5 ★ Double Date... or Not? Pt. 1

The Star-Crossed Hearts
"Ugh, it's frustrating!" Jieul groans and pouts. "This lecturer is trying to pick a fight with us. Seriously!"
 
"Can't help it," I continue typing on the notebook, fixing my gaze on the screen with bored expression. "We need to finish it within a week. We will be the first to do the presentation."
 
"I know but still!" she throws a sharp look at the paper next to her. "I mean, all the business plan, including all financial report must be done in two weeks?! Does he think we don't have another thing to do?!"
 
I know why she keeps complaining and I can't blame her either. Yoojoon only stays in silence, trying to finish his task because I know he is getting sick of it as well.
 
It's Sunday morning and we're in Yoojoon's room to finish our group task for a presentation which we must finish in one week from now. Our lecturer sure has the heart to give us such a complicated task.
 
All of us are the students of last semester, meaning that we have the final project that we must fulfill as our last duty as the student in college. The final project is not the easy one.
 
We have three persons in one team and we must finish the report according to our topic, objectives, and methods. My class can choose whether to do it from internship method or just an ordinary one like me.
 
My group doesn't consist my best friends along. I take it as a challenge to work with new companions but I must admit that it does waste my patience once in a while because I'm not getting used with their ways yet.
 
This presentation team, or whatever task this is, consists of eleven members and we are doing our best as for now because all of us have busy schedules regarding our personal tasks.
 
What makes all of us become more irritated is the fact that today is one day before New Year's Eve. The year is going to end and we're here, working our not-too-important task.
 
"I want to watch the new movie," I finally stop typing and glance at Jieul. "You've watched it already, haven't you?"
 
Jieul flinches a little, giving me an awkward grin since she feels guilty for me, "I didn't know you want to watch that movie... Sorry, Riah."
 
I was going to retort her when Dongwoo suddenly tells me a surprising news, "Myungsoo is looking for you on Twitter. Have you seen it?"
 
"Eh?" I blink with confusion before I look at his tweet from Dongwoo's notebook. "Ah, he mentioned all of us."
 
Myungsoo asked us about joining him to watch the movie, which I really want to watch as well, because a group of our classmates are going to watch it. He doesn't feel to comfortable because he is not really close with them so he asked us to accompany him.
 
I quickly grab my phone and realize that there is two unread text messages from me. His message and his tweet is the same, asking whether I will watch the movie with the others or not.
 
Without wasting another second, I give Myungsoo a call, waiting for him to pick it up, "Ah, where are you, Kim Myungsoo?"
 
"Somewhere?" he laughs for no reason. "Where are you, Hyung? Have you read my messages?"
 
"Read it. I'm working on the group task with the others in Yoojoon's house," I answer calmly, feeling slightly annoyed with the 'Hyung' nickname. "Where are-"
 
"Okay! I'm going there then," he cuts in without waiting for my continuation. He ends the conversation, leaving me dumbfounded.
 
"What did he say?" Dongwoo asks when I return to my seat. "Is he going for the movie?"
 
"He is on his way here," I reply, still feeling confused with his easy going personality. I know he's always been like this but I feel...
 
I don't even know how to describe the feeling.
 
I try to shove away the thought and return my focus to work my tasks. However within minutes, he has arrived and Yoojoon rushes to open the door for him, welcoming him warmly.
 
"You haven't finished the presentation?" he looks at all of us one by one before taking an empty seat next to Dongwoo. "I haven't finished mine. Ah, all of you are so dilligent."
 
"Aren't you going to catch up with them?" I change the subject immediately, knowing that his objective to come is to ask us to go with him.
 
"How about you?" he asks, looking at my eyes directly. I can feel that my heart skips a beat upon his gaze.
 
"Busy," I avoid his gaze, pretending to be busy with my notebook. "If you want to go, just go. We're busy, you know."
 
"I need to buy something else too," he rubs the back of his neck and looks at the ceiling. "I need to buy clothes for my cousin's wedding day."
 
I haven't even thought of anything to ask but Myungsoo has stood up and bids us goodbye, "I'm leaving then. Tell me if there is anyone who has interest to watch the movie today!"
 
He leaves the room and, this time, Jieul walks him out. I just frown, feeling completely confused with him.
 
Easy come, easy go.
 
Why do I feel that Kim Myungsoo is like the autumn wind that comes and disappears in a while?
 
"Sorry, I'm late," Sunggyu, another groupmate of our team comes in with Jieul. Looks like he just arrived right when Myungsoo left. "How's the presentation? Any progress?"
 
Jieul answers him, telling him the detail of our project so he can help us. Meanwhile my mind is still wandering around because I really want to watch the movie.
 
This movie is the sequel and I watched the predecessor on New Year's Eve last year. I really want to end this year with this movie as well; it's my wish.
 
"I want to watch the movie...," I murmur vividly, pouting my lips like a child. I know it's no use because I need to wait for the others to finish their tasks even though I've finished mine.
 
"Ah, you mean that new movie?" Sunggyu, our groupmate asks me, leaving his task as well. "You haven't watched it?"
 
"Have you?" I shoot back at him, raising my eyebrow at him.
 
"Nope," he shrugs his shoulders and returns to his work. "Eunri said that it's a top box office movie."
 
Without even thinking twice, forgetting about the fact that Eunri is his girlfriend, I ask someone's boyfriend to watch the movie with me, "Let's watch it!"
 
There are seconds of silence before I quickly add, "Let's go with Eunri too! All of the others here have watched it! They said it's great! Come on!"
 
Sunggyu crosses his arms and then looks at the floor, thinking for a before he mumbles, "I want to watch it too... I'll ask Eunri first, okay?"
 
"Yah, Riah," Jieul taps my shoulder and gives me a sign to come closer so she can whisper something to me when Sunggyu gives a call to Jieun. "Are you sure?"
 
"About what?" I ask her back, still don't get what she is asking to me.
 
"It's just you, Myungsoo, Sunggyu, and his girlfriend," Jieul looks confused with my innocent question. "Don't you get it? Two boys, two girls. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?"
 
I can feel heat creeps to my cheeks but I pretend that I don't understand what she is trying to tell me, "I just want to watch the movie."
 
"Eunri agreed," Sunggyu tells me with a smile. "Who will buy the tickets then?"
 
That's when I can't deny the fact that there are only four of us who will go to watch the movie.
 
"Double date, eh?" Jieul teases me with a whisper. She has the sly smirk on her face. "What did I say before, Su Riah?"
 
No. This is not a double date... is it?