Flashing Back

Evolution

 

“Mummy, who’s that in the picture with you? He doesn’t look like daddy. Who is he?” Eunji asked. You take a deep breath and sigh. You know someday this day will come. You looked at your husband and he said “Go on. Tell her. We can’t hide this forever. She will find out sooner or later too.” He holds your hands and you turn back to Eunji and said “He’s my bestfriend. My bestfriend who never knows the word ‘giving up’….”

 

/ 8 Years Ago/

 

“Hey, you’re coming or not?” Sunggyu asked. He’s already opening the door car for you. You’re still sobbing as you say goodbye to your parents. You wonder why Sunggyu is not showing any sign of sadness because he’s leaving his parents too. You wipe your tears and say “Don’t worry mum and dad, I’ll study hard and make you proud. Believe in me”. They nods and tell you not to be so lazy and be careful when you’re in Seoul. You wave at them until the taxi exits the front gate.

You sank back to the seat and start crying back. “Yah, stop crying will you? Stop being such a cry baby and toughen up”. Sunggyu said. He hates it when you’re crying because he thinks crying is just for those who’s weak. “Tsk, tsk, okay. Why aren’t you crying anyway? Don’t you have any feelings? Are you a robot?” Sometimes Sunggyu can be so annoying to you. Can he just stop pretending to be manly for one day? “Why should I cry? They send us to Seoul so we can study hard and make them proud. What’s the use of crying? Plus, I’m a boy. It’ll be awkward to see my crying because of these little things.” As soon as you heard the word ‘they send us to Seoul so we can study hard and make them proud’ you started back crying. Sunggyu just stares and hands you a box of tissue. “Ergh, this is why I hate girls. Crying nonstop.”

You couldn’t stop your tears. In your head you’re wondering why your parents would do this to you. You can just study at home. No need to go to Seoul. “Hey, come here. Come here. Stop crying. Stop crying. I can’t stand it when you’re crying.” Sunggyu said. He’s already pulling you in and giving you a hug. “Oppa, I’m scared. What will I do when we reach Seoul? They’ll be a lot of bad guys there. Tsk tsk, I’m scared.” You force yourself to stop crying. You can’t be crying all day long. He wiped your tears and says “its okay, its okay. Oppa is here right? I’ll protect you okay? No one will hurt you. I’ll take care of you until the end. Now stop crying.” He holds you more tightly and starts singing a lullaby. After several minutes, you’re already asleep in his arms. He pushes away some strands of hair that’s covering your face. He stared at you for a long time and smiled. “Oh ~~~~~, why can’t you see me more than just a bestfriend. I loved you from the very first day and you don’t even know. Maybe someday you’ll be mine? Forever mine.” He holds you tight and fell asleep with you too.