Half-Truth

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
Truth: He knew right from the start that she is in love with Calvin.

--

“You already knew...” the guy said to him. “And you finally found out that she is the real paper crane girl...” Danson looked up at the guy standing in front of him, surprised that he knows what he have discovered a few days back. “You.... you knew?” he asked. The guy smiled and nodded her head. “I can tell that it has been bothering you for days.” he said. "I only know what she feels for him. But... I had a hunch before that she is the one Calvin is looking for..." he said. He crossed his arms, as he looked into Danson's eyes. "Now that you know... what will you do?"
"I... I don't know. I should tell Calvin that I found her, but..."
"But you're scared that she would be mad at you for telling her secret?"
Danson nodded his head. "I don't want her to be mad at me. She is so special to me..." he said in a low voice. "Then, do the right thing, Danson..." the guy told him. "If she means a lot to you... then protect her secret. You know what would happen if Calvin finds out, right?” he said. Danson nodded his head. “But the decision is still yours. If you will tell Calvin or not…”
“But you… why did you choose to keep your silence? You also promised Calvin you will help in finding her…”
“Yes, I did… but I have to keep my promise to her as well. Things would be complicated if he would find out…”

Danson looked away from him. His mind is still debating whether he would follow what this guy is telling him or not. “Maybe Calvin would understand...” he said to him. The guy shook his head. “I don't think he will. If he could accept she have fallen for her, then she wouldn't have resorted to this kind of thing.” the guy said. He walked towards Danson and then put his hand on his shoulder. “All she want is to let him know what she feels for him... to love him secretly. She have no intentions of letting her know...”
“She chose to suffer in silence? For her love to be unrequited?”
“That's her decision, and nothing we can do to change her mind.”
The guy smiled at him. “You, of all people should understand her. You have been loving someone secretly, I know that. But the difference between the two of you is that she chose the friendship over her feelings.”

--

Truth: They are starting to fall in love with one another, but they were stubborn enough to admit it.

--

Danson let go of Hannah, and saw her smiling at him. “I'm sorry...” he said. Hannah laughed at him. “You got carried away again, huh?” she teased. Danson chuckled as he nodded his head. “The truth is... I'm scared...” he told her. Hannah gave him a confused look. “What's there to be scared of? You're scared of being rejected?” she asked. Danson slowly nodded his head. “I could feel that there's someone else that Kit likes, someone who have been inside her heart for a long time. What if... what if she won't accept me because of that?”
“Do you really love Kit that much?”
Danson nodded his head. “Then, even if she rejects you, just continue loving her. Love her until time comes that she realizes that you re the one for her.” she answered. Hannah walked towards him, and then cupped his cheek. “You should learn to take the risk. There's no harm in trying... I'm also taking a big risk here... I'm risking my heart for the guy who does not even love me... but I am... I am doing this because I don't want to have any regrets in the end. At least I let him know what I feel.” she said.

Danson took a deep breath and smiled at her. “I think if I ever confess to Kit, I won't be able to speak a word...” he said. Hannah laughed at him. “What do you think of me? I think I will pass out if come face to face with Calvin...” she said to him. “But I want to tell Kit... the more that I keep my feelings, the more that I feel like I want to burst out...” he said. “Well, as for me, I do have a reason...” she said. Then, she looked at Danson. “I'll be leaving for Vienna in three weeks' time. If I won't tell Calvin now, there won't be anymore chances...” she said. Danson was surprised at what she said. He suddenly felt sad at what she just announced. “You... you're leaving?” he asked in shock. Hannah nodded her head. She saw the smile in his face disappear. “Why... why didn't you tell me?” he asked. He felt as if he was betrayed by Hannah. They have been friends for so long, and it looks to him that Hannah have no plans of telling him that she is leaving. “That's exactly the reason why I didn't tell you guys yet.... I don't want to see the sadness in your face once I tell you...” she said. “But you still should have told me. I'm your friend, and if you told me earlier, I could have enough time to ready myself when you're gone. I'm not used to not having you around me...” he said in hurt tone. Hannah felt guilty for hurting her friend's feelings. Danson's right, she should have told him long before. And just like him, she's not used to not having him around. “I'm going to miss you, Danson...” she said. Danson looked up at her with sadness in his eyes. “I'm starting to miss you now... even if you have not left yet.” he said to her. Hannah smiled at him, and then hugged him. “Will you promise me that you won't ever replace me when you're already in Vienna?” he asked. “Of course. No one can ever replace Dannie boy in my life....”
“Will you promise to write me often?”
“Of course. I will also call you everyday if you want.”
“Will you promise to think of me always?”
“I will always think of you.”
“And will you promise to bring me a hot Austrian girlfriend if you come back.”

Hannah gave Danson a glare, and he saw him grinning at her. She slapped his arm, and then laughed as she watched him flinch in pain. “I'll get myself a hot Austrian boyfriend first before I find you a girlfriend there.” she . “No way...” he said,shaking his head. Hannah put her hands on her waist and raised an eyebrow at him. “And why?” she asked. “He have to come through me.” he said. “I want to make sure that your hot Austrian boyfriend is worthy of your love and won't hurt you... after all, you deserve only the best.”

--

Truth: Now that his old flame is back, she is scared to lose the man she loves to her.

--

“What's wrong?” Kit asked Joy as she laid beside her on her bed. “You've been moping around? Did something happened between you and Jiro?” she asked again. Joy shook her head. “Then, why the long face, Joy?” she asked again. “She's back...” she said in a low voice. Kit gave her friend a confused look. “Who's back?” she asked. “Celestine... Jiro's ex-girlfriend...” Joy answered. “So?” Kit asked. Joy looked at her with disbelief.” “What do you mean 'so'? Celestine's back, his ex-girlfriend!”
“I mean, so what if she's back? She'll steal Jiro from you?”
“Celestine is madly in love with Jiro. They broke up long before he courted me... and even if they already broke up, she's still chasing him.”
“You, you really are scared that she will do every means to have her hands on Jiro, am I right?”
Joy looked at her, and nodded her head. “I know she will. Maybe that's why she came back here in Taiwan so that she and Jiro could get back together.” she answered in a sad tone. Kit smiled at her friend as she rubbed her back to console her. “Aiyo... don't you trust Jiro?” she asked. Joy nodded her head. “Then that's it! You trust Jiro, and you should hold on to that trust. He loves you too much to hurt you... I know he won't break up with you to be with that Celestine again.” Kit said. “But what if he does? What if he chose Celestine over me?” Joy asked again. “You know what's wrong with you? You're being paranoid. Trust him, OK?” Kit said. Joy looked at Kit and smiled at her. “Your right, I should trust Jiro.” she said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Be confident of his love for you. And if time comes that he chose her over you, then fight for what you feel. Fight for your love and prove to him that you are more worthy than that Celestine.” Kit said. Joy nodded her head. “Right! No matter what happens, I will fight for Jiro's love.” she said confidently. The two girls looked at each other, and then they giggled.

--

Truth: Despite the fact that he already have someone who loves him, he is still longing for his first love.

--

Jiro walked through the shore. He clutched the shell necklace in his hand, and stared at it. “Why can't I forget you?” he said to himself. “You know very well I already have Joy, the girl who love me with all her heart... but why does it always have to be you? Why do I still want to find you?” he said. It has been ten years, but thoughts of her still filled his mind. There is still longing in his heart to see her again. And most of all, there is still a part in his heart that is still loving her. He have broken too many hearts simply because he could not let go of Tin. Before, he could not love Celestine with all his heart before, because he have been looking Tin's traits in her. There were times that he kept on comparing Celestine to Tin, that he wanted Celestine to be like Tin. Though Celestine did all what he wanted her to do to please him, he felt that it was wrong, and so he chose to let her go. And now, there is Joy. She is exactly like Tin in all ways. The first time he saw Joy, he have fallen in love with her, just like the time that Tin first smiled at him. The time he met Joy, he found that she have similarities with Tin that's why he began to get close with her and decided to win her heart. She is just as sweet and nice as Tin, and he should be contented with her and her love. But sadly, he is not. He still longs for Tin, he still longs to see her once again.

He felt guilty for feeling this way. Joy loves her too much, but he couldn't even love her whole-heartedly. His past would always come between them. Though she may not say it, he know that there are time that she is hurt simply because he can't let go. She chose not to tell him her pain, because she was too scared to lose him. She knew about Tin right from the start, and she know that Jiro loved her since he was nine years old, but she just let him love her even though he have not seen Tin since that summer ten years ago. “Tin, I can't do this anymore... I don't want to love you anymore... but I can't...” he said. “I'm hurting Joy, I know. There are other guys out there wanting her love, but she chose to love me instead, and her love for me is breaking her heart because it has always been you, Tin...”

He looked at the shell necklace on his hand again. “It's about time to let go of what I feel for you, Tin. I'm sorry...” he said. He looked at the sea for a while. He raised his hand to throw it, but then, he hesitated. He pulled down his hand, and stared at the necklace again. “Why can't I let you go?” he asked. Though he have to let go of the past, he couldn't. And because of this, he'll continue feeling guilty in hurting Joy, because she will always be sharing his heart with the girl of his past.

--

Truth: She came back with one mission - and that is to have him back..

--

Celestine took the picture frame on her side table and stared at it. It was a picture of her and Jiro when they were still a couple. They broke up before they both started college, and the reason for their break up id because of his past love. Even after their breakup, Celestine have hoped that Jiro would come around and would realize how much she loves him. But then, she was surprised when she found out that Jiro is already dating one of his classmates – Joy. Heartbroken by that, she decided to follow her brother in Manila, who was starting out his business there. She thought she would be able to forget Jiro if she leaves Taiwan, but she was wrong. There was never a day that she thought about him. Their beautiful memories are always in her mind. When she realized that she badly wanted Jiro back in her life, that's when she decided to go home and win his heart back.

When she saw Jiro and Joy that day, she was hurt. Jiro looked lovingly at Joy, something that he have not done to her before. He smiled sweetly at her, while he never smiled that way to her when they were still together. While Joy got him falling head over heels for her, she could not even get Jiro to stumble for her. But she knew Jiro well. She could feel that he is still in love with Tin, and just like what happened to them, she knows Jiro will soon break up with Joy because he could never love her the way he loved Tin. Celestine could never wait for that day. She have to find a way to break the two apart and have Jiro by herself. “Joy...” she thought. “If Jiro never loved me because of Tin, then he could never love you as well. I'll make you that I would take him away from you. I will make him realize that he never loved you anyway...” she swore to herself. She traced his finger on Jiro's picture, and smiled to herself. “You're going to be mine soon... all mine...”

--

Half-Truth: He's tired of searching for her... too tired that he wants to give up....

--

“That's it! I'm giving up!” Calvin said as he walked away from the crowd of girls following him. Kit shook her head and followed Calvin. “Cal! You can't give up now!” she said. “Yes, Calvin! You can't... I am the real paper crane girl!” one of the girls shouted. Calvin looked at the girl and glared at her. “You claim you are the paper crane girl but you can't even prove it to me.” he snapped at the girl. Then he turned to Kit. “Tell me what to do now? Every time I look for her, someone lies to me. Maybe someone is just playing a prank on me. Maybe she's not really sincere at all...” he said to Kit. “But it's true! I am you paper crane girl.” another girl said. Kit glared at that girl. “Shut up! And stop following us, will you?” she said. The girls began to retreat, and Kit could hear that they were saying nasty things about her. She doesn't care anymore. Calvin needs to have his peace anyway. “Sheesh, why do these girls have to come up to you just to tell you they are the real paper crane girls...” she said. “See, I told you. I think I should stop searching for her.” he said. Kit turned to face Calvin, who seems to be tired and mad about what had happened. Just as one girl approached him to tell him that she is the paper crane girl, the rest of the girls approached him to tell them that they are the paper crane girls. He know that all of them were just lying because all of them couldn't answer his question about the first love note that the paper crane girl gave to him.

“All of them just wanted me to be their boyfriend because I'm popular. None of them are really sincere.” he told Kit. “Even if those girls lied to you, you should not give up finding her...” Kit said. Calvin shook his head. “No. This is all crap. I think she's non-existent so I should not find her anymore.” he said firmly. Kit gave him a fierce look as she put her hands on her waist. “What is she, a ghost that leaves those paper cranes on your locker?” she asked. “Well, why cant she show herself to me?” he snapped back at her. “Maybe she have her reasons why she doesn't want to show up...” Kit said. “Whatever her reason is, I guess I wouldn't understand it. She made me fall for her, for what? For nothing! She's just playing a game, and I can't play her cruel game anymore...” he said to Kit. He turned his back on her, and then walked away. Kit shook her head as she followed him. “Calvin... you can't give up now! I'm sure we'll be able to find her soon!” she shouted at him. But Calvin went on his way. Nothing that Kit says would make him change his mind. He finally decided to end the search. There's no use looking for someone who does not want to be found.

As he walked through the lobby, he saw Hannah standing in front of him. “Kit's right, Calvin... you should not give up on her...” she said to him. Calvin just sighed. “I can't believe that you would tell me this, Hannah. Aside from Kit, you, of all people, know what's I've gone through!” he said. “Then you should understand what the paper crane girl have through as well during the times that you were with Trixie. You should also understand how hurt she was when someone took her place. You should understand that it was hard on her part to give way to Trixie because she could see how happy you are with her.” Hannah told him. “You speak as if you know who this paper crane girl is, Hannah.” he said. He walked towards her as she speaks. “If she was not happy that time she should've speak up. She should've told me that she is the real one, and not Trixie. If that girl ever loves me, she should have not kept her silence at all...” he continued. Hannah looked up at him, and then glanced at the girl behind him. “I have my reasons why, Calvin...” she said to him as she stared into his eyes. The anger in his face was replaced by confusion. “What do you mean, Hannah?” he asked. “I thought it would be for the best if I could love you from afar... because I know that you could never love someone like me. That's why I did those things...” she said. Hannah took out the paper crane from her hand and showed it to Calvin. “This is the truth, Calvin...” she said in a low voice as she stared at the paper crane in her hand, Then, she slowly lifted up her head and looked at him in the eye. “I am the real paper crane girl, Calvin..”

--

Half-Truth: She is the paper crane girl...

--

Calvin could not believe what Hannah said. “You?” he asked in disbelief. Hannah slowly nodded her head. Calvin let out a chuckle as he shook his head. “I could not believe this... is this a joke?” he said as he turned to Kit. Kit was just as surprised as he is. “Maybe she's telling the truth.” she told him. Calvin shook his head. “No. I don't think she is...” he said as he turned to Hannah. Hannah was already in the verge of tears. It took her a lot of courage to say that, but Calvin did not believe him. “I'm telling the truth...” she said in a low voice. “What is this, a joke?!” he shouted at the two girls. “She could be telling the truth, Calvin. Remember when I told you that we saw Hannah that day?” Kit said to him. Then, he turned to Hannah. She was already in tears because of his outrage. “Look. I'm sorry, Hannah. I've had enough of girls lying to me. And if you really are - “
“I am, I really am!” Hannah shouted in him. She wiped the tears in her eyes, and then looked at him. “'Hard work will definitely be rewarded. The rest is to believe in yourself'. That's what's written in the very first love note I have given you together with the paper crane. Is that enough proof for you to believe that I am the paper crane girl?” she told him. Calvin could not believe what she said. She definitely got it right. At that moment, he finally believed Hannah. “Hannah...” he said in a low voice. He looked at her, and saw the hurt in her face. “I like you! I like you since I first you! I have readied myself for your rejection, but I never thought it would hurt this much!” she shouted at him. The, she turned his back on him and ran away from him. “Hannah!” Calvin shouted as he followed her. Before he knew it, he was gone.

Then, he noticed Danson standing at the other side of the lobby. He saw and heard everything. He glared at Calvin. “You could have believed Hannah for once, Calvin.” he told him. Then, he turned his back and followed Hannah. Calvin suddenly felt weak at that moment. Just when he finally found her, he chose to push her away. “Cal...” he heard Kit say. She put her arms around him. Calvin looked at Kit with sadness in her eyes. “I just pushed away the girl I've been looking for all this time...” he said in a low voice. “Don't worry, Cal... I'll talk to her. Everything will be fine...” she assured him.

--

Truth: He knows who the real paper crane girl is...

--

Hannah sat at the bench at the school's garden. She was crying her eyes out because of Calvin. “I shouldn'nt have told him that...” she said to herself. As she wiped her eyes, she saw a handkerchief being handed to her. She looked up and saw Danson standing in front of her. She took the handkerchief from his hand, and he sat beside him. He just listened to her as she cried, watching over her and consoling her. “It was a bad idea, right?” she asked him as soon as she's done crying. “Bad idea? I think it's a brave move, Hannah...”
“But he still rejected me. I should've waited until... until the first day of the next semester before telling him...”
“If you waited for that day, then you wouldn't have a chance anymore. You'll be leaving soon, remember?”

Silence.

“I was wrong...” she said in a low voice. “I shouldn't have done those things. I should have showed myself to him before, when he was looking for me... but I got scared. I got scared of his rejection... I didn't want him to think that I'm just playing around with him. That's why... that's why I told him the truth now...” she said. Danson put his arm around Hannah and let her lean on his shoulder. “You did those things for a reason, Hannah. I understand, and Calvin will soon understand...” he said to her. He took a deep breath, and looked at her. Something has been bothering him since he witnessed her confession to Calvin. “Hannah... the only wrong thing you did... was... you lied....” he finally said. Surprised, Hannah looked up at him. “I... what do you mean?” she asked in a confused tone. Danson stared into her eyes. “I... I am the one who leaves the notes and paper cranes in his locker. I am the paper crane girl...” she told him. Danson shook his head. “You are not the real paper crane girl, Hannah...” he said. Hannah could only give him a surprised look. “Because I know who the real paper crane girl is...”

--

Truth: And though he knew the truth, he decided to keep his silence and protect her secret.

--

“Please don't tell him. You know it would only complicate things. I kept her secret because I could understand what she feels. All you heard a while ago, it was the truth... except for the fact that I am the paper crane girl. I am the one who leaves the notes in his locker, while she... she was the one who leaves the paper cranes... We both did it... because we both secretly love him... please... please promise me you won't tell him that she is the one...please...”

--

“I have decided...” Danson said to the guy in front of him. The guy looked up at him and smiled. “I know you will come to that decision, Danson.” he said. Danson nodded his head. “Then what is your decision?” he asked. “I have decided...” Danson began. “To keep her secret and protect it with all my heart. I could understand how she feels, and I know it's not easy for her part to admit everything to him...” Danson said. The guy walked towards him and tapped his shoulder. “It's the right thing to do, Danson...” he said. “Until the day she decided to tell him the truth, let's keep her secret.” Danson nodded his head. “And Hannah?” the guy asked again. “She is the reason why I'm doing this. I promised her not that I won't tell.. and in keeping her secret, I'm keeping my promise to Hannah. She can leave Taiwan without worrying about her friend.” he said. “I'm not asking about that...” the guy said. Danson gave him a confused look. “Chun? What do you mean?” he asked. Chun just smiled at his friend. “What about the little secret that you've been keeping from her and from yourself?”