I'm In Love

LOVE: OVERDUE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

PLAYLIST: “I’m in Love,” Narsha

 

DOHEE

 

I wake up in a dazed state, it almost feels like a hangover. I rub the sting away from my eyes as they hit me. I cried myself to sleep last night, such a classic always gets me. It’s like the start of every romantic-comedy movie, except I don’t wake up with a guy beside me whom I’ve had an accidental one-night stand with and we both scream in terror but later on get to know each other, we fall in love and get married. Roll credits. Except there’s no guy … and definitely no one-night stand. Hell, I don’t even know how a half-night stand feels, let alone one whole night of it. Although, I’d definitely take half if it means I get to experience it a little bit. Ugh, why am I so desperate?

I get up with my arms all stretched out. It’s Sunday today and it means another day off. I wish the day goes by fast so I could get back to work and get distracted. Yesterday was atrocious. Chansung ends up being an A-hole because he got his then-girlfriend pregnant. When she told him, he broke up with her and told her to get an abortion. And take note, these all happened in a span of two weeks, so basically in the middle of us getting to know each other through Tinder.

It was so embarrassing last night when his ex-girlfriend came. She didn’t really fight me but basically exposed the A-hole in front of me and everybody—still just as humiliating as if she exposed me as a mistress. I wanted to hide. I wanted to disappear. I wanted to turn back time and just never went in there. I felt so trapped.

But then something unexpected happened.

Baekhyun … got involved somehow and it was my fault. I don’t know what came to me but as soon as I left the chaos, it started raining on my beautiful hair and I just freaked out. He was the first and only person I thought of when I started crying. To make my pathetic story short, he ended up picking me up from that hell hole and driving me home. I felt so bad for putting him through it when he literally had no business whatsoever regarding my chaotic and non-existent love life. I felt like such a nuisance. He didn’t make me feel so, I just somehow felt it on my own. He was actually quite sweet for doing everything that he did. He didn’t even grill me for details at all. His presence last night was more than enough and he seemed to have known that.

It was a nice feeling, even for a short period of time. I actually felt like I had a real friend … and I haven’t felt that in a long time.

I feel indebted of him. I need to leave a huge tip again, or maybe I might even resort to buying some of their products in the salon because I believe he gets commission from that. Right? Hm, that gets me curious now.

I grab my phone from the bottom of the bed just beside my feet—don’t ask me how it got there because I have no answer—and texted him. I don’t know why I am suddenly messaging him for such a useless question but I just need to get it out so I can make up my mind. Do I leave a huge tip on Monday for a simple bang trim or do I buy some hair products I will never use because I don’t take care of my hair unless, worst-case scenario, say, Baekhyun puts a gun on my head? Which one is more worth it? I start typing. Hello! Do you get commission on hair products? I send it and stare at the message box, waiting for the word Seen to appear.

Wait, I should have at least said good morning. It’s nine in the morning and I am throwing a very random question. Also, I don’t even usually message him at all unless absolutely necessary. I guess last night made a bit of a difference. I feel, somehow, a bit closer to him. I quickly add another message. And good morning! Haha. I hit send

Ugh, my messages are definitely not in order but whatever. Finally, however, I see the word Seen for both messages. I get off the bed and skipped to the bathroom to wash my face. I wear my fleece headband on and start splashing cold water across my face. It took me about two minutes to finish and when I stood straight again, I feel my lower back crack. “Oh god.” I yelp while rubbing the area. “Not pretty, Dohee. Not pretty.” I shake my head in disappointment. Just then, I get a very straightforward answer from Baekhyun.

Good morning. Yes.

Geez, even in a text he gives the same vibes. I leave the bathroom and walk straight to my living room. I turn the TV on and sat down. For the next half an hour or so, I just watch random stuff, flipping through channels for like an eternity. I should probably finish the drama I am watching. I need to know what happens after that kissing scene, although I could already imagine the next coming episodes to be all fluff and romantic soundtracks playing in the background.

My little potato moment was, however, disturbed when I hear my front door open. I gasp in surprise which quickly reduced back down to realization when I see my parents get in. Oh crap. I meet eyes with them just as soon as I started kicking random trash on the floor under my couch and folding the two fleecy blankets hung on the side. “Oh, Eomma. Appa!” I grin and start gathering the empty cup noodles and can of pop on my coffee table.

I must say, way too late, Shim Dohee.

I see my mom’s disappointed look as they remove their shoes at the entryway. “Dohee, we got you some food from your cousin’s birthday yesterday. What were you so busy about yesterday that you didn’t come?” My father asked before getting into my bathroom. Oh double patty crap—I just hand-washed my underwear and bra two days ago and I hung it there—yes, I haven’t folded them yet because I was lazy. They were just there. I mean, I’m all alone anyway. “Oh go—Shim Dohee!” I hear him groan inside, just as expected. “Please tell me you didn’t have your undergarments in there for your father to see.” Eomma then pleaded in desperation. In my defense, I didn’t know they’d come and I was planning to finally fold them today since I have no plans.

“Yikes, sorry,” I say before rushing to the kitchen to throw the trash in my arms.

My mother follows me into the kitchen and she goes straight to my cupboard for inspection. Oh, good god. I look away to avoid her eyes as soon as I hear a groan. “I thought you got groceries recently?” She asked. I quickly open my fridge to show her. “Yes! I got eggs and some green onions and some … packed curry mix—actually, you can see the curry in the cupboard—I have—I haven’t … used it.” I scratch my head in realization. “Anyway, how are you and Appa? What’s the plan for your anniversary next month? I promise I’m coming this time.” I spoke.

She shrugged her shoulders right away. “Probably nothing, why? It’s just an anniversary, it’s been happening for thirty-five years, it’s not that special. Besides, when did your dad ever celebrate stuff like that, really? He never even gave me flowers unless it’s specifically on sale. He doesn’t even wrap it nicely, the last flowers I received from him were wrapped in newspaper.” She then started taking out containers of food off the plastic bags they came along with. “Yah, what crap are you saying to your daughter again? You, can you stop talking behind my back? Tell that to my face.” My father came with a grunt. “Why, isn’t it true? What was your reason for buying the flowers again? Oh, it’s not even because it was Valentines’s Day. You got it because the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter