One More Night

LOVE: OVERDUE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

PLAYLIST: “One More Night,” TK

 

DOHEE

 

I stir in my sleep dazedly, groaning in pleasure. A familiar scent surrounds me like a hug. I am dreaming of a garden; tall trees, eccentric flowers, and somehow, a disco ball? Wait, that’s the sun, never mind. As I walk through the mushy grass, a bright silhouette welcomes me like an angel sent from above. Light brown puffy hair, pale skin, and polished white teeth beaming at me. His forearm surrounds my waist as soon as I am close enough, allowing me to see his face more clearly.

It’s Byun Baekhyun—my favorite stylist. My first kiss. ‘What are you doing here?’ I huff, my hands pressed on his arms—I am definitely not purposely feeling those firm biceps. I am also definitely not checking out his chest as he breathes heavily against my face. ‘I am going to marry you here. I took your first kiss, and I am ready to take responsibility for our baby.’ He smiles wider before leaning down to kiss my lips—

“I’m not pregnant!” I wrench awake and my eyes gaze around the unfamiliar room. I am neither in my bedroom nor my living room, where am I—oh, I quickly realize that I am still in my hotel room. Right, I’m in Busan. With Byun Baekhyun. Upon my recollection, scenes from last night reran in my head.

Oh gosh, I had my first kiss and later on made out with Baekhyun last night.

I reach for my lips, surprised at the unexpected sensation against it—as if the kiss had just happened seconds ago. I feel it again, welcoming my still groggy state with a bang. “What did we do.” I slap my own cheek, hoping it would shake me enough to wake up from this double dream. There is no way I just woke up from yet another dream. I am not budging at all, at this point my cheek is just red against my palm. This is pointless. I am awake, for God’s sake.  I find myself tangled in the blanket and I frantically crawl over to the edge, eventually tumbling off the mattress. I scramble upright while looking around, despite knowing I am still very much alone.

I quickly turn to the bed again, checking if there’s any surprise there, like … a Baekhyun. Nope! I’m safe. I palm my chest in huge relief. Even though I have a clear memory of everything that happened last night, I just couldn’t help but check.

Do you know what I mean? It happens in movies. You just wake up one day and boom! your ity’s gone because of a drunken one-night stand.

I pace to the bathroom to pee but before I could even pull down my shorts, there comes a knock. “Just a second!” I shout, peeking out the door. I get back to my business and finish as quickly as I can before hurrying to the door. I hope this isn’t room service because then, I’d have to talk to strangers and I refuse to do that in the morning unless I am at work—in short unless I am getting paid to socialize. I am rather drained from last night, I feel like I’ve used up all the powers I never even thought I had in the first place.

I swing the door open and the face from my stupid dream welcomes me. For some reason, I hide behind the door as soon as I realize it was him. I’m not even remotely at all. “Good morning.” He greets with a reluctant smile. “I’m just checking on you, it’s already nine in the morning. I wonder if you want to go out for breakfast?” He invites and I eventually calm down in his presence. What am I doing? He didn’t do anything bad. From what I recall, he even asked for my permission and I stupidly stared at his lips until he takes it as a yes. I scratch my neck as I look deep into my hotel room, examining nothing.

I turn to him again when I find no excuse to decline. “Yes, sure. Are we … driving home right after eating?” I ask him.

I catch his expression change as if I have said something that disappointed him. “I mean, do you want to? I thought we will go tour ar—you know what, it’s okay. Sure, we can go straight home if that’s what you like.” He smiles and I could tell it was forced. Oh right, we did make plans together. Because of the kiss—or should I say kisses—I feel rather awkward around him. But … it’s still him. He’s still Byun Baekhyun, the kindest, gentlest, most caring man I’ve ever known. Nothing changed. He only gave me that second kiss—or should I say kisses, again—because he felt bad for something that I did to myself, I kissed him in front of his family. That’s all it was. For him, it was only charity.

He was being kind and caring like the usual, Shim Dohee. Don’t make him suffer just because you’re stupid and awkward. “You know what, you’re right. Why would we waste our time here? I did say I wanted to check out a beach.” I clear my throat before opening the door wider for him. “Do you want to wait here? I’ll just get ready quickly.” He gives me a faint nod before heading in. “Actually, don’t laugh at me but … I’m also kind of waiting for my parents to give me a call if they want to see me one more time before they fly back tomorrow.” He suddenly admits. My expression softens up as I stare at his back.

It’s sad that his parents didn’t even decide to stay a bit longer to spend time with him. He told me it’s because of work, they can’t stay longer. Yeah right, I bet it’s the ogre’s decision.

All the hurtful words that came out of his father’s rude mouth replays in my head. I rush to follow him and instead of verbally cheering him up, I find myself wrapping my arms around his waist from behind. What am I doing?! Why can’t I help it? Whenever I feel like crap like he probably is feeling right now, I always need a hug and I just feel like he would need one too? I don’t know, am I just a weird and clingy human being or a hug really do wonders to a person?

I feel his body jolt ever so slightly against me. I just feel for him so much. I go through a rather similar thing and I know how it feels not to have a voice and a chance to be true to yourself to the people you expect would accept you no matter what. That’s why I tried my best to be his voice last night. I really really care about him. I really do.

He’s my best friend.

“I’m really sorry if I made things worse for you. I should have just kept my mouth shut last night.” I whisper against his shirt. “What are you saying? You didn’t make anything worse—hey.” He turns around while chuckling until I feel him hooking my shoulders with his firm hands. He bends lower to level my face. “Are you really blaming yourself? There’s nothing that could make my relationship with my dad any worse. If anything, … I’m hoping you had made some changes.” One side of his lips rises into a grin. “Nobody has ever called him out like that.”

I shamefully look back into his eyes. “So, you don’t hate me?” I inquire to ease my concern. Now, the other side of his lips curve up as well and he’s giving me a full smile. “Are you kidding me? I actually feel the exact opposite of hate. The exact opposite, Shim Dohee.” He explains and I sigh in relief. Phew, that’s good to know that he doesn’t hate me after what I did. I really thought I ruined them for good. I tap his hands before turning away. “That’s such a relief. I really didn’t want to lose you as a friend. I was really wild last night. You see, I’m very lightweight with alcohol, no matter what alcohol it is. I tend to drink it unknowingly like juice, I am an idiot drinker.” I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. From my peripheral vision, I watch Baekhyun sit on the edge of my bed.

Immediately, I feel tense. I just slept on that bad. I was having a dream about him in that bed. I was in that bed. And now, he’s sitting on it. I somehow feel very bare in his sight. I fear that he’ll see through me easily, like always. I’m afraid that he’ll find out that I accidentally dreamt about him proposing to me in some weird forest with a disco ball. Wait, that’s the sun. Why do I keep thinking it was a disco ball? 

I look away when he turns to me. Please please please, don’t mention anything about last night’s kissing incidents.

I stare at myself in the mirror and suddenly, my strangely creative mind starts imagining crap. Baekhyun walking up behind me, cradling me in his arms, burying his luscious lips on the crook of my neck, tickling my skin wet. His eyes search mine from the mirror before his hand slips into my—

I bend down to spit. Oh god—Shim Dohee, stop it. Stop. Stop. Stop. I rinse my mouth before harshly wiping it with a towel. My eyes turn rounder as I replay my own imaginations. This is why I do not want to find out that he’s straight. And on top of that, we kissed like animals last night!

Ugh, calling ourselves animals just makes me replay that scene in the garden again.

Is there any way for me to forget about it? Like permanently?

“Dohee.” I flinch hard when I hear my name through his voice. I lean on the counter while holding onto it from behind. He is now standing by the door frame of the bathroom. Dohee, calm your jets down. He’s not about to do what you were just imagining! You have a totally different image of Byun Baekhyun in your head, he’s not like that. Not because he kissed you so passionately and hungrily last night mean—I look away before I start thinking out loud again. “Eomma just texted me. They asked if … we want to have brunch with them. It’s really up to you since my dad will be there again. What do you think?” He asks, sounding genuinely anxious.

I sigh. “Baekhyun, it’s not up to me. You should decide, okay? I will be okay either way. Trust me, I don’t mind what you end up deciding on.” I smile at him for reassurance.

Once I know he was back on the bed and far enough, I step out and rush to my bags. I take out a simple Sunday dress to wear. I could tell from the window that it’s bright and sunny outside so it’ll be perfect to wear less. Also, we’re going to the beach so why not, right? I might take a couple of hundred selfies and never post any of them on social media and leave them in my camera roll for the next two years until I get the notification that I don’t have any memory space for more and that’s only when I delete them.

Baekhyun watches me as I take out my necessities to take a quick shower. “Do you want me to do your hair? I’ll get my tools.” He stands up from my bed but I stop him. “No no no, don’t worry about it. Not today, I’ll just tie my hair up in a bun.” I kindly decline before hurrying back to the bathroom. Is it weird to take a shower while having a man waiting for me right outside? It should be fine, right? It’s not like he’s gonna sneak into the bathroom and join me in the shower—OH MY GOD, SHIM DOHEE, YOU NASTY . I need therapy. I never thought a first kiss would cause me this much stress and emotion

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter