be able to take it if you die. You are my life, my everything, my world. You are the reason why I'm not letting go, the very reason why I keep on living each day. If you leave me, you'll take away the very thing that's keeping me alive. Kit... stay alive, please...” he said to her. He leaned towards her again, and then kissed her on the lips.

As he stood up, and turn his back to leave, a silent tear fell into Kit's eyes.

--

Chun's left Kit's room, and then he heard his phone ring. He took it, and answered the call. “Hello?” he said. “Hey, Chunnie bear! I'm already here...” he heard a familiar voice say. Chun's mouth fell open, as he is surprised. “H-hannah?” he said. He heard her giggle on the other line. “Of course, it's me, silly! I want to see you. I want to see you first before I go and face Danson and Kit. God, I couldn't wait to see the look on their face if they found out that I'm already back here in Taipei...” she said. “W-where are you? I... I need to tell you something... b-before you go and see Kit.” Chun said. “Ambassador hotel. Come here, and then let's have some coffee before we meet the other guys. You have to tell me everything that has happened while I'm gone.” she said. As Chun ended the call, he became more anxious. Now that Hannah's back in Taipei, she will soon learn what have happened to her closest friend.

He rushed to Hannah's hotel, and at the lobby, he saw Hannah waiting for him. “Hannah?” he called. Hannah looked up at him. As soon as she saw Chun, she stood up from her seat, and rant towards him, and gave him a hug. “I missed you so much!” Hannah said as he released Chun from her hug. Chun looked at her, surprised at how she have changed over the months. She still do have that thick eye glasses that she wore before, but she was more beautiful and confident now. He could not see the trace of that once shy girl that he used to know. Maybe studying overseas have done good to her. “Looking good, Hannah.” he said. Hannah just smiled at him. “Thanks...” she said. “So... where's the rest? I I can't wait to see them again, especially Kit.” Hannah said. The smile on Chun's face upon hearing Kit's name. He turned his gaze away from her, and then turned his back on her. Hannah noticed the change of his expression, and this have confused her. “Chun, is there something wrong?” she asked. She heard Chun sigh, and then he faced her again. He looked at her sadly for a long time, and then he slowly nodded his head. At his confirmation, she felt her heart beating faster. “What's wrong? Did somebody tried to hurt her again?” she asked. Chun was silent for a long time. He noticed the worry reflecting in her eyes. He opened his mouth to speak, but each time he tries to speak, the words seems to get away. “Chun, please don't make me nervous like this. Can you speak up?” she said impatiently. “Kit... she...”

--

With tears on her eyes, Hannah ran towards the hospital's lobby. She could not believe what she have heard from Chun a while ago, and she wants to know if he is telling the truth or not. She stopped upon seeing the room. She looked at the sign beside it, and saw Kit's name written on it. “No...” she said as she shook her head. She closed her eyes, and then she held the door knob. As she opened her eyes, she opened the door. She walked inside the room, and as she made a step, she saw Kit lying almost lifeless on the bed. “Kit...” she called. She walked towards her bed, with tears flowing steadily from her eyes. “How could this happen to you? Why does it have to be you?” she said in a low voice. She knelt down on her bed, and then held her hand. “You are always hurting because of Calvin, and now... look at what happened to you. Why did you have to give up your life because of that stupid guy? He can't even love you back, or even accept how you feel for him. Why did you have to take the bullet that was supposed to be for him? Are you really that blindly in love with him, that you even have to sacrifice yourself in order to save him? Why are you so selfish, Kit? What about those people who cares about you the most? What about me? Didn't you realize how sad I'm going to be if you leave us life this?” she said to Kit. She paused for a while, and then wiped the tear on her face. “I need you too, Kit. You are my friend, the only person who took the chance to be my friend. It was you that made me realize that I can be a better person. You helped me to get out of my shell, you helped me to be confident, to gain more friends. You stood up for me when I was being bullied. You were always there to cheer on me. You know why I changed for the better, why I decided to go abroad and chase my dreams. It was because of you, Kit, all because of you. I need you to be with me, to be my friend. I need you to be always here for me...”

Calvin opened the door, and as he walked inside, he saw Hannah kneeling beside Kit's bed. He was surprised to see her back. “Hannah...” he called in a low voice. Hannah paused upon hearing Calvin calling her. She wiped the tears from her eyes, and stood up. Then, she turned to face him. He saw him smiling at her, but she remained unmoved by his smile. She simply gave him a glare. “It's all your fault...” she said in a low but angry tone. Calvin lowered his head, and looked away from her. He could clearly see the anger in her eyes. “What have she done to you, Calvin? Is it a crime to love you? If it is, then God should punish me, since I also fell in love with you before. Why did you hurt her? Look at her now... Look at what happened to her! She almost died because she loved you... but you... you could not even love her back... why are you so cruel to her, Calvin? She did things to make you happy... even sacrificing her own heart just to have the girl of your dreams. But in the end, you chose to leave her.” she said in a firm tone. She walked towards him, and then pushed him. “You don't deserve to be even her best friend, Calvin. You don't deserve her at all.”

Hannah closed her eyes, and then bumped into Calvin's chest as she walked away from him. As she stormed out of the room, she did not notice that Danson entered the room. He was surprised to see Hannah. He was about to follow her, but as he went outside the room, Hannah is already out of sight. “Is that really Hannah?” he thought. Then, he shook his head. “Maybe I'm just thinking of her too much, that I thought she's already back home...” he said to herself. He entered the door, and saw Calvin sitting beside Kit. He had that same sad look as before, while he watched Kit peacefully sleeping on her bed. “She's right...” he heard Calvin said. “I don't deserve you after all the wrong things I've done to you. I just hope one day, when you wake up, you will give us a chance... because I love you, and I know that you love me too...” he said. Danson walked up to him, and put his hand on his shoulder. “Cal...” he said. Calvin looked up at him. “She's right... I don't deserve Kit...”
“Calvin, don't make this hard for you. She loves you, I know that... and now that you have admitted that you love her, doesn't it have to be worthy of it all?”
“I have hurt her...”
“You regret it and you apologized to her for all the wrong things you've done!”
“I caused her to be like this...”
“You know that it was her choice to save you...”

Calvin stood up from his bed, and turned away from him. “Seems to me, that when I hurt Kit, I did not only hurt her, but also the people who cared about her... you and Chun...” he said. “Calvin, with all the things you've done, we have forgiven you.” Danson said. Calvin was silent for a long time, then he turned to Danson. “I've hurt a lot of people, Danson... and maybe those people I have hurt could never forgive me in the same way that you have forgiven me for my mistakes...” he said. Danson shot him a confused look, wondering what Calvin was talking about. “Hannah... she hates me... she hates me because of what I did to Kit....” Calvin finally said. Danson was surprised at what Calvin said. He looked at the door for a long time, until it finally hit him that it was Hannah that came in a while ago. “H-hannah?” Danson repeated. “She was here a while ago... she finally knew what have happened to Kit, and she was blaming me for what happened to her. It is all my fault, Danson... my fault...” he said in a low voice. Danson looked back at him, and stared at him for a long time. “Calvin...” he said. “Somehow, you have to learn to forgive yourself for everything... because she wouldn't like it if she sees you like this...” Then, Danson walked away from him and headed to the door. He was hoping to find Hannah and explain everything to her.

--

As Danson was walking through the hospital's hallway, he heard a familiar tune being played on the piano. “Moon River...” he thought as he walked towards to where the music is coming from. He stood before a door, and then slowly opened the door. He peeked inside, and saw Hannah playing the piano. “Hannah...” he said in a low voice. He slowly walked to her, and listened to her as she played the lonely tune. His heart was filled with mixed emotion – he was happy to finally see the girl he loves, he was sad because he could feel how hurt and betray she felt, and he was worried with her, being too mad at Calvin for all the things that have happened. Hannah stopped playing the piano, and then looked up at him. “Danson...” she said sadly. Danson walked towards her, and sat beside her. Hannah looked down at the piano, and let the tears fall down from her eyes. “She was strong, I know. She was stronger than I am. She held on for so long, only to give up this way... why?” she said. “Hannah... Kit did not gave up. Maybe at some point, she did, but in the end, she chose to fight for the love she have always wanted...”
“Why does she have to give her lie to the man who couldn't love her?”

Danson paused, and then looked at her. “Hannah... you don't understand...” he said. “Calvin loved her in the best way he knew. He have loved her for so long, but like Kit, he was too scared to break their promise. Before, he was even more than willing to break their promise, but he realized that he could not force Kit to love him, so he chose to be her best friend so that he could always be by her side. He didn't want to lose Kit... because she's very important to him...”
“He got mad at her for being the paper crane girl!”
“Because he thought she chose their friendship over her love for him... because he thought Kit was choosing his love for Jiro... because she kept her identity as the paper crane girl especially during the times that he was looking for her. If Kit had the courage to tell him how she feels, then maybe this wouldn't happen. Hannah, please don't blame Calvin for her heartache. The truth is, the two of them have been hiding their feelings for each of their promise... It's not only Kit who have been in pain, but also Calvin. All this time, we only heard Kit's side and sympathized with her because we've seen how he have hurt her unintentionally, but the truth is, all this time, Calvin has been hurting as well... because he have loved Kit silently. Kit may not know it, but it her own little ways, she have been rejecting Calvin's love, and it was breaking his heart. I am not blaming Kit here, but it's the truth. Maybe Calvin was at fault, but Kit was also at fault...”

Hannah looked away from him, and stared on the piano keys. “She was scared to lose her. I understand why she did those things...” she said in a low voice. “Calvin was scared to lose her as well. There are times that she would push him away, and he could not understand why she was doing those things. We even got more scared when Jiro came into her life... he was his biggest rival and he always thought that he would take Kit away from him. Whenever he would come to her, Kit would keep her distance. She rejects him in some ways, and it was hurting him. If Calvin got mad before, it's because he could not accept the fact that Kit could never love him...” Danson said. “Is he blind? If Kit didn't love her, why would she help him find the paper crane girl? Why would she forgive him for all of his shortcomings? Why would he help him win the heart of the girl he truly loves? Many times, I've seen Kit cry because of her... and you've also seen her at her worst, crying because her heart is breaking because of him...”
“But Calvin never knew about those tears, because she chose to hide it from him...”

He put his arm around her, and let her rest her head on his shoulder. “Please understand, Hannah... and please... please forgive Calvin for everything. He's hurting too much now... and the only thing we could do is to be a friend to him.” he said. Hannah looked up at him and nodded his head. “Because, just like us...” he continued. “he is scared that Kit may not wake up anymore...”

--

Joy entered the flower shop, and she was greeted by the lady boss of the shop. “Oh, you're here again.” the owner said. Joy smiled at her and nodded her head. “Let me guess, a bouquet of peach roses again?” she asked. Joy nodded her head again. “Yes, please...” she said. “If you say so...” the owner said. She took a dozen of roses from the pot, and then placed it on the table to wrap it. As Joy was watching the owner, she heard the door open. “Good morning!” she heard a familiar voice say. She looked back, and saw Jiro walking towards her. He smiled at her. “Buying flowers for Kit again?” he asked. Joy smiled at him and nodded her head. “I think her room will be filled with peach roses again. Do you think she would like it?” Joy asked. Jiro laughed at what she said. “I think Kit wouldn't mind if her room will be filled with her favorite flowers.” he said.

The lady boss walked up to Joy, and handed her the roses. Then, she turned to Jiro. “And how about you?” she asked him. “I'll take a dozen of pink tulips.” he said. The owner smiled at him, and nodded her head. “A dozen of pink tulips, coming up!” she said. As soon as the lady boss left, Joy looked up at Jiro and smiled. “So, the pink tulips would be for Kit as well?” she asked. Jiro just gave her an evil smile. “Maybe, or maybe not...” he said. “Why, are you planning to pursue Kit when she wakes up?”
“Nah... it would be better if she ends up with Calvin. After all, those two are meant for each other.”
Just then, the lady boss gave Jiro the flowers that he ordered. After they paid for it, the two went out of the shop, and walked to the hospital. “I think those pink tulips go together with these peach roses... and I also think Calvin have bought a dozen peach roses for Kit as well...” Joy said. “What's new? Calvin never fails to bring her her favorite flowers. Too bad, Kit wouldn't be able to see what he have been doing for her...” Jiro said. “I think if she sees those flowers that Calvin gives her, she will be touched.”
“Sometimes, I feel bad for Calvin. You know, the chances of Kit's survival is beginning to decrease. If she doesn't wake up soon, there's a possibility that she wouldn't be able to wake up anymore... and I know it will break his heart even more if he loses Kit forever...”
“I still believe that one day, Kit will wake up. She's a brave girl, she came back for Calvin, I know she will wake up for him. Then, it will be a happy ending for them...”

Jiro paused, and then he turned to face Kit. “How about you, Joy... are you wishing that you'll have your happy ending soon?” he asked. Joy let out a faint smile, and nodded her head. “It's every girl's wish... to live in a fairy tale and to live happily ever after with the man they love. I know one day, I will find someone who could love me for who I am, someone who could give me the love I've always wanted. I think being single for the mean time would give me the chance to think things through, the evaluate what I really wanted most. I think I'll enjoy this newfound freedom for the mean time...” she said. “So... you and Calvin broke it off?” he asked. Joy nodded her head again. “It's better that way. I can't force him to stay in a relationship if he no longer loves me, right?” she said. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. Then, he put his arm around her as they walked. “Don't worry, Joy. I know, one day you will find the guy of your dreams.” he said. Then, he handed her the flowers that he was holding. Joy paused, and stared at the flowers for a while, then she looked up at Jiro, confused at what he was doing. “It's not really for Kit. I saw you today, and I just felt like giving you these flowers.” he said. She felt herself blush as she took the flowers from his hand. “Thanks...” she said in a low voice. Then, she glanced secretly at him, and smiled to herself. Just like before when they were still together, Jiro have surprised her by giving her her favorite flowers.

--

Hannah gently opened the door, and took a peek inside. She slowly walked up, and by Kit's bed, she saw Calvin sitting beside her. She looked at Calvin for a while, and smiled to herself. “Danson is right...” she thought. “Calvin have always been in love with Kit. How come I didn't see it before? He really knows for to hide his true feelings...” For a while, she watched Calvin as he held and caress Kit's hand. When he smiled at Kit, she could see the love in his eyes. “Kit... I wish you could see what I am seeing. I wish you could feel his love for you, because I realized this, I witnesses it now before my eyes. Kit... do you hear his heart beating? I believe his heart only beats for you...” she thought. Then, she saw Calvin look her way. She turned her gaze at him the moment their eyes met. “Hey, what are you doing there? Why don't you come here?” he said. She looked up at him, and saw him smiling at her. She smiled back at him, then she nodded her head. “How is she?” she asked as she walked towards him. “Stable, as usual. But the past few days have not been good. She was having these attacks or something... and I thought I was going to lose her...” he aid in a low voice. “You... you never left her side?” Hannah asked. Calvin shook his head. “I never did. I want to be the very first person she'll see when she wakes up. I promised her that.” he said.

As Calvin turns his eyes on Kit, Hannah smiled at him. She realized how much Calvin have loved his best friend, for she could see that now. It's just a pity that Kit wasn't able to know about it before she fell into this deep slumber. “Do you think, she could feel my love for her?” he asked. Hannah nodded her head. “I know she does... and I know she's happy because... because it was her dream that she will be loved by the man she loves the most, and that's you...” she answered. “Before this have happened, I... I was supposed to tell her... but Trixie came, and she shot Kit. I... I never had that chance anymore to tell her. That's why I'm telling her now, even if she is asleep. I want her to feel that I love her, that I regret being mad at her.” Then, he looked at Hannah, and smiled. “Since that day, I've made a paper crane for her, so that when she wakes up she would know that each day, I love her, and my love for her grows as time passes...”
“I know, if Kit sees the paper cranes, she would be very happy. She made those paper cranes for you, because she wants you to know, in her own little ways that she loves you and that she will always be by your side no matter what. She chose to give you paper cranes, because it symbolizes her love for you, it's like telling you that wherever you are, you will always have her heart.”

Then, Hannah reached to him, and held his hand. “I'm sorry...” she said in a low voice. Calvin gave her a confused look. “I'm sorry for the way I acted yesterday....” Calvin gave her a warm smile. “It's OK, Hannah. I understand. When I hurt Kit, I know I've hurt a lot of people, especially you. I know how much Kit means to you as well... I'm sorry if I have hurt Kit in the past. I will never hurt her ever again, I promise you.” he said. Hannah smiled at her and nodded her head. “I trust that you will never hurt her again. I trust in you, Calvin... always take care of her for me...”