Ideal Lovers

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
Note: Trixie and Calvin just broke up (woohoo!) So, this gives a chance for the real paper crane girl to come up. But before she does, there are two characters in this story that seems to be falling for each other, but does not want to admit it. So, this chapter is for them.

--

The rain started to pour down. Hannah looked up at the sky, and sighed. Of all the days that she would not bring an umbrella, why does it have to be on this day? She let out another sigh. Guess she have to wait for the rain to stop before she could go. Just then, she felt someone stood before her. She looked to her side, and saw Danson standing beside her, smiling like a fool. “What are you doing here?” she asked. Danson looked at her, and smiled. “I saw that you can’t leave this shed because of the rain, so I decided to keep you company.” He said. “And who said I need a company?” she asked. “You may not need a company, but you need an umbrella.” He said. He held up the umbrella he was holding right in front of her. “So you came here just because to give me that umbrella?” she asked. Danson shook his head. “Actually, I’m going to lend it to you. Not give it to you.” He said. Hannah rolled her eyes at him. “Fine…” she said. Danson just laughed at her reaction. “Wei, I’m just kidding. Where are you going, by the way?”
“I’m going to buy a dress for my recital.”
“Need company?”
Hannah nodded her head. Danson opened his umbrella, and together, they crossed the street.

--

Hannah showed him another dress, but she saw Danson frowning at it, and then shaking his head. She pouted at him. “Aiyo… why don’t you like the dress I’m picking?” she said. “Because the one you picks up is either out of style, or does not look good on you.” He said, crossing his arms. Hannah put the dress on the rack and, crossed her arms, and stomped towards him. Danson could only laugh at her. “Silly girl, I only want you to look good at your recital.” He said. Hannah looked up at him, and smiled. “So, you want me to be pretty at my recital?” she asked. Danson shook his head. “I just don’t want you to be a laughingstock at your recital.” He said.

Hannah hit him hard in his arm, making him flinch in pain. “Ouch!” he exclaimed. He rubbed his arm, and then glared at her. “Wei… I’m only trying to help out…” he said. Hannah crossed her arms, and turned her back on him. Danson laughed at her tantrums. “Hey, I’m just kidding…” he said. He put his arm around her, and looked at her. “I’m just trying to help…” he said. “No, you’re not…” Hannah said. “How about this… I’ll bring you to a stylist that could help you find the perfect dress for your recital.”

--

Danson brought Hannah to a shop after they went to the mall. Hannah looked up at the sign of the shop. “Dian Tang House of Fashion…” she read. Then, she gave Danson a curious look. “Are you related to the owner of this shop?” she asked. Danson smiled and nodded his head. “She’s my older sister.” He said. Hannah was surprised at what he said. Dian Tang is a well-known designer, and she is the favorite of the men and women from the high society. “The Dian Tang is your Jie Jie?” she asked again. Danson nodded his head again. “As in the Dian Tang who makes the dresses for the most powerful women of Taiwan?” she asked again Danson smiled and nodded his head. “As in Dian Tang who-“ Danson glared at her. “Wei…” he said, interrupting her. “If you don’t want to believe, then go inside the shop and ask her, OK?” he said in an annoyed tone. “Then, how come you never told us? And why are you only telling me about this now?” she asked. “Because you guys never asked. Come on, she’s waiting for us.” He took Hannah’s hand and then pulled her inside the shop.

They entered the shop, and they saw his sister busy stitching the hem of a wedding gown. “Jie, I’m here!” Danson shouted. Dian stood up and then looked at him. She smiled upon seeing her little brother. “Danson!” she shouted. She rushed to him, and gave him a hug. “I missed you!” she said to him. “Hey, it’s as if we did not see each other last Sunday.” He said. Then she turned her attention to the girl standing beside him. “And this must be…” she said, waiting Danson to introduce Hannah to her. “She’s Hannah. We go to the same school.” He explained. Dian smiled at Hannah and shook her hand. “Hi, Hannah! I’m Dian, Danson’s elder sister.” She said. Hannah smiled back at Dian. “It’s nice meeting you, Dian jie…” she said. Then, Dian turned to her brother. “By the way, jie… do you have what I asked you to prepare?” he asked. Dian smiled at him and nodded her head. “OF course, I have it. I want you to take a look at it first before you show it to your special friend here.” She said to him. Dian ushered her to the waiting area of her shop, as she and Danson went inside one of the rooms of the shop.

As soon as they were inside the room (where all the dresses she made are stored), Dian began to question Danson about Hannah. “She must be really special to you that you have to ask me favors, huh, Danson?” she said, smiling at him. She choose and took off the dresses from the rack, and handed it to him. “She’s a special girl, jie…” he said. “Are you courting her?”
“No, she’s just a friend.”
“You told me she is a special girl.”
“Let’s just say she’s my girl best friend. We got close recently, and since then, we hang out a lot.”
Danson leaned at the mirror, and Dian looked at him. “I get to talk to her about my problems. She’s always there to cheer me up. She give me advises, and she listens to what I’ve got to say. This is just a little gift that I want to give to her…” he said to his sister. “Well, I’m glad that you’re back to being your old self again, Danson. I’ve missed that. As long as this girl makes you happy, even if she is just your ‘friend’, then I approve of her.” Dian said. “Thanks, jie. And thanks for helping us out.” He said. “Wei, better bring these dresses outside, Hannah must be bored by now.” She said. Danson nodded his head, and headed out of the room.

Dian hugged the dresses she was holding as she watched her brother leave the room. She smiled to herself, for he is turning back to the old Danson that she knows. Ever since his ex-girlfriend, Sunnie, left him to work abroad, he have always kept to himself. He never goes out of the house, or even hangs out with his friend. She was glad that when he transferred to St. John’s University, he slowly opened up. He joined the soccer team, and made new friends. All she wished for is that Danson could finally find the girl who would replace Sunnie in his heart, and she hoped that girl would be Hannah. She just met her today, but she liked her. She heard a lot of her from Danson prior to meeting her, and she was happy that Hannah is Danson’s friend.

Meanwhile, Hannah saw Danson carrying a lot of dresses. “Whoa! How come you have a lot of dresses there?” she asked. “It’s all for you to try out.” He said as he placed the dresses on the rack. Hannah could not believe what Danson said. “You mean to say I can try out these dresses?” she asked. Danson smiled and nodded his head. “You can try out these beautiful dresses made by Taiwan’s top fashion designer.” He said. Hannah stood up from her seat, and walked towards the rack where Danson put the dresses. She smiled as she let her fingers run through the beautiful dresses in front of her. “I can’t believe it… I felt like I’m Cinderella…” she said as she looked at the dresses. “Let me guess? Am I the fairy godmother, or the prince charming?” he asked. Hannah looked at Danson and laughed at him. “OK, OK… I know I’m not your idea of a prince charming. I’ll be your fairy godfather instead.” He said. Hannah could only laugh at him. “So where’s your magic wand?” she asked. “That’s the problem, I don’t have one. I only have the magic hanger that holds these dresses.” He said, as he burst out laughing. Danson took a dress from the rack, and then handed it to him. “OK, Cinderella…” he said as he handed him the dress. “Try this first dress on. Let’s see if Prince Calvin will fall in love with you if you’re wearing this.” Hannah took the dress from his hand, and then headed to the fitting room to try it out.

The first dress that Danson handed her is a white haltered dress that falls above her knees. She got out of the fitting room, and she saw Dian and Danson sitting on the couch, looking at her carefully and checking if the dress looks good on her. She could see the frown on their face, and then, they shook their heads. “That’s too y for you. Go and pick another dress, and change.” Danson said. She took another dress from the rack and went inside the fitting room. The second dress she picked up was a black, tube, fitted dress that falls above her knees. After changing, she got out of the fitting room again to show them the dress. Again, she saw Danson frowning at her. He shook his head, and gave a thumbs down sign. Hannah took another dress and changed. Every time she shows them the dress she is wearing, Dian and Danson would disapprove of the dress they are wearing. Well, there are times that Dian would approve of it, since she thinks it looks good on Hannah, but Danson would tell her otherwise and ask her to change. The last dress she picked is a pink off-shoulder dress with a flowery skirt. As soon as she changed on it, she went out of the fitting room to show it to Danson.

Dian could not believe that one of her newest creation would look good on her. “You look pretty on that dress, sweetie…” she said to her. Hannah looked at her and smiled. “Thanks, Dian jie.” She said. Meanwhile, Danson was just staring at her, his mouth open. He could not believe how pretty she is in that dress. “What do you think, Danson?” Dian asked him. Danson just staring at Hannah, mesmerized by how she looks. “Dannie?” Dian called again. She waved her hand in front of his face t distract him, and she was successful. As if he came back from a dream, Danosn regained his focus. “Well… you’re very pretty in that dress, I must say.” He said to Hannah. Hannah could feel her cheeks turn pink at his compliment. “Thanks…” she said in a low voice. “But something is wrong…” he continued. He stood up from his seat, and then walked towards her. He looked at her as he stood in front of her. He took off the eyeglasses she was wearing, and Hannah could only blink as he took off her glasses. Danson smiled, satisfied not with the way she looks. “That’s more like it.” He said. “So I guess I just have to wear contacts on my recital.” She said. Danson nodded his head. “You better do.” he said, staring into her eyes. For a moment, he was mesmerized by her again. It's as if he was lost as he looked into her big black orbs.

“Ehem...” they heard Dian cough. They looked at her, and tried to suppress their laughter. She didn't want to ruin this romantic movie-like scene, as she was enjoying watching the two 'friends'. It's like watching love blossoming right before her eyes, but she would only be envy at them. “So, Dannie... are you going to get the dress?” Dian asked. Danson nodded his head. “Wait... ummm... I don't think I can afford this dress.” Hannah said hesitatingly. Dian just smiled at Hannah. “Well, you can have the dress for free. Danson here will pay for it in other ways.” she said, grinning at Danson. “Why do I have a feeling that you will enslave me again?” Danson said, frowning at his sister. The two girls just looked at each other, and then laughed.

--

Danson drove Hannah home that night. “Thanks, Danson.” Hannah said. “Thanks for today...” Danson looked at her, and smiled. “Anything for you.” he said. “If I didn't know that you like Kit, I would think you're doing this to me because you have a crush on me...” she said. Danson just laughed at her. “Please, Hannah. How would I have a crush on you? You snore, you cry when you sleep, you always throw tantrums, you easily get mad, and you're such a nerd.” he said. Hannah raised an eyebrow at him. “Oh, how could I forget? I don't like erts having a crush on me...” she said. Danson looked at her, his eyebrows narrowed. “I told you before I am just being friendly with that girl!” he said. Hannah just laughed at him, and then she crossed her arms. She liked it when Danson's annoyed about the whole Snowy-thing. “Why are you explaining to me. You should explain to Kit.”
“Why do you keep on bringing up that topic?”
“Because I like annoying you. You looked cute when you're annoyed.”

Danson's lips formed into a smile. “Well, the feeling's mutual...” he said to her. “You're cute when you pout, pretty when you're mad, and much prettier when you smile.” Hannah blushed at what he said.
“I think you have a crush on me. You're blushing.” Danson said. Hannah glared at him. “Please, Danson. You're not my type.” she said. “At least it's clear...” he said. “Because I don't want you and Kit to fight over me...” he said. Hannah raised an eyebrow at him again. “Yeah, right...” Danson smiled at her again. “You know, you're not bad yourself. If only I met you earlier, maybe I would like you too.”
“And maybe if we became close friends before, maybe I would have a crush on you as well.”
“Any guys who will get to know you would want to have you as their girl.”
“And you could be every girl's prince charming.”
“Calvin would be lucky to have you as his girlfriend.”
“Kit's lucky to be loved by someone like you.”

Danson gazed into her eyes for a long time, and smiled at her. He moved closer towards her, too close that Hannah could feel his heart beating. The tip of their noses touched. Both of them closed their eyes, anticipating the kiss, but then it hit Danson. “Wait.... why am I going to kiss her?” he thought. “Wait? Why am I waiting for him to kiss me?” Hannah thought. The two of them opened their eyes, and stared at each other for a long time, before Hannah pushed away from me. She laughed nervously at him. “Wow... did we both just got carried away or what?” she said. “You're not mad at me, aren't you?” he asked in a worried tone. Hannah looked at him, shaking her head as she smile. “Well... uh.. I guess we...”
“We we're just joking around.”
“Yeah... we're just joking around, and the joke got out of hand, right?”
Danson nodded his head. “You still like Kit, right? You can't have a crush on me, right?” Hannah asked. Danson nodded his head. “Good. Because I still like Calvin.” she said. “Well, that's a relief...” Danson said. “Just promise me... promise me you'll never fall in love with me, OK?” Hannah said. Danson nodded his head. “I'll see you tomorrow. I'll get going.” she said. The she got out of his car, and Danson watcher her as she went inside her house. “What if... what if I couldn't help it?” he thought. He just shrugged his shoulder, and started the engine of his car.

--

[Flashback]
Danson laid Hannah on her bed. He sat beside her, and watched her as she slumbered peacefully. “Sleep tight...” he said. He slowly stood up from her bed, but he felt Hannah hold his hand. “Don't leave me...” he heard her say. He looked at her again, and smiled. “She might be dreaming...” he thought. He sat on her bed again and decided to stay with Hannah. “Don't worry...don't be scared...” he whispered to her. “I'm just here... I'll take care of you...”

He her hair as she watched her leave. “Promise me, you won't leave me... don't leave me...” he heard her say. Danson smiled at her. “I wouldn't. I'm just here.” he said to her. He leaned over her to kiss her on her forehead. Then, he looked at her face again. He smiled to himself as he stared at her. He put her head over his arm, and laid down beside her. He heard her mumble a name, but he couldn't understand what she was saying. “What? Who is that?” he thought. Then, he felt Hannah turn to face him. She put his arm around him. Danson could only let out a laugh. He never thought Hannah could be like this when she's drunk. “Stay with me, please...” he heard her say again. “Hey, I'm still here, don't worry.” he said. Just then, Hannah reached up to him, and kissed him on the lips. Danson was shocked at that kiss, but he could not bring himself to push Hannah away. Danson closed his eyes, and kissed Hannah back.

[End of Flashback]

Danson sat up on his bed, unable to sleep. Whenever he remembers that kiss, he felt guilty. He should have not took advantage of Hannah's drunken state that night. What's weird though is, when he looks at Hannah, he has this urge of kissing her again. “Wei... why am I feeling this way toward her?” he thought. He brushed his hair and then laid back on his bed. “Don't tell me I'm falling for her? But it can't be! I love Kit... and I know she is in love with Calvin...” he said to himself. He just shrugged off that though as he closed his eyes, and drift into a deep slumber.

--

“Hannah!”
Hannah looked back, and saw Joy rushing up to her. “Oh, hi Joy. What can I do for you?” she asked. “I need your help in Algebra. I can't get help from Calvin since he seems not to be with himself lately... and when I try to ask Kit, she's always busy consoling Calvin.” she said. Hannah gave her friend a confused look. “Why? What happened to Calvin and Kit?” she asked. “Didn't you know? Calvin and Trixie already broke up. He found out that Trixie is not really the paper crane girl, and worst, he found out that she had and affair with Mike He.” Joy explained. Hannah was surprised at what he heard. “Really? Poor Calvin... he must be heartbroken right now...” she said. Joy just nodded his head. “That's why Kit is trying her best to cheer him up. Chun and Jiro were also trying. The only ones who haven't done their part is you and Danson.” Joy said. Then, Joy looked away at Hannah and sighed. “Actually, I was also trying to get help from Danson regarding our lessons, but he seems to be always in a rush...” then she turned to Hannah again. “He just couldn't wait to see you.” she said, winking at her. Hannah could sense that Joy is trying to insinuate something. “Aiyo... Danson and I are just friends...” she said defensively. “Fine. If that's what you say, then I believe you.”

Just then, they saw Danson and Chun walking in the opposite direction. They were chatting about their plans for that weekend as they were walking. As they passed by the two girls, Danson waved at them, and Joy and Hannah waved back at them. He was already a few steps away from him, when he looked back at Hannah. At that same instance, Hannah looked back at him. They both smiled at each other as they stared at each other for a while. Joy noticed this, and could sense that something is going on with her friends. Maybe they didn't just want to admit it now, but she could already see the love blossoming between them. “OK. I'll still believe that nothing's going on between the two of you even thought he looks at you differently.” Joy said. Hannah turned to her, and gave him a confused look. Joy could only roll her eyes at her. “Oh please, Hannah. It's obvious. It seems like Danson likes you! Anyone could tell with the way he looks at you. He never looked at that at any girls, as far as I know...” she said. Hannah just laughed at what Joy said. “Wei, Danson and I are only friends. Besides, you know that I only have eyes on Calvin, and he likes someone else. We're just friends.” she said. Joy crossed her arms and then smirked at her. “Am I hinting bitterness in your tone?”

--

“Can I ask you something, Dannie boy?” Chun asked as soon as Joy and Hannah were already out of site. Danson just nodded his head. “Do you like Hannah? Not like as a friend, but like as in like like?” Chun asked. Danson was caught off-guard by his question. “Wei! What made you think I like Hannah?” he asked. “There's something with the way you look at her. You don't look at Kit or Joy that way. There's a big difference, it's like you eyes are filled with lust when you look at her...” Chun said. Danson paused, and then smacked Chun in the head. “Aww....” Chun said, flinching in pain. “I'm just asking...”
“You and your dirty mind...”
“Hey, just answer my question, will you? Is there something going on between the two of you that we don't obviously know?”

Danson just looked at Chun. “No...” he said. “And besides, we both likes someone else...” he continued. Chun just smirked at his friend as he looked at his disappointed face. “Then, why do I hear a hint of bitterness in your answer?”

--

It was the day of Hannah's recital.

Danson waited for his friends outside the school auditorium. As the clock ticks, he is getting more nervous. They all promised that they would come to watch Hannah, but they're still not here. He sighed with anxiety. In just fifteen minutes, her recital would start Danson reached for his phone, and dialed Kit's number. After two rings, Kit answered his call. “Wei, don't worry, we're already here...” he heard her say. He looked up, and saw them walking towards him. He sighed with relief as he saw his friends. “Hey, buddy!” Jiro said.. “Have you seen the look on Danson's face as he was waiting for us? Man, he sure is going to panic...” Chun said. All of them laughed, except for Danson, who just glared at Chun. “Of course I would panic because we promised Hannah that we will watch her perform.” he said. “Hey, don't take it to heart. We never break our promise. And besides, we also support Hannah.” Calvin said. Danson looked at Calvin and smiled. He's happy to see his friend smiling now. He knows that the past two weeks have been a hell for him because of his breakup with Trixie, but it seems now that he have moved on. “Welcome back, buddy.” he said to him. Calvin just smiled at him. “And I'm so glad to be back...” he said.

Then, Joy noticed that Danson was holding a bouquet of purple daises in his hand. “So, is that for Hannah?” she asked, pointing at the floweres. Danson looked at the flowers, and then nodded his head. “Yup, these are for her...” he said. “Aww... you're so sweet, Dannie boy!” Chun teased. Danson sighed again as he gave Chun an irritated look. “Aiyo, stop it, OK?” Jiro said. He have to step in between the two guys before Danson could lose his temper with Chun. “Let's go inside The recital must be starting now.” Kit said. All of them agreed, so the headed inside the auditorium.

Calvin and Danson followed the four, and as soon as they were already far from then, he tapped Calvin's shoulder. “Cal, can I ask you a favor?” he said.. Calvin looked at him and nodded his head. “What is it?”
“Can you give these flowers to Hannah after the recital?”
Calvin nodded his head, but he gave him a confused look. “OK, but why can't you give it to her?” he asked. “Because she would appreciate it more if you give it to her. And one more thing, don't tell Hannah that I bought these flowers, OK?” he said. Calvin just nodded his head. He took the flowers from Danson's hand, and then proceeded to his seat. Danson watched Calvin as he took his seat, then he looked at the stage. He hoped that his plan would work out, and Hannah would be happy with what he did.

--

After her piece is over, everyone applauded Hannah. Hannah stood up from her seat, and then went to the center of the stage and bowed Then, she walked over the microphone to give her little speech. “Thank you all for watching my recital. You never knew how important this is for me...” she began. “Most of all, thanks to my new-found friends who came here to support me today...” Then, she turned her eyes on Danson, and saw him wink at him. Hannah just smiled at him. Then, she took the microphone again. “I'll be playing my last two pieces. These pieces are really common, but I know that there are people out there that would appreciate them, as they are their favorites. I chose to play these songs, because the people whom I would dedicate these to are very special to me, and close to my heart.”

After her speech, she went back to her seat, and began to play. The first song she played on the piano is 'Moon River'. In the middle of the song, she glance at Calvin from the audience, and saw that he was smiling at her. She could feel her cheeks turning pink as he saw him smile. She was glad that Calvin liked the piece she is playing right now. The song ended, and the next she played on the piano is 'Over the Rainbow', which is Danson's favorite tune. She glanced at Danson, and saw him smiling as well. And just like the first song she played on the piano, she played his favorite tune with all her heart. She practiced to perfect this, and it all paid off when she saw them enjoying themselves as they listen to her lay their favorite tunes. As the song ended, She stood up from her seat, and bowed in front of the audience. The audience stood up from their seats, and then applauded her again. She have been doing this all her life, but she still gets excited when the crowd applauds her. She took another bow before the curtain closed.

Meanwhile, Danson leaned over Calvin and whispered something to him. “Give the flowers to her now...” he said. Calvin looked up at him and nodded his head. They saw Hannah rushing up to them, smiling. The people who saw her congratulated her for her outstanding performance that night. She said her thanks to them, and then walked up to her friends. “Congratulations, Hannah!” Kit said, giving her a hug. 'Thank you. I'm glad you guys were able to come.” she said. “We won't miss this for the world. Glad we watched your recital, you're really great up there.” Jiro said. Then, Calvin walked towards her, and then handed her the bouquet of flowers. “For you...” he said, smiling at her. Hannah blushed again as she took the flowers from his hand. “Thank you...” she said.. Then, she looked at Danson, who was giving him a thumbs up sign. For him, this is a good start for Calvin and Hannah.

They all walked towards the exit of the auditorium, Kit and Danson were walking behind them. “Wei... why didn't you tell Hannah that the flowers came from you?” she asked. “It doesn't matter if she found out it came from me or not. Just look at how happy she is.” he said. Kit looked at Hannah, who was chatting with Calvin. She could also see the smile on her face as they talked. “Well, she's one happy girl tonight. You're really a great friend, Danson.” Kit said. Danson just smiled at Kit. “I would do everything to make Hannah happy, because she made me happy today as well.” he said, as he continued to watch Hannah and Calvin.

--

“Thank you for tonight.” Hannah said when Danson drove her home that night. “Anything for you. I'm glad you had your moment with your dream boy.” he said. Hannah just laughed at him. “He said he was happy when I played 'Moon River' since it's his favorite. Were you happy when I played your favorite tune?” she asked. “I could be more happy if you played 'Lydia' by F.I.R, but you didn't....so I guess I'll be OK with you playing 'Over the Rainbow' instead of my favorite song.” he said. Hannah hit his arm, but instead of hearing him say ouch, she heard him laugh. “Seriously, I'm happy seeing you happy tonight. It's a good start for you and Calvin...”
“So, are you making your moves on Kit now?”
“Not yet. I can always make my move since I'm already close to her, it's you that I'm worrying about.”

Hannah smiled at Danson, and then gave him a kiss on the cheek. He was surprised at what she did. “Hey, it's a friendly kiss... to let you know how much I appreciate you. Thank you for always being there for me.” she said. Danson looked at her and smiled. “No, thank you for being such a great friend. Thank you for always listening to me.” he said. Then, Hannah said goodbye to him, and reached for the door. Before she got out of his car, she looked at Danson again. “By the way, Danson...” she said. “Thank you for the beautiful flowers you've given me.”