FINAL: One Heart

The Star-Crossed Hearts
This story is inspired by true events,
therefore I'm not going to decide the ending by myself.
 
I'm sorry if the ending does not fulfill your expectation but I can't let this story to go on and on without an ending, right? ;)
 
However please do tell me your opinion about what might happen after Riah gave the special birthday present. :)
 
Please note down that I don't user L's real birthday (13 March) as his birthday in this story so, please, don't bother with the timeline to March till end of the year.
 
 
I give two alternate endings for all readers here.
 
Below is how I wanted the story to end.
 
Have a good reading time. :)
 
 
 
★ ★ ★
 
 
 
"All I want for Christmas is your happiness. Yes, you."
 
I tweet the words in order of sending Christmas greetings to all of my friends on this holiday. I scroll over the timeline and, there, I see his username.
 
As if nothing ever happened between us, days passed by and everything goes on in life for both of us. We're drown in our busy tasks at office and all. I haven't managed to talk with him personally afterwards.
 
I was taking time for myself, to adjust my heart from forgetting what people could call 'love'. There is no sign from him that he got my signs through the message anyway.
 
But drawing distance doesn't do any good either. Besides it's nearly impossible to act cold towards him when he is actually one of my best friends, putting aside the fact that I'm in love with him.
 
"Merry Christmas, Myungsoo! ^^"
 
I send him a message, trying not to expect an extraordinary reply for him. This is all just as a friend and that's what I need to remember.
 
"Merry Christmas, Hyung. kkk~"
 
That's his answer. And that's what I have guessed would come from him. At least he still replied, meaning he doesn't feel awkward after I gave a personal birthday present.
 
I was going to leave my phone while I do something else but the my phone LED beeps, a sign that a new message has arrived. From him.
 
"A creative birthday card. Thanks for the present, Miss."
 
He noticed it?
 
"Eh? You got the hidden message?! Seriously?"
 
"Of course. Our brain works quite the same. kkk~ Arrange the letters in bold and, bingo, got it."
 
Bold. Right. He only got the eleven messages, not the last one. Not the one I put with 'love' in the words. That's why he still treats me friendly like this.
 
Must be like that.
 
"But the last one is quite difficult."
 
My eyes widen upon his last message. The last one. He knew it?
 
Before I could understand what he is trying to tell me, my phone suddenly vibrates. I swear my heart almost stops beating when I see the name on caller ID.
 
Kim Myungsoo.
 
"Y-Y-Yoboseyo?" Why am I even stammering?!
 
"Yo, Hyung," his voice greets me cheerfully. "You're at home?"
 
I tighten my grip on phone as I answer him as calm as possible, "Yes. What is it? It's so unusual for you to call me unless something important is up."
 
He laughs and I curse myself from being happy just by listening to his laughter. How can I expect myself from stop loving him in days when I have caught in love with him for more than one year?
 
"How long did it take for you to arrange those hidden messages, Riah?" he asks a question I never expected. "It's a good thing I could read all of them, eh?"
 
"I...," I pause, trying to find what I should say to him. "The last one... It took me one year to express it."
 
Crazy Su Riah. What did you just say to him?!
 
There are seconds of silence between us and I feel really, really awkward. I shouldn't have said it!
 
"You know...," Myungsoo speaks out first and I hear him chuckling as if I just said something funny. "I'm happy to have the maroon shirt, just like what I always wanted, but... Reading your last hidden message is the best part."
 
What did he just say?
 
"Ever since I broke up with Yeorin, it felt somehow scary to fall in love," he doesn't wait for me to respond. "Seriously. I mean it would hurt myself just by thinking about it."
 
"I wanted to talk first but I was scared that I would be ignored. I didn't want to write a long and meaningful message from heart just to end up get nothing in return. I would feel stupid to do effort when I knew I won't get anything back. I thought I would just sit back and wait until someone talked to me first... which I thought would never happen," he finishes his words.
 
What is he trying to imply actually?
 
"But...," Myungsoo continues again, "...someone eventually talked to me. She never ignores me. She never gives me nothing but everything. Even when I backed off, she would come to me, talk to me, and my heart was never the same anymore. When she gave me a birthday present, I thought it was the end. Because she didn't talk to me anymore. But, once again, she came to me first."
 
Wait a minute. Is he...
 
"Yah, Hyung, aren't you going to say anything?" he teases me. "I just poured out my heart to you, you know."
 
"I...," I stop. I don't know what to say. Is he just teasing me or...
 
"It's kind of difficult to talk on phone, eh?" he assumes by himself. "Looks like it's my turn to talk and come to her first. Hmm, a dinner will do justice, I guess."
 
"Riah, care to join me for dinner tomorrow?"
 
With that one question, I finally understand.
 
His heart. My heart.

All of these times, our two different hearts are actually yearning to be one.
 
Perhaps even though two hearts are star-crossed, in one time or another, they will eventually cross paths.
 
And become one.
 
 
__________
 
 
Author's Note:
 
Yes, it's the end of the alternate ending.
If you're wondering what happened in the real life, please continue to the next final chapter. ;)
 
Drop your comments below or mention me through Twitter @AFFkyuri91
 
Thank you for reading! :)