Shell Necklace

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
Note: Now that we know who the paper crane girl is, it's now time to tell the story of Jay and Tin.

--

10 years ago...

“Kit!” Little Kit paused, and turned around. She saw her best friend, Calvin running up to her. “Wei... what are you doing? I thought you'll be leaving today as well?” she asked. Calvin gave his best friend a toothy smile. “I want to give you this before I leave...” he said. Then, he held up a blue friendship bracelet. Kit's eyes widened as she saw that. “Wow! That's the friendship bracelet we made in our Home Economics class?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “You gave me yours, so I'm giving this to you. Sorry it took me so long to get this... I have to hide these from the other girls.” he explained. Kit laughed at him. At 9, Calvin sure is a heartthrob and a heart breaker in the making. A lot of girls have a crush on him at their school, and knowing that Kit is his best friend, they would always throw dirty looks at her. Calvin do his best to protect her from those girls who wants to bully her.

Kit extended her hand to him, and then Calvin put the friendship bracelet on her wrist. “Don't ever lose this OK? If you lose this, you have to find me a blue shell.” he said. “Of course I won't lose this!” Kit said. “I don't trust you. You tend to lose a lot of things. Remember the whistle I gave you during scouting days? You lost it.” he said. Kit put her hands on her waist and glared at him. “I did not!” she shouted at him. Calvin folded his arm and smirked at her. “Then, where is it?” he asked. Kit just stared at him, not answering his question. “It... It's somewhere... in my room.” she said. Calvin just laughed at his best friend. “OK... I believe you when you said it's in your room. Just promise me you won't lose this bracelet, OK?” he said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Will you promise to call me once you're already at the resort?” he asked. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Promise me you'll call me once you're there at your grandma's, OK?” she said. Calvin nodded his head. He said his goodbye to his best friend and ran back inside their house. As he turned to leave, the smile on his face disappeared. This is supposed to be their summer together, but he won't be spending it with his best friend.

--

“Room for three, please.” Mr. Wang said to the receptionist as soon as they arrived. Little Jiro clung to his mother, as he waited for their father. “Mom, can I go and swim later?” he asked. Mrs. Wang looked at his son and smiled. “Sure, honey. As soon as we get settled, we'll go and swim, OK?” she said. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. Then, his father turned to them. “Let's go to our room, OK?” he said to them. “OK, dad.” Jiro said. He followed his parents up to their room.

After a while, Kit' family have arrived at the resort. “Good morning, Mr. And Mrs. Jin.” the receptionist said. “Hi Alice. Is my sister around?” Mrs. Jin said. The receptionist smiled and nodded her head. “Mrs. Lin have been expecting you.” she said. Then, the receptionist turned to Kit and smiled at her. “Are my cousins here as well?” she asked. The receptionist nodded her head. “Ariel and Matthew are here as well.” she said. She turned to her mom and smiled. “Wow! Ariel and Matthew are here as well. Too bad, Calvin's not with us.” she said, giving a pout. Mrs. Jin her head and smiled. “Calvin and his family needs to visit their grandma. She is sick...” she explained. Kit just nodded her head. “By the way, Mrs. Jin, your sister have reserved the usual cottage for you and your family.” Alice said. Mr. Jin nodded his head and smiled at Alice. “Well, I guess let's settle first in our cottage before we go and look for Lisa, OK?” he said as turned to his wife.

After they settled in their cottage, Kit and her parents went to the restaurant to meet her Aunt Lisa. As they entered the restaurant, they saw Lisa and her kids at one of the table. “Lisa!” her mom called. Her Aunt looked at them and smiled. “Joanne!” her aunt called. They walked towards them and greeted her aunt. “It's been a long time since I last saw you, Kit. You've grown taller. “ her aunt told her. “I'm as tall as Matthew now!” she said, giving her aunt a smile. They all had lunch together, and after a while, Kit and her cousins decided to have a stroll at the beach.

“So, what are we going to do? I'm so bored...” Matthew asked. “Want to build sand castles?” Kit asked. Ariel shook her. “It's boring.” she said. “Hey, how about if we play Frisbee instead?” Matthew asked. The two girls shook their head. Matthew frowned at his twin sister and cousin. “I wonder why you didn't bring Calvin, Kit. It's boring without him around, and I'll be stuck with you girls.” he said. Kit folded her arms, and glared at him. “So, you're saying me and Ariel are no fun?” she asked. Matthew nodded his head. “Of course! You're both girls. How can I have fun if my playmates are girls?” he said. “Then go and find a guy kid here. Kit and I doesn't want to play with you either!” Ariel shouted at his twin brother. “As if. I don't think there are kids around here. So, I'm still stuck with you guys.” Matthew said. “Its either we leave you alone here on your own, or you come with me and Ariel. Your choice.” Kit said to her cousin. Matthew sighed, and then lifted up his hands. He have no other choice but to stick with the two girls. “Fine. I'm coming with you...” he said. Ariel and Kit giggled as soon as he agreed to stick with them. “Hey, Kit... didn't Uncle Sam promised you a pink shell necklace this summer? He said he'll find the pink shells to make your necklace.” Ariel said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Yes, I remember that. Last year, he made you one and he promised to make me another one when I come back here.” she said. “Then I think we should go look for Uncle Sam. I'd rather hang around him than with you girls.” Matthew said. Ariel rolled his eyes at her brother, and Kit stuck out her tongue at him.

--

The three kids were walking towards the souvenir shop, when an old man came out of the shop. Ariel and Kit's face lightened up as they saw him. “Uncle Sam!” they all shouted. The old man looked at them and smiled. “Ariel! Kit! Matt!” he greeted. The two girls gave the old man a big hug. “We missed you, Uncle Sam...” Kit said. Uncle Sam let go of the girls and then smiled at them. “And of course, I missed you all as well...” he said. Then, he noticed that something is missing in the group. “Where's little Calvin?” he asked. “Calvin have to visit his sick grandma, that's why he wasn't able to come here this summer.” she explained. Uncle Sam just nodded his head. “Hao lah, hao lah... come inside the shop. I have made some toys for you.” he said. They nodded their head, and followed Uncle Sam inside the shop.

Inside the shop, Uncle Sam gave them the toys he made especially for them. He gave Matthew a toy airplane and a rag doll dressed in Hawaiian for Ariel. “Thank you, Uncle Sam!” the twins said. Uncle Sam smiled at the two and nodded his head. Then, he turned to Kit. “As for you, little Kit, I've made something special for you.” he said. He pulled the drawer of the counter, and then took at pink shell necklace. Kit's eyes widened in awe as Uncle Sam showed him the necklace. “Wow! Uncle Sam, it's pretty!” she said. “Of course. Only for a pretty little lady like you.” he said. Then, he helped put the necklace on Kit. “Uncle Sam, can you tell me again your story about the pink shell necklace?” Ariel asked. Matthew shook his head in dismay. “Oh, no... not that story again!” he exclaimed. Ariel put her hands on her waist and glared at her twin. “If you don't want to listen, then don't! Nobody's forcing you to listen to Uncle Sam's story.” she said. Uncle Sam just watched the twin as they argue again. “Hao le, hao le... I will tell the story if the majority wins.” he said. Kit smiled at him and nodded her head. “I want to hear the story again, Uncle Sam.” she said. She looked at her cousins, and saw Ariel sticking out her tongue at her twin brother.

The three kids and Uncle Sam sat on the floor, and he began to tell the tale of the shell necklace.

“Once upon a time, there was a princess who lived in a castle near a beach. Everyday, she would go to the beach and collect sea shells. One morning, while she was walking along the shore, she noticed a man lying unconsciously on the sand. She immediately ran towards her, and woke him up. The man finally woke up, and when she saw the princess, he instantly fell in love with her. She later found out that this man is a prince from a far kingdom, and that his ship was wrecked the night before because of a storm. The princess's father let the prince stay in their kingdom until he gets well, and during that time, the two have fallen in love with each other and became a couple.

One day, the prince's father came to take his son. The prince have no choice but to go with his father an obey him. Before that day when the prince will leave, the princess patiently gathered all the pink shells she saw by the shore and made it into a necklace. On the day that of the prince's departure, the princess gave it to him, asking him not to forget about her and their love. The prince promised that, and even promised to the princess that he will come back one day for her. As a token of his love, he gave the princess a rare blue sea shell.”

Ariel and Kit listened carefully to Uncle's Sam story. “Did the prince finally came back to the princess?” Kit asked. Uncle Sam just gave her a warm smile. “That, my dear, is up to you to find out. If the prince came back for the princess, or if the princess only waited in vain for the prince.” he said. Kit frowned at him. “It would be sad if the prince didn't came back for the princess...” she said. “I think the prince did came back for the princess, Kit. Right, Uncle Sam?” Ariel said. “My dear, not all fairy tales have happy endings. Maybe the prince came back and fulfilled his promise, and maybe the prince have forgotten all about the princess once he's back at their kingdom.” Uncle Sam said. “The prince should fulfill his promise to the princess. After all, he love the princess, right?” Kit asked. Uncle Sam just nodded his head. “Yes, the prince have not forgotten all about the princess, but there are a lot of things that happened that's why he was not able to come back for her. In the end, the princess got tired of waiting for the prince, and decided to marry the one her father wanted for her. When the prince came back for her, he was too late...” he said. Then, he looked at the kids and smiled warmly. “So, always keep your promises no matter how impossible it is. Do you understand, kids?” he asked. Ariel, Kit and Matthew nodded their heads.

--

Ariel and Kit were strolling along the shore when a boy bumped into Kit, making her fall on the ground. “Ouch!” Kit said. The boy paused, and looked back at her. “Sorry!” he shouted, then he ran away from them. “What a rude kid!” Ariel said after she helped up her cousin. “At least he said sorry.” Kit said. “But he should've helped you up. He's not a nice boy.” Ariel said. Kit just smiled at Ariel, and then looked at the boy who bumped into her. She saw him already in the water, swimming all by himself. “He's just excited to swim, that's all...” she said. “Hah! As if the beach would leave that he have to be that excited!” Ariel snapped. Kit just laughed at her cousin, then they continued their walk.

After a while, they heard someone shouting for help. They looked at the water, and saw the boy, who bumped into Kit, drowning. “Help!” the boy shouted. “Oh my God! That boy is drowning!” Kit said in a panicked voice. She was about to ran towards him, but Ariel stopped her. “Wait, Kit! Don't go! You might drown as well if you try to help him.” Ariel said. Kit shook her head. “I'll be OK. I know how to swim, remember?” she said. Then, she broke free from Ariel and ran after the boy. She ran towards the water and swam towards the drowning boy. She took his hand, and then she swam back to the shore.

As soon as they reached the shore, the lifeguard on duty took the boy and laid him on the sand. He performed CPR on the boy until he spat out all the water he drank and became conscious. “Jay!” they heard someone call. The boy slowly opened his eyes, and the first person he saw was the girl who saved him. He saw her smiling at him, and he smiled back at her. “Thank you...” he said in a low voice. “Jay, dear!” he heard his mother said. Jiro sat up on the sand, and then hugged his mother. “You scared me there, Jiro. I told you not to swim alone...” she said. “I'm sorry mom, I won't do it again.” Jiro said. “Ma'am, good thing this little girl here was alert and was able to save your son from drowning. It would be much better if you take your son to the infirmary so that our doctors could check on him.” the lifeguard said. Mrs. Wang nodded her head, and then turned to the girl beside him. “Thank you, dear. Thank you for saving my son.” she said. Kit smiled at her and nodded her head. She watched as she took her son up and walked towards the infirmary. Along the way, the boy looked back at her and smiled at her.

--

Kit decided to follow the little boy at the infirmary. As soon as his mother and the doctor is gone, she decided to sneak inside the small room to take a look at the boy. She took a seat beside his bed, and watched him as he sleeps. After a while, the boy slowly opened his eyes. “It's you!” he said in a weak voice. Kit smiled at him and nodded her head. Jiro sat up from his bed and smiled at her. “Thank you for saving him, and I'm sorry for bumping into you and not helping you up a while ago. I guess I'm a little excited to get into the water...” he said. “It's OK with me. Would it be OK with you if we become friends?” she asked. Jiro nodded his head. “By the way, I'm Jiro, but you can call me Jay.” he said as he extended his hand. Kit took his hand and shook it. “I'm Katherine, but you can call me Kit. That's what my best friend call me.” she said. Jiro gave her a confused look. “Kit? But that sounds like a boy's name.” he said. Kit shook her head. “I don't know. Calvin calls me Kit because he can't pronounce Kate when we first met. Since then, he's stuck with calling me Kit.” she said. Jiro looked at her as he scratched his chin. “Hmmm... would it be OK with you if I give you a new nickname?” he asked. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “I know. From now on, I will call you Tin. That's more lady-like. Is it OK with you?” he asked. “I love that name. Of course, you can call me Tin.” she said.

Just then, Jiro's mother and the doctor came. “Oh, it's the little girl who saved my son.” Mrs. Wang as she smiled at Kit. “Mom, this is Tin, my new friend.” Jiro said to his mom. Mrs. Wang knelt down in front of Kit and smiled at her. “It's nice meeting you, Tin.” she said. Kit looked at her and smiled. “It's nice meeting you too, Auntie.” she said. “Mom, would it be OK if Tin and I go for a walk? I'm getting bored here in the infirmary...” Jiro asked. Mrs Wang nodded her head. “OK, but do not swim without any adults around, OK?” she said. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. Jiro stood up from his bed, then he took Kit's hand and they got out of the infirmary.

--

“So, what do you want to do, Tin?” Jiro asked as they were walking down the shore. “I've been wanting to build sand castles, but my cousins doesn't want to do it with me....” Kit said to him. Jiro smiled and nodded his head. “I'll build sand castles with you...” he said. Kit's face lightened up at what he said. “Really?” she asked. Jiro nodded his head again. “Of course, I would. It's much safer that swimming alone...” he said. Both of them laughed at what he said.

They settled themselves at one side of the beach that doesn't have much people around. Jiro was in charge with getting the sand, while Kit was in charge with forming it into a castle. As they were playing around – throwing sands at each other, and splashing sea water at each other. They were too busy playing around, that they did not notice that the sand castle that they were building have been swept away by a big wave. “Our sand castle!” Kit exclaimed as she saw the big wave hit their castle. The smile on her face disappeared the sand castle turned back into a flat sand. “Hey, cheer up...” Jiro said. Kit looked at him, and she saw him smiling. “We can build another sand castle tomorrow. It will be much bigger than the one we made today.” Jiro said. Kit smiled at him. “Promise?” she asked. Jiro nodded his head. “Promise.” he said. “Let's meet tomorrow outside our cottage so that we could make the sand castle and play again, OK?” Kit asked. Jiro nodded his head again.

--

The next day, Kit and Jiro agreed to meet by the beach. As Kit got out of their cottage, she saw Jiro sitting by the shore. “Jay!” she called. Jiro looked back, and saw Kit running up to him. “Hi Tin! Ready to make the sand castles now?” he asked. Kit nodded her. “Before we do, I want you to go with me to meet a friend. Is that OK with you?” she asked. Jiro just nodded his head. “Can your friend be my friend as well?” he asked. “Of course! Uncle Sam would be happy to be your friend to. Who knows, he might also give you a toy if we go and see him today.” Kit said. Jiro's eyes widened with surprise at what Kit said. “Really? He's going to give me a toy?” he asked. Kit nodded her head. “See this?” she said, pointing at the pink shell necklace around “Uncle Sam made this for me. Last year, he gave my cousin Ariel one. Then, when we visited him yesterday, he gave my cousin Matthew a toy airplane. Not only is he generous, he is also a great story-teller.” she said. “Wow... I would like to meet your friend. He also tells stories?” Jiro asked. Kit nodded her head. “A lot of stories. So, we should go and meet him now so that he would have enough time to tell us stories.” she said. Jiro nodded his head. Kit held Jiro's hand, and then she led the way to Uncle Sam's small souvenir shop.

After a while, they found themselves in front of Uncle Sam's shop. The two opened the door and peeked inside the shop. They saw the old man busily cleaning the shelves. “Uncle Sam?” Kit called. Uncle Sam stopped what he was doing and looked at the door. He smiled as he saw Kit and her friend. “Oh, Kit. Come inside. I see that you brought your new friend with you...” he said. Kit and Jiro went inside the shop. “Uncle, this is Jay, one of the guests at the resort. Jay, this is Uncle Sam. The greatest uncle of all uncles!” Kit said. Uncle Sam just laughed at Kit's introduction of him. Then, he bent down in front of Jiro and extended his hand to him. “It's nice meeting you, Jay.” he said, smiling at him. Jiro smiled at him, and shook his hand. “It's nice meeting you too, Uncle Sam.” he said. Then, Uncle Sam went behind the counter and took a small toy guitar and gave it to Jiro. “Jay, accept this toy guitar as a token of our friendship.” he said to him. Jiro took it, his eyes filled with awe as he looked at it. “Wow, thank you, Uncle Sam....” he said. Then, Kit nudged him. “See, I told you. Uncle Sam is very generous. He's also a great story teller, right Uncle Sam?” Kit said. Uncle Sam laughed at Kit's compliment. Knowing her, he knows what she's going to ask for next. “I know where this is heading... OK, I'll tell you kids a story.” he said. Kit and Jiro jumped with joy as what he said. “Uncle, can you tell the story of the princess and the shell necklace again?” she asked. Uncle Sam wrinkled his forehead as he looked at Kit. “Don't you get tired of that story?” he asked. Kit smiled and shook her head. “Besides, I know Jiro here would like to hear your story.” Kit said. Jiro looked at Uncle Sam and nodded his head. “Yes, I would like to hear that story, Uncle Sam.” he said. Uncle Sam smiled warmly at the two kids. “OK... take your seats and I will tell you the story of the princess and the shell necklace.” he said.

He began to tell the story again, and as Uncle Sam speaks, he saw the awe in these children's eyes. They were all ears at him as he tell the story once more. “Did the prince came back for the princess?” Jiro asked as soon as the story is over. Uncle Sam just gave him a mysterious smile. “Maybe the prince did, maybe he did not...” he said. And just like Kit's reaction when she first heard the story, he frowned at him. “It would be sad if it's not a happy ending...” he said. “My son, in reality, not all stories have happy endings. There are times that it would have sad ending, but it would only end that way for a short time. If the prince and princess are meant to be, only fate could tell.” Uncle Sam said. Then, Jiro looked at Kit. “If I were the prince and you are the princess, I will surely come back for you...” he said. Kit smiled at him, her cheek turned into bright crimson. Uncle Sam looked at the two children, and he could see the love blooming between them at their young age. It's rare to see young people finding their first true love at a very young age, and maybe Kit and Jiro are one of those lucky people to find their love at this moment. “If you are the prince, Jay...” Uncle Sam said. “You have to keep your promise no matter what. Don't let our princess here wait for you for a long time, do you understand?” he said. Jiro looked at him and smiled as he nodded his head, keeping his promise to the elder man.

--

After they visited Uncle Sam, Kit and Jiro went to their spot on the beach where they built their sand castle the previous day. “Do you think we should find another place to build the sand castle?” Kit asked. Jiro just smiled at her. “Let's build the castle far from the shore so that the wave won't ruin it, OK?” he said. Kit smiled and nodded in agreement. Just like before, Jiro was in charge with getting the sand and water while Kit was tasked to form the sand castle. After getting enough sand and water, Jiro helped Kit to build the sand castle.

“You know what...” Jiro said as they formed the sand castle. “I'm happy to meet a friend like you. Too bad, we'll be going home tomorrow...” he said. Kit looked at him, and saw him frowning. “Aiyo... me and my family will be going home in a few days. I will miss you a lot...” Kit said. “Me too. I will surely miss you, Tin.” he said. Then, he sat on the ground and looked up at the sky. “I never had much friends back home because me and my family always travel. Whenever we settle down at one place, after a few months or year, my dad would be assigned to another place and then we'll have to go with him...”
“Don't you and your friends write to each other?”
“At first, we send each other letters but in the end, they would be too busy to write me letters. That's why I told myself I will never be friends with the other kids because it would only hurt more if I get too attached to them and then we leave that place again...”
“If they are your real friends, no matter what happen, they will never forget you...”

Jiro looked at Kit again and smiled. “Will you always remember me?” he asked. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “I will never forget you, Jay...” she said. “Me too. I will never forget you, Tin. You are the first girl I ever befriended and you will always be special to me because you saved my life.” he said. Then he lifted up his pinky finger. “Friends for life?” he asked. Kit nodded her head, and then she lifeted up her pinky finger and wrapped it around his. “Friends forever and ever!” she said.

After a while, they finished their sand castle. They decided to swim a little at the beach, and then play around. As they rested at the shore, Kit felt that something is missing from her. She felt her neck, and she could still feel the shell necklace around her. She looked at her wrist, and she was shocked to see that the friendship bracelet that Calvin gave her is missing. “Oh no!” she shouted. Jiro looked at him, and he saw that she was in the verge of crying. “What's wrong?” he asked. “My bracelet.... it's missing...” she said. Then, she began to cry. She promised Calvin that she will not lose that bracelet, but she already did. “Maybe you can get another bracelet, Tin... don't cry...” Jiro said, trying to calm her. “You don't understand...” she said in between sobs. “I promised my best friend that I wont lose it. I promised that I did, I have to find him a blue shell. It's impossible to find a blue shell here at the beach...” she said. Jiro held her hand and then gave her an assuring smile. “Don't worry, we'll find it.” he said.

The two began to search for her bracelet. They even ruined the sand castle they made, hoping to find it there, but to no avail. “Let's forget about it...” Kit said, losing all her hope in finding her bracelet. “Hey, if we can't find your bracelet, then we could find a blue shell for your friend.” Jiro said. Kit gave him a faint smile and continued with the search. It was already late in the afternoon, and they were still searching for her bracelet. “Let's stop this, Jay. I don't think we could ever find it...” Kit said to him. Jiro looked at her, and he could see how sad she is. “Hey, why don't we eat ice cream first? Then maybe we could find your bracelet or the blue shell.” he suggested. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Let's have some ice cream, but let's stop the search. Maybe the bracelet have been washed away when we were swimming a while ago. As for the blue shell, forget it. There's no such thing...” she said. Jiro walked up to her, and put his arm around her. “Aiyo, don't lose hope. We'll find it, don't worry. As for now, I'll treat you an ice cream, so cheer up, OK?” he said. Kit looked at him and smiled.

--

What Kit didn't know is that that night, Jiro sneaked out and went back to their spot to find her bracelet. He searched high and low for her bracelet, but he still could not find it. After a few hours or searching, he decided to give up. As he sat on the sandy shore, he felt something hard. He stood up again, and dug up the sand. To his surprise, he saw a blue shell. “Wow...” he thought as he pulled it. He know that Kit would be happy to see this shell. He put it inside his pocket, and as he looked at the hole that he dug up, he saw a blue bracelet lying on it. He took it, and carefully looked at it. “This must be the bracelet that Tin is looking for...” he thought. He smiled to himself, and then put the bracelet inside his pocket. He was happy that he was able to find the things that most precious to Kit, but he knows that his friend would be very happy if she finds out that he was able to find the bracelet and a blue shell.

--

The next day, Jiro's family were about to leave the resort. But before they did, Jiro asked Kit to meet her at their spot. “I'm glad you came...” Jiro said as he saw Kit walking up to him. Kit smiled at him. “I want to say goodbye to you before you go home...” she said. “Actually, I have a surprise to you...” Jiro said. Then, he took something from his pocket and held it up for her. Kit was surprised to see her bracelet in his hand. “You found it?” she asked. Jiro smiled and nodded her head. Then, he handed the bracelet to her. “Not only that. I found something interesting that I want to give it to you...” he said. Then, he took the blue shell from his pocket, and showed it to Kit. Kit was awe stricken when she saw the blue shell in his hand. She thought it was impossible to find a blue shell at the beach, but she was wrong for Jiro was able to find it. “A blue shell!” she exclaimed. Jiro took her hand, and placed the blue shell on her hand. “I will give this to you as a sign of our friendship. Promise me you'll keep this shell, OK?” he said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Will I ever see you again?” she asked. Jiro shrugged his shoulder. “Maybe... but we always come here for a vacation. Maybe next year we'll be here again.” he said. “Then let's meet here again next summer! Promise me you'll come here next summer...” Kit said. Jiro smiled at her as he nodded his head. “Promise.” he said.

Then, Kit took off the shell necklace from her neck, and put it around Jiro. “I'm giving this to you so that you won't forget me, and so that you'll always remember your promise. We'll meet here again next year, OK?” she said. Jiro nodded his head. He looked at the necklace and held it. “I promise. Like the prince in the story, I will come back for you, Princess Tin...”

--

10 years later...

Kit took her memory box, and opened it. She smiled as she looked inside it. There was Calvin's whistle, their friendship bracelet, his button from his uniform which she took by force on their high school graduation, their pictures, letters, notes. Then, at one corer, she saw the blue shell lying. She took it and stared at it for a long time. “Jay...” she thought. She still wondered what happened to her little friend. They promised to meet up at their favorite spot, but the next summer came and he didn't showed up. She waited for the next four summers, but no Jay came up. After waiting in vain, she decided to give up on his promise.

Maybe Uncle Sam is right. Like in his story, maybe the prince never really came back for the princess. Maybe the princess only waited in vain for the prince. Just like her and Jay. She was always hoping to see Jay again, but he just kept her waiting. She have always thought that she is in love with Jay, and that he felt the same way before, and that they were just kids before to admit it. But with what Jay did, making her wait for a long time, it just proves that she was wrong. Maybe if Jay is around, she could have someone whom she could divert all her attention and love to. “Instead of breaking my promise to Calvin, of not falling in love with him...” she added silently.

She took the blue shell back inside the box, and put the box aside. She have never forgotten about Jay, she have kept his promise to him. She still hoped she would see him one day...

--

Jiro took the shell necklace and stared at it. “I'm sorry Tin... I'm sorry I was not able to come back for you...” he thought. The next summer, he was so sure that his family would go back to the resort, but at the very last minute, his dad was given a promotion and was assigned to Singapore. They stayed there until he was in his second year in high school, and his dad was promoted again, prompting them to go back to Taiwan.

He badly wanted to see Tin again. If only he had his own will 10 years ago, he have came back for her. He will never break his promise to her. If only he could turn back time, he would have the courage back then to tell Tin that he loves her. He knew that he is in love with Tin the very first time he saw her, but being a kid back then, he never knew that what he felt for her is love. He tried to search for her in every girl that he dated, but he just ends up comparing those girls to Tin. In the end, what he wanted most is Tin herself. He gripped at the necklace, and buried his face on his closed fist. He had a lot of regrets in his life and his biggest regret is not seeing Tin again.

--

“Kit, Jiro's here!” she heard her mother said. Kit took her bag, and went out of her room. She saw Jiro and Chun waiting for her outside their house. She gave them a pout as she walked over them. “It's about time you guys came...” she said to them. “Aiyo! Don't blame me, blame this very vain man here!” Chun said, pointing at Jiro. Jiro smiled apologetically at Kit. “Actually, I woke up late... I'm so sorry, Kit...” he said. Kit just sighed at the two. “What can I do? I told Calvin I would be waiting for you so I let him, Danson and Joy go ahead at the amusement park.” she said. Chun smiled at Kit, and put his arm around her. “Kit, don't be mad now. See, I'm seeing wrinkles on your forehead...” Chun said. Even though she is mad at Chun and Jiro for being late, she couldn't help but laugh at Chun. “Fine, I forgive you guys. Let's go, the three might be waiting for us.” Ktit said.

Kit and Chun followed Jiro to his car. She sat at the back seat, while the two were in front. Once they were inside their car, she noticed a pink shell necklace hanging by his mirror. Before Jiro started the engine, he took that necklace and put it inside the dashboard. “Funny...” she thought as she watched Jiro took the necklace. “That necklace looks familiar...” Then, she shook her head, erasing the thought that it could be the shell necklace that Uncle Sam gave her before, after all, she and her cousin Ariel might not be the only ones who have that pink shell necklace.