35

Evolution

 

You walked home with Myungsoo that night. You two are chatting happily when suddenly your phone rings and Sunggyu’s name popped out. “Huh? Why is he calling? It’s just 8PM now, I’m still not late.” You picked it up and said, “Oppa, hello!” But then Hoya’s voice answered back, “Hello? Is this ~~~~~? Please come to the hospital now. There’s an emergency.”

You ran to the hospital with tears flowing down your face. You didn’t even look back to make sure Myungsoo is with you or not. You just run, run and keep on running to the hospital. When you reached the hospital, you asked the front counter which room is Sunggyu in and the lady told he’s on level four which is a floor especially for those who’s in surgery. “No, no, no. He can’t be in the surgery room.” You said and ran to level four. When you reached the place, Hoya is waiting outside the surgery room with a worried face. “Oppa, where is Sunggyu?” You asked. Hoya looks up and said, “Oh. You’re here and you brought this jerk with you. Hmm, fine. He’s in the surgery room. Sit down, wait for him here with me.” You’re still panting when you’re talking with him, “What happened? Did he got into some accident?” You asked. Hoya shakes his head and said, “No. He’s operating his lungs..” He sighed and said, “Look, I should’ve told you earlier but Sunggyu begged me not to tell anyone so I’m very sorry.” You heart is beating so fast like a racing car. “He has lungs cancer.”

You felt like your world is colliding down but Myungsoo sits next to you and holds your hand tightly to prevent you from falling down. “Since when?” You asked. “After a few weeks he enrolled. You didn’t notice it? He was coughing so badly the past few weeks.” Hoya said. Sunggyu was coughing so badly but he said it’s just a normal cough to you. “Why didn’t he tell me about this?” Hoya just shrugs and said, “I don’t know. I told him to tell you the truth but he refused it. He said he doesn’t want you to be sad. He wants you to be happy. He doesn’t want you to be sad just because of him.” Tears are flowing down like a waterfall on your face. “But why. Doesn’t it just make it a lot worse? What am I supposed to do now then? At least he could’ve told me earlier so I can prepare myself. WHY.” You said and started crying so badly. Myungsoo just pulls you in his arms and started to calm you down. “Its no use to cry, now. I dropped off so many hints to you. Remember when I came to your house? Do you still remember those words I said to you?” Hoya said, sharply. “Hey, dude. No need to say like it’s her fault okay.” Myungsoo answers back. “It’s okay Myungsoo. This is my entire fault. I should’ve realized it earlier. I’m such a bad dongsaeng.” You said and cry harder in Myungsoo’s arms.