Aftershock

Baby Baby

 

“Thank you doctor,” Halmoni said sweetly after the doctor gave us updates on the birth. She said that the baby was healthy, even though the birth was premature. They did a checkup while I was asleep but she’s doing great, which of course, made my day. The only irregular activity baby had to go through was, because of her premature birth, she would be hooked onto an incubator for at least 3 days.

“Can I see her?” I asked as a nurse came by with a breakfast tray. I was so pooped, giving birth in the wee hours of the morning, getting a few hours of sleep, but surprisingly giddy and fine this morning.

“Our assistant nurses are washing her up, but as soon as she’s done and in the nursery, I’ll inform you,” The nurse smiled before leaving.

“Arasseo,” I said trying to eat, then squeeled, waking up a half-asleep Junnie, as Halapoji came in through the door with a bag of what I would predict, food.

“BWOH?” He said, crankily with concern.

“I HAVE A BABY!” I said twisting around in my bed. “OUCH!” I yelped, clutching onto my cut up stomach. Just the thought of having them opening me up for baby made me dizzy, but I felt a stronger bond to my baby.

Which got me thinking… “What will I name her?!” I smiled, then thought of Dongwoon and the rest of the gang. I wish they could help me, this is one of the most exciting crucial parts. “Eh, the name will come to me, I guess.” I sighed.

“I miss my baby already,” I said as Halmoni and Halapoji ate food and gave me warm smiles.

 

 

 

 

 

A few minutes later, Halmoni and Halapoji left, claiming they would come back in a hour or so.

“Ugh,” I groaned, “Boring,” I said with a flat expression, switching from channel to channel.

“No, keep it one! I like Kara!” Junnie said as I switched channels.

“Fine.” I said and started messing with my nails. That only keeps you SO ENTERTAINED…

“So.. you didn’t tell anyone about this right?” I asked, a little intimidated awaiting the answer.

“Ani, Not yet, I wanted to ask your permission first,” He said responsibly.

“This is why you’re my best friend,” I giggled, pinching his cheek. “Please, Don’t tell anyone. I will be the one. I want to amend things first.” I said, breathing in guilt. Anxiety was piling up inside of me, about the situation. I’ll just think about baby for this week, then see what happens.

“Miss, you can visit your baby in the nursery now, our aid will help you,” the nurse asked. I didn’t even hear the door open.

I nodded, excited, “Yeh!” and shifted my body with Junnie’s and the Assistant nurse’s help.

My legs were dangling on the side of the bed, as the assistant put some slipper on my feet, and I hopped down, only to be let down by my jello knees.

“Careful,” They said, as I slowly straightened my back. I was more sore than I thought.

The first two steps , but after awhile, I got used to the weird, jelllo-like feeling. I felt lighter already with the baby out of my stomach.

I started walking faster as I approached the giant window showing off the nursery, filled with many babies.

The assistant slid her card through the lock on the door, and opened it.

My ears were filled with coo-ing babies, and I couldn’t help but glow pink with joy, and squeal, very silently though.

“Where’s baby?” I clapped my hands together.

“Right over here, Miss,” The assistant said as Junnie and I made our way to the incubators. “Here she is,” She smiled and stopped infront of the box with baby wrapped in a pink blanket.

“Aww!” I cooed, leaning to the window, familiarizing myself with her tiny face. Her subtle features were already familiar to me. “Hi cutie pie,” I cooed, softly.

“She’s beautiful,” Junnie whispered next to me.

My eyes were full of wonder as I watched her breathe.

I squealed again, full of happiness, my full attention to my baby.

 

“Is she yours?” I heard behind me, loudly and jumped.

I turned my head, but Junnie answered before me.

“Ne.” he said a little rudely. I gave him a look, but he didn’t see, as he glared at whoever was behind me.

I turned my head back to the stranger, “Ye, this is my baby girl,” I smiled.

“Oh, well she is beautiful, you both are lucky parents.” The man said. I nodded, smiling politely to make up for Junnie’s rudeness.

“Oh, He’s not my husband or anything, he’s just my best friend.” I explained to the young looking fellow. He was probably an inch or so taller than Junnie, a little tanner, with a pretty built body. He had an attractive face-well not to me, but probably the majority of women would find him incredibly appealing- Dimples, chiseled jawline, strong facial features such as deep eyes, a straight, pointed nose, and full lips. But honestly, I wasn’t appealed to him at all. My heart at the moment was shaken, and my thoughts revolved around Dongwoon.

“Oh, I see. Where’s the husband?” He said politely. Junnie stood up.

“I don’t have one,” I answered the awkward question with solidity. I wasn’t afraid to answer anymore… Or I was too tired and preoccupied to notice.

A few more seconds of examining and adoring my baby, it got awkward.

I tried to stand up, but failed, so I felt an arm on my elbow.

“Thanks,” I smiled looking around for Junnie, I found him watching me from the door way, he was on the phone, he was covering his mouth so it would be quieter, and looked serious…

“No problem,” The guy smiled very widely. Wow, “actor status”… I’m thinking this in the most sarcastic way you can imagine.

I left him to leave, but he spoke,

“I’m Logan,” He said.

I turned, not-interested-why was he even here? But I should still be polite anyways, I was happy…

“Nice to meet you,” I said, giving him a smile, I turned to leave and spoke to Junnie to really end this little meeting.

“Jun..” I said softly, nearing his range.

“I’ll call you back,” He said sternly.

“Who was that?” I said with questioning eyes.

“Jihyun,” He smiled, looking to the plastic crib the baby, as if nothing happened, admiring his neice.

“Bwoh?” I said still concerned, shaking him, and followed his eyes to where baby lay, noticing the vacancy in the nursery.

“She just said Dongwoon is being weird, and, frustrated all the time. He even broke a few of the silverware this morning, claiming it was an accident. Kikwang’s been helping though.” He said unphased at all, still admiring baby.

I sighed. “This is really all my fault,” I said closing my eyes.

I felt a comforting arm around my shoulder.  “Like I say, even if we have rough patches, even if we cry, and even if we get in fights, in the end we’ll be okay, and we’ll make it. Focus on that.” He said and I smiled as he always made things better. “I bet you before a month, you will be happy with Dongwoon and Min will be your best friend once again. Trust me.” He said through warm smiles.