The Reason

You're The One

 

Doojoon POV

I was scanning through the pictures of Hee Jin and that idol boyfriend of hers on my laptop. Seems like she’s been living in the limelight since she dated a mega idol star.

            “So, Doojoon ssi…what do you think of the proposal?” the voice of Mr. Jang snapped me out from my thought.

            “Um…it’s good…” I said without even thinking. The truth is I wasn’t even listening to a word he said. I looked at Yoseob who’s sitting next to me and he just smiled.

            “So, I guess the meeting will stop here…we’ll meet again next week to discuss our project in Incheon.” Mr. Dae the head of planning department said.

As the meeting members exiting the boardroom, I felt an arm on my shoulder. I looked and it was my dad.

            “See me in my room after this…”he said.

            “Do I have to?”

            “Yes…” he walked away. This can’t be good…

Yoseob looked and me.

            “Hyung, can I ask you something?”

            “Shoot…”

            “Did you know Ok Taecyeon’s girlfriend?”

            “Yeah…we have history a few years ago…I gotta go meet the boss…block all my calls and postpone my appointment with HR department…’

            “Yes hyung…” Yoseob said and walked away.

I knocked the big cedar wood door and heard a voice telling me to come in. Get ready some ear bleeding session Doojoon ah…I walked in and saw my dad behind his desk. The expression on his face doesn’t look good…to me.

            “So, I bet your head is not in the meeting just now, huh?” he said staring at my face. “You wanna tell me what’s been distracting you lately or do I have to get my men to uncover it for me?”

            “Just like how you did 4 years ago dad?”

            “You know better than anyone else why I do what I did back then…it’s for your own good!” my dad stomped his palm on the desk.

            “For my own good dad? Really?”

            “That girl is nothing but a distraction to you…she’s keeping you away from your fullest potential and I can’t let that happen! My son is the heir to my legacy and I don’t want some girl ruin it!”

            “But I love that girl! She’s the best thing that ever happened in my life!”

            “She’s a bad influence for you from the beginning…if it’s wasn’t for me, you would’ve been a soccer player if you listen to her!”

            “Soccer has always been a dream of mine! Even when I was a kid…I had no interest in running your business…you could pass this empire to Doori noona for all I care!”

            “Don’t you dare raise your tone with me young man! From what I see…that girl has moved on and there’s a new man with her now…”

            “Well, I’m getting her back and I will make sure she will be your daughter-in-law whether you like it or not.”

            “I will not approve your relationship with her Yoon Doojoon!” my dad called me by my full name…he must be so angry right now.

            “You are and you will…or you wanna see CUBE Inc crumble to ashes?”

            “Is that a threat I heard?”

            “Think whatever you like…but I’m not the guy I was 4 years ago…I will do what I want, how I want with or without your permission…I’ve done my part of our deal and that’s it…I’m not your puppet anymore!” I said and left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a step into my apartment, I took off my coat and tossed it on the couch. Looking at this empty space, I keep imagining what it would be like having Hee Jin living with me the way I’ve had in mind since the first day I’ve met her.

It was the greatest mistake I made when I followed my dad’s word on that fateful day. I should’ve been braver and stand firm on my two feet but the thought of something bad will happen to her is something that I couldn’t bear to see.

Flashback

4 years ago…

            “You wanna see me dad?” I walked into my dad’s study room.

            “Yes…I have something to talk to you…”

He got up and went to the couch. I sat the single chair waiting for him to speak.

            “I heard that you has been accepted to the National Soccer team…is that true?” he asked looking at me.

            “Um…how did you know about that?” it suppose to be a secret. My dad never liked the idea of me playing soccer for a career…but Hee Jin always tells me to pursue my dreams being a national soccer player. It’s been her dream to see me wearing the national jersey representing Korea to the international level.

            “I got sources…anyway, I want you to drop out from that useless thing…and took over the company overseas branch in LA.”

            “But dad…I can’t do that.”

            “You can and you will…”            

            “Or…” I know my dad has other trick up his sleeve if he wanted something go his way. It’s always been his way or no way at all.

            “I know that girlfriend of yours just opened a club down in Hongdae…you wouldn’t want to see anything bad happen to her business right?” he looked at me with a poker face. I knew my dad is capable doing things like that.

            “Don’t you dare…”

            “Let’s make a deal…you follow my order and I leave her alone…”

            “I don’t have a choice do I?”

            “Nope…I never even liked that girl…I don’t have anything to lose anyway…I’ll give you three days to make up your mind…you can go now…” he coldly said without even looking at me.

That night I went to see Hee Jin at the club. It was fairly new but people started flocking the place…most of it because Hee Jin’s cousin Taewoo hyung and his G.O.D members made a special appearance to support Hee Jin’s new club.

            “Hey, you’re here…” she hugged me. “You’re late…”

            “Sorry baby…got some errand to do…”I kissed her lips.

            “Anyway, to celebrate your acceptance to the national soccer team, we’re having a party at the VIP lounge…” she wrapped her arms around my waist.

            “Now?”

            “Yup…everyone is waiting…” we looked up and saw our entire friends at the lounge looking down at us.

            “So, I’m the guest of honour then?”

            “Yup! C’mon…”

Two days later…

I was still thinking about what my father said and frankly speaking, I think he just saying things so I would back off. That is so not gonna happen. I’ve come too far to abandon my dream of being aa soccer player.

I’m on my way to the training centre when I got a call from Hee Jin.

            “Hey babe…”

            “Doojoon ah…” her voice tremble at the end of the line. “I didn’t do it…”

            “Baby, what’s going on?” I heard sniffle. Is she crying?

            “Would you come here please? I need you…”

            “Where are you?”

I arrived at the club and saw a police car at the front and Hee Jin was talking to two police officers.

            “For the meantime, I have to close your club until the investigation is over.

            “But…”

            “I’m sorry Hee Jin ssi…but law is law…” the police says and left.

            “Hey baby…” I said and Hee Jin wrapped her arms around me, burying her head into my chest. “Hey, what’s going on? Why are the police here?”

            “Someone called the police saying that there were drug trafficking happening in my club…they’re closing the place…how could this happen? I made sure that my guys are drug free when they started work here…”

            “I’m sure it’s just a misunderstanding…” I knew who behind this. That old guy could do anything.

            “What should I do now?” she was tearing up. “I only started two weeks ago and these things happen…”

            “We’ll figure something out ok?”

After sending Hee Jin back to her place, I went straight to my dad’s office.

            “It was you wasn’t it?”I said as I stormed inside.

            “Good to see you too son…” my dad said.

            “You did that didn’t you? That little drug trafficking thing at her club…”

            “I told you…I could make things happen…now, you have two choices; follow my orders or she will suffer with the club closing down.”

            “Fine! Give me a week…I’ll do whatever you said…just leave her alone.”

            “How am I gonna know that you won’t break your promise?”

            “I never backed out from my words…the only positive thing I’ve learned from you…” I walked away.

Two days later…

Hongdae Police Station…

            “Yoo Hee Jin ssi…after a further investigation, we found out that your club are free from any drug trafficking accusations…it turned out to be a false information…” the police officer said. Hee Jin’s face was lighted up with relief.

            “Is that mean my club is back on business?” she asked. Her grip on my hands tightens and she looked at me with a smile.

            “Yes…we’re sorry to cause you such inconvenience…”

Hee Jin smile broadened as we left the station. It’s good to see her smiling again.

            “I felt like a huge burden has been lift up from my shoulders…” she said.

            “This called for celebration…”

            “Yup…” she hugged me. “Thank you for being with me today…”a kiss landed on my lips. “I love you Yoon Doojoon…”

Since my dad has done his part of the deal, it’s my turn now.

It’s the day when I promised Hee Jin to meet her at the café where we celebrated our third anniversary together. I was looking at her from afar walking into the café wearing my favourite blue couple shirt that I bought for her. It torn me inside thinking about having to leave Hee Jin behind. I’ll be back to you Hee Jin ah.

End of Flashback

 

It's cliche isn't it? Huhu~~~TT TT~~~

BBYONG!!!