Beauty and the Beast’s World Part 7: Sorry

Why is My Happily Ever After With EXO?! [Hiatus]

*Continuation from Chapter 36*

*My plan is working.* Baekhyun was eating lunch with just Aesook in the dining room since Beast had matters to attend to. *She’s stopped talking to you. That was the plan, right?* Baekhyun glanced up from his food and saw Aesook across the table, looking down at her own food. He bit down on his bottom lip and turned back at his food. *Yes. That was the plan all along. Stop talking to her. Avoid her at all costs. Hope that she will give up on trying to hang out with you. Eventually stop talking to you.*
 
His train of thought was cut off when he heard her chair skid across the floor for a second, followed by the clattering of dishes, and he could see her exit the room from the corner of his eye. His expression fell a bit, and his heart tightened. *So why do I feel like this?*
 
Aesook leaned against the door and sighed deeply. *Why is it so awkward? Why can’t I look at him the same way?*  She carried her dirty dishes to the sink, where the dishes were cheering with glee to be cleaned. She trudged her feet out of the kitchen and started her way towards the library. *Why is it so difficult to ignore this?*
 
She entered the large library and marveled at the sight, slightly distracted from thinking about Baekhyun. “I never get tired looking at this.” Her eyes sparkled at the amount of books in the room. She walked past the several bookcases and smiled. She tried to look for a book to keep her mind off of Baekhyun and his confession that night. Her smile slowly slipping away as she read the titles of the books. “Confessions of a-no... Love in the-no.... Uhm... Oh, here’s one. Heartbreaking-oh, my goodness.” She plopped down onto the ground and laid down on her back. 
 
She stared at the ceiling for a long time, trying to think about what to do in this situation.
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun was walking outside in the garden, catching some fresh air. He breathed out hard, seeing the white wisps of smoke that came out of his mouth. He giggled a bit, letting his childish side come out for a little bit. He sighed tiredly. 
 
“I wish I was a child again...” he whispered. “No responsibilities... no worries... just carefree me. No stress. Nothing to do with love or anything...” 
 
Images of Aesook started appearing in his head, and he shook his head furiously. “Ani, ani, ani. I can’t get wrapped up in that. Idols aren’t supposed to date...” But something inside of him seemed to be tugging at his heart. 
 
*Who says you two will date? How do you know if she’s willing to accept you?* 
 
“What do you mean?” Baekhyun frowned. 
 
*What if you confessed to her, and she doesn’t accept it?* 
 
“Why wouldn’t she?”
 
*She could be in love with someone else.* 
 
Baekhyun froze, the cold air stiffened his muscles a bit more. The very thought of Aesook loving someone other than him was enough to make him want to crawl up in a corner. “No, she doesn’t seem like she’s in love...”
 
*You don’t seem like you’re in love with Aesook, and yet you are.* 
 
“Love?” Baekhyun pondered on that word before scoffing. “I’m not in love. This is just a little crush. Just a crush. That’s all.” 
 
*You sure about that?* 
 
Baekhyun was about to fire back, but he hesitated. He scowled to himself. “You’re crazy.” 
 
*Says the boy who’s arguing with himself.* 
 
“Shut up!” Baekhyun yelled out loud. The birds in the garden flew into the air from the sudden loud sound. 
 
*How about YOU shut up because the love of your life is right behind you.* 
 
Baekhyun whipped around to see Aesook looking at him with wide eyes. “Are you okay? Who were you yelling at?” 
 
Baekhyun’s already rosy cheeks turned even more pink at the fact that she saw him do that just then. “Oh, uh-er-the birds,” he lied lamely. He wanted to hit himself in the head for his stupid answer. 
 
Aesook nodded slowly, not believing him one bit. “Right...” 
 
They both looked down at their feet, the awkward silence quickly filling the space. Baekhyun dug his shoe into the snow, creating patterns in it. Aesook bit her lips nervously. The two looked up simultaneously and locked eyes with each other for a split second before Baekhyun broke away. Aesook’s heart fell a bit with disappointment. 
 
“Baekhyun-ah...” she called out to him. Baekhyun looked up at her, giving her his attention. “I have something to tell you?” 
 
“What is it?” He looked at her expectedly. 
 
“Baekhyun...” She looked at him straight in the eyes. “I know that you like me.” 
 
Baekhyun’s breath hitched, and his eyes widened with shock for a split second before returning back to normal. He chuckled nervously. “Of course, I do. We’re friends.” His voice slightly shook.
 
*Liar. Friends don’t avoid other friends,* Aesook thought bitterly. “I mean, as in...ya know... A romantic kind of way.”
 
“W-what? What are you talking about? I don’t like you.” 
 
“Baekhyun, don’t lie. I heard you confess to me when you slept.” 
 
“Why were you watching me sleep in the first place?” he snapped. 
 
Aesook shook her head. “Don’t change the subject.” 
 
The two looked at each other for a long time before he let out a deep sigh and bowed his head. “So what are you going to say?”
 
Aesook breathed in and out slowly. *It’s okay, Aesook-ah. You can do this. You’ve thought about this thoroughly. Just get it over with.*
 
“Baekhyun-ah. You’re a lovely friend. And in this short period of time, we’ve gotten close. Closer than I expected. And although Beast is kind of jealous of you, he knows that we’re friends. And knowing that you like me was such a surprise. I adore this friendship, Baekhyun oppa.” 
 
Baekhyun found her words a bit unsettling. He gulped, his throat drying out. “What are you trying to say?” he croaked out. 
 
Aesook shut her eyes. “When I first saw you in the forest, I thought you were from the town. I thought you were going to turn me in. And I would be forced to marry Siwon. But,” she reopened her eyes, “then you turned out to be one of the most interesting, mysterious person I’ve ever met.” 
 
Baekhyun stared at her with blank eyes, so she continued talking. “I was so intrigued by you. And you saved me from Siwon. I felt like I owed you. But that was just a lie. I didn’t owe you anything. I just wanted to help you. You were so lost. You didn’t know anyone or where to go. And when we came here, we got even closer.” 
 
Every word that came out of Aesook’s mouth made her want to falter and take them back. When she rehearsed the speech in the library, she was so sure that she was doing the right thing. But now she didn’t know anymore. 
 
“It was no problem, Aesook-ah... Only a cruel person would leave you in that town. If anything, I owe YOU.” 
 
Aesook smiled at him, making his heart flutter. “No, you don‘t...” She looked at him with sad eyes. “Listen. I know that you like me and everything. And you’re one of the only friends I have, to be honest.” 
 
Baekhyun looked at her, feeling his heart beating erratically. “Aesook-ah...”
 
“And I don’t want to do anything to risk it...” 
 
“Please...”
 
“I’m so sorry...” 
 
*No, please...* 
 
“...but I can’t...” 
 
*Please don’t say it.* 
 
“...accept your confession.” 
 
Baekhyun’s heart felt like it split in half. He wanted nothing more than to just run away and be alone. He wanted to break down and cry. He couldn’t handle rejection well. He knew that deep, deep down there was a possibility that this would happen, and he wished he was prepared for it. But the sudden blow from reality couldn’t stop him from being extremely disappointed and heartbroken. 
 
Aesook’s heart fell when she saw the expression on his face. “Baekhyun-ah... Please don’t be sad.” She grabbed his hand, which laid in her hand limply. “Don’t be sad. It’s just that I don’t want to ruin our friendship. I mean, I really do love being friends with you.” She gave him a big smile that Baekhyun just simply didn’t have the heart to return. 
 
“Why can’t you just accept me?” Baekhyun whimpered out. “I can do everything for you.”
 
Aesook was about to answer but froze. She didn‘t even know the answer herself anymore. “Because...” He looked at her expectedly. “Baekhyun, I’m sure it’s just a little crush. I want to end this before it blooms into something more.” 
 
Baekhyun felt all of his feelings getting into a cavity in his heart and was locked there. He nodded blankly. “Okay. You’re right. You won’t accept me. That’s fine. We’ll just be friends then.” 
 
But that little voice in his head didn’t leave him alone. *I told you so.*
 
Aesook, who was still holding onto his hand, raised it up and kissed the back of his hand, her breath tingling his skin. “We can get through it.” She pulled him towards the castle, and they made their way back inside. 
 
Baekhyun left his heart out in the snow.
 
 
 
 
Little did they know, someone was listening to them the whole time. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
O u O hi, guuuyyyyssss. LOL. 
 
Sorry fo not updating in a real long time (if a week is a long time LOL), but ya know, school all the time away from me T^T 
 
Comments would be appreciated, guys <3 LOL