The Trial Begins

Hiding Away~COMPLETED

 

 

The week passed by slowly, arduously so, as Seunghee couldn't really find a time to meet with Eli in person, but they made sure to call each other everynight. The day of the trial came suddenly, and she only wished Eli could've come along, but she realized his idol reputation would've been in jeopardy if he had been able to go.

 

Sighing, she remained silent in the car ride over to the courthouse. As her dad drove, her mom looked over at her from the front seat, worriedly.

"You don't have to do this dear." She reminded her gently. Seunghee glanced back at her mother, shaking her head firmly.

 

"I have to omma. I'll be okay." She tried to reassure her mother. Her mom nodded, extending her hand out, and Seunghee took it, squeezing her mom's hand warmly.

 

When they arrived in front of the courthouse steps, she could already see piles of photographers and reporters outside. 

 

"Oh dear. This is ridiculous" Mrs Lee said, frowning.

 

She and her mother quickly linked hands as they got outside, and rushed into the courthouse, refraining from talking to any of the people outside, as her father followed them into the building.

 

~

When she sat down in the witnesses pew with the other girls, Seunghee started to tense up but forced herself to breathe normally. The man who had molested her and the other girls was sitting in the opposite stand, and it made her blood boil.

 

The judge came in and sat down, ushering everyone to take a seat.

 

"Court is in session. We are here to discuss So Ji Hyuk's case, on account of four counts of molestation of minors and one account of . Let us begin." The judge announced.

 

The first to speak was Ji Hyuk's lawyer. He strode up to the podium smugly.

 

"Your honor and good people of the jury. Ji Hyuk has been working at Camp Inhwa for the Youth for almost 20 years. Do you really believe these girls? Who are trying to play the innocent card? Or my respectable client?" He asked, as muttering began within the jury.

 

The judge banged his gavel down on the table. 

"Silence. Attorney Lim, you may take the stand." He announced to the lawyer who was representing Seunghee and the other victims.

 

He walked up to the podium calmly. "My opposing attorney says that Mr. So is a respectable man. Yet, if so, would he really have four girls protesting that he was not so respectable? These girls are smart enough to know what would happen if they were making up false claims, which I do not believe is the case.Most of these girls, experienced Mr. So's vile acts quite some time ago. Yet one of the victims here, has been tested and we are waiting if in fact the found is Mr. So's." He countered back.

 

The other attorney, Attorney Song, paled. "You never mentioned you had left any.."He started to say, and then realized everyone was overhearing him.

 

He smiled at everyone nervously. "I..I object! Though Attorney Lim makes a valid case, how do we not know that this girl was not, merely asking for Mr. So's advances?" He suggested, and looked at all the victims in disgust.

 

The judge banged the gavel on the table. "Enough!" He roared, 

 

The victims glared at him in anger. Seunghee joined hands with both girls next to her and they started a chain of solidarity. They had all been through a terrible ordeal, with the last at the far end, the worst.

 

"What kind of attorney are you to say such a thing?!" Someone in the audience yelled out and everyone started discussing amongst themselves.

 

Seunghee deflated in her seat. Of course the vile being, would have a vile lawyer as well. Figures.

 

"Order! Enough. Now see as the test results to see if it in fact Mr. So's DNA, will take..." He started to say, and then looked at Attorney Lim to clarify.

 

"48 hours sir." He clarified.

 

"If no one has anything else to say, we will have to postpone this case until that evidence has been brought, for two days." He explained.

 

Everyone sighed, as Hyunsik tried not to smirk, as he was led away.

 

The jury and the audience dispersed, and Seunghee went with her parents wearily back to their car, to go home.

 

~

 

While Seunghee was holed up in her room, she couldn't help but hear Attorney Song's words, echoing in her head.

 

"How do you know the girls hadn't asked for it?"

 

"What if they're making false claims?"

 

 

Seunghee shriveled up inside, her stomach churning, as she curled up in a fetal position.

 

How could people even think that? Why were those standards so screwed up when it came to guys and girls?

 

Her phone rang a little while later, Eli making his routine night call.

 

She spoke first.

 

"Oppa, was I a to cause that man to do that to me?" She asked forwardly.

 

Eli blanched at this. "Mwoh? No. Why are you even saying that?" He asked.

 

Seunghee sighed, sniffing a little. "The trial went pretty badly. The other lawyer was just as much as a as the accused man. Excuse my language." She said.

 

Eli became downcast at this. "Well, if that lawyer said anything that tried to imply you or othe other girls were 'asking for it' then that's ed up. And I'm not sorry for cursing." Eli said, angry at the lawyer's implications.

 

Seunghee was appreciative of his standing up for her and the others. "I know. Thanks oppa. I'm feeling a bit tired from the trial so I'll call you tomorrow?" She said softly, rubbing her eyes.

 

"Sure." Eli said softly.

 

"Oh wait, how was the show?" She suddenly asked remembering.

 

"It was good. I can tell you about it tomorrow since you're tired though." He offered.

 

Seunghee sat up straight in her bed. 

 

"No. I can stay up a bit. Really. Tell me what you guys sang and how it went." She asked, sounding genuinely curious.

 

Eli smiled into his phone. "Well first we did one of our older tracks, Round and Round, and Manmanhani, and then we did some of the more recent ones, like Doradora and Still Standing. The crowd was pretty energetic. You should come next time." He said.

 

Seunghee smiled listening to his story. "I'd like that. But of course I can't sit in the VIP box, that'd be a bit fishy." She reminded him.

 

Eli harrumphed at this in protest. "But, I can't let my girlfriend get squashed in the back." He said, in mock horror.

 

Seunghee laughed. "I'll be fine. How about two rows away from the box then?" She suggested.

 

"I can work with that." Eli said.

 

"Great. I'll be sure to write it down on my calendar." She told him.

 

"Okay. Night Seunghee." He said softly.

 

"Night oppa." She said, stifling a yawn, and then fell asleep.

 

~

A few hours later, Seunghee woke up to a commotion outside her room. Her mom sounded surprised, but pleased, and her dad sounded a bit wary.

 

Her door slowly creaked open. And then someone came padding in through the door, and Seunghee shot up in alarm.

 

But it was Eli standing there.

 

Her eyes were wide, and then she looked at him in confusion.

 

"Oppa? Am I dreaming?" She asked, more to herself.

 

Her mom smiled and went back to bed as her dad made a motion of "i have my eye on you" to Eli and then followed his wife afterward.

 

Eli chuckled, talking softly. "Nope. I just had to do a quick visit. Sorry to wake you." He apologized.

 

Seunghee shook her head. "No I haven't seen you this whole week." She said, looking at him in disbelief.

 

He sat down beside her and hugged her tightly, while she rested her head on his shoulder.

 

"I missed you. Ah. I knew this would be difficult but wow." She admitted.

 

Eli agreed. "If only you could like live at the dorm or something." He said.

 

Seunghee laughed lightly at this. "First parents would never agree to it, second that's really not keeping things on the down low, and third, I do not want to live with six guys, no offense." She said.

 

Eli chuckled back, releasing her from his hug.

 

"Just a suggestion." He said, smiling.

 

Seunghee smiled back. "How did you get here?" She asked him curiously.

 

He shrugged. "I drove. Took manager hyung's car. But Soohyun hyung was sleep walking around again, so I can't stay long in case he really wakes up and finds me gone.' He explained.

 

Seunghee chuckled at this.

 

"Okay. Thanks for visiting then." She said, and hugged him again for good measure.

 

Eli hugged her back, staring at her lips when he released her, but remembered her open doorway and her dad's warning.

 

Seunghee laughed at seeing his inner turmoil.

 

She quickly pecked him on the lips, and gave him a shh signal and then walked him out of the apartment, the stunned expression still on his face.

 

Sighing, Seunghee settled back into bed, drifting off to sleep.