S.C.H

LOVE: OVERDUE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

PLAYLIST:

“S.C.H. (Small but Certain Happiness),” Standing Egg

 

BAEKHYUN

 

Tap. Tap. Tap. I look up from my phone, slipping my headphones off my ears. It’s Taewoo, my fellow director stylist. “Baekhyun, we’re heading out for barbeque later; do you want to come? Yeonji and Haebin’s going to close as soon as Sara’s finish with the last client of the day, she’s almost done. The others already left so we can get a good table at the place.” He invited reluctantly. He already knows the answer but he does it anyway, I appreciate it. “No, pass. I’m a little tired today. You guys have fun though.” I decline right away.

I don’t understand how they can party after working long hours like today. I physically and mentally cannot, I like to reward myself by resting after working hard.

I walk over to my locker to gather my stuff. “Alright, dude. Just thought you might want to come since you are off tomorrow. Anyway, good work today. See you Wednesday.” He threw me a thumbs up which I acknowledged with a light nod.

I step out of the staff room and bid my goodbyes to the other staff. “Oh? Sunbae, you’re not coming with us?” Sara asked, looking away briefly from her client who looked kind of irritated that she even looked away for a second—after all, she’s been here sitting for five hours. She chose it, it’s not Sara’s fault she wanted platinum in one day, it’s usually not recommended but she was persistent. I personally do not enjoy dealing with clients like her. “Next time. Have fun.” I give her a brief answer before heading away. I walk over to the front desk lastly to check my schedule. I could check it on my phone later but I prefer checking it as I go in and out of the salon so I could make adjustments with the receptionists if I ever need to, in a more efficient way for the both of us.

“Not coming for barbeque, Sunbae?” Yeonji asked and pushed the mouse towards me so I could scroll through my schedule for Wednesday. I’m back-to-back busy, I like that. Haebin who was counting down cash looked up with a pout. “Oh, no. Why not? We’re going karaoke after too, Sunbae. It’s going to be fun.” She then said the same thing. For what it seemed like the millionth time, I shake my head. “No, I have to head home soon. Sorry guys, next time.” I glue my eyes down the monitor. “If you could just please make sure you confirm my twelve o’clock and four o’clock bookings on Wednesday, okay? Thank you. Have a good night, ladies. Don’t forget to double-check everything when you close.” I then step out of the desk and walk out.

I go to the back of the salon to get to my car. “Finally done.” I sigh to myself.

It was a long day, indeed. I tend to get internally exhausted when I socialize too much. I believe it’s normal but no one likes to admit that. I had a lot of talkative clients today; they drain me out the most. Well, there was one exception though, so it makes my day a little better. I throw my pouch to the backseat before starting the engine.

I drive away to my usual route and that means getting a glimpse of Bean Hub where she works at.

I see her right away. Shim Dohee. “The braid is holding up pretty well, good girl,” I say to myself; my eyes scan the back of her head as she turned around. She tends to touch her hair a lot and sometimes, I spot her during her work hours having her hair—that I did—completely gone down. She has stubborn thick and wavy hair. I always have to texturize her hair to make it more easily manageable for both of us—sometimes, she comes in only for texturizing. I straight permed it last year but she didn’t like the maintenance of it either, she said it’s too much work once it starts growing and she doesn’t want to pay that much again for a root touch-up. I warned her about that from the very beginning but she really wanted to try it, I just couldn’t say no because it’s her. Now, she has to live with having to manipulate her hair as the natural wave grows out. No more wash and wear for her, sadly. But again, I warned her about it. I don’t understand why some people think chemical processes in hair is actually permanent—they think the roots will be the same way when it grows. It doesn’t. I always thought that was common sense but I guess not for everyone.

Dohee smiled towards a direction which I follow with my gaze, it’s that guy again. The owner of the café. As I can’t slow down for too long, I look away to drive off.

The thing is … I like her very much. I’m very fond of her and I’ve always been clearly aware of it. I think she’s beautiful. I adore her bubbly yet timid personality, it’s rare. I just don’t know how to like her the way she’d want to be liked; she’s very oblivious of reality. She tells me everything and when I say everything, it’s everything. It surprises and confuses me sometimes but I guess she just knows I could be trusted. I know her type … and it doesn’t seem to be me at all, not even ten percent close.

And also, she’s my client. I try to be as professional as I can.

Anyway, back to my reality. I arrive home pretty fast, not much traffic on the way. I breathe in the familiar scent of my home as I get in. I love being home, I love staying home. I love being alone. It’s just the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter