20 ★ Graduation Day Pt. 1

The Star-Crossed Hearts

"I'm sorry, Riah, but I love someone else," Myungsoo speaks and gives me a pitiful gaze. "I'm sorry but let's just be friends."

A familiar girl who I recognize as Yeorin appears from nowhere and walk to Myungsoo's side. She links her arm with his and gives me a proud smile, "Let's go, Myungsoo."

I can't say anything at all. Words are stuck in my throat as I watch two of them give their backs to me, walking away, leaving me alone with a broken heart.


I open my eyes and sit up with racing heartbeat. My eyes look for the clock and realize that it's three in the morning.

So it's just a dream. A nightmare.

"See what happened because of sleeping at midnight, Su Riah," I scold myself, heaving a sigh. "Stupid dream. Bad timing..."

It is indeed a really bad timing. Why should I have such kind of dream right before my graduation day?

Right, it's because of Sunggyu's conversation with Dongwoo and Woohyun yesterday.

After our graduation rehearsal, one day before the official graduation ceremony, some of my classmates decided to go to nearby public park to take pictures together.

Unfortunately I didn't talk with Myungsoo yesterday. Not even for simple greetings. Our seats were far and he went straight home right away after the rehearsal was done. Woohyun told me that he didn't feel good so he would need a good rest.

When we're already at the public park, I accidentally listened to the boys' conversation about Yeorin.

Choi Yeorin, a girl from our class who is famous as a model. She is Myungsoo's ex-girlfriend. They broke up two years ago because Yeorin cheated on him.

I never really cared about this before since I knew Yeorin was in a new relationship already. Myungsoo didn't stick too close with her as well nowadays so why would I even think about it?

"Maybe Myungsoo is charmed with Yeorin today!" Dongwoo laughed, a reaction of a random question why Myungsoo didn't go with us to the public park. "She did look different today, didn't she?"

Sunggyu raised his eyebrow playfully, "Ha! The love grows again, eh?"

My heart skipped a beat upon the statement especially when Woohyun added, "You know, Yeorin asked me to check her email a week ago since she couldn't open it at time."

"She told me her email and password. She said that I shouldn't laugh but I laughed when she told me her password," Woohyun told Sunggyu and Dongwoo. "It's unbelievable!"

What? She still uses Myungsoo's name as her password?" Dongwoo guessed and, for my surprise, Woohyun nodded as the answer.

"She said she's too lazy to change it so she let it be," Woohyun muttered. "Well, who knows if she is telling us the truth or not."


Kim Myungsoo and Choi Yeorin were perfect.

People said so. Haemin said so.

One is handsome, another one is pretty. They look perfect together.

I remember Myungsoo told me once about the moment when he broke up with Yeorin. He was shocked since Yeorin was his first girlfriend. He never expected his first broken heart was because of cheating.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons why he chose to stay out of love relationship till this moment...

...or maybe I just want to find an excuse because he doesn't return my feeling. My first dream about Myungsoo is a nightmare. I'm pretty sure it's not a good sign. I have no idea why I should have a dream like that right before my graduation day.

Rejection.

Just by imagining it, my heart clenches with pain. I'm not going to confess my feeling to him, knowing that rejection will crush me down. Plus I don't think ruining our friendship is a good idea.

What if he really walks away forever from my life? What will I do? What if...

"Riah!" a voice calls out my name through the crowd. Jieul rushes to me and gives me a friendly hug. "You look beautiful!"

"And so do you," I chuckle, giving her a sincere compliment. She looks amazing with her make ups and everything. "Where is Yoojoon?"

Today is our graduation day. The girls dress up as perfect as possible, trying to be pretty on the important day. The guys make sure they look good and handsome today.

Students gather in the auditorium hall, getting ready because the graduation ceremony will start in minutes. Each of us goes to our seats and follows the ceremony until the very last session.

My eyes wander around, trying to find the person I want to see the most today but I can't find him. I guess I just need to wait until the graduation ceremony is over.

Strange enough I don't put a high expectation to meet Myungsoo today. Learning from my past experiences, asking for a chance to be with him is just going to disappoint me. The more I think about him, the farther I become with him... and I have enough of it.

Besides the nightmare crosses my mind again.

Confession.

I did think about it once. Maybe I should just tell him everything, speaking out about my heart to Myungsoo so he would realize my feeling towards him. Maybe I should be honest...

...but it's not that easy. It's easier said than done. More likely it's impossible.

When I watched movies or read books, it looked easy and natural for girls to confess their feelings, especially at countries like United States or England but, for me, it's just difficult.

Books and movies gave us impression that love would come and go so we didn't need to worry. If your love rejected you, one day a new love would come to you.

Perhaps that's true.

Perhaps after Myungsoo realizes my feeling and everything is clear, my love life will be so much better.

However the pain of a broken heart is unforgettable. It's painful and, like what sad love songs said, it can make you feel like your world just collapsed.

I'm not ready. My heart is not ready to be broken.

"Aigoo, where is Jieul?" Haemin looks around to find our best friend but the students with exactly same graduation gowns are roaming around the auditorium, causing us to be confused.

The graduation ceremony is over and the crowd blend in one together. Some look after their parents, some others take pictures with their friends, some students are looking for their classmates like what I'm doing wih Haemin.

Jieul and Yoojoon disappeared in the crowd while Sooeul is meeting up with her parent first. Five of us want to take picture together but it's just difficult with this kind of crowded place.

"Ah, it's Myungsoo!" Haemin beams as she points to a man who is wearing his black graduation gown and cap. "Myungsoo!"

There my heart beats uncontrollably again. Wearing his glasses, Kim Myungsoo looks really handsome. A smile forms on his lips as he greets us, "Yo, Haemin, Hyung!"

Happiness takes half of my heart but the other part of my heart feels uneasy.

After today, each of us will put all of our focuses on work. We're alumni now and supposed to be responsible adults. We will walk different paths in the future.

Should I let today end without doing anything or...?