23 ★ Unrequited Love

The Star-Crossed Hearts

My phone vibrates, a notification of a new text message. I immediately check it to read the message from Myungsoo.
 
"Hyung, where are you? I'm arrived."
 
A smile appears on my face but I quickly shrug it off, afraid that my two friends will realize that something is unusual about me, "Myungsoo has arrived. I'll tell him to come here, okay?"
 
"Sure!" Moon nods in excitement, looking as cheerful as usual. She resumes her conversation with Sungyeol who sits right across from me while we wait for the others to come.
 
Weeks after our graduation day, Moon finally visits Seoul back. She works out of the town for time being due to her task so she hasn't met us for the past three months except on graduation rehearsal and graduation day.
 
That's why she is really excited to gather today for a new movie. It's about dancing and I accepted her offer right away since I also want to meet her.
 
Besides Myungsoo will also come today.
 
I'm such a strange, unbelievable person. I keep changing my decision from time to time. I can't believe what I'm doing either but I think I can't lie to my heart everytime.
 
Moon is Myungsoo's groupmate for the final project and she is also one of the best students in our class along with Woohyun. Therefore I believe that Myungsoo will come no matter what.
 
It's selfish. I know. Is it wrong?
 
"Yo!"
 
I stop drinking my iced chocolate and turn around to see the person who can make me smile even without saying a word, the guy who can push me to the deepest darkness just by a single act, and the one who has made me confused for the past eight months.
 
Yes. Eight months. I never did this before. Eight months of unrequited love is not a good thing to be proud of for me.
 
It's the worst. I mean what is worse than knowing you want something but you can never have it?
 
"We need to go now," I glance at my wristwatch and sling my bag on shoulder. "The movie will start in ten minutes. Come on."
 
I try my best not to look at him secretly on purpose or act different towards him. I don't want anyone to notice that he is different in my eyes.
 
Call me silly or stupid. I know we're not in high school anymore. We're young adults but, hey, hearts are not things you can play with easily, right?
 
If they notice and they start to tease me with Myungsoo... What if he is uncomfortable with it? What if he thinks it's the nbest if he doesn't meet me anymore? What if...
 
Thinking of it makes my heart wrenches already.
 
Sometimes I really think this condition is actually the best. As long as there is nothing started, I don't need to worry about how or when or why it will end.
 
Selfish, eh?
 
"Kim Myungsoo," I sigh and glare at him. "Can you just stop biting your finger?"
 
The movie has ended and we are discussing about our next destination. I have been distracted by Myungsoo ever since we're at the movie but Moon actually sat between us so we didn't talk at all.
 
"Eh? Oh. This," he grins playfully and lowers his hand, tucking it in his pocket. "Aish, you're like my mother, Hyung!"
 
I look away in embarrasment. It's my habit to warn people around me whenever they're doing something unpleasant to me. Am I really too noisy because of my habit?
 
"Ah, right, don't you want to ask her to come?" Sungyeol raises his eyebrow, obviously teasing Myungsoo. "Did she ask you again this week, Myungsoo?"
 
Myungsoo laughs and continues to walk, "Don't even bring it up."
 
"Who?" Woohyun asks, voicing my curiosity. At least I don't need to show it. I guess both of us are really curious, in a different way and reason. "Who is 'her' that you two talking about? Something we don't know, eh?"
 
Moon has returned since she needs to gather with her family while the rest of us decide to grab something to drink at the new restaurant and meet up with another friend who just left his house to meet us.
 
We take the short route through the public park, talking about random topic to spend the time with.
 
I walk in front of Myungsoo, right next to Sungyeol. I slow down my pace to listen to the interesting conversation. It's more like there is a warning sign around all of a sudden.
 
"Eh? You don't know?" Sungyeol grins and looks at Myungsoo. "There is a girl who is making moves on him. Love, love!"
 
My eyes widen in shock and I don't even pay attention to where I am walking anymore, "Seriously?!"
 
My focus is not at the right place anymore. I accidentally bump onto the street lamp. It's just my left arm but I flinch in pain, trying my best not curse at anything.
 
"Woah, woah, take it easy, Hyung," Myungsoo laughs along with the others. "Don't be that shocked just because of me."
 
So much for trying to act cool, Su Riah.
 
"Myungsoo, you made her shocked because someone is interesting in you!" Woohyun throws random joke, causing them to laugh in unison while I just stick out my tongue as my reply.
 
Myungsoo definitely has no idea at all that I am really, really shocked because of him. Is it because I am really good in hiding my feeling or is it just because he is too insensitive?
 
"So there is this girl," Sungyeol starts to spill the secret. "She works in the same office with Myungsoo and she keeps asking him out every weekend!"
 
"Really?" Woohyun rests his arm on Myungsoo's shoulder. He whistles happily, "We have a Mr Popular here!"
 
"It's kind of scary," Myungsoo shrugs Woohyun's arm away and laughs. "At least I am good in making excuses to refuse her invitation. Just like today."
 
To be honest I feel relieved when I hear his statement. It means he is not interested in whoever this girl we're talking about, right?
 
This is too much. Seriously. If it's about Kim Myungsoo, it likes my heart is riding on a roller coaster, riding up and down during surprising moment, spinning around, speeding up and slowing down whenever it wants to.
 
"Six already," I murmur to myself when we're already at the new restaurant. My mother will pick me up since she is around the area in minutes. "The time is up, I guess..."
 
"You're leaving already?" Sungyeol asks, propping his chin on palm. "Aish, you're no fun! The night is still young!"
 
I frown and scoff, "Yeah, yeah. Unfortunately I have time limit."
 
"Ah, Hyung, so fast!" Myungsoo puts down his glass and fakes a disappointed expression. "Why, why?"
 
This guy...
 
"I'm leaving then," I stand up and move over my chair. I wave to them and walk away, "I'll see you guys next time."
 
I quickly rush to the elevator, cupping my face with both of my hands. It's warm because I'm actually blushing.
 
Kim Myungsoo, are you trying to make the world knows about how much I love you?