Another Search

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
“You will stop sulking right at this moment, Mr. Chen!” Calvin heard Kit say to her. He looked up at her, and saw her angry. “Wei... who says I'm sulking?” he asked. “You're not with yourself lately, Cal...” she said. She shook his head and sighed in dismay. “Come on, Cal... that girl lied and cheated on you, she's not worth the tears!” she said to him. It has been two weeks since Calvin and Trixie have broken up. She thought Calvin would be able to take it, because of the things he discovered about her and since it was Trixie who broke up with him first, but she was wrong. Guess her best friend really loved that girl so much that's why he is sulking like this. Right after they broke up, Trixie began to avoid Calvin. During the first few days right after their break up, she would see Calvin walking up towards Trixie. She thought that he would give her another chance, and she did all of her best to stop him.

“I thought you told me you're over Trixie now... why are you being like this, Cal?” she asked. “I'm not thinking about Trixie, OK? I'm thinking about the real paper crane girl...” he said. Kit took a seat beside him, and smiled at him. “Oh... so you're thinking about the very mysterious paper crane girl, who, according to you, is your soul mate. Right?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “And by the way, I am not thinking of getting back with Trixie, if that's on your mind. I'm just thinking maybe she also knows who the paper crane girl is.” he said in a matter-of-fact tone. Kit nodded his head, she understands now why he wanted to approach Trixie. “I don't think she would tell you the truth, even if she knows who she is.” she said. Calvin just shook his head as he smiled at his best friend. It couldn't be helped. She hated Trixie so much because she ordered Mike to her, and she broke her best friend's heart. He cried over the pain he felt because of Trixie's lies and betrayal, but it's over now and he's ready to face the thing that matters the most – and that is to find the real paper crane girl.

“You would still help me find her, right?” he asked Kit. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “I always help you out, even if I don't want to.” she said. “I know you're doing that because you can't bear seeing your poor best friend having a hard time solving his problems...” he answered, giving her puppy eyes. Kit just raised an eyebrow at her. “That's why I can't get myself a boyfriend because I have to take care of a big boy like you...” she said, shaking her head. She heard Calvin laugh at her. “So, you want to have a love life now, huh?” he asked. “It's too late for me to have a love life. I still have to help you fix your own love life.” Kit looked at the clock hanging on the wall, and saw that it's almost 3 PM. “What time is Hannah's recital again?” she asked him. “5 PM, if I'm not mistaken...” he answered. “Better get dressed. We might miss her performance.” She stood up from her seat and headed out of his house. “And don't forget to pick me up, OK?” she shouted.

--

“Cal... can I ask you a favor?” Danson said as they were walking towards their seats. Calvin paused and turn to him. “What is it?” he asked. “Can you give these to Hannah after the recital?” Danson said. Calvin nodded his head, but he gave him a confused look. “OK... but why can't you give it to her?” he asked. “Because she would appreciate it more if you give it to her. And one more thing, don't tell Hannah that I bought these flowers, OK?” Danson said. He handed him the daisies, and then went to his seat. Calvin looked at the flowers in his hand, then looked at Danson. He smiled to himself as he looked at his friend. “What is this guy trying to do now?” he thought. He wondered if his friend is trying to set him up with Hannah. It's OK with him anyway, Hannah is a nice girl and there's nothing wrong if Danson would push him to her, but he didn't want her to think that he's using her to be able to get over with his past relationship.

He walked towards his seat, and he sat in between Joy and Kit. Danson was seated on Kit's right side. Kit looked at Calvin, and saw he was holding the flowers that Danson was going to give to Hannah. “Why do you have Danson's flowers?” she asked Calvin. Calvin looked at her and smiled. “Danson just asked me to hold it for a while.” he said. Kit just nodded his head, and then she looked at Danson, who was waiting for Hannah to come on stage. She smiled secretly to herself. Maybe Danson already know that Hannah have a huge crush on Calvin. Well, he should know that by now since they always hang out together these past few weeks. Maybe Danson is helping Hannah to get close to Calvin so that she could confess to Calvin what she feels for him. “Good move, Danson...” she thought. “If Hannah would become Calvin's next girlfriend, I approve of her... but...” then, she turned her eyes on Calvin. “Is Calvin ready to jump into a new relationship after all the things that happened?” she thought. She sighed, and then leaned on her seat.

Just then, the curtain opened, and revealed Hannah standing at the center. She took a bow, then went to the piano and began to play. All throughout the recital, Kit was observing Danson. He never took his eyes off Hannah as she plays the piano. She saw Chun poking his side, but he just shrugged him off. “Why are you so serious?” he heard Chun ask him. Danson didn't answer him, and continued to watch Hannah. She looked at Hannah, and she caught her glancing at Danson, smiling at him. Then, it hit Kit. “Something's wrong here...” she thought. She looked at Danson again, and saw him smiling at Hannah. “Maybe both of them are barking at the wrong tree. Maybe they are in love with each other, but didn't want to admit it yet...” she thought.

“Something wrong?” she heard Calvin ask. Kit looked at him and smiled. “Nothing...” she said, shaking her head. Calvin turned his eyes on Hannah again as she played his favorite tune. As he listend to her, he held Kit's hand. Kit looked at him again, and saw him smiling. “She remembered...” he said. Kit gave him a curious look. “Remembered what?” she asked. “Remembered that I like 'Moon River'. I only told her that once...” he said. Kit smiled to herself. Seems like Calvin is also starting to like Hannah. But, what would happen if he and Danson would become rivals for her love? “This is getting exciting!” she thought.

--

“Give the flowers to her now...” Danson whispered to Calvin. Calvin looked at Danson and nodded his head. Just then, Hannah came, and their friends congratulated her. Calvin walked up to Hannah and handed her the flowers that came from Danson. “For you...” he said. Hannh blushed as she took the flowers from him. “Thank you...” she said to him. Then, she looked at Danson, who was giving him a thumbs up sign. She took her time to look at the flowers that Calvin gave him, and she was surprised to see that is was her favorite purple daisies. She looked at Danson again, Danson, after all, it was him who knew what her favorite flower was. None of her other friends, including Calvin, knows that puprle daisies are her favorite. Maybe Danson is helping her to be close to Calvin. “Shall we go? We have to celebrate the success of your recital.” Calvin said to her. Hannah looked up at him, smiling as she nodded her head. Calvin offered his arm to her, and Hannah held it as they walked towards the auditorium's exit.

The rest of them followed the two, but Kit and Danson were behind them. “Wei...” Kit said, nudging why didn't you tell Hannah that the flowers came from you?” she asked. “It doesn't matter if she found out it came from me or not. Just look at how happy she is.” he said. Kit looked at Hannah, who was chatting with Calvin. She could also see the smile on her face as they talked. “Well, she's one happy girl tonight. You're really a great friend, Danson.” Kit said. Danson just smiled at Kit. “I would do everything to make Hannah happy, because she made me happy today as well.” he said, as he continued to watch Hannah and Calvin. Kit was observing Danson closely, and she is right. He may already have feelings for Hannah, but have not realized it yet. She is happy with that thought, but she hopes that Danson and Hannah would realize what they feel for each other before it's too late.

--

The following week at the uni...

Calvin stopped by his locker, and as expected, he saw another paper crane on it. It wasn't a black paper crane, but it was a blue one this time. He smiled as he took it and stared at it for a while. He opened his locker, and he saw a note inside. He took it, before Calvin could read it, someone took it from his hand. He turned around, and saw Kit already reading it. “It is wiser not to expect but to hope, for in expecting, we meet disappointment, whereas in hoping we invite surprises and miracles.” Kit read aloud. While she was reading it, Calvin was trying to grab it from her. After she's done, she looked at Calvin and laughed at him. “Give it back to me!” he demanded. Kit ignored him, and continued laughing. “Man, that's the lamest quote I've read today!” she said in between laugh. Calvin grabbed the note from Kit's hand and read it. “Why do you always have to do that?” he asked in an annoyed tone. “Hey, I'm just kidding. Don't be mad.” she said to him. Kit looked at him as she crossed her arms. “But I think I read that somewhere... I think it was a quote that Hannah sent me yesterday.” Kit said.

Upon hearing Hannah's name, Calvin gave kit a surprised look. “Hannah?” he asked. Kit nodded her head. Suddenly, he have this gut feel about Hannah. He remembered, Kit told him before that they thought it was Hannah who is the paper crane girl since they saw her standing by her locker, and then Danson showed him the real paper crane that this mysterious girl left on that day. “Kit...” he called. Kit looked at him, and saw that he looked like as if he discovered something. “Do you think... do you think Hannah is the paper crane girl?” he asked. Kit just shrugged her shoulder.

--

“What do you think, will you guys be able to help me?” Calvin asked his friends who were sitting in front of him. Danson and Chun looked at each other, and so is Jiro and Joy. Chun shook his head. “Sorry to disappoint you, Cal... but what you're asking us to do... it's impossible. It's like finding a needle in a haystack.” he said. Joy nodded in agreement to what Chun said. “Chun's right, Cal. I know this is your quest for true love, but how can we help you if we don't even know what we're looking for?” she said. Jiro nodded in agreement to what his girlfriend said. Kit looked at Calvin, and saw the disappointment in his face. “Aiyo... don't lose hope, Cal. We'll find a way to find her....” she said to him. Calvin looked up at her and smile. Kit always sees the brighter side of a problem.

Kit turned to their friends and smiled. “We would be able to find out who she is. What Danson and I did is that during our vacant period, we wait at the corner of the lobby and watch Calvin's locker.” she said. Jiro crossed his arm, and raised an eyebrow at her. “And were you successful?” he asked. “Well... we're not, because the girl we thought is the paper crane girl is not the paper crane girl, or so we thought.” Danson said. “Fine, I'll admit it... I'm the real paper crane girl...” Chun said. They all knew that Chun is joking again, so Danson and Jiro whacked him in the head. “Stop kidding, we're serious here!” Jiro said to him. Kit just laughed at what Chun said. “Actually, there was a time that we thought you were the paper crane girl, Chun...” Kit said. Chun just roller his eyes at her, as Kit laughed at him. “Please, I'm not gay anymore...” he said. “For one moment, you scared me there, Chun. I thought I'll get myself involved in a brokeback relationship.” Calvin said. All of them burst out laughing at what he said.

--

The tall figure walked inside the room, and she saw her playing the piano again. She was playing his favorite tune again. She smiled as she walked towards her. The tall figure sat beside her, and the girl looked up at her. “He is looking for you again...” she said. The girl smiled and shook her head. “You should say, 'he is looking for me again'.” she answered. The tall figure just smiled. “Nevertheless, he is searching for the paper crane girl once more...”
“Then tell him it's you...”
The tall figure shook her head. “You know very well that I can't...” she said in a low voice. “I can't tell him how I feel...” she said. The girl could understand how she feels. She's scared that he would reject her when he found out that he is in love with her. Then, the tall figured looked at her again, smiling. “But you... you can let him know that you love him. You still have the chance...”
“I don't want to lie to him...”
“You're not going to lie... you will tell him the truth. Both of us did this, we're both...”
“Yes, I know...”

The girl looked up at her and smiled. “We're both the ones who leaves the paper crane in his locker. You were the one who leaves the paper crane, while I... I was the one who leaves those love notes...” she said. The girl looked away from her, as she remembered that day when they found out about each other's secret. “Remember that day when you found out I was leaving him those love notes? I was scared... so scared that you would tell him. But then, you told me it's OK... then you hang the paper crane on the handle of his locker...” she said, smiling. The tall figure smiled and nodded her head. “I found out that you have been secretly loving him, and I told you that I do love him as well. But... but I can't even let him find out...” then she looked at her again. “You have your chance. You have to let him know that you are the paper crane girl...” she said to the girl. But the girl just shook her head. “If I tell him that, I will still be lying...” she said, looking up at her. “Because between you and me, you are the real paper crane girl.”

--

“Calvin!” he heard someone call him. He looked back, and he saw Genie coming up to him. He smiled at her. “Hey, Genie...” he said. “Uhmmm... Calvin, this is for you...” she said, handing him a paper crane. He looked at it for a while, and then looked at Genie. “What's this for?” he asked. “Actually, Calvin... the truth is... I'm the real paper crane girl!” she said. Calvin gave Genie a suspicious look. “You are?” he asked. Genie smiled, and nodded his head. “Well, if you are...” they heard someone say. They both looked back, and saw Kit walking up to them. “What was written on the very first note that you gave him?” she asked, smirking at Genie. Genie was taken aback by her question, for she didn't know what to answer. “Well... uh.... I think it's...” she stuttered. Kit crossed her arm and then shook her head. “I know you're just lying, Genie. So, just give it up, OK?” she said. Genie glared at Kit before leaving the two. “Hey, you didn't have to be mean at her...” Calvin said to Kit. “It's obvious that she's lying to you. I don't want you to fall for that. And I thought we have to be careful this time so that we'll be able to find the real paper crane girl this time?” she said. Calvin could only let out a sigh.

The rumor about Calvin's paper crane girl spread like fire in the whole campus. Every girl who have a crush on him would approach him, and tell him that he is the paper crane girl. They were being to careful about looking for this mysterious girl, as they don't Calvin to fall for a fake one again. That's why Kit has always been on the look out when a girl approaches Calvin and tells him that she is the real paper crane girl. There are times that Calvin feels tired of finding her. Maybe she really didn't want to be found after all. This girl is really a martyr for choosing to love him from afar, but he wonders why she would rather hide from him. “Hey, anything wrong?” she asked him. Calvin smiled at her as he shook his head. “I'm a little tired...”
“Wei... don't tell me you're giving up on her?”
“What should I do? It's as if she doesn't want to be found. When we look for her, someone approaches us and lies to us... maybe Chun's right... it's really impossible to find her.”
Kit smiled at her friend and hugged him. “Aiyo... don't lose hope now. I can feel that you will be able to meet her soon. Trust me...” she said. Calvin looked at her, and smiled. “Well... I guess I have no other choice but to trust you...”

--

“Time is running out for you...” the tall figure told to the girl standing in front of her. The girl slowly looked up at her. “I still have time...”
“But until when? When will you tell him what you feel?”
“I just don't think this is the right time...”
The girl looked up at the tall figure in front of her, and she saw her sighing. She know that she is just concerned about her. The girl in front of her understands exactly how she feels. “I'm sorry...” she said as she lowered her head. “It's just... I'm scared... scared that he will reject me if he finds out...”
“If he found out that I am in love with him, he will reject me. And worse... he will....”

The tall figure shook her head, shrugging off her thoughts. “But you... you have your chance. He's looking for you, and I know that no matter what, he will accept you, the way he accepted Trixie.” she said to the girl. “It's just not me that he is looking for... he's looking for you as well. Remember, we did this together, to let him that we love him.”
“I know...”
“Then why? Tell me why you want to give me your identity? Why would you like everyone think that I am the paper crane girl, when we both know that it's you?”
The tall figure smiled and shook her head. “You still don't understand, don't you?” she said in a low voice. “If he found out that I am in love with him, I'll be breaking my promise...”

She looked at her, and then held both of her hands. “I'm giving you this chance. You may never have a chance again once you leave. Take it. Tell him that you love him.” she said. The girl could only look up at her. She felt sad for this girl in front of her. “Because if you do... it's like I've told him what I feel...”
The girl looked away, her mind is debating whether she will say yes or not. She looked at her again, and saw her eyes pleading at her. She took a deep breath, it can't be helped at all. She have to help her friend, in the same way that she did helped her before. “Please... Hannah?” Left with no choice, the girl slowly nodded her head.

--

Danson didn't know what came into his mind, but he decided to wait for the paper crane girl that afternoon. As far as he know, Calvin have not received a paper crane from his admirer that day. He patiently waited at his usual spot, hiding so that the girl would not find out that someone is watching her. He looked at his watch, and saw that he still have time left. In 10 more minutes, the school bell will ring, and he will lose his chance to find out who she is.

From time to time, he peaked at Calvin's locker. No student was passing by the lobby. “I think I should better give this up.” he thought. He signed, and then got out of the corner where he is hiding.. As he got out, he saw a familiar face standing in front of his locker. He was about to walk towards her, when he saw something in her hand – it was a paper crance. He was surprised at what he saw, but he still continued to watch her. She stared at the paper crane for a long time, before she hang it on his locker's handle. Then, she took out a note from her bag, and put it inside his locker.

He could not believe what he saw. He can't believe that the paper crane girl is one of them all these time. He should've known that it was her, all this time. “The paper crane girl...” he said to himself. “Its...”