(Episode 4) Chapter 16

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-- October 29, 2017, 10:00 AM --
-- Lee Mansion, Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul --

Sunmi took her attention away from the module she was answering when her phone beeped. Sunmi saw a text from Jongmin. It read:

Detectives, please meet me at Sangsang Art High School at 12:30 PM.

She just finished reading it when her phone rang. She picked it up.

“Oh, oppa.” She greeted the person on the line.

“Did you get Jongmin-hyung’s text?” He asked her.

“Yes, I just finished reading it. I’m about to get ready.” She answered.

“Okay. I’ll pick you up in an hour. Let’s have lunch together.” He said before ending the call. Sunmi just rolled her eyes, already used to his antics, before she headed to her room.

“Chunghee-unnie, Oh Sehun is coming by in an hour. Please let security know so they can let him in.” Sunmi told Chunghee before she started getting ready.

-- October 29, 2017, 11:00 AM --
-- Lee Mansion, Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul --

The PA tablet in Sunmi’s room rang as she was putting the last-minute touches on her outfit. She answered it.

“Yes, unnie?” 

“Mr. Oh is here, Miss Sunmi.” Chunghee let her know.

“Thank you. I’ll be heading down now.” She said as she hurriedly gathered her belongings and stuffed them into a black bag that went with her outfit. She did one last check in the mirror before exiting the room and heading downstairs. Once she got to the living room, she laughed.

“Why are you dressed like that?” She asked Sehun who smiled when he saw her outfit. It looked like they coordinated with each other to match when it was purely coincidental.

“We’ve dressed alike. They might tease us.” Sunmi told him as they made their way into his car parked in front of the house.

“You don’t have time to change anymore. We still need to eat. We might be late.” Sehun told her. He was secretly loving the fact that they matched. He started the car and headed towards the gates.

“What do you want for lunch?” He asked her.

“Samgyupsal.” She answered and he laughed, exiting the mansion’s gates and heading towards a delicious samgyupsal restaurant. Sunmi fiddled with his radio.

“How’s your shoulder?” He asked her.

“Better. The doctor suggested I wear a shoulder brace to help speed the healing.” Sunmi informed him. Suddenly, it began raining.

“Did you bring an umbrella? It’s raining.” She asked.

“I have two in the back.” Sehun answered her. After a few minutes, they arrived at the restaurant.

-- October 29, 2017, 12:26 PM -- 
-- Sangsang Art High School, Seoul --

After lunch, they headed to Sangsang Art High School. They finally arrived at the parking area and Sunmi was about to get out when Sehun parked.

“Stay in the car.” Sehun told her as he reached for the two umbrellas on the second row. He opened his car door and pushed one umbrella out, opening it before he stepped out of the car and closed the door. Then, he made his way over to the passenger’s side where Sunmi was, and opened the door for her. He opened the other umbrella and handed it to her.

“My hero.” Sunmi joked as she rolled her eyes at his actions and he smirked at her.

“Can you get me my hat.” He asked, pointing to the hat that was on the dashboard in front of her. She grabbed it before facing him and putting it on for him in a stylish way.

“Come on. We’ll be late.” Sunmi told him as she started walking towards the school gates. On their way there, they saw Sejeong walking ahead of them. Sunmi was about to call out to her and join her instead when Sehun grabbed her and shook his head.

“You know there’s a possibility they’re  going to call us out, right?” She asked him.

“I don’t care.”  He said as they reached the gate where Sejeong had just entered. They could see everyone except for Jaewook there already.

“Sejeong is here too. Hey, Sehun. Hey, Sunmi.” Jaesuk called out as he saw the three young detectives. He then saw the outfits that Sehun and Sunmi were wearing.

“Hey, these two look so…” He mentioned as he continued to look at them.

“Is there a fashion show happening today or what? You both look dashing today. Why are you guys dressed so similarly?” Jaesuk questioned them both which they just laughed at.

“But seriously, why?” Kwangsoo asked them.

“I don’t know. He was like this when he came to my house.” Sunmi answered.

“Oh! Does that mean that you both came here together?” Sejeong teased them.

“My dad doesn’t want me driving yet because of my shoulder. So, he picked me up.” Sunmi reasoned out to everyone.

“One person isn't here yet. The former agent.” Jongmin explained and everyone looked towards the entrance to see if he had arrived.

“Gosh, he's really late. Shouldn't he be more punctual? Why is he so late?” Jaesuk nagged which made Sunmi giggle. After a few moments, they saw him trip in a puddle near the gate.

“Detective Ahn! Hurry up already. We have a new case.” Jaesuk rushed him which made everyone laugh as he just walked towards them as if he wasn’t late.

“Detective Ahn.” Jaesuk called again.

“It's nice to see you guys.” Jaewook greeted nonchalantly.

“Hurry up, please. I told you that we have a new case.” Jaesuk requested.

“All right.” Jaewook was so chill about it which made everyone laugh again.

“Can you try to be a little more interested? We have a case…” Jaesuk started but just sighed and turned his attention to Jongmin instead. 

“Everyone is here now. What's the case?” Jaesuk asked Jongmin.

“Now that everyone is here, first, I'll tell you guys everything that happened today.” Jongmin informed them.

“Something must have happened.” Kwangsoo observed.

“I work at an errand service center.” Jongmin reminded everyone.

“Right.” Jaesuk nodded.

“I went out on a job.”

“And?”

“The job was to collect interest from someone.”

“Wait, you went to collect an interest payment? That's unusual.” Jaesuk interrupted.

“Well, we do everything.” Jongmin happily said.

“Really? Anyway, what happened?” Jaesuk asked him to continue.

I got there and they said they didn't have any money. So I sat down, but right at that moment...At that tteokbokki place, there's that sweet…” Jongmin was having difficulty narrating, forgetting some of the events already. The women started laughing.

“What are you doing?” Jaesuk asked him.

“Are you drunk?” Kwangsoo added.

“Hey. Look at ‘Mr. Former Agent’. He's all angry now. He's fuming mad.” Jaesuk told Jongmin.

“Anyway, I sat down, waited a little, and started eating my tteokbokki. There's this thing called Sweetness Storage. Apparently, someone has been eating the goods in it.” Jongmin narrated.

“And?” Jaesuk asked him to continue.

“So, I promised them that I'd catch the thief for them, and I did catch him, but it was a kid.” Jongmin recounted.

“I kept interrogating that kid and found out that he had this diary. So, I asked the owner of the tteokbokki place about her. They told me she died.” Jongmin said and everyone was shocked.

“So I found out that she was found dead on the reed field at Songdo Central Par

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter