Can't Let Go

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
It was midnight, and everything around him was silent. He felt a little weak, but he gathered all of his remaining strength to get into her room. He stood before her bed, he stared into her face as she peacefully sleeps. He knelt down by her bed, and caressed her cheek. He stared into her sleeping face for a long time, and then he smiled sadly. “Katherine...” he said in a low voice. “Do you know why I love calling you Katherine? It's because it's the only name I know no one would call you... It's the only thing that I could say that's my own. Everyone calls you Kit... Jay calls you Tin... he even stole my secret petname to you...” He paused as he brushed her hair. “Do you know how much I miss you? Do you know I want to spend more time with you? Each time that I come to you, you would turn away from me... I only want a little bit of your time, but even that, you can't give it to me...” he said to her. He took her hand, and then held it up, his cheek touching the back of her hand. “Why did you have to call Joy and tell her that I am sick? Don't you know that I need you to take care of me? I hope you haven't done that... I don't need Joy, I need you beside me. Are you really pushing me away? Don't you want to take care of me anymore? Are you really giving me away?” he asked.

He felt the tears falling from his eyes. He closed his eyes to stop them from falling. He opened his eyes, and then caressed her face again. “I feel so good when I'm with you, Kit... don't you know that? And I hate it when I'm starting to get comfortable with you, you would push me away. I hate the feeling of losing you... I'm losing you to Jay... he's taking you from me and I hated it.” he said in a low voice. “Katherine... I'm hurting now... I'm hurting because it's as if you don't want me in your life anymore. It felt like you're not even worried about me...” Then, he smiled sadly, and then let out a faint laugh. “How silly of me, princess.... you're already in the dream world, probably dreaming about your prince charming, and here I am... looking at you and telling all of these things. So silly of me... I'm letting this go. It hurt so much and I can't take it anymore. I promise to have my distance and not to be possessive of you. Always be happy, Kit. I won't demand from you anymore...” He leaned over her, and then gave her a long kiss on the lips. “Goodnight, my princess. Sweet dreams...” he whispered. He stood up, trying not to make any noise, and then he went out of the window.

What he didn't know is that the whole time that he was talking, Kit was awake and was able to hear what he have said. She slowly opened her eyes, and let the tears fall from her eyes. “Calvin...” she called in a low voice. “I'm sorry Calvin... I'm sorry if you think that way. I'm sorry if I chose to leave your side, because it's hurting me... it hurts me to know that you can never love me. I know I had my chance, but I was scared... I was scared that you would be mad at me if you found out I am your paper crane girl. It's time for me to let go of my love for you, and love Jiro with all my heart...” she said in a low voice. She closed her eyes as another tear falls on her cheek. “It's time for me to let you go, Calvin... I can't bear to hurt anyone... not even you... after my 100th paper crane, I will forget my feelings for you...”

--

“Ah-choo!”

Jiro handed Kit a tissue. He was trying his best to suppress his laughter as he watched her blow her nose on the tissue. “See what happened to you?” Jiro said to her. Kit looked up at him and pouted. “I was just taking care of my best friend...” she said. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. “I know, princess. Look at you, you also caught the fever. You should have taken vitamins or something.” he said. Then, he walked towards her and sat beside her. “Aiyo, Jay... don't come closer or you'll also have fever.” she said. Jiro shook his head. “Don't worry, I took some vitamins before coming here. Good thing I was able to get back here early, or else no one would take care of you.” he said. Kit smiled at him, and then gave him a hug. “Thanks for being here to take care of me, Jay...” she said. Jiro looked at her, and then smiled at her. “I'll do anything for you, princess. That's how much I love you...” he said. He leaned down to her, and kissed her on the forehead.

“Kit!” they heard someone say. They both looked at the door, and saw Calvin standing there. “What happened to you?” he asked in a confused tone. “She have a fever. I think she got it from you...” he said. Calvin looked at Kit, feeling sorry for what happened to her. “Sorry, Kit...” he said in a low voice. Kit just gave him a smile. “It's OK, Calvin. Jay has been taking care of me since this morning. Don't worry about it.” she said. Jiro stood, and then walked towards him. “Hey, can you look after my princess? I need to check on the soup I'm cooking.” Jiro said. Calvin looked at him, and nodded his head. As soon as Jiro is gone, Calvin walked towards her bed, and sat on it. “Why didn't you tell me you have a fever?” Calvin said in a worried tone. “I don't want you to get worried. Besides, Jiro is here to take care of me.” she said, smiling at him. “But still... you should've told me. Don't you want to rely on me, for once?” he asked. Kit could see how hurt Calvin is. “Calvin... I know that you can't always be there for me. Jay is here now, and I know he's the one I should rely on. I can't always depend on you.” she said in a low voice. “Didn't you ever think that maybe... maybe I want you to depend on me? To rely on me, just like before? Didn't you ever think that maybe I want you to need me, just like how you need me before? Didn't you ever think that maybe I want to take care of you as well?” he asked in a hurt tone. Kit looked away from Calvin. “I want to be there for you, Kit... but... but... it seems to me that Jay is getting in my way. I miss the time that you would call on me first when you need help. Can't you see that it's hurting me? You were the one who's taking me for granted, Kit...” he said. Kit looked up at him. “I'm sorry, Cal...” she said in a low voice. “I thought you would be too busy for me. After all, you have Joy...”
“Why are you always making Joy an excuse?”
“Because she has always been your priority.”
“And can't I prioritize my best friend sometimes?”
“I should not be your priority anymore, Calvin.”
“Why, because I am not your priority anymore?”
“Calvin... it's not like that...”
“Why, because you know Jay is here? Because he promised you that he will never leave you? What if he did? Will that be the only time that you will need me again?”

Kit fell silent, and just stared at him, not knowing what to say. “Calvin, I am not letting you have this conversation with Kit.” they heard Jiro said He walked inside her room, and then put the tray on her table before facing him. “It just so happen that I was here when we found out that she have a fever. I insisted to take care of her. I insisted her to call you, but she didn't want to disturb you. Please don't blame my girlfriend... maybe there are things that you can't do for her that only I can do, in the same way that there are things that only Joy could do for you.” Jiro said. Calvin looked up at him. “So please, don't start any fight with Tin. The last thing I want for her right now is to be stressed out.” Jiro continued.

Defeated, Calvin stood up from the bed and looked at the two. “I'm sorry if I acted that way...” he said in a low voice. He put his hands on his pocket and looked down. “I forgot... I have no right to intrude in your life now...” he said. He looked at Kit, and she could see the hurt in his eyes. “Calvin... it's not like that...” she said. She was trying to find words to let him know that what he's thinking is wrong. Calvin smiled at her bittterly and shook his head. “It's OK, Kit. I now know how you felt when I took you for granted. We're even now. Don't worry, I now know where I stand in your life.” he said. Then,, he looked at Jiro. “Take good care of her...” he said. He turned his back to leave, and all Kit could do is watch him. “Calvin...” she said. She tried to stand up from her bed, but she was too weak. She fell from that stand, but Jiro was able to catch her. Calvin paused when he heard her call. “It's not what you think...” she said in a weak voice. Calvin looked back, and he saw Jiro helping her to her bed. “Ssshh... Kit... don't try to stress yourself out... you and Calvin can talk when you're already well...” he said. Then, Jiro looked at Calvin. “Cal.... it would be better if you leave first. Please... just... just don't do this to Kit...” he pleaded. Calvin just nodded his head before leaving her room.

--

Danson looked at Calvin, wondering what's on his mind. He have been silent since he saw him that afternoon at school. “Anything wrong?” he asked. Calvin just shook his head. “Why are you too quiet?” he asked. “Nothing.” Calvin said monotonously. “Nothing?” Danson asked. He smirked at him and shook his head. “Oh, Calvin... I know when something's on your mind! Come on, speak to me!” Danson said, mimicking Kit's voice. Calvin could only glare at him. “What?” Danson asked in a confused tone. “Stop it... it's not funny...” he said. Danson sighed as he looked away from him. “What's wrong with you? Why are you in a bad mood?” he asked. Calvin remained silent and did not answer his question. “Did you and Joy fought?” he asked. Calvin shook his head. “Something happened between you and Kit?” Calvin did not react at his question. Danson let out another smirk, and then he sighed. “I knew it. It's not the girlfriend, it's the best friend. Speak up.” he said.

This time, Calvin faced Danson. “Why do I feel that Kit doesn't need me anymore? Why do I feel like I'm being set aside by her? Was it because of what I did before? Why does it have to be always Jay?” he said. Danson was surprised at him. “Whoa, man... You are jealous of Jiro? Man... you have no right to be jealous because you are only her best friend!” Danson said. “She used to need me. She used to rely on me... and ever since she and Jiro got together...”
“It's only natural for Kit to rely on her boyfriend. She knows that you are busy with Joy... and she understands that she can't always be your priority...”
“Why can't she see that I am here too? I can take care of her the way Jiro takes care of her!”
Danson sighed as he looked at Calvin. “Seems to me...” Danson said. “that you are being too possessive of your best friend. Cal, you can't always be beside Kit. There would come a time that she would need something that even you could not give her... and that someone else could.” he said. “Then what is it that I can't give my best friend?” he asked. Danson paused and look at him for a long time. “Can you love her the way she loves you?” he wanted to say. He shook his head as he turned his eyes away from him. “Cal... calm down first and think. The problem is, you're used to getting all of her attention, and now that she is with Jiro, you were competing with him for that attention. It's not good, you know...” Danson said. “You're just making her all confused...” he thought.

Danson looked at Calvin again. “There's something wrong with this guy...” he thought.”Dan...” he heard Calvin say. “Yeah?”
“Let's go out tonight?”
Danson gave him a confused look. “Tonight?” he asked. It's very unlikely of Calvin to ask them out, especially during a school night. “Where would you want to go?” he asked again. “Let's go and party. Get drunk, get high, flirt with girls...”
“Whoa! Are you serious? What if Joy found out? You know what happened to Jiro the last time...”
“She won't know about this, don't worry...”
“And Kit? What do you think will your best friend say if she finds out?”
Calvin paused and looked at him. “I don't care what she'll say...” he said. “Not anymore...”

--

“Kit...”
Kit looked back, and saw her mom walking towards her. “Are you sure you want to wait up for Calvin? Maybe he decided to sleep over at one of your friend's house...” Mrs. Jin said. Kit smiled at her and shook her head. “I don't think so, mom. Besides, Auntie Chen said she told Calvin to stay here with us for a while, until they're back from Hong Kong.” Kit said. Mrs. Jin smiled at her nodded and smiled at her. “OK... just don't stay up for so long... remember you just had a fever this morning.” she said. Kit smiled at her and nodded her head.

Kit pulled the blanket closer to her as she waited for Calvin. After a while, she saw Danson's car stop in front of them. She stood up as she saw Danson got out of his car. “Kit... good you're here...” he said. Kit gave him a confused look. “What happened?” she asked. Danson didn't answer her. She watched him as he opened the door of his car, and helped Calvin out. He was so drunk, and was unable to walk by himself. “What happened to him?” Kit asked as she helped Danson with Calvin. “He asked me out to drink tonight. I don't know why. You should have seen him... he was drinking a lot and he was flirting with a lot of girls. I finally convinced him to go home, even though he didn't want to. He said he'd rather sleep at some random girl's house than go home. Later, I found out that he was supposed to stay here because his mom and dad have gone to Hong Kong for a few days.” Danson explained. Kit looked at him and nodded his head. “Did something happened between the two of you? Did you guys had another misunderstanding? We were talking about you a while ago, when he asked me out. Calvin has not been like this, Kit...” Danson said. Kit paused and looked away from him. “Something happened, Danson... but he didn't gave me the chance to explain...” she said. Then, she looked at Calvin. “Danson... let's go back to the bar... I don't want to go home yet...” she heard him mumble. “I don't want to see Kit...” he said again. Kit paused, and look away from Calvin. “He doesn't want to see me?” she thought. Danson noticed her face turn sad upon hearing what Calvin said. “Are you OK, Kit?” he asked. Kit looked up at Danson and tried to smile. “I'm OK. Just help me bring Calvin up to the guest room.” she said.

As soon as they reached the guest room, Danson and Kit laid Calvin on the bed. “Don't want to go home... don't want to see Kit...” he mumbled. Danson looked at Calvin for a while, and then he looked at Kit. “He's hurt...” he told her. “He's hurt because of what you are doing, Kit...” Kit remained staring into Calvin's face. “This is the only thing I know I could do to stay away from him...” she said in a low voice. “But you staying away from him is breaking his heart. He needs you, Kit... and he wanted to feel what it's like to be needed by you...” Danson said. Kit looked at him with those sad eyes. “Why is it that when I try to move on, I can't? Why is it that I can't even let him go?” she asked. Danson sighed, and put his arm around her. “You don't have to let him go... just let go of your feelings for him and see him like a normal friend. That's all. Unless... unless....” He looked at her, then let out a faint smile as he shook his head. “Think I also drank too much. I'll see you guys tomorrow...” he said. Kit nodded her head. “Dan, thanks for bringing Calvin home.” she said as she watched him leave.

As soon as Danson is gone, Kit looked at Calvin's sleeping face. She walked toward hims, and sat beside him. She stared into his face for a long time, caressing his face. “Why do I love you too much? Why do I have to fall in love with you? Why did I even forgot our promise when I loved you? All this time, I've been fighting for your love... I've been hesitating to tell you I am the real paper crane girl because if you found out I am in love, I will lose you permanently. I don't want to lose you, Calvin... I'm scared to lose you, and I don't even have you.” she thought. She brushed his hair. She closed her eyes as she felt the tear coming out of her eyes. “I'm sorry that I have to hurt you this way. I'm sorry if I'm keeping my distance from you. I love you too much that it's breaking me apart. I don't want to hurt Jiro, or Joy, or even you... I want to suffer alone... for this mistake I did. I thought this is the only way I could to finally let go of this love I'm feeling for you... but I was wrong. The more that I try to keep away from you, the more that its harder for me to stay away from you. The more that I tried to forget you, the harder it is for me to let you go. My heart only fought for what it wanted, not it's fighting to let you go...” She leaned towards him, and gave him a kiss on the lips.

She stood up from his bed, but before she could, she felt Calvin held her hand to stop her. “Don't go... don't leave me, please...” he whispered. Kit paused, and looked at him. “Calvin...” she said in a low voice. He opened his eyes and smiled at him. “Don't leave me... I would die if you leave me...” he said. He sat up from his bed, and hugged her tight. Kit froze as he hugged him tight. “I need you here... I love you...” he said to her. Then, he let go of her. He cupped her cheeks and stared into her eyes. “I love you...” he said in a low voice. Kit was speechless at what he said. She doesn't know if he has been sober or still drunk, but she could see the sincerity in his eyes as he said those three words. “Calvin, I...” Before she could say anything, Calvin's lips found its way to her own lips, and have silenced her. She closed her eyes, and let herself drown into his passionate kiss. Though her mind is fighting if this is wrong or not, she doesn't care anymore. All she wanted to do is to feel his love, even for just this moment. As Calvin kissed her, she felt her hand gently touched her neck. His hand roam at her back, and then he held her hand, and put it on his cheek. Calvin broke their kiss and stared at her for a long time. He smiled to himself, and planted small kissed on her forehead and on the tip of her nose. “I love you...” he said again. He planted another kiss on her lips before staring into her eyes again. “I love you so much, Joy...”

Kit froze upon hearing the name that he called. All this time, she thought he was saying those words to her, but she realized that those three word are only meant for Joy. His kiss was for Joy. His touch was for joy. He have mistaken her for Joy. The tears cascaded on her cheek as she looked at him. She could feel her heart breaking upon realizing what just happened. It hurt so much that she could not breath. She swallowed hard as she watched Calvin lay on his bed and sleep again. “I can't take this anymore...” she thought. She looked at him once again, and the truth have dawned to her – no one can break her heart this much but Calvin. No one have given her this much heartache but the man she have always loved. “Why do you always have to break m heart, Calvin? What did I do, that you have to hurt me this way?” she thought.

Her lips quiver as she cried. She stood up from his bed, and then ran back to her room. As she closed the door behind her, she began to cry uncontrollably. She slid down the floor as she cried. The pain she is feeling right now is unbearable. For a while, she thought that maybe Calvin do love her, but she was wrong. There is only Joy in his heart, and even she could not replace her in his heart. What hurts the most is the fact that Calvin ave thought that she is Joy, and he kissed her. “This is it...” she said to herself. “I swear this will be the last time you would hurt me, Calvin... this will be the last... You can never hurt me anymore... for I'm letting you go...”

--

As the sun's rays entered the window, Calvin was forced to open his eyes. As he moved, he felt that pain in his head, as if someone have hit his head hard. “Arrgghh...” he groaned as he sat up on the bed. He looked around, and saw that he's not in his room. “Where am I?” he thought as he massaged the back of his head. He looked at himself, and saw that he was still wearing the same clothes he wore yesterday. He tried to recall what happened the night before. He remembered being the club with Danson, drinking as if there was no tomorrow. He remembered the girls in skimpy outfit flirting and dancing with him. He remembered the warm body trying to help him up. He remembered the silent conversation, which he could not understand. Then, he remembered holding someone in his arms, kissing someone passionately. He remembered saying those three words. He remembered the soft sobs as he fell asleep. Then, it hit him. “Kit?” he thought. Finally, he realized that he was in one of the Jin's guest room. How could he forget, his mom called yesterday telling him that he have to stay with the Jins for a while. He closed his eyes upon recalling the last thing that happened before he fell asleep. “... something happened between me and Kit...” he thought.

He got up from his bed and went out of the room. As he descended down the stairs, he saw Kit cooking breakfast. She was humming a happy song as she prepared their food. As he took another step down the stairs, Kit felt his presence. “Finally, you're awake!” she said cheerfully to him. “Good morning...” he said in a confused tone. He sat on one of the chairs, and Kit put a plate of food in front of him. “You drank a lot last night, huh? Danson and I have to drag you upstairs.” she said to him. He slowly looked up at her and watched her as she went back to the kitchen. “Where... where's Auntie and Uncle?” he asked. “They went to Annie's recital today. I told them I'll stay here to keep you company.” she said as she got out of the kitchen. She placed the plate on the table. He smiled as he looked at the food. Those were his favorite breakfast. Kit sat beside him, and then took some food from the plate. “Kit... about last night...” Kit paused as he looked at him. “W-what about last night?” she asked. “Did... did I do anything stupid?” he asked. Kit slowly nodded her head. She could see the fear on his eyes as she nodded her head. “You vomited on the floor last night, and I had to clean it up before I went to sleep.” she said. Calvin sighed and shook his head. “It's not that, Kit...” he said in a low voice. Then, he looked up at her and stared into her eyes. “Did something happen between us? Did... did I kissed you?” he asked.

Kit fell silent at his question. She took a deep breath, and then looked away from him. “No.” she lied. “Nothing happened...” she said, looking at him this time. Then, she smiled at him. “I think you were dreaming last night. You were calling Joy's name. Did something happen between the two of you that's why you got drunk?” she asked, Calvin slowly nodded his head. Although Kit have answered his question, he still feels unsure with what happened last night. He watched as Kit ate her breakfast. He knows exactly what happened last night. The spirit of alcohol may have taken control of his body and his mind, but he quite aware of what happened the night before. He knew for sure that Kit is lying to him. He kissed her, and he said those words to her. “But why is she lying about it?” he thought. “Kit...” Calvin called her again. Kit looked at him. “I know exactly what happened...” he said in a low voice. Kit smiled and shook her head. “Aiyo, maybe you dreamt of kissing someone. Nothing happened between us, Cal...” she said. He sighed as he look away from her. That moment he became unsure of himself either.