Love Confessions

99 Paper Cranes (Completed)
“What's wrong with those two?” Joy asked Kit as soon as Calvin left. She's a little mad, as she doesn't know what's going on. Ever since the day Hannah told Calvin that she is the paper crane girl, she would always avoid Calvin. Whenever Calvin approaches their group, Hannah would excuse herself. “Is she planning to avoid him for the rest of her life?” she asked again. Danson looked at his food and toyed it with his fork. “Most likely...” he said. Joy sighed with dismay as she shook her head. “She'll be leaving in two weeks' time. She shouldn't be like this!” she said. “How can she not avoid Calvin, when Calvin wouldn't believe her at the first place?” Kit said. “Have you talked to Hannah? I thought Calvin wants to make up with her?” Joy asked again. Kit gave her a faint smile and nodded her head. “She doesn't want anything to do with Calvin anymore... she said...” Kit said. “And Calvin?”
“Still trying his best...”
“I could understand why Hannah is being like this...” Danson said. “She have liked him for a very long time, and it was a risk for her to let Calvin know the truth. But in the end, Calvin rejected her and chose not to believe her.” Danson said monotonously. “But Calvin did believe her now, right?” Joy asked. “Even if he did, it's too late... he broke her heart.” Danson said. Then, he stood up from his seat. “I think I'll go look for her. Maybe I could talk some sense into her.” he said. Joy and Kit nodded their heads, and watched Danson as he leaves the cafeteria.

Just then, two girls approached them – Rina ans Trixie. As they saw them, Joy just raised an eyebrow at them. “What do you girls what?” she snapped at them. “I was wondering if you know where Chun is?” Trixie asked. Joy smirked at her as she crossed her arms. “Oh, so you're going to give Chun a chance now, huh?” Joy said. Trixie looked at Rina, and they saw Rina nod her head. “There's something that I have to tell him...” Rina said. Joy smiled sweetly at Rina. “Well, you know that I've always liked you, Rina. I just don't like the choice of friends you've made.” Joy said. Trixie lowered her head as she heard what Joy said. Then, Joy stood up from her seat, and went to Rina. “Come on, I'll show you where he is.” Joy said. Rina smiled at her. Then, she looked at Trixie, glaring at her. “I'll be back soon, Trixie. If you do anything to Kit, I'll beat you till you're black and blue.” she threatened. Kit could only laugh at what Joy said.

Trixie and Kit were left alone at the table. There was an awkward silence between them. “Do you think you should follow Rina?” Kit finally said to break their silence. “Actually, I came to talk to you...”
“I don't think we have anything to talk about. Especially about Calvin. It's enough for me that you apologized to him for what you did, and you finally told him the truth.”
“You don't understand...” Trixie said in a low voice. “This is not about Calvin. I... I want to apologize to you for all the wrong thing's I've done...” she said. Trixie looked up at her and smiled. “I hope you could find it in your heart to forgive me.” she continued. “I... I have forgiven you, Trixie. Maybe it's not too late for us to start anew right? We can still be friends.” Kit said. Trixie smiled and nodded her head. “We can still be friends... we can be friends even though I'm not studying here anymore, right?” Trixie said. Kit gave her a confused look. “What do you mean?” Kit asked. “I decided to file for a leave next semester... to think things through. The past few weeks have been a struggle for me. I know I shouldn't be feeling like this, but I'm still hurt because of what had happened. And I want to get away from here and forget everything bad that happened.” she said. Then, Trixie reached for Kit's hand and held it. “Calvin's lucky to have a friend like you. That's why I'm so jealous of you... please take care of Calvin always...”

--

“There he is!” Joy said to Rina, pointing at Chun and Jiro, who were seating at the bench. Rina turned to Joy and smiled at her. Chun and Jiro saw the two girls approaching them. Jiro stood up from his seat, and then wen to Joy. “We'll leave you for a while.” Joy said. Then, she and Jiro headed back to the cafeteria. “So...” Chun said to Rina. “It's been a long time since we last talked.” Rina smiled at him, and nodded his head. “By the way, thank you for helping us the last time.” he said. “No problem. You know I would do anything for you and your friends.” she said. “I still could not understand why you did that... I mean, you betrayed Trixie's trust to warn me about her plans.” Rina crossed her arms as she raised an eyebrow at him. “It's either you're too dumb, or you're too dense to know why I did that.” she said. Chun gave her a confused look. “Don't tell me you like Kit?” he asked. Rina laughed and shook her head. “Silly, I'm not that!” she said. Then, she looked up at him, and smiled. “I like you, Chun. I have always liked you...” she said. Upon hearing what she said, Chun felt his cheeks turn pink. “I did that because I know how much you love Kit as a friend. You and the rest of your gang protect her like a princess, and I know you will worry a lot if anything happens to her. I don't want you to be worried, that's why I told you about Trixie's plans.” she continued.

Chun sighed. “Rina... I wish I could reciprocate your feelings for me, but...”
“I know. You like Trixie. Don't worry about a thing. I am not asking you to like me back. Maybe if you can be my friend, I would be happy. Besides, I'm already dating Ethan Ruan.” she said. Chun smiled at her, and nodded his head. “I have always considered you as my friend, Rina.” he said. Rina smiled at him, then she walked towards him, and gave him a hug. “I'm sure going to miss you while I'm gone, Chun...” she said. Then, Chun looked at her, giving her another confused look. “What do you mean?” he asked. “Trixie, Mike, Ethan and I are going on a European tour. We both filed for a leave for next sem.”

--

Danson entered the music room, and saw Hannah sitting in front of the piano. Just like the previous days, she wore a sad face. “You're not planning to hide here for a long time, aren't you...” he said. Hannah looked up, and saw him walking towards him. “Hey...” she said, giving him a faint smile. Danson smiled, and then he sat beside her. “Until when are you planning to avoid Calvin?”
“Until the day I leave...”
“But aren't you going to let him explain?”
Hannah shook her head. “I'm the one who should explain to him, remember? And besides... how could I ever face him? He have already rejected me...” she said in a low voice. “Aiyo... maybe when you told him that you are the paper crane girl, he was in a bad mood. Maybe you said it at a really wrong time, Hannah.” he said. “But the fact the he did not believe when I have given him a proof... that hurts you know. You should've seen his face that time... it's like he doesn't want me to be the paper crane girl.” Danson smiled at him, and put his arm around her. “Then, you should have seen the look on his face when he Trixie told him that she is the paper crane girl. It's much worse .” he said. Hannah looked at him and giggled. “Really?” she asked. Danson nodded his head.

Hannah turned her eyes on the piano again. “I want to regret what I did...” she said. Danson gave her a curious look. “I mean, I resorted to this kind of thing when I could've confessed to him directly, without using her identity...”
“But, she approved of it, right? She let you use her identity for a while, so that you could tell him that you love him.”
Hannah nodded her head. “She suffers more than I do, but she helped me. I will forever thank her for this.” she said. “Well, if you regret what you did, then you can still make things right.” Danson said. Hannah looked up at him, confused at what he said. “What do you mean?” she asked. Danson answered her by giving her a mysterious smile.

--

Kit watched Calvin as he sighed. He leaned his head on the table and sighed again. He looked down at the book, and sighed again. Then, he looked up and then sighed again. “Wei... did you know that when you sigh a lot, you'll fart a lot?” she told him Calvin looked at her and laughed. “Cal, why do you keep on sighing? Something's bothering you again, right?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “And, does it involve a girl named Hannah?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “Guilty because you accused her of lying to you?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. “And you're guilty because you felt like you rejected her because of that?” she asked again. Calvin nodded his head again. “Well, I have a perfect solution for your problem...” she said. Calvin gave her a confused look. “What?” he asked. Kit smiled at him. “Say sorry to her.” she said. Calvin shook his head. “How can I say sorry to her when she always avoids me?” he said. Then, he sighed again. “You know, fate's really weird. Just when I decided to give up, she shows up...”
“That's why I told you not to give up, right? Who would've know we would find her that day.”
“But I guess it's too late now...”

Kit leaned on the table, and looked at Calvin. “Calvin, be honest to me...” she said. Calvin looked up at him and waited for her question. “What came into your mind when Hannah told you that she is the paper crane girl?” Calvin let out a faint smile. “Honestly, I was expecting it was her... only someone like her could do such things... but you see, people have lied to me countless of times just because of this search. I thought she was just playing around, using this opportunity to let me know that she have feelings for me... but I was wrong. How about you, what's your take on this?” he said. “Honestly, I was expecting Hannah to be the paper crane girl. After all, she's the most likely suspect.” Kit said. Calvin just smiled at her. “Cal... Hannah's leaving in two weeks. Just don't let her leave Taiwan with bad memories. Explain your side, and let her tell you everything. I'm sure she's got a lot of things to tell you...” Kit said. Calvin blew his hair. “How can I do that if she always avoid me. You've seen how she makes an excuse and leave whenever I come around... and Danson glares at me when I try to approach her...” he said. Kit's lips formed into a vicious smile. “Leave it up to me.” she said, winking at him. This leaves Calvin curious about what his best friend is about to do.

--

It was the start of the winter break, and it was a day before Hannah leaves for Vienna. Her friends decided to give Hannah a small farewell party at Kit's place. The five (Joy, Jiro, Kit, Chun and Danson) were busy preparing for the party – decorating the place and preparing the food that they will feast on that night. Kit and Joy were busy at the kitchen, preparing all of Hannah's favorite foods. “Oh my God, I forgot to buy the curry powder!” Kit heard Joy as she was slicing the bell peppers. “For the chicken curry?” she asked. Joy nodded her head. “I think I'll go to the grocery for a while. Would it be OK?” Joy asked. Kit smiled at her, and nodded her head. Joy took her bag, and then went out of the kitchen.

As soon as Joy is gone, Danson went inside the kitchen. Kit smiled as she felt his presence. “I know you've been wanting to talk to me...” she said. Danson closed the door behind him and approached Kit. “About tonight?”
“Don't worry, he'll be here. And Hannah?”
“She will be here. I've thought of a perfect excuse.”
Kit looked at Danson and smiled at him. “Thank you for doing this, Danson.” she said. Danson smiled at her. “Hannah's my friend. I would do everything to make her happy. And I know you would do the same for her.” he said. Kit nodded her head. “Do you really think Calvin will listen to her this time?” he asked. “Of course he will. He felt guilty for not believing her... and I know he doesn't want Hannah to leave knowing that she is mad at him. All they need is a chance to talk.” she said. Then, she turned to the counter to continue with preparing the food.

Danson did not only approached Kit because of their final plans for Calvin and Kit. He also wanted to ask her something. “Uh... Kit... since Calvin and Hannah will talk later... I was hoping I could talk to you as well?” he said. Kit paused, and then turned to face him, giving him a curious look. “About?” she asked. “About some things. I can't tell you right now... but after we leave Calvin and Hannah alone later, would it be OK if I talk to you alone later... I want to tell you something.” he said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “No problem. Just let me know if you're ready to talk.” She said. Danson smiled again and nodded his head. As he left the kitchen, Kit began to be anxious. She felt that Danson will say something that she does not want to hear. “Could it...” she thought. “Could it be that he will confess his feelings for me tonight as well?”

--

Hannah gape as she entered the house. She saw a huge banner up on the wall that says “Good Luck, Hannah!”, and her favorite foods laid on the table. “Oh my God...” she gasped, then she turned to Danson who was standing right behind her. “Surprise!” he said, smiling at her. She looked at her friends, who were standing behind the table. “Surprise!” they all said in unison. She felt the tears falling from her eyes. She will surely miss these great friends that she have now. She know nothing could compare to them, and she will surely find friends like them in Vienna. She looked at them one by one, as if memorizing their face. She will surely miss Chun's goofiness, who always makes her crack into laughter. She will miss Joy's gentleness and sweetness. She will miss Jiro's protectiveness. Most of all, she will miss Kit's encouragement. Then, she looked at Danson again. Of all her friends, she will sure miss this guy the most. She will surely miss their silly argument, the annoyed look on his face when she teases her, how he take care of her, and that assuring smile that he gives her whenever she tells him about his worries and fears.

“Hey, no crying...” he said as he took a handkerchief from his pocket and wipe the tear on her face. Hannah smiled at him. “I can't help it, I'm sorry...” she said. Then, she turned to her friends. “Thank you for this surprise.” she said. “It's the only way for us to tell you that we hope the best for you and that we're going to miss you while you're gone.” Jiro said. “I'm going to miss you guys as well. I'm going to miss all of you...” she said as the tears began to fall from her eyes again. “Thank you for accepting me as your friend. I never thought I would be able to have great friends like you. I'm sorry if I have to leave you guys behind...” Hannah continued. Joy smiled at her, and shook her head. “We understand, Hannah. We all know you're doing this to chase your dream, and we're happy for you.” Joy said, wiping the tear from her eyes. “And no matter what happen, no matter how far you are, you will always be our friend. Nothing can change that.” Chun said. Kit nodded her head. “Just always remember that we'll always be here for you, waiting for your return. If you feel lonely, we're just a phone call away.” Kit said. Hannah smiled at them and nodded her head. “I haven't left yet, but I'm already starting to miss you guys....” she said, teary-eyed. The four walked towards her, and they gave her a group hug. “We'll miss you too...” they said to Hannah.

Then, Chun broke free from the hug, giving his friends a playful smile. “Enough of the drama already...” he said to him. “I'm hungry.”

--

Jiro, Joy, Chun, Hannah and Kits parents were singing karaoke after their sumptuous dinner. Danson and Kit were watching them from one side of the living room. Kit looked at her watched, and then gave Danson a nudge. “It's time.” she said to him. Danson nodded. “I'll got get Calvin...” she said. “I'll meet you guys as the park.” Danson said. Kit smiled, and nodded her head. She sneaked outside the house, and as soon as she's gone, Danson went towards Hannah. He sat beside her, and whispered something to her ear. “Can I talk to you alone for a while?” he whispered. Hannah looked at him and nodded her head. The two left, and Jiro noticed them. “Hey, where are they going?” he asked, pointing at the two. Chun looked at him. “Just let them be. There are things that they have to fix before Hannah leaves.” Chun said. Then, he turned to the TV and began to sing.

Meanwhile, as Kit went to Calvin's house, she saw him walking out of the house. She immediately rushed to him. “Cal!” she shouted. “Hey, Kit! How's the party going?” he asked. Kit gave him an angry look as she put her hands on her waist. “Why didn't you come?” she asked. Calvin shook his head as he smiled at her. “I just don't want to ruin the party, that's all...” he said. “So, you going somewhere?” she asked again. “Just going to grab something to eat at the convenient store, why?” Calvin asked. Then, Kit took his hand, and pulled him. “Hey, where are you going to take me?” he asked. Kit looked at him and smiled. “Trust me.” she said to him. As he pulled him, they ran towards the park.

Hannah and Danson were strolling at the park. The whole time, Hannah noticed that Danson was silent and kept on staring at his watch. “Anything wrong?” she asked him. Danson gave her a confused look. “You kept looking at your watch. I thought you want to talk to me?” she said. Danson just gave her a smile. “You'll know in a while...” he said. Just then, they saw Kit and Calvin running up to them. Hannah was surprised to see Calvin that night. “Sorry, we're late...” Kit said to them, smiling. Just like Hannah, Calvin was surprised to see Hannah. “Well, I guess our mission is done here...” Danson said. Kit smiled and nodded her head. “Yeah. It's up to these guys to talk.” she said. Then, Kit turned to Calvin. “So, this is the only thing we can do for you. Take it from here, OK?” she said to him as he tapped his shoulder. Calvin nodded his head. Danson looked at Hannah, and smiled. “This is your last chance, so you better make it right this time. Tell him all the things you want to say.” Danson said. Hannah gave him a faint smile and nodded his head.

Danson and Kit left the two alone, but there was an awkward silence between them. Both of them doesn't know how to start with what they were supposed to say to each other. “I...” they said in unison. Hannah and Cavin chuckled as they spoke in unison. “You start...” Calvin said. Hannah smiled and shook his head. “No, you start...” she said. Calvin took a deep breath before beginning to speak. “Hannah... I'm sorry for everything.” he said. “I'm sorry that I didn't believed you that day. Believe me... searching for you each day just make it feels like it's going nowhere. I... I didn't mean to lash it out on you that day. It's just that I was frustrated and disappointed, and your confession... I was too shocked to acknowledge it.” Calvin said. “I understand, Calvin... but you should also understand that I was hurt with what you have said. I took the risk to tell you that... and it felt like you rejected me even before I could tell you what I feel.” Hannah said. Calvin smiled as he walked towards her. “You have the right to be mad at me. I know... what I did that day is really unforgivable. I didn't mean to hurt you or even reject you... but it's just that I didn't expect that I would find you that day and tell me that you are the paper crane girl. I've been expecting it was you... but I just didn't expect that you would tell me that day...”

Hanna lowered her head, and smiled to herself. “I know you could never like someone like me, Calvin. But, since the first day we started at the uni, I just can't help but fall for you. Your sunny personality reminds me of someone I used to know... and when I met you, it felt like that person is always with me. I wanted to get close to you, and befriend you, but I was scared that you would reject me. You don't even notice that I exist. So, I started to leave those notes to you, hoping that with those love notes, I could let you know what I feel... that I secretly like you...” she said. “I know that you like me from the start, Hannah. But you see... I... I only see you as a friend.” Calvin said. Then, he lifted her chin and looked into her eyes. “I know how you feel. I've been in love with a girl I could never have, and like you, I can only be friends with her.” he said. Hannah nodded her head and smiled. “I understand that, Calvin. Being your friend is enough for me. There's nothing else that I want more than to be close to you. Asking you to love me back is too much to ask... so I will be contented with what you can offer to me.” Hannah said. Calvin smiled and then sighed with relief. “I'm glad to know that. And most of all, I'm glad that talked this thing through.” he said.

Then, Hannah turned her gaze away from him. It's a start for her to tell Calvin exactly what she feels, but then she have to tell him the truth about the paper crane girl. She closed her eyes, finally deciding to tell him. “Calvin... please don't be mad at me... but the truth is, I... I am not....” she paused, she saw the confused look in his face. “I am not the only paper crane girl.” she finally said. Calvin was surprised at what she said. “I'm confused. What do you mean?” he asked. “At the start, I am the one who leaves the notes on your locker. On that very same day that I first left you the note, she.... she also left you the paper crane. Like me, she have been secretly loving you, but she just can't let you know...” she explained. “Then... who is this other paper crane girl?” he asked. Hannah shook her head. “I can't tell you who she is. But promise me one thing. Promise me that if you can't love her back, just let her continue to love you from afar.” she said. “Wouldn't that be weird?” he asked. Hannah shook her head again. “Maybe, one day you will know who she is. I hope if you do find our, you would be able to accept her.” she said. Then, Hannah reached for him and kiss him on the cheek. “Maybe the one thing you are looking for is right in front of you all this time. You were too busy looking at the father side that's why you fail to notice it. I hope someday you will realize it, before it it would be gone.” she said. After hearing what she said, Calvin was puzzled. He know that what Hannah said pertains to the real and other paper crane girl. “Thank you for everything, Cal. I'm going to miss you...”

--

From the other side of the park, Kit and Danson where watching Calvin and Hannah. Kit smiled as she watched them, seeing that everything is going smoothly now between her friends. “I'm glad they're OK now...” she said to Danson. Then, she looked up at him. “Do you think she confessed everything?” she asked. Danson shrugged his shoulder. “Maybe, maybe not...” he said. “Well, even if she is not, at least she did before with the love notes and paper cranes she leaves at his locker. After all, she is the paper crane girl, right?”

Danson paused, and then watched Calvin and Hannah again. Maybe, by now, Calvin already know the truth at Hannah being the other paper crane girl. Now, it's his turn to confess to Kit. “Actually, Kit... I know that Hannah only leaves the notes and not the paper crane...” he began. Kit suddenly felt uneasy at what he said. “What... what do you mean? I was there when she confessed to Cal that she is the paper crane girl. You heard it too!” Kit said to him. “Yes... I heard it.... but before Hannah confessed that day, I found out who the real paper crane girl.” Danson said. Then, he looked at Kit, and saw nervous she was with what he said. “I know that it was you.... that you are the real paper crane girl...” he said.

Kit looked away from him. She suddenly felt scared now that Danson knew about her secret. “You're going to tell Calvin?” she asked. Danson shook his head. “I have no plans of telling him. Because... because I know the complications. I know the promise you made about not falling in love with each other...” he said. Kit looked at him again and nodded her head. “If one of us fell in love with another, we have to end the friendship. Calvin will end our friendship if he found out that I am in love with him. Worst, he... he will avoid me... if he found out....and I can't bear to lose my best friend again because of a broken promise.” Kit said. Danson took her hand and squeezed it. “Calvin will never know. I will keep your secret, I promise you.” he said.

--

“Kit... thank you...” Hannah said as soon as she and Kit were alone. “Thank you for letting me borrow your identity as the paper crane girl so that I could tell him how I feel. Thank you for helping me... but why can't you -”
“Don't ever say that. Whatever it is that you found, keep it to yourself. Things are getting more complicated, and I'm scared that he will soon find out about me secret.”
Hannah shook her head and gave her friend a confused look. She still could not understand why Kit could not tell him about her feelings “But why? You'll suffer as much as I do if you don't -”
“It's better that way. I made a promise to him and I'm keeping it...”
Kit looked at her and smiled. “You understand me, right? I don't ever want to lose Calvin. Between our friendship and my feelings, I'm saving our friendship.” she said. Hannah nodded her head slowly, accepting what Kit have told her. “But promise me that you will tell him one day...” she said. “After all, Kit... he's bound to find out the truth whether you like it or not.”

--

The next day.

Hannah was about to enter the departure are of the airport, when she heard someone call her. “Hannah!” She looked back and she saw Danson rushing up to him. Hannah pouted at him as soon as he reached her. “Hey, I told you not to go here. You'll just make it hard for me.” she scolded him. Danson just gave her a smile. “I can't help it. This is the last time I might be seeing you, so I took the chance and followed you here. I'll be missing you when you're gone...” he said. Hannah smiled at him, and then gave him a hug. “I'm going to miss you too...” she said. Then, she looked up at him and stared at his face for a moment, and then she closed her eyes. She traced his face with her fingers. “I have memorized your face, Danson. There's no way I could forget you know....” she said. She opened her eyes, and saw him staring into her face. “Me too...” he muttered. Hannah broke into a smile, and then she reached for him and kissed him on the cheek. She turned to leave, but after a few steps, she paused and looked back at him again. “By the way, Danson...” she shouted to him. “I like you. I really do!” After saying that, Hannah turned to leave and she disappeared withing the crowd. Danson stood from his place, watching her as she leaves. He smiled to himself, remembering what she last said to her before she left. “I... I like you too...” he said, hoping Hannah would be able to hear it.