Where Confusion Lies

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
Jiro could only watch as Kit and Calvin danced. He doesn't know why, but he felt suddenly scared at their closeness. There was something in the way Calvin looked at Kit that he could not let pass. There was something in the way he held her, the way he was being protective to her as if telling the world that Kit is his alone. There was something in his smile, the happiness that he could not hide now that he is with Kit.

He looked at Kit, and carefully observed her. There was this sparkle in her eyes as she looked up at Calvin. She smiled sweetly at him, something that she have never done before. She rest her head on his chest, as if asking him not to let her go.

Then, it hit him. “Could it be...” he thought. “Could it be that...”

--

Kit looked up at Calvin and smiled at him. Calvin smiled at her, as he puller her closer to him as they danced. “I've never seen you smile like this.” Kit said. Calvin laughed at what she said. “I'm just happy...”
“Happy because you were able to dance with a very pretty girl?”
“Happy because I got to dance with the most important girl in my life...”
Kit smiled at him again, and Calvin could see her blushing. “Aiyo... stop being like that...” she said. “Kit...” she heard him call her. She looked up at him. “Thank you for completing my night.” he said. Kit smirked at him. “Wei... shouldn't Joy be the one who should complete your night? After all, she is your date...” she said. “She made this night memorable as she is my date. You were the one who completed it, because you were my queen for the night.” he said. “Don't you want Joy to be your queen?”
“I want her to be my queen, but with the way you look tonight, you deserve to be my queen...”
“Too bad, I want Jiro to be my king for tonight. But I guess I'll just settle with you.”

Calvin just laughed at what she said. Then, he felt someone tap his back. He looked back and saw Jiro standing behind him. “Hey, would you mind if I dance with my princess?” Jiro asked, smiling at him. Calvin smiled at him, and nodded his head. Then, he gave Kit's hand to Jiro. “You're lucky to have Kit as your date, tonight.” he said as he patted his back. Kit and Jiro watched him as he walked towards his lady love. Jiro turned to Kit, and smiled at him. “Shall we dance, princess?” he asked. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “I would love to, my prince charming.” she said. As another song played, he held her close to him to dance.

“Hey there, beautiful girl...” Calvin said as he walked towards Joy. Joy looked at him at smiled. “Hey there, handsome...” she said. He put his arm around her waist, and then gave her a kiss on the lips. “Sorry that you were not chosen to be my queen for tonight...” he said. “It's OK, Calvin. I feel like I already won because you are my date.” she said. Calvin moved closer to her until their foreheads touched. He rubbed his nose against her, making her ticklish. “Love you...” he said in a childish voice. “Love you too...” she replied to him. She put his arms around his neck, and then they danced with the music.

Meanwhile, Kit watched Calvin and Joy together. Jiro stared at her as she watched her best friend. “Tin...” he said in a low voice. He searched for her eyes, and he saw the sadness in it as she watched them. Then, he looked at Calvin again. There's no denying that he is happy with Joy. He held her in the same way that he held Kit a while ago. His smiles at Joy is more warmer than the ones he gave Kit. He watched as he planted another kiss on Joy's lips. He looked at Kit again. “Don't they look good together?” he heard her say. Jiro just nodded his head. He could hint bitterness and sadness in her tone. “Tin...” he said in a low voice. “If there's one good thing that happened among us, it's that I'm seeing how happy my best friend is with Joy. He have loved her for so long, and I'm happy to see that he is being loved by the girl he loves.” she said to him. Then, she put his arm around his neck, and then hugged him tight. He held her, glancing at her face. The smile that he saw on her face when she danced with Calvin was not there anymore. It was a forced smile, it's as if she was trying to hide her loneliness from him, and from everybody. But most of all, he could feel she is hiding something in her heart, something that he didn't want everyone to know.

--

The engine of his car stopped as soon as they reached her house. He looked at her, and smile. “Thank you for being my date tonight... Tin...” Jiro said, smiling at her. Kit smiled at him. “I should be the one thanking you, Jay. You made this night really special.” she said. Jiro looked at her hand, and then held it. “I'll make every day and every night a special one for you. You deserve it, my princess...” he said. Then, he looked up at her. “About you and Calvin a while ago... what happened? Why did the two of you fought?” he asked. Kit laughed as he remembered what happened that night. “Hes throwing tantrums because he felt like I am ignoring him the whole night, that's why he's making a big deal out of everything. Anyway, we talked about it when we got stuck in the elevator.”
“And why did the two of you got stuck there?”
“I don't know... I was trying to get away from him because I'm really mad at him, but he followed me. It was a good thing Calvin is there with me, or something might have really happened to me. He was there to accompany me, and the make me feel at ease. You never knew how nervous I was that time.”
Jiro just nodded his head as he listed to her. “Yeah... I'm glad Calvin is there with you...” he said in a low voice as he turned his gaze away from her. Kit noticed the change in his expression. “Jay... don't tell me you are getting jealous with Calvin?” she asked. Jiro looked at her and shook her head. “I have no right to be jealous of him. He have always been a part of your life.. while I... I...”

Kit looked at him. She cupped his cheek, and made him face her. “He is my best friend. You are the man I love...” she said. Jiro felt at ease upon hearing what he said. It made him feel secure about how she feels towards her. “You don't have to be jealous of Calvin because I love the two of you, in a different way. I love him as a friend, while you... I love you with all my heart...” she said in a low voice. Jiro held her hand, and kissed her palm. “I love you too, Kit. I'm sorry if I am feeling this way... it's just that... I feel threatened by him.” he said. Kit wrinkled her brows “Wei... now it's your turn to be threatened by Calvin? Don't be like that, Jay. I love you, nothing can change that.” she assured him. “You can't blame me, Tin. I'm seeing something back there that... that...” Jiro shook his head and looked at her. Kit paused as she listened to him. Could it be that Jiro could sense that she is in love with Calvin? “It's just a crazy thought I'm having. Don't mind it.” he said. He caressed her cheek, and moved closer to her. “I love you, Tin. I love you and I trust you. I give you my heart, and I trust that you will never break it...” he said in a low voice. Then, he gave her a kiss on the lips.

Kit felt guilty at what he said. She know she love Jiro, but a part of her is still loving Calvin. She felt bad that she could not give her whole heart to Jiro, but she is trying her best to forget her feelings for her best friend. Just when she was about to give up on Calvin, he gives her the reason to continue loving him. She opened her eyes, and stared into his almond eyes. “Jay...” she said in a soft voice. She wondered where she was getting all the strength to look into his eyes, when she know for a fact that she is lying to him. “Tell me that you love me, Tin...” she heard him say. She turned into a smile. “I love you... I love you with all my heart...”

--

“Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me that I'm hurting him already...” she said to the guy sitting beside him. He looked at her for a while, and sighed. “Yes.” she heard her say. Tears began to fall from her eyes. “I... I can't do this anymore, you know... Everytime I look at him, all I see is Calvin. Every time I kiss him, I am thinking of Calvin. I thought if I gave him a chance to love me, I could soon forget about him... but in the end... in the end...”
“In the end, you are hurting yourself more.”

Silence.

She lowered her head as she stared on to the ivory keys of the piano. “I can't bear to look into his eyes anymore. Not now...” she said in a low voice. “Tell me honestly...” she heard him say. “Do you truly love him, or you only gave him a chance because you are hurting?”
“I know in my heart that I love him... I waited at long time for him... and now...”
“Someone has taken his place in your heart, that's the fact, Kit. Calvin took his place in your heart a long time ago... but you chose to take this chance with him. I don't think that you still love him, Kit...”
Kit looked at him, and he could see the confusion in his eyes. “What should I do? Tell me... what should I do?” she asked. He stared into her eyes before answering. “You know what you should do. You don't have to ask me...”

--

Chun took a deep breath before he entered the classroom. He looked at the bouquet of his hand and shook his head. “Why the hell am I doing this?” he thought. He entered the classroom, and saw Kit at her usual seat, just right beside Calvin. He walked towards her, and then put the bouquet on her table. Kit was surprised to see the flowers, but she is more surprised to see that it came from Chun. “Chunnie?” she asked. Calvin looked up at Chun and glared at him. “Wei, Wu Chun. My best friend already have a boyfriend. Do you think it's too late to court her?” he snapped at him. Chun looked at Calvin and rolled his eyes at him. “It didn't came from me, stupid! It came from the boyfriend.” he said. Kit smiled as she took the bouquet of flowers. She buried her nose on it, and then read the card that goes with it.

You are lovely as these flowers
And your beauty never fails to mesmerize me
I love you my princess

Your prince charming.

Kit smiled as she read the card. Calvin was curious at what was written on it, so he took the card from her hand and read it. “Hey!” Kit shouted at him. She saw him laugh after reading the card. “Wei... tell you boyfriend he is too corny. Can't he think of better things to write to you?” Calvin said. Kit looked at him and rolled her eyes at him. “Jealous.” she said. “By the way,” she heard Chun said. “The boyfriend said that he have to leave early and won't be attending his classes until Friday. He have to go to the north to accompany her mom for some business. He said he's sorry for not telling you earlier, as it was too sudden, and that he'll call you as soon as they arrived there.” Chun said. Kit smiled at him and nodded her head. “Thanks for relaying the message, Chun.” she said to him. Chun nodded his head, and then left the classroom.

“Why can't he even say goodbye to you in person. Why does he have to relay the message to Chun?” Calvin asked as soon as Chun left. Kit just shrugged her shoulder. “I think he's in a hurry...” Kit said. “And look at the flowers he gave you. I told him before that you love peach roses, not any other flowers.” Calvin said. He leaned on his chair and shook his head. After hearing what he said, Kit turn to him, giving him a wondering look “You told Jiro that I like peach roses?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “Did he ever gave you peach roses?” he asked. Kit smiled at him and shook her head. “He didn't?” he asked in a surprised tone. “Aiyo... it's OK. As long as he gave me flowers and it came from his heart, that's all that matters. It's the thought that counts.” she said. Calvin shook his head. “Of course not! He know you like peach roses so he should give you peach roses. I think I'll talk to Jiro when he came back.” he said. Kit just laughed at the way he reacted, and Calvin noticed it. “What?” he asked in a sarcastic tone. “You really care for me, Cal... thank you...” she said. Calvin smiled at him and nodded his head. “I only want the best for you, that's why...” he said.

Calvin suddenly felt dizzy. He leaned on his table, and massaged his head to make it feel better. “What's wrong with me?” he thought. Kit looked at Calvin, and noticed what have happened to him. “Are you OK, Cal?” she asked. Calvin tried to smile and nodded his head. “This is nothing...” he said. He stood up from his seat, but his knees felt weak that he almost fell on the ground. Good thing Kit was able to catch him. “I don't think you're OK, Cal...” she said. She helped him back to his chair, and then she checked his temperature by putting the back of her hand on his forehead. “You're hot... well hot as in hot... hot as in other things...” she said. Calvin let out a faint laugh. “You're running a fever, buddy. That's what you get for being such a busybody!” she scolded him. “I'm going to be OK. No need to worry about me. I'll get some medicine at the clinic.”

Before he could stand up again, Kit stopped him. “Aiyo, Calvin. You need to rest. You are not just going to pop some medicine on your mouth.” she said. She stood up, and then took all of his things. “What are you doing?” he asked. Kit turned to him and smiled. “We're going home, Mr. Chen.”

--

Calvin sat up from his bed as soon as he saw Kit by the door. “Feeding time!” Kit said as soon as she entered. She put the tray beside him, and then took the soup she made for him. “You have to eat first before you drink your medicine.” she said as she put the spoonful of soup onto his mouth. Calvin sipped it, and then he smiled at her. “You know... I love being taken care by you...” he said. Kit laughed at what he said. “Then, I'll be your nurse for the day. That is until Auntie comes home tonight.” she said. He just nodded his head. “Promise me you'll stay with me the whole day...” he asked. Kit nodded her head, and help up her right hand. “I promise.” she said.

Calvin was able to finish the bowl of soup that Kit have prepared to him. She then helped him to drink his medicine. After he took his medicine, she helped Calvin on his bed. She looked around the room, and noticed that there was a jar of paper cranes on his side table. “So... you're still keeping the paper cranes, huh? If Hannah finds out about this, she will be touched...” she said. Calvin gave her a faint smile. “Nah... actually I don't collect those paper cranes and love notes as before...” he said in a weak voice. “Why? Just because Hannah is gone and there is another paper crane girl, you didn't collect the notes and the paper cranes anymore?” she asked. Calvin let out a faint laugh. “I'm getting tired with all the mystery.”
“I thought you were in love with this paper crane girl? That you think she is your soul mate because she knows what's inside your heart?”
“That was before. I realized I can't be in love with someone who doesn't exist. And besides, I have Joy... I think she is my soul mate and not this paper crane girl. And besides, I think this paper crane girl is just playing around with me... and I don't find it funny...”

Kit fell silent upon hearing what Calvin said. She felt her heart break into pieces upon hearing what he said about the paper crane girl. “Oh...” she said in a low voice. She turned away from him, so that he won't see the sadness in her eyes. “B-but... What if... what if this paper crane girl really loves you? What if... she's not playing around?” she asked. “Doesn't matter now. I thank her for the encouragement, but I don't think I can accept her love anymore. I love Joy, and I know that this time, our love is for keeps.” he said. “Besides, if she really exists, she should have shown herself to me...”
“Maybe... maybe she got scared... if... if you found out who she is?”
“She had her chance, but she just wasted it. I'm willing to accept who she is, but each time I look for her, seems like she doesn't want to be found. It's better that way, I guess.”
“If... if she showed up to you... what will you do?”
“I'll say my thanks to her, but then she can't expect me to love her anymore. I am madly in love with Joy, and Joy is my everything... she just have to accept that.”

Kit felt her tears fall from her eyes. “I... I see...” she said in a low voice. “B-but... but what if... what if that... that paper crane girl is someone... someone you didn't expect to... to fall in love with you. What if... what if you found out that... that she is someone who...” she paused. She looked back, and saw Calvin already sleeping peacefully. “What if it's that someone who is not suppose to fall in love with you?” she said in a low voice as she brushed his hair. “What if it's me? Would you be able to accept it? Would you be able to accept that I broke my promise? Would you still love, despite the fact that it's your best friend? Or would you leave me?” she wiped the tear from her eyes, and then she gave Calvin a kiss on his forehead. “I'm sorry... I can't do this anymore...” she thought. “As much as I want to love Jay... I can't love him more than I love you. I'm sorry that I have to stay away from you... because... because... it's breaking my heart, and I can't bear the pain anymore...”

She stood up from his bed and slowly crept out of his room. She threw one last glance at him before she closed the door behind her. She took her phone from her pocket, and began to dial a familiar number. She waited three rings before someone answered her call. “Hello... Joy... it's about Calvin...”

--

He opened the door of his car, and got inside. He looked at the man beside him, staring outside of the window. He sighed loudly so that he would know his presence. The guy looked at him and gave him a faint smile. “Tell me... I am wrong with my thoughts, right? I am wrong to think that...” he paused as he saw him smirk. “What is it that you are thinking?”
“I am seeing something that's not right. I've not noticed it before... but...”
“Tell me what you're thinking, maybe I have the answer...”

Silence.

“I'm scared to know the answer... I'm scared to ask because... because it might be true...” he said in a low voice. He turned his eyes away from him. “I'm scared to know the truth.” he said. “Or you're scared to find out that... that maybe...” He looked at him and gave him a glare. “Stop!” he shouted at him. “I don't want to hear it...” He sighed again, and then patted his head. “Sometimes, it's OK to get scared, to be confused. But I am telling you and you have to believe me... Jay... Tin loves you, and she wouldn't do anything to hurt you...” he aid. His lips curve into an assuring smile. “After all, she've been through a lot of heartache. I don't think she would hurt you... just trust in her...”

--

Calvin slowly opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw his the pretty smile of Joy. “Hey, koochiepoo...” he said weakly. “Hey...” she said in a low voice. She leaned towards to kiss him on the lips. He sat up on his bed, and Joy helped him. “What are you doing here?” he asked. Joy glared at him. “Why didn't you tell me you're sick? Kit have to call me about what happened to you!” she said. Calvin looked at Kit and saw her smiling at him. He was wondering why Kit called Joy. Doesn't she want to take care of him anymore? Is she tired to taking care of him? “Kit...” he said in a low voice. Kit stood up from her seat, and then went to Calvin. “I told Joy that you have a fever, so she came over to take care of you.” she said. “But... but I thought you said you'll be my nurse for the day?” he asked her. Kit let out a faint laugh and then looked at Joy. “Wei... you have your girlfriend here, willing to take care of you. I don't think you need me anymore.” she said, smiling at him. He fell silent upon hearing what she said. “I... I still need you, Kit... I need you here with me... how can you assume that I want Joy beside me when all I ever needed is you?” he thought sadly. He looked up at her, and Kit could see the anger in his eyes. “You promised...” he muttered. Kit tried to smile at him as she hold his hand. “Aiyo, Calvin... don't be like that. And besides. Joy would be could take care of you more than I do... You need her so that you'll recover soon.” she said as she winked at him.

Kit looked at Joy, and smiled at her. “It's your turn to take care of him now. If you need anything, just call me from that window.” she said, pointing at her room. Joy smiled at her and nodded her head. “Thanks for looking after Calvin while I'm not around.” she said. Then, Kit looked at Calvin. “Get well soon, OK? I'll see you once you're OK.” she said. As she turn to leave, she felt Calvin hold her hand. “Kit...” he said. She looked back at him, and then saw him turn to smile. “Thank you... thank you for always being here with me...” he said. Kit smiled at him and nodded his head. She took his hand away from him, and left his room.

--

“So, you left because you were confused? You made her believe you left because of this crazy thought?” he asked him. He paused and slowly nodded his head. “You're right... it's just a crazy thought. Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but you can't blame me. I love her... and I'm scared that...”
“That she will do what you have done to Joy before?”
“What if I'm right? What if it's the truth?”
He sighed again and shook his head. “She would never do that... you have to trust her. And she needs you now more than ever. Calvin have taken her for granted now that she is with Joy... you can't abandon her just because of that gut feel, Jiro...” he said. Jiro looked up at him, and the guy beside him could see the fear in his eyes. He know Jiro have loved Kit with all his heart, and could not bear to lose her. “I saw her that night... I saw the look in her face that moment she danced with Calvin. And I saw Calvin's face... how happy he is... Chun... don't you understand? I am scared because Calvin took away everything from me! He took Joy from me... and I'm scared that he... he will take away Kit...”
“Calvin would never do that... he love Joy too much...”
Jiro sighed and shook his head. “You're not seeing what I am seeing, Chun. You weren't there when he found out about us.” he said. “You didn't see how scared he was that I came back into her life. You didn't see the anger... because he have always thought I will take Tin from him. Chun... can't you see?” Jiro shouted at him. Chun gave him a confused look. “See what?” he asked. “That Calvin has always been in love with Kit...”

--

“I know what to do...” she said in a low voice. “It's just that my heart is telling me not to do it...” She looked away from him and stared into the piano keys once more. He put his arm around her, and stared into her sad face. “But it's the only thing left to do...” he said to her. “You're hurting yourself, can't you see? Most of all, you are hurting the guy who have loved you ever since. You have to be strong and do the right thing...” he said. She looked up at him, her tears falling from her eyes. “I should let go... But I don't know how to start. I don't know how to do it...” she said in a low voice. “Kit... even if you can't, you have to try and let go of your love for Calvin... you have to let him go gradually... and accept the fact that the two of you will be nothing more than best friends...” he said. Kit looked up at him, and smiled. She wiped the tear from her eyes. “You're right, Danson...” she said. “I will let him go this time... after my hundredth paper crane... I will stop this madness...”