12 ★ Better

The Star-Crossed Hearts
I heave a sigh and glance at my friends who are sitting in a row. Jieul is still crying and so is Haemin. Sooeul tries to calm them down, telling both of her friends that everything will be alright.
 
They just finished their presentation for the final project but looks like things don't go as smooth as what we wanted.
 
One of the lecturers actually told them it would be better if they have a second presentation, meaning they will not pass today with the good grades.
 
For us, passing the first presentation is a really important point. Well, who doesn't want to pass their exams anyway?
 
It's not like they don't pass the qualifications but the lecturer thought they're not good enough to reach the best score. Since the lecturer knows three of them, he doesn't want them to pass without a better grade.
 
I have passed mine around five days ago. I don't get the A as my score but a B. Sure I'm not satisfied enough but I guess that's what I could get after what I've done and I should be grateful for it.
 
I was down that day, feeling useless because I couldn't make my parents proud with the best grade. They don't ask for anything but I felt that I should have done better.
 
Now that I accompany them to give my friends support, I don't know what to do or say when the situation turned out to be this way.
 
My heart aches when I see their tears because I can imagine how sad it is when someone told you that you couldn't pass the presentation for the final project.
 
It's frustrating.
 
I walk away and go to the next corridor, leaning myself to the wall and take out my phone. I stare at the wallpaper for a while, biting my bottom lip with hesitation.
 
I really want to talk to someone, who can hear my rambling, who can listen to my complaints. I have one name in mind but I'm hesitating.
 
"It's alright, Riah, it's alright," I say to myself and then search for the name in my contacts.
 
Myungsoo.
 
I'm actually still mad at him. On the day I had my final project presentation, I was hoping that he would say something to me. At least I wished he would give me his support like the others.
 
Some sent me text messages. Some tweeted for me, wishing the best luck. Some even came and watched the presentation as their support.
 
He did nothing. He did come but he watched another team's presentation with his friends. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad because he didn't come for me.
 
However I know that it's just a wishful thinking to think that he actually has feelings for me but, yes, I wish that I have a special spot in his heart. Especially after that night.
 
Maybe I'm just asking for something impossible. He just talked to me that night because I had time to listen to him.
 
Perhaps it's nothing special.
 
We're too different to share the same feeling and I can't cross the line of a friend in his life.
 
"What's up, Hyung?"
 
He picks my call!
 
"Ah, I...," I pause, thinking for the right words to say. "Are you busy?"
 
"Nope. Why?" he retorts calmly. "What a surprise for you to call me this time, Hyung!"
 
"Cocky," I mumble and force a laughter. "I'm still mad at you, you know."
 
"Aish, what is it?" he replies jokingly. "You rejected my congratulation greeting for you after your presentation and now you're the one who is mad at me?"
 
I pout and tell him the reason, "It's because you didn't say anything to me as your support. You're so cocky, Myungsoo."
 
"Eh? Really?" he sounds extremely surprised. "I said it already!"
 
"No, you didn't!" I reply, surpressing my surprise to find out that it's a stupid misunderstanding from my point of view. "Not even a word!"
 
"Oh, sorry then. I thought I've said it. Really," he apologizes and I can imagine he is grining widely right now. "Settled, Hyung?"
 
I sigh and then smile sheepishly, "Fine, fine. Aish. Are you studying right now for tomorrow?"
 
Tomorrow Myungsoo will have his presentation. That's why he doesn't come to give his support for Haemin, Jieul, and Sooeun.
 
"Kind of. How are Haemin and the others? Are they done?" he asks, making me to feel the heartache again for not being a good friend for them.
 
"I... Is it okay if I tell you they're not in a good condition right now after the presentation? It won't affect you, right?" the obvious tone in my words is obvious.
 
"What's wrong?" he quickly asks me. "Yah, don't be too cautious. I'll be just fine. What's wrong with them?"
 
As if his words calm me down immediately, I tell him everything. A tear escapes my eyes when I almost end the story, "I don't know what to say to them..."
 
"Maybe it's nothing but mere words," he tries to think positive. "Don't think too much. Well, cry if it can help. It's nothing ridiculous."
 
I wipe my tears and take a deep breath, "Thank you for listening. Let's just pray for the best for them."
 
It feels like something heavy is just lifted from my shoulder. I smile weakly and say, "Good luck for tomorrow, Myungsoo."
 
"Take it easy, Hyung. Give my greetings to them," he speaks through the phone. "And thank you for your good luck."

The conversation left many questions in my mind. It's obvious now that I'm no one but just a friend for him. I know that he doesn't think of me as someone special for him by the way he talked to me.
 
Isn't it funny how he could make me feel better just by a few minutes?

Isn't it stupid for me to wish for more from him?

Isn't it ridiculous for me to fall for him when I know we're not meant to be?




__________



Author's Note:

I noticed that I picked up the pace too fast lately with this story and I apologize for it.
To be honest, since this story is based on true events, I have a little problem with choosing the memorable moments to write and it caused me like writing random chapters.

I'll try to fix the pace on the next chapter.
Thank you~ ^^