Cinderella’s World Part 2: Job for the Dark-Skinned Man

Why is My Happily Ever After With EXO?! [Hiatus]

*Continuation from Chapter 9*

“J-J-Jessica Sunbae?!” Kai stared at Jessica with a flabbergasted expression. “W-wha-what are you doing here?!” 
 
Sooyeon looked at Kai with a shocked expression. *How does he know Stepmother to be calling her by her real name?* She stole a glance at Jessica, who looked mildly surprised at Kai. Sooyeon gulped nervously. *Oh, God. Please don’t let this boy do anything stupid.*
 
Jessica crossed her arms and rose an eyebrow at the young man in front of her. “How do you know my name?” She narrowed her eyes at him. “And answer my question. Who are you?” 
 
“Uhhm. K-Kim Jongin,” he stuttered shamefully. Usually he wouldn’t be so nervous in front of Jessica since she was so nice to her hoobae. But something about the Jessica in front of him was a little off; she seemed different. 
 
She scowled at him. “And what brings you here, Kim Jongin?” 
 
Sooyeon and Kai simultaneously gulped. “Uh, well-”
 
Suddenly, Sungmin came stomping out the house to see what that loud crash before had come from. “MOTHER! WHAT’S GOING O-” He stopped short when his eyes laid on Kai. Sooyeon could swear she saw his eyes turn into hearts. 
 
Sunny soon followed after. “MOTHER! WH-” Her eyes turned into hearts as soon as she spotted Kai. She ended up in the same state as her sister while they both drooled. She suddenly started running towards Kai, and Sungmin, realizing what his sister was doing, started running towards him too. 
 
Kai’s eyes widened as he started stepping backwards cautiously. The two sisters started shoving each other to the side, so one of them could reach him first. “ANASTASIA, GET OUT OF THE WAY!” Sungmin yelled while he pulled her hair.
 
“NO! HOW ABOUT YOU MOVE INSTEAD?!” Sunny started tugging on Sungmin’s clothes. 
 
Sooyeon stared with an open mouth at the two sisters fighting. *Wow... They must REALLY want him if they’re fighting like THIS. Poor kid.*
 
“ENOUGH!” Jessica shrieked. Sungmin and Sunny stopped fighting and froze in an awkward position. Jessica glared at the two. “What do you think you’re doing? You two are LADIES. ACT LIKE ONE.” 
 
Sungmin and Sunny straightened themselves out while tidying their clothes. They bowed their heads submissively. “Yes, mother...” 
 
Jessica rolled her eyes and laid her attention back onto Kai. “So. Why are you on our property?”
 
“I-uh-I don’t know...”
 
Sooyeon wanted to face palm herself so hard. *Are you kidding me?*
 
Jessica gave Kai a strange look. “You don’t KNOW? Are you being serious right now? Get off my property before I call the police.” 
 
Kai gave Sooyeon a panicked look, and she looked down at her feet. “N-no, wait!” 
 
Both Jessica and Sooyeon looked at him in surprise. “What? I SHOULDN’T kick you off? And why should I do that?” 
 
Sooyeon eyed Kai suspiciously. *What is he up to..?*
 
“I’m actually here...because she,” he pointed right in Sooyeon’s direction, “told me that I could stay here.” 
 
Sooyeon’s jaw would’ve broken off if it could as it dropped to the floor. *WHAT?!*
 
Jessica’s head snapped towards Sooyeon, who cowered away under her strong glare. “Oh?” She said a little too calmly. “And why would she say that?” 
 
“Well, Uhhm...” Kai glanced at Sooyeon, who looked scared to death and looked as if she was trembling. “I’m a friend of hers, and I needed a place to stay. She suggested that I live in the horse barn, so I wouldn’t be a hassle on you,” he lied through his teeth. 
 
Sooyeon looked at Kai with wide eyes. *What exactly is he trying to do?*
 
Sungmin and Sunny guffawed in unison. “FRIEND? HAHAHA! SOOYEON? REALLY? WHO WOULD WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH HER!” Sunny screamed with laughter. 
 
Kai frowned at his sunbae. *That’s rude.*
 
Sungmin slyly slipped over to Kai’s side. “I’ll be your friend, HANDSOME,” he flirted while fluttering his fake eyelashes at him and twirling circles on his chest. 
 
Kai’s face turned white with horror at how close Sungmin was getting. Luckily, Jessica scolded at Sungmin to get away from him. 
 
Jessica stared at Kai for a little while, and Kai shifted uncomfortably under her gaze. There was something hidden in her eyes that Kai couldn’t quite put his finger on. Eventually Jessica spoke up. “So I’m assuming you’re broke.”
 
Kai nodded, and Jessica’s face contorted in disgust. He gave a small pout, which made Sunny and Sungmin swoon a little. Sooyeon felt like there was a pit in her stomach. *I feel like something bad’s gonna happen.*
 
“Well,” Jessica crossed her arms, “I’ll let you stay here.” 
 
Both Kai’s and Sooyeon’s eyebrows shot up. “R-really?” 
 
Jessica looked at her, and Sooyeon immediately regretted speaking up. “What? Do you not want your friend to stay?” 
 
“W-what? No! That’s not what I meant! I just-uh-I,” she looked up at her stepmother, who stared back expectedly, “Uh...never mind...” 
 
Jessica rolled her eyes and returned her attention back to Kai. “As I was saying, you’re allowed to stay here,” she stole a glance at her stepdaughter and smirked, “but you’re going to be my errand boy.” 
 
Kai looked at Jessica confusedly. “Uhm, what?”
 
“You are to do all of the chores around the house, cook the food, tend to the animals, and follow my every word. And you can’t touch my precious daughters.” The two girls, who had jumped with joy at the news of a handsome boy living with them, slumped their shoulders in devastation. “Do you think you can do that?”
 
Kai scratched the back of his head nervously. It didn’t sound pleasant, but what else could he do. “I...I can.” 
 
Jessica smirked maliciously. *Excellent. I have another servant.* “Good. Sooyeon.” 
 
Sooyeon bowed her head towards her stepmother. “Yes, stepmother?”
 
“Go and take Jongin up to your room. He will be bunking with you.” 
 
Sooyeon gave Jessica a shocked look. “W-why MY room?!” 
 
Jessica shot a sharp look towards Sooyeon. “Did you just talk out of line with me?” She crept in closer to Sooyeon, who shrunk in fear. “Let me remind you that I could kick you out any time. And you’ll have no where to go. Arasso?” Sooyeon nodded so quickly that her head might’ve broken off her neck. “Now go.”
 
Sooyeon trudged her feet over to Kai and tugged on his arm. “Follow me,” she mumbled quietly. He followed Sooyeon towards the house, and he looked behind him to see Sungmin and Sunny waving at him and giving him flirty winks. He shuddered and looked back towards Sooyeon. 
 
The inside of the house was incredibly large, and everything was so clean that he could see his reflection on the floor. They walked up grand staircase and stopped outside a door. “Here. This is where our room is,” she said with her back turned to him. She was about to walk away when Kai grabbed her hand. 
 
“Hey, I’m sorry for throwing you under the bus like that. Let’s just be friends, okay?” 
 
Sooyeon just stood there quietly, not saying a thing. Then she turned to him with an indifferent expression on her face. She let out a small, bitter laugh before tearing her hand away from his grasp. 
 
“Welcome to hell.”